PDA

View Full Version : Animal Abuse

lilinvestigator
July 6th, 2009, 9:46 PM
A sad story.

Ok ya'll I'm from the dallas area, I got on here to discuss the 263 rocky road case, but today something came to my attention. I'm moving at the end of this month to a new place. I had to go do the move in inspection today. Upon arrival at the new place there was a german sheperd tied up on a ramp post.

From a distance you could see the dog had been starved. Every rib bone visible. To make things even worse the dog had a heavy medal chain severly embedded into it's neck. The place called animal control which could have come out until tmr. I could have taken it to my nearest animal control, but they would have only put the dog down.

This german shepherd is 2-3 years old, and full blooded. She has survived a very long time with no food, and dragging at least 20 extra pounds of chain with her. I google german shepherd rescues in my area, and only one website came up. http://ntxgsdrescue.org/. this was after trying the spca and a few vets to see if she would survive removal of the chain.

So I call one of the numbers on this website, and talk to one of the rescue volunteers. I explain the situation. She assists in getting this beautiful, strong willed german shepherd medical attention. I have taken on the position of fostering this animal due to the critical need of tlc it needs, and the fact that through all the turmoil, it survived. So 9pm I get a call from the vet. I've decided to call the dog Serene, like her mood seemed to be. Serene had made it through the chain removal, and we just have to wait out the infection period. The infection was really bad.

With everything the way it is, there is a huge lack of foster families for rescue assistance, and a huge lack of money to assist. Although this dog was able to get assisted, and will be found a lovely home, the next one might not. Think about your pet. If you could, please donate to an animal rescue near you, or even this one. It's sad, that pets give so much and take so little, but yet so many are treated so badly. Please help others help dogs.

once again, if you would like to help with serene, the website is http://ntxgsdrescue.org/ they also have many dogs up for adoption waiting for a good home.

lilinvestigator
July 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Ok ya'll serena is doing well. She is eating good and taking fluids. She will be at the vets yet again another whole day and night. She was in really bad shape. will see if i can post pics.

ok no pics of here can be pasted. If you go to the website a little later on I think she will have some posted

MeinLieberSchollie62
July 8th, 2009, 6:00 PM
It never amazes me how humans can treat animals in such horrid ways. I love animals and preferr their company over most humans ......... guess I learned that lesson over the years.
I do donate when ever the chance presents itself and also take in strays ... that is why my home hotel is full to the brim now lol ......
Good Luck and a prayer for Serena ...... I wish her the best .....

siamcat
July 8th, 2009, 7:33 PM
I don't understand how people treat some of their animals.
The laws around here are for minimum care. I have a neighbor who's dog (medium to large size) sit's in a cage in the back yard 90% of the time. I've never seen the dog out, but I can't say it's never out. The cage is big enough for it to pace 5 or 6 steps. It has a doghouse, a tarp for cover and shade. It has a waterbowl and a cooler with water ( most of time it's brown or green). It has food. The bottom is wooden crates/slats which most of the time is covered in at least 10-12 poopies.
Why have a dog if that is all it's purpose is?

Night Owl
July 9th, 2009, 8:33 AM
Why haven't you called animal control to check out the conditions? Complaining on a forum site isn't the way to fix the problem.

siamcat
July 9th, 2009, 1:14 PM
I called them and inquired, maybe I try some pictures and show them. They're short staffed and who knows if they ever came out.

FieryPrincess
July 9th, 2009, 5:43 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words. PLus it is evidence.

siamcat
July 9th, 2009, 6:15 PM
It's not easy trying to get a good pic blind over a 5 foot privacy fence, but I got a couple and will take them down tomorrow.

poundpup
July 9th, 2009, 9:03 PM
I agree that the state of foster families is sad, sad, sad.

Last year I started a foster operation for soldier's dogs, because I figured it was needed. Instantly I got inundated with calls from soldiers needing a temporary home for their dogs. (I refuse to get into the discussion whether soldiers should even own pets as long as they know they may be deploying)

Maybe I am weak... after a few months I closed my doors. I ran out of funding, since I could not generate a single dollar in donations, the heart ache was getting too much for one person to bear when I could not find homes for the deploying soldier, and the hours and hours I needed to spend to call people, explain my operation, go give speeches to encourage people to participate. I got many many pats on the back what a great job I was doing but not one single offer to help me.

The few families I found who would take in one or two soldier's pets for the duration of a deployment changed their minds after three to four months - they realized the huge burden one or two additional animals put on a household. Needless to say, after lots of efforts, I got stuck with the last two dogs because the former foster threatened to take them to the pound.

If you commit to a cause, please stay with it for the duration. It's not always easy, but it is worth seeing it through.

