PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Dog

Ludwig
July 26th, 2018, 8:27 AM
My dog obsessively knaws on her hindquarters. She has no mange, no flea and no visible reason for such behavior. It's so bad that her fur is coming out. What can I do?

My other dog keeps licking his front paws so much that they become discolored.

txswimmer
July 26th, 2018, 8:36 AM
Sounds like some mental issues. Do they get a lot of exercise? Do they fight? Animals often express their frustration in such a manner (I have seen some dogs totally rip their fur out, birds defeather themselves, etc.). Unfortunately, it is sometimes an expression of lack of attention by the master, or caused by fear. My guess is that you are probably a good and responsible master. Try getting them more exercise, and some toys to gnaw on, rather than themselves. No, I am not a vet, but I grew up around a lot of them.

CenTexDave
July 26th, 2018, 10:28 AM
It is understandable. If you lived with Ludwig you'd be a little nuts too. :)

Ricky
July 26th, 2018, 10:50 AM
It is understandable. If you lived with Ludwig you'd be a little nuts too. :)

:falldown:falldown:bluerofl:bluerofl
10/5

Night Owl
July 26th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Sounds like some mental issues. Do they get a lot of exercise? Do they fight? Animals often express their frustration in such a manner (I have seen some dogs totally rip their fur out, birds defeather themselves, etc.). Unfortunately, it is sometimes an expression of lack of attention by the master, or caused by fear. My guess is that you are probably a good and responsible master. Try getting them more exercise, and some toys to gnaw on, rather than themselves. No, I am not a vet, but I grew up around a lot of them.
Vets or pets?:))

mac
July 26th, 2018, 11:11 AM
My dog obsessively knaws on her hindquarters. She has no mange, no flea and no visible reason for such behavior. It's so bad that her fur is coming out. What can I do?

My other dog keeps licking his front paws so much that they become discolored.

it's just an allergy. get some hydrocortisone and rub it into the spots she gnaws on and it'll clear up.....same thing with the paw......it's otc and no Rx necessary.......please send your payment in bit-coin......mac

sojourner truth
July 26th, 2018, 11:34 AM
My dog does the same thing with her front right paw. She has done it for years. Hydrocortisone does work too.

Sort of like what the Red Kangaroo does in the Australian outback... They lick their forearms and paws because it is so hot they depend on the cooling evaporation to get through the hottest part of the day in the outback.

Ricky
July 26th, 2018, 12:22 PM
it's just an allergy. get some hydrocortisone and rub it into the spots she gnaws on and it'll clear up.....same thing with the paw......it's otc and no Rx necessary.......please send your payment in bit-coin......mac

A couple drops of Louisiana hot sauce on each paw ... the licking will stop immediately.

mac
July 26th, 2018, 12:28 PM
A couple drops of Louisiana hot sauce on each paw ... the licking will stop immediately.

aye, 'tis true......but the reason for the itch will still be there......might as well use a cone if that's all you want to do.....mac

Ricky
July 26th, 2018, 2:57 PM
aye, 'tis true......but the reason for the itch will still be there......might as well use a cone if that's all you want to do.....mac

That's what she said...:))

mac
July 26th, 2018, 4:09 PM
That's what she said...:))

eeeuuu!

fchafey
July 26th, 2018, 5:12 PM

10 mg Zyrtec daily for our 75 pound Boxer. She has allergies and gnaws on paws. Or used to.

Mestral
July 26th, 2018, 6:01 PM
10 mg Zyrtec daily for our 75 pound Boxer. She has allergies and gnaws on paws. Or used to.
I agree, it is allergy. An induced allergy. I mean, there is something causing it.
Hydrocortizone will mask the symtom, for a while.

You need to use Tea Tree Oil.
That will get rid of the underlying problem.