PDA

View Full Version : Tyrants Never Learn

Dagobert II
June 14th, 2017, 12:00 AM
Three and a half years after he was accused of knowingly alarming shoppers by carrying a long rifle through Parkdale Mall, a Hardin County man was acquitted by a Jefferson County jury after his attorney argued that he was not wearing the weapon to intentionally scare people.
Derek Poe (http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/search/?action=search&channel=news&inlineLink=1&searchindex=gsa&query=%22Derek+Poe%22), 28, who steadfastly asserted his constitutional rights, was found not guilty on Thursday of a charge of disorderly conduct.

On Dec. 28, 2013, Poe, who was the owner of Golden Triangle Tactical, a store selling firearm accessories inside the mall, walked through the building with an AR-15, a semiautomatic rifle, strapped to his back.
At least one person called 911 after seeing Poe with the gun, and Beaumont Police confiscated the weapon. He was later charged with disorderly conduct. The District Attorney's Office contended Poe violated a statute by "intentionally and knowingly display[ing] a deadly weapon, namely a firearm, in a public place and in a manner calculated to alarm."
Walker said the jury acquitted Poe after only 10 minutes of deliberation.
If he decides to do that again, just because he got off on that, we would go after him again," he [the prosecutor] said.

Source: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Jury-clears-Hardin-Co-man-in-mall-gun-carry-case-11216132.php#photo-13076758

CenTexDave
June 14th, 2017, 8:31 AM
Sounds like the prosecutor needs to get a wake up call in court himself.

onetime
June 14th, 2017, 9:32 AM
I’ve been to Beaumont several times with teammates and I can tell you that it is like taking a quantum leap back into the late 60s. Most of the whites attend school A or B most of the minorities attend the rest of them. Without even looking I’d bet that Mr Poe is a white male. Not sure why he was acquitted as it would create a stir to view someone walking with an assault rifle. Someone help me out here as I’m not abreast to gun laws at the moment. Was that legal then or now to carry an assault rifle on your back through the mall?

CenTexDave
June 14th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Perfectly legal. The article doesn't state there was a posted sign stating now guns allowed.

sojourner truth
June 14th, 2017, 11:01 AM
I’ve been to Beaumont several times with teammates and I can tell you that it is like taking a quantum leap back into the late 60s. Most of the whites attend school A or B most of the minorities attend the rest of them. Without even looking I’d bet that Mr Poe is a white male. Not sure why he was acquitted as it would create a stir to view someone walking with an assault rifle. Someone help me out here as I’m not abreast to gun laws at the moment. Was that legal then or now to carry an assault rifle on your back through the mall?

Assault rifle? A musket is an assault rifle if you ask a redcoat. It wouldn't matter if he was toting a pea shooter.

Not sure, but I believe Texas is an open carry area for long guns. Anything that holds more than one round is considered an assault rifle by those who want to ban firearms.

mac
June 14th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Perfectly legal. The article doesn't state there was a posted sign stating now guns allowed.

but don't you have to have a permit to carry a weapon.....even if it is in the open, now?......and that your and mine permits allows us to carry either way?....mac

Dagobert II
June 14th, 2017, 12:53 PM
I’ve been to Beaumont several times with teammates and I can tell you that it is like taking a quantum leap back into the late 60s. Most of the whites attend school A or B most of the minorities attend the rest of them. Without even looking I’d bet that Mr Poe is a white male. Not sure why he was acquitted as it would create a stir to view someone walking with an assault rifle. Someone help me out here as I’m not abreast to gun laws at the moment. Was that legal then or now to carry an assault rifle on your back through the mall? Unless there is a condition to the contrary (private property with posted notification to the contrary, prior felony convictions within five years by the possessor or actions on the part of the possessor that would indicate intent to cause alarm) it is perfectly legal in most places in the state of Texas to bear a long firearm. The fact that doing so may cause alarm is irrelevant in demonstrating the intent of the actor. There is not even a legal requirement that the firearm be shouldered on a sling although doing so goes a long way towards demolishing any allegation of intent to alarm. Almost all firearms in Texas are lawfully sold without slings and lawfully transported from the point of sale in that condition.

