PDA

View Full Version : Your 2018 Cleveland Indians

Pages : [1] 2

Rick
February 27th, 2018, 3:57 PM
They signed Rajai Davis last week and it was just announced that Napoli is being signed to a minor league contract lending passing a physical.

CenTexDave
February 28th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Two wasted signings if you ask me. Napoli had more K's than hits last year with Texas. Once the Rangers figured out how washed up he is they stuck him on the bench.
Davis is just too old. Didn't do much with the A's last year. Don't know if he can do much this year either.
Cleveland didn't do diddly as far as I'm concerned this off season. They let pitchers Brian Shaw and Joe Smith leave (some say no big deal about Shaw), let Carlos Santana leave, didn't even
try to keep him and same with Jay Bruce.
Signed some 1B who had a good first half of a season last year then slumped the entire second half.
Have read that Brantley won't be ready for opening day. Sure am glad they wasted $10M on his option. He must have stubbed his toe on the dugout steps.
I look for more of the same - win the Central going away and early exit from the playoffs.

CenTexDave
March 3rd, 2018, 7:36 AM
Now I read Salazar has arm problems and won't be ready for Opening Day. All the talent in the world but the past two seasons has been on the DL way too often to be considered a reliable arm.
Also forgot - they didn't try to keep Austin Jackson, the sub OF who had the catch of the year in CF and also hit .318. Big mistake.

CenTexDave
March 5th, 2018, 6:33 AM
Napoli's batting average during the spring training games remained at .000 after yesterday's 0-3 debacle. :))

CenTexDave
March 15th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Only another week - 10 days and the teams will name their rosters and break for the start of the season.
The Tribe has some interesting and hard choices to make at some key positions:
Giovanni Urshela is batting .519 during spring training. Yandy Diaz is batting .417. Who do you keep as a back-up infielder? Kipnis is back - he's batting .452 so 2nd base is solved.
The OF is in tatters with Brantley - again - not ready to play. Greg Allen is batting .375. Guyer is also not ready to play. Chisenhall is hitting an anemic .188.
And Fat Ed is his usual self batting a roaring .161. I wasn't pleased they let Santana get away, but they did sign Alonso to play 1B and he's hitting .333 this spring.
Perez is having a good spring behind the plate at .375. Where does that leave the young Francisco Mejia who is hitting .450?
Kluber pitched a gem yesterday - 5 IP, 1 hit. Clevinger has looked real good. Bauer and Tomlin have not, and Salazar is injured (again).

CenTexDave
March 17th, 2018, 10:49 AM
They tried Urshela at 1B yesterday and did fine. He is now batting .457 for the spring. Will be hard to leave him off the roster. Yandy Diaz continues to impress. Good thing about him is
he can also play LF. Chisenhall has had a miserable spring, but I'm sure he'll be penciled in as the starter in RF. But if I was Francona I'd quickly lose my patience with him if he gets off to a real slow start. With Brantley and Guyer out
with injuries carried over from last year, I'd consider Diaz for LF, Zimmer for CF and Allen in RF.

CenTexDave
March 22nd, 2018, 8:00 AM
They sent Diaz down to Columbus. He was hitting a ton and some of the other regulars aren't. I have a feeling he'll be back. Urshela has been tried at 1B and did fine and continues to hit. BA over .500.
And, lo and behold, and surprise, surprise, surprise - Michael Brantley made his spring debut yesterday. Went 1 for 3 with a HR. If he's ready to go will be great.

Rick
March 22nd, 2018, 9:16 AM
They seem pretty optimistic about Brantley.

CenTexDave
March 22nd, 2018, 12:50 PM
Definitely need him as long as he's 100%. Hope they don't have him in LF if he's not fully healed.

Rick
March 22nd, 2018, 2:34 PM

CenTexDave
March 22nd, 2018, 4:24 PM
Francona likes some of his veterans too much - even when they don't play well. Davis brings nothing to the Tribe. He didn't hit good at Oakland last season and is two years older than when he led the league in stolen bases.

CenTexDave
March 25th, 2018, 11:26 AM
The Tribe kept Napoli - signed him to a deal and will most likely assign him to Columbus AAA. The deal includes a clause where he can opt out if he receives a better offer from a different team.
Between him and Fat Ed Encarnacion at DH, they might have 400K's between them.

CenTexDave
March 27th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Other than Kluber, and Clevinger at times, the starting pitching this spring has simply sucked. Tomlin has started to round into form as he has had a couple good consecutive outings, but Tomlin isn't great when he is on.
Bauer has looked extremely shaky. Yesterday Carrasco got shelled (again) - his spring ERA is over 7.00. And Salazar is on the DL. Andrew Miller even hasn't looked sharp.
But the hitting, with the exception of a few, has been very, very good. Alonso - Santana's replacement at 1B - has been smacking the hell out of the ball. Brantley has been extremely good, but looks like he'll start the
season on the DL. Both Gomes and Perez at catcher have hit great. Kipnis' comeback has been very good and he's hitting well. So who isn't? Fat Ed (normal - always starts slow), Ramirez and Lindor haven't been hitting as they
should, and Chisenhall has been miserable. Sub infielders Gonzalez (usually plays at SS) and Urshela (who can play 3B-very good defensively-, SS, 2B and 1B have hit well. Yandy Diaz was hitting extremely well and they send
him down to AAA. Sometimes I really wonder about Francona. His loyalty to these older veterans - like Guyer, Encarnacion, Napoli, Chisenhall, etc- may not pay off.
This team has way too much talent not to get out of the gate and have a 10 game lead by the all-star break. But if the starting pitching continues to suck and these older vets don't hit, I wouldn't be surprised to see
some wholesale changes. The only difference is I would make them now. Doesn't do much for morale to go into May 5 games back thinking that they'll put together another 13 and 22 game win streak.

CenTexDave
March 27th, 2018, 4:21 PM
Seems as soon as I posted something blasting a couple of the players they play great.
Today Bauer has pitched 5 great innings, 3 hits, 1 ER, 7 K's. Napoli has blasted one out. Indians lead Arizona 2-1 in the 6th.

Rick
March 28th, 2018, 10:33 AM
The only time to worry about Bauer is when he's playing with his drone. They say he struck out more in spring training than any other pitcher. Not that it means much. In fact, none of means anything until tomorrow.

I think Francona is wise to keep those "old" guys around. With the injuries during the course of the season, especially early on, it'll be good to have veterans close by. Just in case. Time will tell.

CenTexDave
March 28th, 2018, 11:34 AM
I just don't understand Francona's love affair with Guyer. He is a below average defensive outfielder, has no power, but gets on base sometimes when he gets hit and takes one for the team.
Hopefully Chisenhall stays healthy this year - he was batting well over .300 and lead the team in RBIs before getting injured last year just before the all-star break. Matter of fact, I thought he
should have made the all-star team instead of Brantley.
You're right - time will tell. But Diaz and Allen will be at AAA and can be called up overnight if needed.

Rick
March 29th, 2018, 6:57 PM
Good news for tonight. Wahoo hats.

CenTexDave
March 29th, 2018, 8:15 PM
10pm on ESPN

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2018, 7:38 AM
Tribe loses the opener, 2-1, to Seattle. Kluber was outpitched by Felix Hernandez. Gave up a 2 run HR and that was it, but over 8 innings he looked pretty good.

fchafey
March 30th, 2018, 7:44 AM
Watched most of it as i am off today so i could stay up late. Pretty good game, interesting they mentioned Seattle is about to get an NHL franchise.

CenTexDave
March 30th, 2018, 8:47 AM
I didn't watch any of it. I'm usually dead to the world by 10PM. :)
Guess it was poetic justice that Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers also lost his opener, 1-0, to the Giants.

Rick
March 31st, 2018, 4:19 PM
Watching the game now. Tribe leads 6-3 top of the 4th.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180331/1e54fbd7ff516d69a9d5a9d54cbe968b.jpg

Rick
March 31st, 2018, 5:59 PM
Tribe wins 6-5.

Tomorrow's game should be on too.

CenTexDave
March 31st, 2018, 5:59 PM
Tribe ekes it out, 6-5. Carrasco hasn't looked good all spring, but the bullpen did their job.

CenTexDave
April 1st, 2018, 4:33 PM
The rubber game. Through 4 Bauer looks sharp - 2 hits and 5 K's. Fat Ed has gone deep and the Tribe leads 2-0. Starting to worry about Rameriz - hasn't gotten a hit yet this year but was robbed of a HR yesterday by a great over the wall catch.

Rick
April 1st, 2018, 5:15 PM
Bauer allowed 2 in the 5th. Otero pitched the 6th and got them all.

Rick
April 1st, 2018, 5:53 PM
Tribe gave up 3 in the 7th. Encarnacion hit a two run blast in the 8th. Tribe down by one

CenTexDave
April 1st, 2018, 6:27 PM
Good to see Ed hitting early in the season. Now need a couple of the others to start hitting.

