PDA

View Full Version : Roofing Companies

xzochye
January 19th, 2019, 1:12 PM
It's time for me to bite the bullet and get a new roof. :crying Any company recommendations?

Also, any advice on dealing with my homeowners insurance? I have zero experience or knowledge in this area.

mac
January 19th, 2019, 1:30 PM
It's time for me to bite the bullet and get a new roof. :crying Any company recommendations?

Also, any advice on dealing with my homeowners insurance? I have zero experience or knowledge in this area.

Purser Construction.......best in the county.....

fchafey
January 19th, 2019, 1:45 PM
Martinez Roofing. Ask for 35 year shingles. Actually I recommend a metal roof. You probably will have to pay the difference between the insurance company giving you shingles. I wished I would have got a meat roof. Good luck. Oh and after they are done please ensure you check for roofing nails that will wash down the gutter and are laying in the yard. Some do a better job than others picking up after themselves. Those nails hurt and you will drop your beer should you step on one......

CenTexDave
January 19th, 2019, 2:24 PM
A&M Roofing out of Kempner replaced my entire roof 5 years ago, along with some other minor repairs, and did a great job.
Get 3 estimates before you even call your insurance company. When the adjuster comes you'll have a bit of ammo then. When the adjuster submits his report of damage
the insurance company will low ball you.

xzochye
January 19th, 2019, 3:27 PM
A&M Roofing out of Kempner replaced my entire roof 5 years ago, along with some other minor repairs, and did a great job.
Get 3 estimates before you even call your insurance company. When the adjuster comes you'll have a bit of ammo then. When the adjuster submits his report of damage

What exactly does the adjuster look for? Currently I only have 3 or 4 tabs missing, 1 from a storm over Christmas and 2 from today. However, I have had several replaced prior and a lot of the shingles are cupping.

CenTexDave
January 19th, 2019, 3:39 PM
Might not even be worth calling your insurance company about. Get those 3 estimates first. Then do the math - what they think it would cost less your deductible.
But with the shingles "cupping" as you say, probably time for a new one.
Better yet - if not leaking - wait until the next hail storm then call the insurance company.

xzochye
January 19th, 2019, 3:47 PM
Might not even be worth calling your insurance company about. Get those 3 estimates first. Then do the math - what they think it would cost less your deductible.
Better yet - if not leaking - wait until the next hail storm then call the insurance company.

I know it is time for a new one since this is the original roof and the house was built in '02. When I had a few shingles replaced 2 years ago the guy glued a couple more and told me it was time to start thinking about replacing it. He is just a handy man, not a roofer, so I know he wasn't trying to just get more money out of me.

Ricky
January 19th, 2019, 3:59 PM
Martinez Roofing. Ask for 35 year shingles. Actually I recommend a metal roof. You probably will have to pay the difference between the insurance company giving you shingles. I wished I would have got a meat roof. Good luck. Oh and after they are done please ensure you check for roofing nails that will wash down the gutter and are laying in the yard. Some do a better job than others picking up after themselves. Those nails hurt and you will drop your beer should you step on one......

He said meat roof :drool:drool:drool:yikeswhite::yikeswhite::yikeswh ite::bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl

Ricky
January 19th, 2019, 4:05 PM

I went with gingerbread and Gumdrop Seamless Gutters... chicks diggit.. giggity giggity goo.

kantwin
January 19th, 2019, 4:23 PM
Those nails hurt and you will drop your beer should you step on one......
Spilled beer = the adult equivalent of losing a balloon.

Ricky
January 19th, 2019, 4:43 PM

My shingles are made out of those Cleo Bay Honda Flyers that are sent out... the good part is every time we have a hail storm I Win $5,000 :))

sojourner truth
January 19th, 2019, 5:27 PM
The adjuster looks at signs of damage caused by hail and time. The material on the slates eventually erodes away and then hail damage can be seen as either dimples or cracks in the fiber material underneath.