A different set of conditions applies to handguns though there are a lot of things that propel projectiles that are not legally classified as handguns (black powder replicas and these things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7krlrcGtms&t).

onetime
June 14th, 2017, 1:48 PM
So you could walk into Killeen mall with an AR-15 on your shoulder? Hmm this is why Amazon hourly and take outs get more and more of my money yearly.

Night Owl
June 14th, 2017, 2:35 PM
What assault weapon was he carrying? An AR 15 is NOT an assault weapon.

If you want to post false flags I will call you on them. Again you prove you are a snowflake. Maybe you should educate yourself on the definition of an assault weapon. I'm beginning to believe you just aren't very bright.

Night Owl
June 14th, 2017, 2:37 PM
So you could walk into Killeen mall with an AR-15 on your shoulder? Hmm this is why Amazon hourly and take outs get more and more of my money yearly.
Why are you so afraid?

sojourner truth
June 14th, 2017, 2:49 PM

If you want to post false flags I will call you on them. Again you prove you are a snowflake. Maybe you should educate yourself on the definition of an assault weapon. I'm beginning to believe you just aren't very bright.

Must have been watching NBCs expert this morning. The one that called an AR15 an assault weapon, and said it was full automatic. She couldn't tell the difference between a semi automatic pistol and a semi auto rifle. To her, anything other than a revolver is semi automatic. Hell, even a revolver is semi automatic to a point. Just holds fewer rounds.

But then all libs roll all firearms into one big lump and call them assault weapons. I also notice that these 2 incidents today happened in Ca. and Alexandria Va., where gun laws forbid firearms. Guess they need more signs. But then the perp was from Illinois, maybe Chicago. Oh... wait. They are banned there as well. Well, more laws will fix the problem for sure. Better yet, ban firearms altogether and that will keep the criminals from getting them, right?

Maybe they can smother the bad guys in snowflakes and cream puffs. Hold a cumbayah rally with flowers and balloons and candles. That will show solidarity.

mac
June 14th, 2017, 3:24 PM

well, to the libs and anti 2nd amendment folks any black fire arm is an assault weapon. it's gotten so bad that I no longer know if I even know what an assault rifle is......i guess it has to be full auto with a bayonet lug but I wouldn't bet on it. as far as i'm concerned it's a made up rule or definition anyway.

i happened to be up and around this morning when this whole thing went down. in less than an hours time i heard the weapon referred to as a long black gun, a shot gun, an M1, an M16, and M4 and an AR 15.....mac

Night Owl
June 14th, 2017, 3:27 PM
well, to the libs and anti 2nd amendment folks any black fire arm is an assault weapon. it's gotten so bad that I no longer know if I even know what an assault rifle is......i guess it has to be full auto with a bayonet lug but I wouldn't bet on it. as far as i'm concerned it's a made up rule or definition anyway.

i happened to be up and around this morning when this whole thing went down. in less than an hours time i heard the weapon referred to as a long black gun, a shot gun, an M1, an M16, and M4 and an AR 15.....mac
But people like onetime, who would never think about serving in this nations military, want everyone to think all weapons are assault weapons. I would like to know why onetime and his buddies hate America, because I do think they hate America.

mac
June 14th, 2017, 3:36 PM
But people like onetime, who would never think about serving in this nations military, want everyone to think all weapons are assault weapons. I would like to know why onetime and his buddies hate America, because I do think they hate America.

i have one whale of a hard time understanding how anyone could "hate" America.......mac

Night Owl
June 14th, 2017, 3:43 PM
i have one whale of a hard time understanding how anyone could "hate" America.......mac
So do I but we are cut from different cloth than onetime and his snowflake buddies.

mac
June 14th, 2017, 3:43 PM
Was that legal then or now to carry an assault rifle on your back through the mall?

yes sir......ain't that neat!....mac

kantwin
June 14th, 2017, 3:50 PM
I'm glad that Alabama law specifically states that someone that is open carrying CANNOT be charged with disorderly conduct just by open carrying.

