PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control

mac
September 5th, 2017, 6:44 PM
well, the Virgin Islands just decided to confiscate all weapons and ammo before the hurricane hits......mac

Mestral
September 6th, 2017, 4:28 AM
I know the Virgin Islands have a relationship with the U.S. but, does the U.S. Bill of Rights extend to them?

If so, I hope they give the federales the ammo first.
Business end first.

From another perspective, shouldn't they be spending all of their energy, right now, "battening down the hatches"?

Shotgun Jeremy
September 6th, 2017, 11:28 AM
well, the Virgin Islands just decided to confiscate all weapons and ammo before the hurricane hits......mac

Yea, good luck with that. We all know they're only going to attempt to confiscate, but many weapons will not be known about.

Night Owl
September 6th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Can't have law abiding citizens protecting their property against looters now can we. Yea I know it's not the US........yet.

Dagobert II
September 6th, 2017, 11:42 AM
So they're gonna try to be just like Chicago or Australia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH76VoI_hsw

mac
September 6th, 2017, 11:43 AM
I know the Virgin Islands have a relationship with the U.S. but, does the U.S. Bill of Rights extend to them?

If so, I hope they give the federales the ammo first.
Business end first.

From another perspective, shouldn't they be spending all of their energy, right now, "battening down the hatches"?

actually, I was talkin' 'bout the British Virgin Islands, not the U.S......my bad....The Virgin Islands belong to 3 different Nations, the U.S., Great Britain and either Portugal or Spain (I forget which).......seems to me like Denmark might own a couple of them too.....and, of course, one of the Islands belongs to that guy that owns Virgin Air Lines (can't remember his name right now either, he's a buddy of Obama).....mac

Ricky
September 6th, 2017, 12:18 PM
actually, I was talkin' 'bout the British Virgin Islands, not the U.S......my bad....The Virgin Islands belong to 3 different Nations, the U.S., Great Britain and either Portugal or Spain (I forget which).......seems to me like Denmark might own a couple of them too.....and, of course, one of the Islands belongs to that guy that owns Virgin Air Lines (can't remember his name right now either, he's a buddy of Obama).....mac

Richard Branson, Necker Island

mac
September 6th, 2017, 1:29 PM
Richard Branson, Necker Island

yeow....that's him. seems like the Obamas were his house and yacht guests here a few weeks back....but now, of course, they're sponging/slumming off of someone in the mediterranean.....mac

fchafey
September 6th, 2017, 1:35 PM
yeow....that's him. seems like the Obamas were his house and yacht guests here a few weeks back....but now, of course, they're sponging/slumming off of someone in the mediterranean.....mac

....I heard 44 was at the golf course....:)7129

Mestral
September 6th, 2017, 2:54 PM
....I heard 44 was at the golf course....:)
While he was resident in the White House, he got in more golf games than
Tiger Woods. You think he will still be able to keep up that torrid pace, now
that he has a job he actually cares about (undermining our National Security)?

Mestral
September 6th, 2017, 5:49 PM

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/09/05/gov-virgins-islands-orders-seizure-privately-owned-guns-ammo-ahead-hurricane/

With hurricane Irma expected to dump heavy rains and high winds on the U.S. Virgin Islands, Gov. Kenneth E. Mapp has ordered the Virgin Islands National Guard into active service and authorized them to seize privately-owned firearms and ammunition.
The order is worded so that they can seize firearms and ammunition as needed to carry out their duties.
http://dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/NATL-GUARD.pdf

The Adjutant General is directed pursuant to Title 23, Section 1520, Virgin Islands Code to take whatever actions she considers necessary to carry out the assigned mission. In accordance with Title 23 Section 1522, Virgin Islands Code, The Adjutant General is authorized and directed to seize arms, ammunition, explosives, incendiary material and any other property that may be required by the military forces for the performance of this emergency mission, in accordance with the Rules of Force promulgated by the Virgins Island National Guard and approved by the Virgin Islands Department of Justice.
So, it is a fine distinction. Commandeering is a form of seizure, but for the purpose of use, rather than to deny rights. Injury to the citizen is incidental, and not the intent. I still don't agree with it. Their are better ways to run a country.

Mestral
September 7th, 2017, 7:08 AM
The governor of the Virgin Islands said that it was all a misunderstanding:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/09/06/u-s-virgin-islands-gov-order-seize-guns-not-mean-seize-guns/

During a September 6 interview by Fox News’s Tucker Carlson, U.S. Virgin Islands Gov. Kenneth Mapp suggested his order directing The Adjutant General of the Virgin Islands National Guard to “seize arms” does not mean “seize arms.”

Mapp said, “I did not order or authorize The Adjutant General of the Virgin Islands National Guard to seize any weapons from any citizens, and I do not have the power by Virgins Islands law or by the Constitution of the United States to seize weapons from citizens via the military.”

Mapp then said the order is “a standing order that most Adjutant Generals receive.” He said that, when the order says The Adjutant General may “seize arms,” it means: “if they did not have sufficient weaponry, they would go to any place, like a store, [where] they could buy that stuff. Meaning that she has the authorization to spend government resources and acquire it. It is no different than the same example as when the government seizes property, we do not seize property without due compensation to the property owner.”
Mark Steyn was the next guest on Tucker Carlson’s show and commented on Mapp’s statements, saying, “It was as fantastically obfuscatory interview … and by the way, if I was a resident of the U.S. Virgin Islands, I would not be altogether reassured by that performance.”

Maybe someone should suggest that "seize control" of the governor's mansion doesn't mean to "seize control" of the governor's mansion. Or you could substitute pretty much any other thing for "governor's mansion"

CenTexDave
September 7th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Whatever. I imagine most "subjects" in the US Virgin Islands would just tell their national guard to pound sand.

Dagobert II
September 7th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Whatever. I imagine most "subjects" in the US Virgin Islands would just tell their national guard to pound sand.

... or shoot them and leave the bodies for Irma to dispose of.

Dagobert II
September 7th, 2017, 11:03 AM
http://www.vi.ngb.army.mil/images/howell_TAG_small.jpg

This being the Adjutant General of the US Virgin Islands, I don't know that I'd care to seize her by anything.