Most companies will try and make it so you get it all paid for by the insurance company and then get your deductible too. That is supposedly not to happen, but then once you get the roof fixed you can be sure the insurance company, unless you have USAA, will try to make their money back by upping your annual rate. My rate went up 3 years in a row until I got smart and moved my policy to USAA. They di my wifes old car when we had the big hail storm a few years ago and I was betting their premium would go up a bunch but it did not.

In the past, my Killeen house had slab leaks that were costing me $1200 a pop to fix. After the 3rd one we had a company come in and overhead our water lines to eliminate the problem. This was our 3rd insurance claim that year and Allstate refused to renew our policy so we went to USAA as well for that. Allstate has been trying to get us back for 15 years now. 2 insurance companies I refuse to deal with are Geico and Allstate. Geico because they insured my cars when I was in Germany and then refused to insure the same car when I got back to the states. I was really pissed and went to Allstate where the agent said their policy was the same because my 82 Trans Am was considered a "racing car"... But then he insured my wifes car and told me that since she was insured by them, they had to take any other vehicles in the family. A loophole.

Never did like insurance companies much as they are betting you nothing that nothing in your life will go wrong all the while you are giving them money betting them that something will. Life insurance policies are the worst. You send them hundreds of dollars every month all your life and when you hit 65, they start raising the rates so you will cancel. Which I finally did. I could kick myself for throwing all that money away for all those years.

xzochye
January 19th, 2019, 6:05 PM
The adjuster looks at signs of damage caused by hail and time. The material on the slates eventually erodes away and then hail damage can be seen as either dimples or cracks in the fiber material underneath.

Most companies will try and make it so you get it all paid for by the insurance company and then get your deductible too. .

This is where I get so confused and worried. I have checked my policy and I don’t see any mention about the age of the roof. As I am researching it online I see some things that say I will only get what my roof is worth now and other articles that lead me to believe it won’t be an issue getting it all replaced. I am hoping I find someone that works the deductible in too. Mine is $1575 so it will be a bit painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ludwig
January 19th, 2019, 7:46 PM
I received excellent service from APEX Roofing when I got a new roof to replace the storm-damaged one three years ago. Talk to Mike Cochran at (512)660-4859. He's really easy to work with.

mac
January 19th, 2019, 10:54 PM

what Dave just said there is very important, XZ, wait till the next hail storm (if you can't see the sky through the roof) and then call 'em up 2 days later....mac

fchafey
January 20th, 2019, 7:26 AM
He said meat roof :drool:drool:drool:yikeswhite::yikeswhite::yikeswh ite::bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl

Damn, I meant steel roof.....

Dagobert II
January 20th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Last time I got a roof, after I recovered from the disappointment of finding out that I didn't qualify for a Good Hardworking Friends grant, (some nonsense about not being a member of the Club even though my Sam's Club membership was valid) I found a guy who said he could do it for whatever the insurance company (USAA) paid. He provided the date of the last hail storm, included my garden shed in his estimate and was present when the adjuster showed up to point out any damage the adjuster might miss and certify that the grade of shingles used qualified for a discount on my homeowner's policy. I looked for the name of his company in my check register but couldn't find it as I've evidently moved to a new register.

I've got to say I'm very satisfied with the job his crew did and am glad the wall was not yet in place, much as I'm sure the limitless city was when getting that fence around Skylark Field after 9/11.

Almost forgot to add, I also got an estimate for a metal roof but upon seeing it decided the insurance wouldn't go far enough to cover it's cost and as it would't come with an aggrandized story of my life engraved in hieroglyphs, there was no point in paying for a memorial.

downtown1974
January 24th, 2019, 12:21 AM
Reese Roofing is good and fair.!! I would avoid Martinez tar and leak and give and price.. starts work and then wants more $$

downtown1974
January 24th, 2019, 12:24 AM
Use a reputable local company!! So if you get a leak..?? You can show up at their office!!.. not a fly by nighter.. storm chaser..

sojourner truth
January 24th, 2019, 9:52 AM
Yep... We used a storm chaser last time mostly because we almost had to since nobody else was available for 6 months or more due to the huge numbers of roofs that needed repairing.

