PDA

View Full Version : Ticks! Yuck!!

my3dogs
June 24th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I am embarrassed to say that I have been finding ticks on my fur kids. If I don't get them under control and quick, I will start finding them on my skin kids. I do not have a flea issue at the moment, but it's my understanding they come hand in hand. I have had no luck with Frontline or Frontline Plus when it comes to ticks, only fleas. I feel Frontline products are way too expensive to not work the way they should.
I was wondering if Dr. Buckley could suggest to me how to get rid of these disgusting bloodsuckers in the most economical way without harming my fur kids, as well as my skin kids.

I should probably add that I have my yard professionally sprayed every 3 months and keep my grass cut short as I should. I believe they are coming from my neighbor who rarely ever cuts their yard and they have weeds half way up the fence in the back yard. Should I put Sevin Dust along the fenceline or would this possibly harm my dogs?

CenTexDave
June 24th, 2009, 1:21 PM
I don't know about Sevin Dust, but I would definitely be spraying the fences and even into their backyard with something like Malathion (sp??). You might also like to mention to your neighbors that it appears these ticks are coming from his uncut backyard. If that doesn't get them doing some mowing then call code enforcement.
I used to use Frontline when I had dogs and it handled the ticks and the fleas. But I also used to get a pair of tweezers and just pull them out of a golden lab I had.

my3dogs
June 24th, 2009, 1:32 PM
When I first started using Frontline a few years ago, it worked great. I don't know if the little suckers have built up a resistance to it or what, but I put it on all of my dogs a couple of weeks ago. While I have no fleas, I picked about 30 or so ticks off my dogs last night and when I let them out this morning, I found hitchhikers on one of them when they came back in from their potty break.
I sat down last night with a pair of tweezers and a bottle of alchohol picking them off. Now I just have the heebie jeebies knowing these things are crawling around and it creeps me out thinking about how many of them I missed. I have to individually check each dog every time they come back inside from their potty breaks.
It makes me think of the Visa/Mastercard commercials.

Flea/tick prevention 2000.00. Peace of mind against fleas/ticks, priceless.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 24th, 2009, 2:54 PM
Ticks can be more difficult to control than fleas though both can make you (and your dog) want to pull your hair out. Frontline should be effective in killing ticks but remember that the ticks will still get on the dog since they are in the environment. Also, make certain that you apply the Frontline every 30 days especially if ticks are the issue. Sometimes you can wait a little longer if fleas are the issue.

I have had several clients tell me that they believe fleas and ticks are becoming resistant to the Frontline. For these clients I am recommending a product called Vectra and it appears to be working great. I use it on my own dogs and have been pleased. It is expensive but the efficacy seems great.

All external parasite issues are premise problems. Therefore treatment of the pet and the environment, both inside and out, are essential for effective control.

Night Owl
June 24th, 2009, 5:30 PM
I have been told that sulfer on your yard will do away with these critters.

my3dogs
June 24th, 2009, 6:12 PM
Ticks can be more difficult to control than fleas though both can make you (and your dog) want to pull your hair out. Frontline should be effective in killing ticks but remember that the ticks will still get on the dog since they are in the environment. Also, make certain that you apply the Frontline every 30 days especially if ticks are the issue. Sometimes you can wait a little longer if fleas are the issue.

I have had several clients tell me that they believe fleas and ticks are becoming resistant to the Frontline. For these clients I am recommending a product called Vectra and it appears to be working great. I use it on my own dogs and have been pleased. It is expensive but the efficacy seems great.

All external parasite issues are premise problems. Therefore treatment of the pet and the environment, both inside and out, are essential for effective control.

Considering I have my house and yard professionally exterminated every 3 months, I don't understand why I am having an environmental issue. I treat my dogs with Frontline Plus every month, but will no longer use that product.
I have become very reluctant to use any spot on type treatment. I have read that Promeris is giving lots of dogs bad side effects and in some, death.
I just got the Preventic tick collar for all my dogs and am going to spray my yard myself, because I just can't wait until Friday when the exterminator returns.
Wish me luck!!

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I wish you luck in stopping those ticks! Remember, the environment is very dynamic and stray cats and other animals can potentially be re-seeding your yard and surroundings. Also, the life cycle of ticks can often require treatments of the environment every 2 weeks or so until the problem is resolved.