If you do not have a cause in your life, please find one - you will be amazed how it changes your life and others. It does not take huge involvement. If 30 people would take only one afternoon a month to volunteer just think how many beings could be helped in one month.

engteach64
July 10th, 2009, 6:04 AM
When we were in New York we had an adopt a pet program on post. I volunteered there for over a year. It broke my heart to see soldiers PCSing and just dumping off their pets. Many were brought in when the husband deployed because the wife didn't like the dog or cat. It was sad. We adopted Flash from this place. I'm a sucker for beagles. Flash was abused, had a pellet under his skin, and is to this day very skittish of loud noised. A pop bottle being opened scares him.

On Fort Drum if someone finds an abandoned animal they are not allowed to take it in or bring it to the vet. One person brought a dog in and was charged to leave it. You are supposed to call the MPs so they can bring the animal in, then the owners are located (since all on post animals must be chipped) and the owner is fined for abandonment, and charged for boarding until the animal is adopted, or they pay the fee to leave the dog or cat.

I finally had to quit volunteering there because it was all I could do not to cry every time I saw these poor animals.

I guess what I'm saying is take care of your pets. If you don't want to take your animals with you when you move then don't get one in the first place. Treat your animals like your kids (sort of). You get them their shots, feed and water them, and give them love. They don't give us anything but love no matter how some people treat them.

Good job lilinvestigator for taking on an abandoned animal. You obviously know how to treat animals.

And yes, keep plenty of water for your pets. Beagles have a huge thirst, and can't get enough water. Be sure to be aware of your own dogs thirst just like your own.

Okay, stepping off my soapbox.

stormy
July 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM
In 1994 I adopted a kitty from the humane society near Ft. Drum (think it was in Black River, but can't remember exactly). In '95 we PCS'd to Hawaii. We had no money back then (we were just starting out), but you better believe I coughed up the $150 it cost to fly her there and then another $700 for the mandatory 4 month quarantine in Hawaii. We PCS'd from Hawaii to here in '98, and in the fall of '03 she fell really ill. Spent a ton of money running tests and a surgery (our vet was Dr. Ledger at Town & Country--and Dr. Buckley ran some of the tests for Dr. Ledger, who both were and are awesome), and that did help for a few months, but in Jan. 2004 she became sick again and I had to put her down. That was quite possibly one of the hardest things I have ever done. Her name was Stormy.

CenTexDave
July 10th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Sorry you had to go through that. It's always hard. Last August I had to have my dog put down - she was 17 years old and she had been my friend since Dec 91. I think our cat misses her more than the rest of us.

Night Owl
July 10th, 2009, 3:46 PM
Dave
Its time for a new puppy. There are many out there that need a good home.

stormy
July 10th, 2009, 5:13 PM
Sorry you had to go through that. It's always hard. Last August I had to have my dog put down - she was 17 years old and she had been my friend since Dec 91. I think our cat misses her more than the rest of us.

Thanks, Dave. It's still hard to talk about it today. She was like my child. I teared up just typing that. 17 years is a very long time; I can't imagine how hard THAT must've been. I do know, when they asked me if I wanted to be in there with her when they did it, I said yes. Holding her for the last time as she went to sleep, I wanted her to know how much I loved her and the last thing she saw was me, and not a stranger.

I just can't understand how anyone can neglect an animal.

engteach64
July 10th, 2009, 6:49 PM
Stormy, Your story was so sweet. Three years ago we had to put our Ginger down. I put it off as long as I could. She was the best dog ever. We had her for 12 years, from 6 weeks old on. We could never have gotten a better dog. She would snub my husband if we argued, and yet she protected us all with her life (and almost lost it once). To this day I get weepy thinking about putting her down. I know it was the right thing to do for her, but feel that I should have held on longer and hoped for a peaceful death at home.

CenTexDave
July 10th, 2009, 6:49 PM
Stormy - I did the same. Stayed there with her and held her. She actually had tears in her eyes because I think she knew what was happening. But she had cancer and was in constant pain. I had tears in my eyes, too. My daughter couldn't even stay in there and ran crying from the examining room. They grew up together.
And Owl - thanks, but not thanks. I don't think I have the patience to house break a puppy.

Night Owl
July 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Dave
I said the same thing after we put our Cocker down. That puppy traveled all over the world with us and he was MY pup. The hardest thing I have ever done was put him down. If took about two years and we got our first Sheltie, named him Major. He earned his name because as a puppy he was a MAJOR pain in the butt. We now have four pups. The mini Dauchound is currently trying to get in my lap as I type. He is whinning and crying because I am ignoring him. Pups are great and they sure make things interesting at home.

broberts
August 31st, 2009, 11:08 AM
jeez, thanks, now they come and dump them out in the country where we live and then we have to deal with these animals.