Some retreads from Colorado. They had to be scammers too since they did the "no deductible" option and the cost of the job was, amazingly, exactly what the insurance company said they would pay. Those are the ones you have to watch out for. Get the insurance companies quote first, do not tell the roofer what it is, and then get your estimate from them. If the insurance company says $11,000 and the roofer says the same, they are not worth the effort.

I went down and got the actual cost of the shingles, vents, and paper needed for the job and compared it to the roofers estimate and there was a considerable mark up. I will wait the time next time and go with a local company that has a good reputation. Lange roofing had a horrible wait time after the last storm. I hear they are good, but costly.

mac
January 24th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Reese Roofing is good and fair.!! I would avoid Martinez tar and leak and give and price.. starts work and then wants more $$

uh oh, downtown, you may be in a world of deep kimchi now........maybe you can get admin to delete this for you and hope no one got a "screen grab".......mac

mac
January 24th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Yep... We used a storm chaser last time mostly because we almost had to since nobody else was available for 6 months or more due to the huge numbers of roofs that needed repairing.

Some retreads from Colorado. They had to be scammers too since they did the "no deductible" option and the cost of the job was, amazingly, exactly what the insurance company said they would pay. Those are the ones you have to watch out for. Get the insurance companies quote first, do not tell the roofer what it is, and then get your estimate from them. If the insurance company says $11,000 and the roofer says the same, they are not worth the effort.

I went down and got the actual cost of the shingles, vents, and paper needed for the job and compared it to the roofers estimate and there was a considerable mark up. I will wait the time next time and go with a local company that has a good reputation. Lange roofing had a horrible wait time after the last storm. I hear they are good, but costly.

actually, these "storm chasers" or "travelers" you refer to them can do an exceptional job if you provide close and knowledgeable supervision but if left on their own, yep, they'll take you to the cleaners..

Personally, I don't care how much they make from AllState as long as I get a good roof and don't owe anybody anything.......

if you do use a "traveler" check every bundle as it comes off the truck and before it gets on the roof. check all the flashing around each vent, valley, eave and chimney......be very very 'picky' when you're checking the flashing because once they pull out of your driveway, you'll never ever seen them again and they can save themselves a lot of time by adopting a "good enuff" attitude regarding flashing.....don't forget the drip edging!......the last time i had shingles replaced, the crew was trying to leave while I was still checking.....found out they didn't put up the west drip edge....also, make damned sure they seal the chimney flashing........and finally, NEVER EVER NEVER pay a 'traveler' up front.......oh, and btw, a lot of 'traveler' teams are formed and managed by NASCAR drivers out of charlotte.......especially Dillon.....mac

gnatsum
January 28th, 2019, 6:01 PM
Biggest way to avoid a 'traveler' roofing company? Hire ONLY companies that have been in the area for years.

mac
January 28th, 2019, 6:32 PM
Biggest way to avoid a 'traveler' roofing company? Hire ONLY companies that have been in the area for years.

yep.....that's true.......but, of course, the only drawback to that is you will prob'ly have to wait a good while longer.....mac

gnatsum
January 29th, 2019, 8:00 AM
My parents' house was reroofed back in 1984 (when it was 20 years old), and again in 2005. First company was local, but I forgot who they are (IF they're still in business...) and I don't know if they did the later job or if it was someone else.

xzochye
March 5th, 2019, 5:52 PM
I finally sucked it up and had an adjuster and roofing company come out and I am happy to say I am getting a new roof!

mac
March 5th, 2019, 11:06 PM
who did you wind up getting, xz, if you don't mind my asking?......mac

xzochye
March 6th, 2019, 9:14 AM
who did you wind up getting, xz, if you don't mind my asking?......mac

Proclaim out of Dallas. They have great reviews and BBB rating. Plus I went to elementary school with the guy's mom so I can always get a hold of him! :))