Rick
April 2nd, 2018, 10:18 PM
Tribe has three home runs so far tonight including an inside the park HR by, wait for it, Encarnacion.

They lead 5-0 in the 4th.

CenTexDave
April 3rd, 2018, 8:18 AM
6-0 final. Shutout by Clevinger, but only pitched 5 innings. Clevinger looked pretty this spring. Bauer was fine for 5 innings until the roof fell in the 6th. Need to get Carrasco straightened out quick.
Still amazed that Rameriz does not have one hit yet.

Rick
April 3rd, 2018, 8:34 AM
I know. I don't think they are too worried about Ramirez because once he gets going, he'll be a beast. There's no need to wear out the pitchers with the bullpen they have. Plus, as the announcers said last night, Tito needs to find a 7th inning replacement for Shaw and to do that, they need to throw the ball.

CenTexDave
April 3rd, 2018, 11:12 AM
Nick Goody has looked "good". lol Last year's phenom, Tyler Olson, who went 20+ innings with a 0.00 ERA got lit up his first appearance, but looked good last night. McAllister is doing real good also. Just hope they don't
try Miller Time too much and wear him out. If Carrasco gets straightened out and Tomlin can be his usual half decent, I would think Salazar would be a great set-up or closer when he comes back.

Night Owl
April 3rd, 2018, 5:33 PM
Pipe dreams coming out of Cleveland.:)

Rick
April 3rd, 2018, 6:16 PM
Speaking of pipe dreams, I see that Bartolo Colon pitched for your Texas Rangers last night...haha

Rick
April 3rd, 2018, 9:22 PM
Ramirez' first hit of the season was a two run homer in the 1st inning.

Rick
April 3rd, 2018, 9:49 PM
Tomlin's a mess in the 1st. Gave up six runs. Serious control issues early on.

Night Owl
April 3rd, 2018, 9:54 PM
Tomlin's a mess in the 1st. Gave up six runs. Serious control issues early on.
Might need to trade for Colon.:))

Rick
April 3rd, 2018, 10:08 PM
Nope. Your team raided the old folks home to get him. You gotta keep him.

It's too bad that you can't support your team with positive comments.

Night Owl
April 3rd, 2018, 11:52 PM
Nope. Your team raided the old folks home to get him. You gotta keep him.

It's too bad that you can't support your team with positive comments.
Probably won't see a single pitch this year or next, or the next............from any MLB team. I'm still on strike from there last strike.

CenTexDave
April 4th, 2018, 6:57 AM
One whole hit!! 12 K's. At least Rameriz broke out of his early slump. I wouldn't wait much longer on Tomlin to come around. He was half-assed during spring. Either he pitches decent or get rid of him. We have good, young
arms at Columbus.

CenTexDave
April 5th, 2018, 6:58 AM
This team is not hitting. Wasted another good effort by Kluber last night.

Rick
April 5th, 2018, 7:44 AM
Hopefully, coming home will light a fire tomorrow.

CenTexDave
April 5th, 2018, 7:56 AM
It seems each year they open on the road. Now they come home at 2-4. Probably get a good dose of that lovely Cleveland spring weather. Snow flurries, anyone? :)

CenTexDave
April 6th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Snow in the area but not forecast for the 4PM Tribe Home Opener. But the high today in Cleveland is forecast at 41 degrees, and with the wind blowing off the lake should be a balmy
35 or so wind chill. :)) Still, wish I was there. :)

Rick
April 6th, 2018, 3:59 PM
Brantley was activated today and he already has two RBI's in the 1st inning.

Night Owl
April 6th, 2018, 4:32 PM
Snow in the area but not forecast for the 4PM Tribe Home Opener. But the high today in Cleveland is forecast at 41 degrees, and with the wind blowing off the lake should be a balmy
35 or so wind chill. :)) Still, wish I was there. :)
Nothing stopping you from being there.:)

CenTexDave
April 6th, 2018, 5:56 PM
Tribe takes it, 3-2. All runs came in the first inning. Boring game.

Rick
April 7th, 2018, 8:49 AM
I'm sure the windy and cold weather had something to do with the boring game.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2018, 9:42 AM
Won't be much better today - snowing in southern Ohio. :))

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2018, 2:10 PM
A bit chilly there right now - 32 degrees with a wind chill of 27. Hardly baseball weather.

CenTexDave
April 8th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Tribe's bats have gone on strike. Bauer pitches 8 innings, 3 hits, 1 Earned Run, 7 K's and loses 1-0.

Rick
April 8th, 2018, 12:36 PM
That's ridiculous.

CenTexDave
April 8th, 2018, 2:28 PM
More of the same today. 32 degrees. 8th inning and Clevinger is pitching good, they are down 1-0. 3 whole hits. Pathetic.

CenTexDave
April 8th, 2018, 2:57 PM
Tied it up in the 8th. And wasn't any bunch of hits - a walk, stolen base, sacrifice and two throwing errors for KC's pitcher. lol
Now going to bottom of the 9th, still 1-1.

CenTexDave
April 8th, 2018, 3:10 PM
Tribe pulls it out in the bottom of the 9th - Yan Gomes two run HR!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
April 8th, 2018, 3:54 PM
This was huge for the tribe.

CenTexDave
April 9th, 2018, 6:28 PM
Tribe leads Detroit 2-0 after 5. Zimmer two run HR. Kluber 10K's.

Rick
April 9th, 2018, 6:48 PM
Is it on tv here?

CenTexDave
April 9th, 2018, 7:57 PM
No. Following on internet. Kluber goes 8, 13 K's, Miller gets the save. Tribe 2-0

CenTexDave
April 10th, 2018, 6:33 PM
1-0, Tribe in the 4th. JRam HR.

CenTexDave
April 10th, 2018, 8:01 PM
2-1, Tribe. Perez HR in 8th. Miller gets the win, Allen the save. 5 good innings from Tomlin.

Rick
April 11th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Crazy how the late game big hits lately have come from the two CATCHERS!

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2018, 6:32 PM
Warmer tonight and the bats have come out of their hibernation - 4-0 Tribe in the 4th.

fchafey
April 11th, 2018, 7:16 PM
Someone from the Tribe hit a Tigers pitcher in the face. ouch.....

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2018, 7:57 PM
Cookie Carrasco complete game 3 hitter, Tribe 5-1. Everyone but Fat Ed got a hit.

Rick
April 11th, 2018, 8:21 PM
Someone from the Tribe hit a Tigers pitcher in the face. ouch.....That was ugly.

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2018, 8:25 PM
Just saw a video clip of it. Evidently he's ok. Shades of Herb Score.

CenTexDave
April 12th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Bauer takes the hill tonight in the series finale. He has never beaten Detroit. Hopefully tonight he will mow them down. Much warmer there today, but forecast calls for 50% chance of showers.

CenTexDave
April 12th, 2018, 5:33 PM
After 1 is 2-0, Tribe. Lindor goes deep as he leads off. Fat Ed struck out as usual.

CenTexDave
April 12th, 2018, 5:52 PM
6-0 now. Lindor 2 run 2B and JRam 2 run homer

CenTexDave
April 12th, 2018, 6:41 PM
9-1 after 4. The bats have come alive in the warm weather. Well, all except Fat Ed and Alonso. Big waste of $25 M.

CenTexDave
April 13th, 2018, 8:28 AM
Final: 9-3. Bauer went 7 innings, 7 K's, 2 earned runs. Good outing against he had never before beaten. And the Tribe pounded out hits galore.

CenTexDave
April 14th, 2018, 6:18 AM
Tribe got bounced last night. Clevinger was pitching well then walked two batters and HR. At least our bats have woke up now.

CenTexDave
April 17th, 2018, 7:52 PM
Tribe leading the Twins in Puerto Rico, 2-0. Frankie Lindor goes deep and the home crowd goes crazy. Kluber pitching good too.

CenTexDave
April 17th, 2018, 8:00 PM
Top of the 6th, 4-0 Tribe. JRam and Dr Smooth go deep back to back.

CenTexDave
April 17th, 2018, 8:55 PM
8th inning and Tribe up 6-1. Alonso goes deep. Hot and humid there. Kluber went 6.2 innings, 102 pitches, and was gassed.

Rick
April 18th, 2018, 7:05 AM
Lindor's home run really lit the place up. You'd think he just hit the World Series winning HR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8wXlkZwa8

CenTexDave
April 18th, 2018, 8:15 AM
I watched it on FS1. The crowd went nuts. Lindor is the PR's hero there. And they like the Indians. Place went wild when JRam and Michael Brantley went back-to-back an inning later.
The offensive slump they were in was obviously because of the cold weather. Zimmer had two doubles last night. It seems they all, with the exception of the $16M mistake - Fat Ed - is
hitting now.

