PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a handgun for a small handed woman

Night Owl
April 26th, 2017, 8:30 PM
I haven't look for handguns for my daughter. She has very small hands but wants something with stopping power. Recommendations?

CenTexDave
April 26th, 2017, 8:35 PM
Glock 27 - small .40 cal.

ithoughtso
April 26th, 2017, 8:46 PM
Shield 9mm

Dagobert II
April 26th, 2017, 9:47 PM
The Gun
<font size="4"><strong>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q83G2lBVK-c
The Ammunition (for social work)
<font size="4"><strong>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGx9kWN8ruk

Rick
April 26th, 2017, 9:49 PM
Sig Sauer P938 https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p938/

Expensive, but a nice pistol. My wife has one.

If you want to bring her out to try it, let me know.

Shotgun Jeremy
April 26th, 2017, 10:26 PM
I've got a P938 for deep concealment and my wife has a Shield. I can stop by with both if you'd like. You'll be hard pressed to find someone with legitimate issues against either one.

I've also got the Hornady Criticle Defense rounds but can go over several options if y'all would like.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

CenTexDave
April 26th, 2017, 11:22 PM
People wondering why Owl is looking for a handgun?
Check his post #58 on the T-mobile robbery in the Killeen topics. Incredible.

mac
April 27th, 2017, 12:23 AM
I haven't look for handguns for my daughter. She has very small hands but wants something with stopping power. Recommendations?a

the new rugers, owl. they even come in .380.....very little recoil, very little...it's a sweet little gun and if she wants to trade it in later for the same model in a 9mm, she won't have any problem.......mac

mac
April 27th, 2017, 12:26 AM
People wondering why Owl is looking for a handgun?
Check his post #58 on the T-mobile robbery in the Killeen topics. Incredible.

don't think there is a #58......mac

CenTexDave
April 27th, 2017, 12:33 AM
Right you are, Senor Mac. Sorry - # 52.

mac
April 27th, 2017, 12:37 AM
Right you are, Senor Mac. Sorry - # 52.

why the hell aren't you in bed?

Rick
April 27th, 2017, 7:27 AM
For simplicity, I recommend one of these.
I didn't like the silicone handgrips, so I ordered these from S&W.

My wife prefers this one.
They are cheaper at the PX than what S&W is listing.

Shotgun Jeremy
April 27th, 2017, 7:30 AM
Those are nice. I've been thinking about picking one up for myself.

kantwin
April 27th, 2017, 7:48 AM
I was going to suggest a revolver.
The Ruger LCR 38 Special is good.

fchafey
April 27th, 2017, 8:07 AM
We have that one and its sister. I like the 380 as it is flat and you cant see it when it is in the front pocket of a pair of shorts. The revolver is a bit more conspicuous but they are nice little guns.

Rick
April 27th, 2017, 8:12 AM
And I strongly urge her to take a handgun class. I have heard good things about http://www.mountaincreekrange.com/. She should check them out. I heard they offer classes just for women.

kantwin
April 27th, 2017, 8:24 AM
We have that one and its sister. I like the 380 as it is flat and you cant see it when it is in the front pocket of a pair of shorts. The revolver is a bit more conspicuous but they are nice little guns.
I was thinking about the LCP 380, but I found the slide a bit hard for my wife to pull back. So, we went with the LCR.

Rick
April 27th, 2017, 8:42 AM
That's why we went with the Sig. She had carpal tunnel surgery that wasn't very successful. Of all the 9MM's at the PX that day, that was the only one she could pull back.

Johnny Frederick
April 27th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Revolver for a first timer. Very safe, don't have to remember a safety, single or double action, no slide to manipulate, easy to clear.

Taurus 85 .38sp +P or .357

Ruger LCR .38sp +P or .357

Taurus has a lifetime warranty

Johnny

CenTexDave
April 27th, 2017, 1:40 PM
Owl - I assume she wants this for home defense. I don;t know their living arrangements, etc, or if there are kids in the house.
But you may want to consider that a round could go right through sheet rock and hit someone in a room over.
So a lesser caliber may be better. That, or a sawed off .20 gauge pump. :)

sojourner truth
April 27th, 2017, 2:43 PM
We went through this with a teacher friend of my wifes who was broken into and looking for a handgun for home protection.

I told her to come by and look at one of mine and see which one felt best to her, and if she like one I would give it to her. All were sliders, and I found out that many women have a problem with chambering a round due to the pull weight on the slide.

Now, I don't like revolvers myself, as they are more prone for an amateur to have an accident with, but for a woman who needs something that is as simple as point and click, a revolver is the answer. But if you have kids in the house, you have to be very careful about where you put it and where your kids are.

One thing she could cock was my 45.... but when I described the recoil, that ended that subject... For my wife, I have a SW MP 15-22. She knows how to work an M16, and even though this is only 22 LR, it does carry a 30 round mag... And even that would stop or run off most intruders. Plus, you have to feel comfortable with the weapon or it will be your last resort instead of your first.

Night Owl
April 27th, 2017, 3:21 PM
And I strongly urge her to take a handgun class. I have heard good things about http://www.mountaincreekrange.com/. She should check them out. I heard they offer classes just for women.
She is going to take classes or her new handgun will be in my safe.