Dagobert II
June 14th, 2017, 6:49 PM
As regards the San Francisco shooting, I heard a government agent commenting on the event refer to the instrument used as an "assault pistol". I've never heard that term before and can only speculate that an "assault pistol" is a black, select fire, intermediate cartridge chambered pistol with a bayonet lug and one of those things that goes up or maybe a firearm that has the temerity to exist in San Francisco.

sojourner truth
June 14th, 2017, 7:31 PM
As regards the San Francisco shooting, I heard a government agent commenting on the event refer to the instrument used as an "assault pistol". I've never heard that term before and can only speculate that an "assault pistol" is a black, select fire, intermediate cartridge chambered pistol with a bayonet lug and one of those things that goes up or maybe a firearm that has the temerity to exist in San Francisco.

I heard that too and said "whaaat the hell".... It's all part of the next stage the lefties are planning for that calls for outlawing all guns...

That way, only the outlaws will have guns dontcha know.

But then, only the authorized type of folks should have any deterrent firearms... Like the police and such. And the lib lawmakers bodyguards and such. Oh, maybe old "concealed carry Feinstein" too....

mac
June 14th, 2017, 10:53 PM
As regards the San Francisco shooting, I heard a government agent commenting on the event refer to the instrument used as an "assault pistol". I've never heard that term before and can only speculate that an "assault pistol" is a black, select fire, intermediate cartridge chambered pistol with a bayonet lug and one of those things that goes up or maybe a firearm that has the temerity to exist in San Francisco. a

yeow, i heard that too....couldn't hardly believe it. well, that's our hard earned tax money hard at work....mac

Dagobert II
June 14th, 2017, 11:12 PM
But then, only the authorized type of folks should have any deterrent firearms... Like the police and such. And the lib lawmakers bodyguards and such. Oh, maybe old "concealed carry Feinstein" too.... I believe the public servant that was shot had government issue bodyguards. They must have been provided by the same fellow that provides everything to the government (except Killeen), the low bidder.

Some things ya gotta do yourself if you want them done right.

CenTexDave
June 15th, 2017, 11:51 AM
The Land of Nuts, Fairies and Fruitcakes, I believe, classifies any weapon that is a semi-auto as "an assault weapon".

Shotgun Jeremy
June 15th, 2017, 12:10 PM
but don't you have to have a permit to carry a weapon.....even if it is in the open, now?......and that your and mine permits allows us to carry either way?....mac
Permits apply to pistols only.

Killeen mall has in its rules that no weapons are allowed. They can ask a rifle carrier to leave.

sojourner truth
June 15th, 2017, 1:48 PM
Well, it does make me wonder why or how many representatives carry... or why not.

You would think with this current trend for the lefties to accept political violence as a means of protest more government employees don't choose to arm themselves.

The 2 agents guarding the majority whip were there only because he was the majority whip. And considering the result, they did a great job when you consider it was an AR 15 against 2 surprised agents with handguns. But if the whip wouldn't have been there, everyone would probably have been slaughtered.

And as quickly as the PD got there, it wouldn't have been fast enough. I did get a kick out of the local OD chief trying to get credit for stopping the shooter by tactfully mentioning how fast his people got there and took charge of the problem when it was the 2 government agents who stopped the shooter. He didn't even mention them or the other officer that responded except in passing towards the end of his statement... Guess he was looking for all the credit. He also had a tendency to reduce the response time by a minute or so every time he gave a speech... Next thing you will hear, the PD was probably there waiting for the guy when he opened up.

Some on the proposed actions considered for future days are to have more police awareness and increased presence in areas or activities where more than a few representatives are going to gather, along with better communications between government staff and local authorities. In the current atmosphere where it is increasingly OK to resort to violent protest against republicans and conservatives, that makes a lot of sense.

Just to recap a few of the other cases where violence and hate speech have been leveled at conservatives would be Kathy Griffiths beheading photo of Trump, the violent protests and riotous looting at Berkley against conservative speakers, the ambush city hall meeting where democrats are rudely shouting down their local reps, and the current number of threats against other congressional member that are pouring in daily on the internet.

Hundreds of those happen daily, and have been for some time..... Yet conservatives get the rap for being the haters...