CenTexDave
April 19th, 2018, 9:45 AM
Last night had to be the ultimate lesson by Tito as to how to blow a game. Went 16 innings before the Tribe finally lost. Every position player had been used
and in the bottom of the 16th had to bring in Tomlin to relieve. Naturally Tomlin got shelled and the Tribe fell 2-1.
Thought we had it won when Fat Ed went deep in the, I believe, 13th inning. So in the bottom of the 13th our reliever gives up a HR. Too bad Tito decided
to use closer Cody Allen earlier. He also pinch hit using Guyer for Zimmer. Zimmer has been on a tear lately. Of course Guyer, with a runner on second, weakly
grounds out.

CenTexDave
April 21st, 2018, 5:36 PM
After the Tribe's bats went silent (again) on Friday night and gave Bauer no run support, they came to life this afternoon. Three homers (JRAM, Alonso and Gomes). JRAM went 3 for 4. Mike
Clevinger pitched a complete game gem of a shutout, 4-0, 2 hits. If not for one bad inning this year he'd be 4-0. His ERA is a mini 1.75.
Oh, and Fat Ed went 0-4. lol

CenTexDave
April 22nd, 2018, 3:10 PM
JRAM goes deep X 2 and the Tribe wins it 7-3. Kluber wins his third but wasn't all that sharp. Miller (0.00 ERA) and Cody Allen (0.00 ERA) finish it off.
Gotta get Kipnis and Fat Ed to start hitting though.

CenTexDave
April 23rd, 2018, 8:38 PM
Tribe sweeps the Orioles, 2-1. Carrasco gets the win. Tribe bats silent again, but Alonso's 2 run HR was the difference.

CenTexDave
April 24th, 2018, 2:03 PM
Interesting series starting tonight with the Chicago Cubs coming to town.

CenTexDave
April 24th, 2018, 6:33 PM
5-1, Cubs, after 5. Tomlin got shelled right from the start - gave up 4 HRs.
Ramirez has officially broken out of his slump as he has 2 hits in 2 at bats. Now if only Lindor would come to life.
Kipnis is worthless - get rid of him. Oh, and Fat Ed K'd in his first at bat. :)

CenTexDave
April 24th, 2018, 8:27 PM
Final: 10-3. Tomlin was lit up and so was McAllister in relief. Ramirez went 3-3. Fat Ed finally drove in a run, but had 2 K's.

CenTexDave
April 25th, 2018, 8:19 PM
Going to the bottom of the 7th - 3-1, Tribe. All 3 Tribe runs on homers - Guyer, Lindor and Fat Ed. Bauer went 6.2 and pitched well. Miller came in to relieve and on his 2nd pitch
he pulled a hamstring/muscle.

CenTexDave
April 25th, 2018, 9:19 PM
Tribe takes it 4-1.

CenTexDave
April 26th, 2018, 8:24 PM
Miller put on the 10 day DL and obviously missed him tonight as the Mariners won, 5-4. This bullpen already appears to be worn out and it's only April.

CenTexDave
April 28th, 2018, 9:21 AM
After getting stomped on Thursday night, the Tribe rebounds with a 6-5 home run fest over the Mariners Friday night. Brantley went 3-3 with a HR and Lindor, Fat Ed, and the duo of Yon and Yan joined them.
Kluber pitched good. Was robbed of a called third strike in the top of the 9th which should have ended the game. It really shock him up so Tito brings in Allen to close it and he got shelled before finally putting
out the fire.
Obviously they miss Andrew Miller. One of these relief pitchers has to step up as a set-up man. Kluber was left in there to finish it although he already had 112 pitches.

CenTexDave
April 29th, 2018, 7:42 PM
Tribe needs some serious help and needs it fast. Their pitching has gone way south.

Night Owl
April 29th, 2018, 9:24 PM
Tribe needs some serious help and needs it fast. Their pitching has gone way south.
Is the sky falling or is another sports team from Cleveland smelling up the field again?

CenTexDave
April 29th, 2018, 9:42 PM
Still in first place.
And the Cavs won today.
All is good.
Texas Rangers come to town tomorrow. We'll see.

Night Owl
April 30th, 2018, 12:05 AM
Still in first place.
And the Cavs won today.
All is good.
Texas Rangers come to town tomorrow. We'll see.
The Indians should sweep them.

CenTexDave
April 30th, 2018, 9:14 PM
Tribe takes the first one, 7-5. For 6 innings looked like a pitchers' duel, then all hell broke loose. Bauer pitched 6, 3 hits, 1 ER, 11 Ks.

Rick
May 1st, 2018, 7:18 PM
Looks like the Rangers will win one tonight. 6-0 in the 7th.

Rick
May 1st, 2018, 8:18 PM
The fat lady hadn't sung yet. Brantley grand slam tied it at 6 in the bottom of the 9th.

Rick
May 1st, 2018, 9:04 PM
Goody has given up two home runs in the 12th.

Night Owl
May 1st, 2018, 9:08 PM
Goody has given up two home runs in the 12th.
Might need to change his name.:))

CenTexDave
May 1st, 2018, 9:14 PM
Might need to replace that entire bullpen.

Rick
May 2nd, 2018, 12:48 PM
Tribe's is off to a good start this afternoon. Four runs in the first with Encarnacion hitting a three run shot and Kipnis hit a three run homer in the second. 7-1, bottom of the second with one out.

Rick
May 2nd, 2018, 12:53 PM
Encarnacion just hit his second home run of the game. A two run shot with Lindor on second. 9-1 in the second.

CenTexDave
May 2nd, 2018, 2:55 PM
Final: 12-4. Fat Ed goes deep 3 times, Lindor and Kipnis also go yard. Kluber wins his fifth game.

CenTexDave
May 3rd, 2018, 7:31 AM
Make-up double header today scheduled with Toronto. Two games last month were rained out.
Of course today's Cleveland weather forecast calls for rain. :)) Carrasco scheduled to start the first game. Hopefully he got over the shellacking he had last time out. The 2nd game
starter is some guy they brought up from AAA to pitch today's second game. Be nice if this guy tosses a 3 hit shutout and they keep him. :)

CenTexDave
May 4th, 2018, 9:27 AM
The Tribe split the double header. Two hour rain delay to get the first game started. Bats have really come to life. If not for a couple base running screw ups in the first game it would have been a sweep.
In the first the bullpen continued to show how terrible they have become ever since Andrew Miller went on the DL. Of more concern might be Carrasco getting shelled for two consecutive games. During the
intermission the Tribe put Nick Goody on the DL and called up a pitcher from Columbus. McAllister is proving he's a liability too. In the second game Adam Plutko, who was called up just to pitch this game,
was very impressive. He went 7.l innings. The reliever they called up between games, a guy named Marshal, came in and put out the fire in the 8th.
If Tomlin has another crappy outing this evening in New York might see Plutko on the varsity roster.

fchafey
May 21st, 2018, 8:56 AM
Got to watch the Indians - Astros series this weekend. Took a weekend off from golf. I know it isn't halfway through the season yet, but I would hope Indian's management is trying to address the pitching problem in the bullpen. This year like last the central is looking pretty weak, but that weakness rotates around divisions so I am not bashing the Indians for being in first place at 22-23. just thought the pitching and run support was pretty iffy.

Rick
May 21st, 2018, 9:40 AM
Ya, they are hurting in the bullpen. The bats are coming on. Houston had a perfect game going into the 6th. Houston's defense was lights out last night. They robbed the Tribe of a couple of extra base hits for sure.

It looks like Cabrera might be a good pick up.

CenTexDave
May 21st, 2018, 1:58 PM
My observations, for what they are worth:
1. Bullpen is shaky at best. They seemed fine until Miller went on the DL about 3 weeks ago. He came back too early. Supposedly he's ok now. We'll see this week as he'll most likely be needed when they take on the Cubs on Tues and Weds. The rest of them plain suck. They keep on picking up washed up pitchers hoping to find one that can do the job. It ain't working.
2. Other than Lindor, Brantley, and JRam there is no consistent hitting. You could add Gonzalez, as he's hitting a ton, but sits on the bench (nice move, Tito) as Francona would rather play his toys like Krapnis and Guyer. Gomes is hitting better. Alonso and Fat Ed have proven to be big mistakes. Altogether, Krapnis, Alonso and Fat Ed account for $40M salary and they sure aren't getting their moneys worth. Naquin was hitting good (around .320) when he got injured, but even so, when is he due back?
3. Never seen so many injuries - pulled hamstrings, etc. Zimmer runs into the wall in Yankee Stadium two weeks ago and still isn't back. Chisenhall has been out for 7 weeks with another of many injuries this guy always gets. He's due to start rehab assignment today at Columbus. Pitcher injuries involving arm problems I can understand. Just seems the position players need to be in better shape. No excuse for pulling a muscle or, in Fat Ed's case, missed two days with a sore neck.
4. Addressing the bullpen problem - have already read an article where management (not Tito) stated that don't expect help as this payroll is the highest in the history of the club. In other words, Dolan (the owner) is too freaking cheap to bother trying to get some help. That was obvious this past winter when he let two decent relief pitchers (Bryan Shaw and Joe Smith) walk, outfielders Jay Bruce and Austin Jackson walk and Carlos Santana leave. They signed garbage to replace the relief pitchers and Alonso to replace Santana. Now in all fairness to Alonso, Santana isn't doing squat with the Phillies and Shaw and Smith are getting shelled also. Jackson is with the Giants and not producing. Haven't checked on Bruce. They bet the farm on Brantlley being able to come back and he has. They figured the OF was also set with Brantley, Zimmer and Chisenhall with Naquin and Guyer as back-ups. Didn't plan for injuries.
5. They traded Urshela after DFA'ing him. He was batting .326 at AAA Columbus after hitting around .500 for the spring. Now he's doing well for Toronto. Brilliant.
6. Kluber, as usual, is pitching great. Carrasco not so much, although giving up two runs last night to the defending world champs is no disgrace. Bauer and Clevinger have pitched well. Tomlin is worthless. Be interesting to see if Salazar can get back. Ryan Merritt is again hurt and on the DL. There are three good, young pitchers at Columbus. I'd bring them up and take my chances with them. Certainly can't do worse than Tomlin, McAllister, Otero and the rest of the clowns.
A team usually has a 3-5 year window of opportunity to succeed with the bulk of the good players they have. The clock has been ticking on the Tribe for 4 years now. They will most likely win the Central this year and another fast exit from the playoffs. Brantley is a free agent after this year, and after one more of the same, they"ll lose Lindor. The kid will command a $200+M contract and only BoSox, Dodgers or Yankees can afford that kind of money.

