PDA

View Full Version : Bi-District Round

stevendub
November 12th, 2017, 7:25 PM
All games on Friday @ 7:30 PM

Ellison (6-4) @ #6 Duncanville (10-0)

South Grand Prairie (6-4) @ Belton (6-4)

Copperas Cove (5-5) @ #10 DeSoto (9-1)

Grand Prairie (5-5) @ #4 Waco Midway (10-0)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CenTexDave
November 13th, 2017, 6:37 AM
Unless you're Midway, lots of luck. :))

stevendub
November 17th, 2017, 12:03 AM
Eagles have played Duncanville in the playoffs once before in 1998 when both teams were state ranked (in the 1st round, crazy). That was a really good Ellison team with outstanding players (Tommie Harris was on that team, yes?)..obviously it wouldn’t work it’d be too crowded, but people still wonder sometimes how good Killeen & Ellison would be today if there were still 2 teams. That year also kickstarted Cove into being the program people in Texas have known them to be for most of the past 19 years.

CenTexDave
November 17th, 2017, 6:44 AM
Remember the 98 playoffs well. Ellison, I believe, was ranked #1. Cove kind of backed into the playoffs by beating Killeen the last game of the season. Ellison got beat in the bi-district, while Cove beat #4 ranked
Arlington Lamar. Cove won the next week also defeating Irving Nimitz at Texas Stadium. Their season ended the following week when they lost to eventual state champ, and Cedric Benson-led, Midland Lee. Cove's Vontez
Duff outrushed Midland's Benson. Was a good game but Cove fell way behind in the first half and could never catch up. That Cove team produced a bundle of Div 1 college players and some NFL players - Peanut Tillman,
Duff (Notre Dame), T.J. Hollowell (Nebraska), Aaron Mickan (Iowa). Those guys also took a 2nd place in team competition at the state track meet. Good group of athletes.

CenTexDave
November 17th, 2017, 6:53 PM
Please post scores as we learn of them.

CenTexDave
November 17th, 2017, 7:28 PM
Cove wins!!!!!......the coin toss.:)

CenTexDave
November 17th, 2017, 7:38 PM
DeSoto scores quick. Will be a blowout.

stevendub
November 17th, 2017, 7:45 PM
Duncanville up 7-0, Grand Prairie up 7-0 on Midway & South Grand Prairie tied 7-7 with Belton

CenTexDave
November 17th, 2017, 7:48 PM
Dawgs 45 yard FG, 7-3 DeSoto.

CenTexDave
November 17th, 2017, 8:20 PM
20-3, DeSoto, late 2nd.

CenTexDave
November 17th, 2017, 8:52 PM
27-3, halftime

CenTexDave
November 17th, 2017, 9:39 PM
37-3, DeSoto, late 3rd. Duncanville destroying Ellison last I heard, 52-0, Midway up 40-11 and Belton also losing.

stevendub
November 17th, 2017, 10:40 PM
Midway 46, Grand Prairie 18
Duncanville 62, Ellison 0
DeSoto 44, Copperas Cove 10
South Grand Prairie 37, Belton 34
All final scores. Best of luck to Midway

CenTexDave
November 18th, 2017, 9:09 AM
Our district is screwed until UIL realignment gets us out of this bi-district with the likes of Duncanville and DeSoto.
I find it odd that we are District 8 while District 4 is Arlington area; Dist. 5 is Lewisville, Euless, SLC; Dist. 6 is Allen, Plano, McKinney; Dist. 7 is Duncanville, Irving area, DeSoto; Dist. 9 is Coppell, Dallas, Richardson; and Dist. 10 is Garland area.
Reminds me when the UIL shifted our district into Region I so the Lady Dawgs' great basketball teams wouldn't face Georgetown until at least State Semis. Seems the Georgetown's coach was married to the head of the UIL.
I also note that Cove has an enrollment of 2230. This is something like the 7th smallest school in all of 6-A.

gnatsum
November 18th, 2017, 11:32 AM
I also note that Cove has an enrollment of 2230. This is something like the 7th smallest school in all of 6-A.

That's one of the stats that I look up every year when Dave Campbell's Texas Football is published every year. Interesting to see which school is obviously going to be headed for the 'big school' playoff (Div. 1) and which ones won't be.
Problem is that I don't remember that stat once the season gets under way...:)
Also forgot who DCTF picked as this district's champ...

CenTexDave
November 18th, 2017, 12:05 PM
As usual, they picked Midway. They did err, though - picked Cove to finish 5th. :))