The true colors of the democrat party have reared their ugly, vindictive, violent heads.

fchafey
June 15th, 2017, 1:59 PM
Not to split hairs but I understand the weapon was a legally purchased SKS 7.62. That would make that the old Soviet style M1 Carbine. Those can really tear some stuff up...

sojourner truth
June 15th, 2017, 4:12 PM
Yeah nobody really has put a solid ID on the weapon that was used. I was listening to the cell phone replay of the actual shooting, and I thought the rounds being fired had a different sound that a 5.56 Nato round.

I know it is ridiculed as pure nonsense that a 7.62 Soviet round has a unique sound when fired, but every time I have ever been shot at by one, or shot one myself, I thought there was a different sound to it.

An SKS is a pretty cheap entry level firearm for most who are initially buying a semi auto firearm, and is pretty crude tech as compared to an AR or an AK. Shoot, even my M1A is a better design for efficiency and magazine capacity. Not sure if a SKS mag can be modified to do more than its initial design, but I wouldn't doubt it. Having seen drum mags for AKs and such.

In reality, if I had to take a round from a weapon, I would rather it be a soviet 7.62 as it is less a damage doer than a 5.56. Good impact damage, but it tends to go straight through. I suppose someone who has been hit with one might feel differently.

mac
June 15th, 2017, 11:06 PM
Not to split hairs but I understand the weapon was a legally purchased SKS 7.62. That would make that the old Soviet style M1 Carbine. Those can really tear some stuff up...

i got shot with an sks 7.62. went through both sides of my armor vest and took out a kidney and part of my spleen on the way............mac

Ludwig
June 16th, 2017, 7:45 AM
i got shot with an sks 7.62. went through both sides of my armor vest and took out a kidney and part of my spleen on the way............macThat's because you likely were not wearing an armor vest, but rather were wearing a flack jacket. There is a world of difference between the two.

This is an armor vest: 7005

This is a flack jacket: 7006

CenTexDave
June 16th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Either way, a 7.62 round will do you a job.

mac
June 16th, 2017, 11:45 AM
That's because you likely were not wearing an armor vest, but rather were wearing a flack jacket. There is a world of difference between the two.

This is an armor vest: 7005

This is a flack jacket: 7006

well, I had on the one you call a "flak jacket". I made multiple tours to South Vietnam; MAGV, MACV, and USARV; in II Corps, III Corps and, of course, I Corp......and it's the only one I was ever issued. I've never ever seen the one you label as an "armor vest".....Now, I'm wondering why in the world the Army would ever invest in flak vests.....they never ever never fly through flak.....not even in their bird dogs and certainly not in their helos.....although I've seen an awful lot of these "flak vests" used as seat cushions by crew and pax alike on their birds......(never saw anybody ever sit on a steel pot to protect their heinie)......mac

sure wish i hadn't typed "heinie".....now I gotta go listen to Heino sing "come in meine wigwam (vigvam).....give it a shot, especially, but not only , you guys that speak or understand German...... you'll enjoy it......but it'll prob'ly stay in your head all day...google heino wigwam

fchafey
June 16th, 2017, 12:43 PM
sure wish i hadn't typed "heinie".....now I gotta go listen to Heino sing "come in meine wigwam (vigvam).....give it a shot, especially, but not only , you guys that speak or understand German...... you'll enjoy it......but it'll prob'ly stay in your head all day...google heino wigwam

Well kind Sir, if you would like to get that littlie ditty out of your head, I offer this one that will surely remove it.....trust me, just click the link and listen. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS62vK0tBLg

mac
June 16th, 2017, 1:40 PM
Well kind Sir, if you would like to get that littlie ditty out of your head, I offer this one that will surely remove it.....trust me, just click the link and listen. :)

wow! I wish I'd've known what you had there before I clicked on it. SKYSOLDIER!

you're right, Fred, but you're rotten to the core. this song will now (once again) stay in my head all day. Hells Bells, if I could still run I'd be out there runnin' right now.......oh well, thanx anyway.... I guess I oughtta be thankful that it wasn't "blood on the risers".....I'd be out there jumpin' out of my mulberry trees.....doin' PLFs (on 3 points).....mac

Night Owl
June 16th, 2017, 2:32 PM

Brings back memories at Pope AFB and over FT Bragg when I was young and full of piss and vinegar, now I am Old and just full of piss.