Rick
May 21st, 2018, 2:13 PM
Hey Dave, I have a few more of these from my trip last year. I'll give you one of you want.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180521/84f7c0d9d6a8c9a7bc801f6b9fedff32.jpg

CenTexDave
May 21st, 2018, 4:22 PM
Wow, I haven't tasted that stuff since the last time I went to an Indians' game at old Municipal Stadium.
Rick, thanks, but I'll pass. You enjoy the mustard.

Rick
May 21st, 2018, 5:53 PM
I am enjoying it. I have a bottle in my refrigerator at home and work and three more in the cupboard. They have a sell by date of September so I don't want it to go bad. I have plenty and since I send my aunt pecans, she can't send me some more politically incorrect mustard.

I would love to share some with someone who appreciates what it is.

Rick
May 22nd, 2018, 8:00 PM
Tribe leading 7-0 in the 5th. Bauer pitching. Hope they don't have to go to the bullpen.

Rick
May 22nd, 2018, 8:07 PM
10-0 in the 5th. Bauer even scored a run.

CenTexDave
May 23rd, 2018, 9:53 PM
Tribe completes the sweep, 1-0. That kid Adam Plutko pitched a good 7 innings. Miller is back to being Miller and Allen is back to being Allen.

mac
May 23rd, 2018, 11:44 PM
10-0 in the 5th. Bauer even scored a run.

they beat the celtics tonight too!.......6 and 6 now....mac

CenTexDave
May 24th, 2018, 6:27 AM
????

gnatsum
May 24th, 2018, 7:49 AM

I'm with the Dave on this.:?
Aren't the Celtics a BASKETBALL TEAM? :)

fchafey
May 24th, 2018, 8:23 AM

Whatever you are on, I would like 2......FYI Boston leads Cleveland, at the moment 3 games to 2. The Celtics won tonight.

CenTexDave
May 27th, 2018, 7:44 PM
Finally a comeback win for the ages.
Bauer pitched very good - 13 Ks in 7 innings, but 115 pitches. Not having any faith in his bullpen, Tito sends him out for the 8th and he gives up a hit and walk. In comes the bullpen and
immediately Houston jumps all over the pitcher and takes an 8-3 lead. Then the pen settles down, and the Tribe gets a bit of revenge as they score 5 in the bottom of the 9th to tie it.
On we go - in the 13th Houston hits a HR. Bottom of the 13th Alonso ties it with a HR.
Bottom of the 14th we go, tied 9-9. Greg Allen leads off - first pitch he deposits over the right field wall for the win!! :)
The Tribe really needed this game. Hopefully the bullpen gained some confidence. At least McAllister and Otero - both threw two shutout innings.

CenTexDave
May 28th, 2018, 6:37 PM
Tribe took it today over the White Sox. That kid Plutko got hammered early, but the Tribe exploded for 5 runs in the 6th and that was it.
Now a 3 game winning streak.

Rick
May 29th, 2018, 6:53 AM
I watched it. Pretty pathetic defense for Chicago.

CenTexDave
May 29th, 2018, 8:35 PM
Streak is at 4. Of course we can't get too excited because 2 of those have been against the White Sox, but Clevinger pitched very good tonight; Brantley, Ramirez and Kipnis went deep. Ramirez now has 16 HRs and 39 RBIs - tied for like 3rd in the league.

CenTexDave
May 29th, 2018, 9:57 PM
Brantley - 18 game hitting streak!!

Rick
May 30th, 2018, 7:52 AM

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Don't know if they still are, but earlier this season, at least up to a week or so ago, also were leading in HRs. Now if Fat Ed gets hot watch out.
Hell, even Krapnis is now starting to hit.
But that bullpen - Francona states we'll get it figured out, so they send Plutko back down to Columbus and call up Believeau to bolster the bullpen. Put him in
for the start of the 8th yesterday and immediately (first batter) deposits one into the lake. They need to bring Plutko back up as well as Shane Biever who just tossed
a no-hitter at Columbus.
Chisenhall is having a great rehab and hitting exceedingly well. Get him back up and send this Melky Cabrera, who is a double-play machine, packing - forever.

fchafey
May 30th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Currently Yankees 87, Boston 80, Cleveland 79, LA Angels 73, Washington, 71.

CenTexDave
May 30th, 2018, 4:30 PM
The streak is at 5 as the Tribe crushes the White Sox 9-1. Kluber wins his 8th, 6 IP, 3 hits, 10 K's then took the rest of the game off. Thanks to the Tribe's crap bullpen they gave up a run in the 9th and ruined the shutout.
Ramirez and Fat Ed went deep, Brantley's hitting streak is at 19. For Ramirez it was HR #17, tied for 2nd in all of baseball and third in RBIs (40).
A scare for Tribe fans yesterday - was reported that Ramirez tested positive for PEDs. Turned out to be a fake news story. MLB said there is no truth to it.

CenTexDave
May 31st, 2018, 10:52 PM
Whew. The streak's at 6. Shane Bieber, called up from AAA Columbus, makes his major league debut on his 23rd birthday and pitched great for 5 innings. Ran into trouble in the 6th, then in comes the bullpen and
an 8-0 lead was soon 8-8. But Lindor went yard in the 8th and Allen closed it. Lindor went 4-5 with 2 HR and 2 doubles - only the 4th player to ever do this. JRam also went deep and is now tied for MLB lead with 18.

CenTexDave
June 1st, 2018, 4:29 PM
From above: "Lindor went 4-5 with 2 HR and 2 doubles - only the 4th player to ever do this." Sorry, not exactly correct. Only the 4th player to ever do this twice in one season.

CenTexDave
June 2nd, 2018, 12:27 PM
The six game winning streak is over. Tribe loses Friday night to the Twins, 7-4. Carlos Carrasco got shelled early and often and the Tribe just couldn't catch up.
I believe something is wrong with Carrasco but he won't admit it. This is not the guy who tied for the AL lead in wins last year with 18. His fastball is continually
2-3 mph slower, he's walking batters a lot more - something he didn't do the past couple of years. Kipnis, again, amazes all with his ability to do nothing. Fat Ed hit
a monsterous 430 foot homer. The Tribe now has 5 players with 30 or more RBIs.
Mad Dog Bauer takes the hill today in hopes of getting another streak going. Bradley Zimmer has rejoined the team following a rehab assignment at AAA. Chisenhall,
Guyer and Naquin are due to soon follow, which means a couple of these dud outfielders we now have are going. Just hope they keep Greg Allen, who was the subject of
an article I read on ESPN's website the other day. They think he may be the next coming of Kenny Lofton.
Personally, I'd keep Allen on the roster and send Davis and Cabrera packing and would not bring up Guyer who was hitting around .155 when he went on the DL. But,
knowing he's one of Francona's favs, he'll probably be added at Allen's expense.

Rick
June 2nd, 2018, 6:04 PM
They are getting shelled today, 7-1 in the 8th. Thanks a lot to an error on an easy double play ball hit to Kipnis.

CenTexDave
June 2nd, 2018, 6:22 PM
Alonso made a bone headed error also - simple throw back to the pitcher.
Bauer deserved better - had 11 Ks. But he should be used to it by now.

CenTexDave
June 5th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Tribe limps home following that mess in Minnesota. Clevinger pitched good but, as usual, hit 100 pitches after 6 innings so, in his infinite wisdom and afraid to use his bullpen, Tito sends him out for the 7th. Walks the first
batter then pulls him and then starts the massacre.
Kluber pitching tonight against Milwaukee, NL Central Div leaders. Sure hope he pitches a gem. They need to stop the bleeding.

CenTexDave
June 5th, 2018, 9:22 PM
Kluber wins his 9th. 7IP, 1ER, 7Ks. JRam hit his 19th HR.

CenTexDave
June 6th, 2018, 5:46 PM
Tribe takes the final game of the series with the Brewers, 3-1. Cookie Carrasco, although far from pitching a gem, went 7 innings, 1 ER, 10 Ks. Rajai Davis had 3 stolen bases. The bullpen may be
coming around. Tito has been using Neil Ramirez as the hold guy and Oliver Perez (another cast-off and Tribe pickup) as the set-up. They've done well in those roles the last two games. Allen gets the save
as he struck out 3 of the 4 batters he faced to end the game. Fat Ed's 11 game hitting streak came to an end though.

CenTexDave
June 8th, 2018, 8:58 PM
Tribe's heating it up, take the first at Detroit 4-1. Trevor Bauer - 8 IP, 12Ks, 1ER. Kipnis 3 run homer in the ninth wins it.

CenTexDave
June 10th, 2018, 3:12 PM
Tribe takes the final of the series against the Tiger, 9-2. Kluber wins his 10th, 8 IP, 5 hits, 8 Ks. Tomlin pitched the 9th and had 2 Ks. New closer? :)

CenTexDave
June 11th, 2018, 10:20 PM
Carrasco tosses a gem as the Tribe shuts out the ChiSox, 4-0. 7 IP, 2 hits, 11 K's. Brantley went deep. Chisenhall, since returning from the Dl, is lighting it up hitting .330.

CenTexDave
June 14th, 2018, 4:17 PM
After giving Bauer (10 K's) no run support last night and dropping a 3-2 decision, Big Mike Clevinger looked like he might meet the same fate this afternoon. Down 2-1 early on, Clevinger got tough and the Tribe finally got
some runs. Clevinger - 12 K's (career high). Lindor and JRam went deep and the Tribe takes it 5-2.
The once terrible bullpen has been really good the past 10 days or so. Need them to keep it up. Miller should be back this weekend.

CenTexDave
June 15th, 2018, 9:30 PM
It happens to the best once in a while - Kluber got klobbered. He wasn't himself at all. Went 5 innings and left after giving up two HRs down by the score of 4-0. Two Lindor errors didn't help. The Tribe
rallied too little, too late and we lost 6-3. Might have been Lindor's worst ever game as an Indian - two errors and went 0-5, making the final out of the game with a runner on 2B.

CenTexDave
June 16th, 2018, 8:09 PM
No comment on today's massacre. Carrasco got shelled early and often. This team is frustrating.

CenTexDave
June 17th, 2018, 4:16 PM
Today was more like it. Carrasco got hit yesterday by a line drive in the 2nd inning. He was put on the 10 day DL today. Adam Plutko was supposed to start today's game, but they had to use him yesterday with Carrasco's early
exit. So they called up Shane Bieber from AAA Columbus. He did great - 1 run in 6 innings. Tribe's big hit was a Yan Gomes bases clearing double. Tribe really needed this one.

CenTexDave
June 18th, 2018, 9:53 PM
Tribe takes the first of the series with the White Sox. Trevor Bauer threw a gem - 7 IP, 8 K's, 3 hits. Rain delay caused him to be taken out after 7 innings. The idiot bullpen gave up runs in the 8th and 9th, but didn't matter.
Tribe wins 6-2. Even two of our worst hitters got into this - Kipnis HR and 3-4 and Perez 2 doubles and 2 RBIs. Too bad about the rain delay - Bauer had a chance to tie the record for consecutive games with at least 10 K's.
He finished with 8. The record holder? None other than Cory Kluber who has done it twice.

fchafey
June 19th, 2018, 8:58 AM
I would have thought with al the past great Cleveland pitchers, this 10k's consecutively would have been done more often or longer consecutive starts. Martinez did it 8 in a row ands Sales did it 10 in a row. With the arms Cleveland has ad go through them it is surprising.

CenTexDave
June 19th, 2018, 10:03 AM
I think Feller did it also, but can't confirm that. Surprising Sam McDowell didn't accomplish that and maybe also Gaylord Perry.
I read this morning where Bauer kept pleading with Francona to go back out for the 8th inning once the rain stopped. Of course Bauer
thinks he can throw 150 pitches a game. And he just might, for he doesn't seem to get tired. If you're going to hit him better do it
in the first three innings because he just gets better as the game goes along. But the Tribe will need a live arm come Sept and Oct,
so better to play it safe.

CenTexDave
June 19th, 2018, 9:14 PM
Tribe-6, ChiSox-3. Clevinger pitched a gem - 7.2IP, 5 hits, 10 Ks. Walked a guy in the top of 8th then gave up a hit so Francona replaced him with Ramirez. Took Ramirez two pitches to end the inning.
Then in the 9th McAllister melted down as he does so much lately. Time for the bum to be DFA'd. After giving up 2 runs they brought in Allen to close it out.

CenTexDave
June 20th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Kluber, coming off his worst game of the season, takes the hill this afternoon. I have never heard of Kluber having two bad games in a row. I smell sweep.

CenTexDave
June 20th, 2018, 3:26 PM
The Tribe blasts the White Sox this afternoon, 12-0, and completes the sweep. JRam and Kipnis both hit 3 run HRs. Fat Ed doubled in two more. Seems everyone got into the act.
Kluber pitched a magnificent game - 7 innings, only 1 hit, 7 Ks. He probably could have completed the game as he was under 100 pitches, but we're going to need him come Sep and Oct.
The bullpen actually completed the shutout.

CenTexDave
June 22nd, 2018, 10:42 PM
The Tribe continues their offense assault Friday evening. Following a 1 hour, 40 minute rain delay to start the game, they came out swinging. Lindor, Fat Ed and Alonso all went deep. Alonso's was a grand slam.
Shane Bieber, the 23 year old phenom recently called up from Columbus, went 7 innings, 4 hits, 9 kits. The kid is the real deal. The bullpen has gotten it together the past couple of weeks also. Once Miller returns
he should hopefully make this bullpen as good as it was last year.
Final: Tribe - 10, Detroit - 0.
That's two consecutive blow out shutouts.

CenTexDave
June 23rd, 2018, 8:11 PM
The Tribe makes it 6 in a row witha 4-1 decision this afternoon. Trevor Bauer went 6.1 innings, 4 hits, 12 K's. If the guy could get his pitch count down he would be pitching masterful complete games. Had 110 pitches
when Tito pulled him in the 6th.
Lindor went deep. His 18th HR.
We go for the sweep tomorrow.

CenTexDave
June 23rd, 2018, 9:40 PM
Sorry, 5 hits and 11 K's.

Night Owl
June 23rd, 2018, 10:52 PM
Who has the current winning streak in the majors? Yeppers, the Texas Rangers with 7. Followed by the Cin Reds and the Indians with 6.

After looking at the standings I gleamed these little jewels.

Cleveland leads their division and are the only team with a winning record in their division.

Texas is in last place in their division and are the only team with a losing record in their division.

Texas would be in fourth place if they were in Clevelands division.

CenTexDave
June 23rd, 2018, 11:11 PM
What an astute observation, Owl. :))

CenTexDave
June 24th, 2018, 3:15 PM
The massacres continue as the Tribe sweeps Detroit, 12-2, for their 7th in a row. Adam Plutko went 7 innings, 2 ER, but didn't walk a batter. This guy and Shane Bieber have been great in the absence of Carlos Carrasco.
The Tribe blasted 4 HRs - JRam (his 23rd ties him for the league lead), Lindor (19th - 3 in this series alone), Kipnis (starting to finally hit) and Fat Ed (18 - a grand slam). They walked JRam to load
the bases to pitch to Fat Ed and he made them pay with a grand slam). Fat Ed had 5 RBIs and now has 53. JRam's 52nd and both are now in the top 5 in RBIs. Just for good measure the Tribe
stole 3 bases. While the past week has been impressive we have to remember who they were playing. Now off to St Louis and Oakland. Hope they keep it up.

CenTexDave
June 25th, 2018, 11:27 PM
The streak is over and they looked pathetic doing it. 4-0, St. Louis. Clevinger didn't have it tonight, 6 IP, 2 ER, only 4K's but nobody hit at all. Think they finished with 4 hits, but only one
prior to the 8th inning.

CenTexDave
June 26th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Kluber goes tonight. Last time he faced the Cards may have been his best game ever - 8 IP, 1 hit, 18 K's. Hope he can repeat that tonight.

CenTexDave
June 26th, 2018, 9:47 PM
Early in the game and Kluber has gotten shelled. Something is physically wrong with him. I've seen it his last 3 starts.

CenTexDave
June 27th, 2018, 10:43 PM
The Tribe bounced back and took care of business, 5-1, over the cards. Rookie Shane Bieber tossed a good game, 6 IP, 6 H, 5 K, 1 W, 1 ER. His ERA is now 2.23, and he's 3-0. Just turned 23 years old last month.
The real deal. Fat Ed went deep as well as Chisenhall. Kipnis had 2 hits so looks like he's finally getting it together.
Day off tomorrow then onto Oakland.

Rick
June 28th, 2018, 5:08 AM
Bieber even had a double.

CenTexDave
June 28th, 2018, 9:17 AM
Yeah, he's batting .333 for his career. Maybe we should put him at DH when he isn't pitching. :)

CenTexDave
June 30th, 2018, 8:47 AM
It is becoming apparent this team cannot hit on the road. A 3-1 loss to the A's last night. They started out good, had the bases loaded then Perez struck out ending the threat. That guy is a wasted
roster spot. They should bring up Mejia from AAA and either send Perez down where he can play more frequently or just DFA him.
Bauer pitched well - 7 innings, 2 ER, 8 K's, but got absolutely no run support. Tribe didn't score until the 8th inning. Then it was 2-1 and the A's added a run in the bottom of the 8th off the bullpen.
Gonna be a long road trip.

CenTexDave
June 30th, 2018, 7:37 PM
It is becoming more frustrating. They lose another one today, 7-2. We had a 2 run lead, courtesy of Lindor and JRam homers in the same inning, and Plutko pitched well until the 6th when
he gave up consecutive doubles and a HR. Still, we were only behind 3-2. In comes nOtero who pitches one good inning. That's all he's good for - 1 inning. Tito sends him out for the 7th and he gives up
a couple. Enter Tomlin and the wheels come off.
Still can't hit (3 hits) and score on the road.

CenTexDave
July 1st, 2018, 6:34 PM
The Tribe took out their frustration on the A's today after dropping the first two in this series.
Clevinger - 6IP, 3 ER, 5 Ks.
But the bats!!!! Lindor 3-4, HR, 2 2B, 2 RBI; Brantley 2-5, 2 RBI; JRam 3-6, 2 RBI; Fat Ed 2-4, HR, 2 RBI; Alonso 4-6, 2 2B, 3 RBI; Chisenhall 3-5, 2 2B, 2 RBI.
They pound out 20 hits in a 15-3 massacre.

CenTexDave
July 2nd, 2018, 10:19 PM
The Tribe crushed the Royals tonight, 9-3. Kluber won his 11th, but was hardly his usual dominant self.
Lindor is on a tear - 2-4 with 2 HRs and 7, that is SEVEN, RBIs. Yep, a grand slam and a 3 run job. That's 6 HR in his last 10 games.
Chisenhall is hurt again. I guess that right calf of his is held together with duct tape or glue. But Rajai Davis, who has
gotten a chance to play a lot lately, went 3 - 3. He hit .347 in June.
Carrasco threw 60 pitches at AA Akron and was good to go - consistenly hitting 97 mph on his fastball. He's scheduled to start
Friday. Salazar underwent arthroscopic surgery this morning to determine why his pitching shoulder isn't coming around. Not good news-
he's done for the year, if not forever.
The Tribe now has 3 players with 50+ RBIs (Lindor, Ramirez, Fat Ed) and 2 more with 40+ (Brantley and Alonso).

fchafey
July 3rd, 2018, 8:43 AM
It's good for baseball in general that Cleveland is doing well. Of course we will see come September. But I like to that as baseball isn't just about the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Dodgers.....

CenTexDave
July 3rd, 2018, 12:06 PM
Glad to see not only the Tribe doing well but also Milwaukee and the Cubs, Atlanta and Arizona.
Anything can happen in the playoffs, especially the ALDS which is a shorter series. All it takes it for your ace pitcher to have one bad outing an see ya next year.
I still say that if the Tribe's starting pitching staff wasn't all injured in 2016 they would have won the WS. Only Kluber was healthy. Carrasco was out, Salazar was
on the roster but limited to spot relief work, Bauer got his hand chopped up by a drone he was playing with. Tomlin threw a good game, but he's not reliable anymore.

CenTexDave
July 3rd, 2018, 10:19 PM
Tribe dumps KC, 6-4. Shane Bieber was far from a good game, but got the job done. The big hit was a Yan Gomes' Grand Slam. That's 8 now for
the Tribe this year and leads the majors.

CenTexDave
July 4th, 2018, 10:10 PM
Get out the broom, but this one was close, 3-2. Bauer gets the win - 7.1 IP, 2 ER, 7 K, but the Tribe got more walks than hits.
KC even had a runner steal home. But now 11 games over .500, and a 11.5 game lead.

CenTexDave
July 6th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Tribe makes 5 in a row blowing away Oakland tonight, 10-4. Carlos Carrasco finally returned from the DL and other than a shaky first couple of innings got better as the game went on and got the win.
The bats were exploding - this against the same pitcher who shut them down in Oakland. The big four of Lindor, Ramirez, Brantley and Encarnacion put on a hitting display. Lindor even stole home. :))
Kluber goes tomorrow. Now a 12 game lead.
But appears Chisenhall is now out for a while - again. That guy can't stay healthy.

mac
July 6th, 2018, 11:56 PM
It's good for baseball in general that Cleveland is doing well. Of course we will see come September. But I like to that as baseball isn't just about the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Dodgers.....

why of course not! everyone knows it's about the Rangers and Astros......

CenTexDave
July 7th, 2018, 8:31 AM
Nothing against either of those two teams except when they play the Tribe. :)

CenTexDave
July 7th, 2018, 7:36 PM
Tribe loses in extra innings, 6-3. Kluber was pitching a shutout through 7 innings and we had a 3-0 lead. Ramirez comes in for the 8th and gives up back-to-back HRs. Game tied.
Into the 11th and in comes Tomlin and he gives up a 2 run homer and another run.
The bullpen, which looked like it was coming around, melted big time. But in all fairness to Ramirez, those are the first runs he's given up in over a month, and he did also pitch an
inning last night. Even relievers need a day off sometimes. Tomlin is another story. Tito's obvious loyalty to him has run its course.

CenTexDave
July 8th, 2018, 5:03 PM
No more comments. This team is losing my support. :))

Night Owl
July 8th, 2018, 5:13 PM
No more comments. This team is losing my support. :))
Must be getting their butts kicked........again.:))

Rick
July 8th, 2018, 6:57 PM
They got spanked 6 - 0.

Rick
July 10th, 2018, 8:49 PM
They blew a four run lead tonight. It is 7-4 top of the 9th in Cleveland.

CenTexDave
July 10th, 2018, 9:05 PM
Not just blew a 4 run lead, but blew a gem by Bauer who pitched 8 innings, 3 hits, 12 K's.
Last I saw Bauer had a bat and was chasing Allen and nOtero around the clubhouse with it.

Rick
July 11th, 2018, 2:26 PM
Losing their pitching coach really hurt them this year.

CenTexDave
July 11th, 2018, 3:43 PM
It sure did. You can see that in little things, like holding runners on first base.
As far as last night, Tito said he told Willis (pitching coach) to get "OP", meaning Oliver Perez, a leftie with an ERA of under 1.00, to face the Reds' left hitting Votto.
Willis said he thought he said "OT", meaning Otero, a rightie. First pitch and clears the bases with a 3 run double. Idiot.

fchafey
July 11th, 2018, 6:59 PM
Losing their pitching coach really hurt them this year.

Well I for one am thankful for Cleveland's pitching coach leaving. The Mets may be down right now, but he will make them right soon enough. :)

Rick
July 11th, 2018, 7:51 PM
Tribe is leading 11-0 in the 4th. Will the bullpen blow it tonight?

Rick
July 11th, 2018, 7:57 PM
Make that 13-0 in the 4th.

Ludwig
July 11th, 2018, 8:09 PM
It's not the number of runs that matters as long as the team gets a Win. Baseball is a binary game, you either win or lose and nothing else counts except to keep the statistics nuts working.

CenTexDave
July 11th, 2018, 8:12 PM
Nope, 17-0. New record for most runs by a team in the first four innings of a game. :))

Rick
July 11th, 2018, 8:16 PM
17-0 top of the 5th.

Rick
July 11th, 2018, 8:17 PM
And everyone in CLE is wondering if it's enough once Francona calls the bullpen.

Ludwig
July 11th, 2018, 8:25 PM
Nope, 17-0. New record for most runs by a team in the first four innings of a game. :))Yippie. Give them a Kewpi Doll. Really, WGAS in the end. You can set all the records you want but it's only thw W/L that will get you into the post-season.

CenTexDave
July 11th, 2018, 8:43 PM
You don't understand, Ludwig. Last night they were leading 7-0 after a superb game by Bauer. Went to the bullpen for the 9th and lost the game. :))
The only problem with tonight's blowout is they scored 9 in the 3rd, 6 in the 4th, and Carrasco tightened up and they had to replace him.

Rick
July 11th, 2018, 9:43 PM
They squeaked out the win. 19-4.

CenTexDave
July 11th, 2018, 9:43 PM
Final 19-4. Plutko pitched the final 4 innings and gave up 2 HRs. Showed he's destined to be sent down to AAA again.

CenTexDave
July 11th, 2018, 9:48 PM
And just like that - pooofff - the record is gone. The Rockies have put up 18 tonight in their first four innings. :))

Night Owl
July 11th, 2018, 10:10 PM
It's called baseball and anything can happen.

Rick
July 13th, 2018, 9:12 PM
Tribe beat the Yukkies tonight, 6-5 to avenge last night's loss.

CenTexDave
July 13th, 2018, 9:19 PM
And the kid, Shane Bieber, did real good. JRam 68 RBIs now. Tied for league lead in HRs. MVP type season.

CenTexDave
July 14th, 2018, 9:32 PM
Yankees edge the Tribe, 5-4. Clevinger takes the loss, but not his fault. Yankees scored the winning run on a double which turned into a little league type HR
courtesy of two Tribe errors - Guyer misplayed it, then Gonzalez tossed the relay into the stands.
JRam hit his 29th.

mac
July 14th, 2018, 10:47 PM
hard to believe the Rangers lost tonight.....just plain ought not have happened. it's a hell of a life trying to watch the nascar race and ranger game at the same time......mac

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 12:04 AM
LOL.
The Rangers should be sellers soon. Get some talent and/or draft picks. That Shoo Shin Choo or whatever his name is is having a good year. The Indians could seriously use him
as their outfield is decimated with injuries.

mac
July 15th, 2018, 12:16 PM
LOL.
The Rangers should be sellers soon. Get some talent and/or draft picks. That Shoo Shin Choo or whatever his name is is having a good year. The Indians could seriously use him
as their outfield is decimated with injuries.

the indians only hire players born and bred.....or bred and born in Cleveland.....otherwise folks might accuse them of 'importing' their players like the French do...but, then again, last time I looked, not a single Cleveland Indian was raised in Cleveland.....mac

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 1:36 PM
Mac, get real.
Besides, I thought I was watching Croatia play a team from Africa, not France.

Rick
July 15th, 2018, 1:44 PM
Today's game is on TBS.

mac
July 15th, 2018, 2:37 PM
Mac, get real.
Besides, I thought I was watching Croatia play a team from Africa, not France.

can't help but say that I thought the same thing, till I heard 'em talk.....mac

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 3:10 PM
French is easy to learn. lol
Tribe takes care of the Yankees, 5-2. Fat Ed and Dr. Smooth go deep.
These announcers on TNT are paid for by the Yankees. Never heard such b.s. from a supposed "neutral" announcing crew.

Rick
July 15th, 2018, 3:58 PM
Hope Encarnacion isn't hurt too bad. Looks like he has been taking crybaby lessons from LeBron.

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2018, 4:46 PM
I'm sure it was unintentional. Maybe. Or was it. Brantley had just homered, Ramirez had just walked.
Anyway, was a good series and all games close.
And the Tribe sends 5 to the All-Star game: Ramirez, Lindor, Brantley, Gomes and Bauer, plus Kluber who was selected is sitting it out, so that is 6, most of any team.

Rick
July 15th, 2018, 9:11 PM
Francona said that the ball hit the meaty part of his hand and that he was feeling better rather quickly. Nothing serious. Good news.

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2018, 6:55 AM
He still ain't worth $18M. :)

mac
July 16th, 2018, 11:30 AM

he is to someone!

CenTexDave
July 16th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Probably his wife. :))

Rick
July 17th, 2018, 1:59 PM

Well for that matter there is only one person worth that much and that would be, the one and only, Mr. Jackie Steve Welch.

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2018, 3:57 PM
All I'm saying about Edwin Encarnacin is that, while he produces a fair amount of HRs, and a better than good amount of RBIs, his batting average is terrible - believe it is now .224.
Jose Ramirez, for a mere $2+M, is hitting .302, tied for the lead in HRs, and second in RBIs. Lindor is even a better bargain, but we'll lose this kid in a few more years. Dolan might be
a billionaire but won't be able to keep him. He may become the highest paid player of all time.
The window of opportunity is closing. With $18M tied up in Fat Ed., another $14M next year for Kipnis (and nobody would want a 2B who is hitting .225 so forget about trading him),
they need to resign Brantley. Now Michael Brantley doesn't strike me as the kind of player who will just hit the free agent market and sign for the highest amount. He knows the team's
loyalty, so hopefully will agree to something around $12M/year for 4 years or so. Think we still have both Kluber and Carrasco for another year before they become free agents. Bauer is
on a one year deal and swears he'll never sign more than a one year deal. So sign him for $12M and keep him. He's the best young pitcher in baseball.

CenTexDave
July 18th, 2018, 8:06 AM
Anyone watch that farce of an all-star game? AL won it in 10 innings. 10 home runs to go along with 25 strikeouts!!! :))
Baseball is not the same game we all grew up with.

fchafey
July 18th, 2018, 8:10 AM
Anyone watch that farce of an all-star game? AL won it in 10 innings. 10 home runs to go along with 25 strikeouts!!! :))
Baseball is not the same game we all grew up with.

We decided to rewatch all the seasons of Game of Thrones. Between episodes or potty breaks I had the game on. I did notice a lot of empty seats. Also saw the interview with Machado going to the Dodgers. I totally agree, the All Star game is on par with the Pro Bowl.....

CenTexDave
July 18th, 2018, 8:23 AM
Evidently a monsoon hit the D.C. area yesterday afternoon and flooded the dugouts. There was even talk of postponing the game (to when - tonight?!) or cancelling it. I imagine the storms kept
a lot of people away. Then again, it's D.C. Venture out at night and your last stop of the evening might be the morgue.

CenTexDave
July 19th, 2018, 5:00 PM
The Tribe pulled the plug and got two relievers today from San Diego - their closer who is an all-star (Brad Hand) and a rookie fireballer who throws sidearm, Adam Cimber. They had
to give up their #1 prospect, catcher Francisco Mejia, but Mejia wasn't coming up to the bigs as long as Yan Gomes was still catching and Francona was manager. They gave the kid a
chance to play the outfield, but he simply didn't want to and wasn't very good at it. So it's a win-win for all concerned. Miller should be back in a week or even less.
Will then be interesting to see which relievers get the axe.
The Tribe just became serious contenders for another World Series appearance. Still need some OF help - maybe they'll go after Shoo Shin Choo when in Texas this weekend, but Choo
has a huge back-loaded contract ($20M next year and the following year) so doubt they can afford to make the move.

Rick
July 20th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Will then be interesting to see which relievers get the axe.

All of them?

The Tribe just became serious contenders for another World Series appearance. Still need some OF help - maybe they'll go after Shoo Shin Choo when in Texas this weekend, but Choo
has a huge back-loaded contract ($20M next year and the following year) so doubt they can afford to make the move.
Getting these two pitchers should make a difference. I don't see them going after Choo for that kind of money.

Brantley staying healthy has been a good thing.

CenTexDave
July 20th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Yep, Choo is just way too expensive. But they need to find some OF help from somewhere. Doubt Chisenhall will be back this season. Last I heard he was 8-10 weeks rehab.
Even if he comes back, will take him a good 2 weeks to get his feet under him and then he'll probably get hurt again. Just time to give up on this guy unfortunately. Melky Cabrera
is doing good at Columbus - hitting .321. A switch hitter, but like Naquin, Allen and Guyer, absolutely no power. Brandon Barnes, a highly touted prospect, is hitting only .287 at Columbus, but
has power. But doubt he's ready. So I could live with an OF of Brantley, Naquin, Cabrera, Davis and either Allen or Guyer. Don't know why Davis doesn't get more playing time. The guy
gets on base and he's always a threat to steal.
This was a great trade for the Tribe. Both of these relievers are very good and, more importantly, won't become free agents at the end of the year like Miller and Allen. So they planned
ahead and solidified the bullpen. And for the rest of this year the bullpen should be lights out. No more having to ask Otero, McAllister, etc to pitch more than 1 inning. Will be a huge difference.

Ludwig
July 20th, 2018, 8:10 PM
I’m at the ballpark watching Choo show His value. Top of the 3rd now.

CenTexDave
July 20th, 2018, 8:15 PM
Bauer looks like dog poop. :)

sojourner truth
July 20th, 2018, 9:53 PM
Not to fear.... The Rangers he a whole new take on how to give away a game. Just watch bannister let Perez give away the game, wait until he has over 100 pitches, and then call in another loser in a long line of losers in the Ranger bullpen.

Ho hum... Been watching them snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory all season. No change in tactics going on tonight either. Only semi bright point so far is the new hitter they called up.

What they need to do is get rid of a lot of those high priced strike out kings they have like No hit Nomar and low ball Gallo and bring up a few promising kids from Class A ball. And as long as they are in a firing mood, which never happens with them, they could get rid of Bannister and their GM. They recycle the same old losers over and over again. Somebody must be keeping a warm seat on the bus for the Profars and Ruas that always seem to find their way back into the lineup. Until they get serious about winning, they will just be the same old mediocre Rangers we all have come to expect. And love.

Rick
July 20th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Well, Hand is not off to a good start. Four pitches and a two run homer. Indians still leading 7-6.

CenTexDave
July 20th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Andrew Miller did the same to the first batter he faced when we got him.
But leave it to Allen - comes in with a 8-6 lead and gets 2 K's, then gives up 2 HRs. Now in the bottom of the 10th.

Rick
July 20th, 2018, 11:35 PM
He blew it big time.

Rick
July 20th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Mcallister did a good job. loaded the bases, then retired the side. To the 11th inning.

CenTexDave
July 20th, 2018, 11:54 PM
We have the lead now. JRam double and Fat Ed single.
Up to nOtero to finish it. I hope.

Rick
July 20th, 2018, 11:57 PM
Tribe wins. Otero did a great job in the 11th after the Tribe took the lead in the top of the 11th.

Rick
July 20th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Otero needed that after the fiasco of the miscommunication between Francona and the pitching coach a week or so ago.

CenTexDave
July 20th, 2018, 11:59 PM
Hee haw!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
July 21st, 2018, 12:12 AM
The bullpen needed that boost tonight. Otero really came through.

And if anyone is not impressed with Ramirez' hustle, they must be dead.

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 12:10 PM
Ramirez, if he keeps going the second half of the season as he has the first half, is a definite MVP candidate. Lots of people are in favor of Mike Trout of the Angels, J.D. Martinez of the Red Sox and Mookie Betts of the Red Sox. But
let's compare stats up to now: JRam: .302, 30 HR, 71 RBI; Trout: .307, 25 HR, 50 RBI; Martinez: .325, 29 HR, 80 RBI; Betts: .354, 23 HR, 51 RBI. Just for the hell of it, to compare Betts as a lead off hitter I'll toss in Frankie
Lindor: .292, 25 HR, 62 RBI.
Martinez is a solid hitter, but he's a Designated Hitter, does not play in the OF, is lousy defensively, and cannot steal a base. I could never vote for a DH unless he won a Triple Crown by a huge margin.
Trout is having a great year, but his RBIs are the least of this group.
Betts has a high BA, good HR production, fair amount of RBIs, but as a lead off hitter Lindor has more HRs and quite a few more RBIs.
JRam is leading the bigs in HRs, 2nd in RBIs to Martinez, great defensive 3B and steals plenty of bases.
To me, and I know I'm a bit prejudiced, the selection is easy - Jose Ramirez. I hope Betts and Martinez splits the vote from the baseball writers up in and near Boston. That should open the door for JRam.

Night Owl
July 21st, 2018, 12:47 PM
Martinez, his numbers are tops and a DH is still a position in the lineup.

Dave, Dave , Dave I'll refer you back to post 172. Roflmao

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 12:56 PM
Martinez, his numbers are tops and a DH is still a position in the lineup.

Dave, Dave , Dave I'll refer you back to post 172. Roflmao

Yes, DH is a position, but he sits on his ass so can't make errors. Sorry, while having a great season hitting he's not a complete player.
And, Owl, that was before they split with the Yankees. Then the trade. :))

Night Owl
July 21st, 2018, 2:49 PM
Yes, DH is a position, but he sits on his ass so can't make errors. Sorry, while having a great season hitting he's not a complete player.
And, Owl, that was before they split with the Yankees. Then the trade. :))
But he is a complete player. Since pitchers don't hit does that rule them out of the MVP? They are just sitting on their asses for over half the game. Since a DH doesn't field does he get to count what the pitcher does or vice versa.:))

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 3:27 PM
"Since pitchers don't hit does that rule them out of the MVP?" No, it doesn't. Unless a pitcher is totally dominant and wins well over
20 games these days (winning 20 is pretty hard now that all teams use 5 starters) he won't win the MVP.
So I guess these 5 guys have a chance at winning the Cy Young? I mean, they don't pitch, but according to you there isn't a difference.
Ok, so I guess Martinez gets 2 votes - yours and his. :)

fchafey
July 21st, 2018, 4:23 PM
If Ohtani gets his era a bit lower and puts a few more homers on the board, I believe he will be the MVP....Ramirez is having a very good year, but...…...

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 6:36 PM
Fred - Ohtani is so far behind in pitching and hitting that he'll probably be Rookie of the Year but that's about it.
West coast sports writers will now probably vote for Manny Machado after he was traded to the Dodgers.

Rick
July 21st, 2018, 7:18 PM
My daughter and I are at the game tonight. Funny that Bartolo Colon is pitching. Charlie Pride sang the National Anthem.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/cea26bf418557c677bf276def28bdf56.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/fd1be36e9f6024bab1b1a0931487a8d3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/e471718034085772767efb18b37c60c8.jpg

Ricky
July 21st, 2018, 8:07 PM
My daughter and I are at the game tonight. Funny that Bartolo Colon is pitching. Charlie Pride sang the National Anthem.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/cea26bf418557c677bf276def28bdf56.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/fd1be36e9f6024bab1b1a0931487a8d3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/e471718034085772767efb18b37c60c8.jpg

:thumbsup:thumbsup:clap:clap

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 8:12 PM
Too damn hot to sit there and watch it.

Rick
July 21st, 2018, 8:30 PM
We almost canceled, but it's not that bad.

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 8:35 PM
Hope you're enjoying the game. Ranger fans aren't. :))

sojourner truth
July 21st, 2018, 8:42 PM
Hope you're enjoying the game. Ranger fans aren't. :))

Oh, Not so Dave... It simply reinforces our conviction that the GM and Bannister are about as smart as bricks. Colon is so predictable, shoot, all the Rangers pitchers are. If you really want to win a game, let the starter pitch 4 innings, and then start relieving. The other teams always figure out the Ranger pitcher after they've gone through the order twice, then it's Katy bar the gate.

Gallo and his stumbling fumble fingers in right field is pathetic. And it appears that the Rangers have decided to take a break on hitting tonight. If you watch really close you will see they have only one batter who actually watches the pitch coming in before he swings... And that is Odor. The rest of them just swing away, shooting for the rafters and trying to lift one out of the park. They have yet to realize that you do not win games on home runs without having runners on base. And like last night, they tend to get runners ion base and then run out of anyone who can get even one home. Bases loaded, no outs, and can't get so much as one guy in... even on a sac fly.

The Rangers are still my team, but have dearly earned their basement position this season. In spades.

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 8:50 PM
8-0 now. Loving it.

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 8:56 PM
9-0. Everyone, including me, at times this season thought the Tribe was dead. We all forget they seem to play better in the second half of the season.

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 9:22 PM
10-0 :))

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 10:05 PM
16-3. Turned into a real laugher.

CenTexDave
July 21st, 2018, 10:44 PM
The Tribe's offense for the past few weeks has really come around. They are now 2nd in runs scored with 512, bypassing Houston and the Yankees and trailing only Boston. The bullpen will be improved once Hand and Cinder get on board, and
Miller should be back in 7-10 days.

Rick
July 22nd, 2018, 12:03 AM
Despite the heat, we really enjoyed the game. The seats were great and one hell of a bargain. They were $94 on the Rangers site, but Stubhub had them for $52 plus fees.

I had tickets from Vettix, but they were upper deck, so I decided to upgrade. Was so glad that I did. In all the games I've been to, I have never sat that close.

We even got the Andrus bobblehead.

Here are a couple more pictures.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/2d2510eaa4e25a14ea3b4b69d2e35301.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/e79dd528e51bfc19ae44c5f347255867.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/51028f8dda8c79fed032d116fa78254b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/856e88184c46fb283d12002004568311.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/40e2e510e6550a384d56d686911f989f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180722/9077ef0aeb2176dfffd849bebc2e0189.jpg

fchafey
July 22nd, 2018, 9:06 AM
Fred - Ohtani is so far behind in pitching and hitting that he'll probably be Rookie of the Year but that's about it.
West coast sports writers will now probably vote for Manny Machado after he was traded to the Dodgers.

Yea, I forgot about him being a rookie. The west coast sports writers love Trout anyway. Maybe this year the Indians......they are certainly due.

CenTexDave
July 22nd, 2018, 11:07 AM
And I don't know what I'm thinking. Machado is now a Dodger - National League. Mike Trout will get most of the west coast sports writers' votes for MVP. These awards
usually show regional voting influence.

fchafey
July 22nd, 2018, 3:44 PM
What would be good for baseball right now? a Milwaukee vs. Cleveland WS. Why not.

Rick
July 22nd, 2018, 4:42 PM
The Rangers avoided the sweep today. Beating the Tribe 5-0.