Night Owl
April 27th, 2017, 3:26 PM
Owl - I assume she wants this for home defense. I don;t know their living arrangements, etc, or if there are kids in the house.
But you may want to consider that a round could go right through sheet rock and hit someone in a room over.
She has one daughter who is 17. They have my 12 gauge, one of them, now.

mac
April 27th, 2017, 4:32 PM

whoa up there a minit, wyatt. a sawed off 20 gauge.....a sawed off anything will get you a quick, all expenses paid trip, to booking.....regardless of circumstances. or in the case of randy weaver's wife, it'll get you a bullet through the head.......mac

CenTexDave
April 27th, 2017, 4:40 PM
Mac - wouldn't you rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6?

mac
April 27th, 2017, 4:43 PM
Mac - wouldn't you rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6?

yep but.....i'd rather not have to worry 'bout either one of 'em. this ole coon's been down that road already a long long time ago.....mac

sojourner truth
April 27th, 2017, 8:06 PM
Nice to have a gun, but inside a safe doesn't work so well... Can't just say "Hold up a sec while I get my cannon".....

I always keep mine with a clip in it (all 4 of them) and within arms reach of my bed or easy chair.

And ,yes, my wife used to be uncomfortable with that until I explained the facts of what happens during a home invasion... And, I am not irresponsible either. Whenever we have company over, they all get stowed way far away from everyone and unloaded.... Well,,, Except one in the living room where I can get to it quickly but kids can't.

Dagobert II
April 29th, 2017, 6:58 PM
whoa up there a minit, wyatt. a sawed off 20 gauge.....a sawed off anything will get you a quick, all expenses paid trip, to booking.....regardless of circumstances. or in the case of randy weaver's wife, it'll get you a bullet through the head.......mac

Modern technology has alleviated the need to saw anything off. How's a 10" barrel with a brace that BATFE says can be "sporadically" shouldered with spring assisted pump action sound, all with no NFA tax?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP5KbWOe64g&amp;t

Rick
April 30th, 2017, 6:17 AM
Hey Night Owl, what did she end up buying?

And did they charge the trespassing criminal with anything?

sojourner truth
April 30th, 2017, 1:52 PM
That little revolver that Rick has would make a fine home protection sidearm...

I am still trying to convince my Mrs. on getting one of those... and a Henry Big Boy in 44mag.

fchafey
April 30th, 2017, 3:34 PM
I just got a Desert Eagle, that thing is awesome. I am working on a mount for it to put on a little red wagon so I can call in Artillery as I practice my home defense plan. :)

Night Owl
April 30th, 2017, 4:15 PM
She hasn't yet. She's going to a range and fire range guns before she decides.

Rick
April 30th, 2017, 7:48 PM

I am still trying to convince my Mrs. on getting one of those... and a Henry Big Boy in 44mag.

I have a Henry Big Boy 44 mag too. A lot of fun to shoot.

Ludwig
April 30th, 2017, 9:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC9GaZZVvNc

Mestral
May 1st, 2017, 10:09 AM
Revolver for a first timer. Very safe, don't have to remember a safety, single or double action, no slide to manipulate, easy to clear.
Taurus 85 .38sp +P or .357
Ruger LCR .38sp +P or .357
Taurus has a lifetime warranty

Johnny
I concur. For simplicity, and no need to worry about pulling back the slide.
I notice most of the nominations are for a concealed carry gun, and don't
recall Night Owl mentioning "concealing it"

If she doesn't need a smaller gun for concealment, I would go with
a compact 357 with a 4 inch barrel and exposed hammer. There are
many that are as reliable as gravity.

In the 38+P round, there are several defense rounds that are quite sufficient
man stoppers, but even in 40S&W there are none that guarantee a one shot
stop. I don't think I would recommend a .380 or smaller, however. And any
round that will be even remotely effective against a man will go through
a wall like it was paper. If that is a serious consideration, you really need to
go with "frangible" ammo, which is a bit less effective against a man, but
has far less tendency to penetrate walls.

mac
May 1st, 2017, 10:38 AM

for my purposes I much prefer the 45:70 over the .44 mag. anything that .44 mag 200g will do, my 45:70 will do it with a hell of a lot more authority with 405g. but in any case, I would also recommend you go with the rifle and leave that carbine in the store....

mac
May 1st, 2017, 10:46 AM
I concur. For simplicity, and no need to worry about pulling back the slide.
I notice most of the nominations are for a concealed carry gun, and don't
recall Night Owl mentioning "concealing it"

If she doesn't need a smaller gun for concealment, I would go with
a compact 357 with a 4 inch barrel and exposed hammer. There are
many that are as reliable as gravity.

stop. I don't think I would recommend a .380 or smaller, however. And any
round that will be even remotely effective against a man will go through
a wall like it was paper. If that is a serious consideration, you really need to
go with "frangible" ammo, which is a bit less effective against a man, but
has far less tendency to penetrate walls.

totally agree with the revolver over the SA.

disagree about the caliber......for my home i use .38 spec ammo in 2 wheel guns......what may be even worse in your mind is that my first two shots are rat shot shells, refilled with #8s. When I pop a guy in the house or yard I don't really want him cashing in right then and there. I'd much rather he go off for a couple of hours and bleed out or get to an ER.....but I just don't want no dead bodies in the house.....basically, I'm more interested in changing the perp's mind than I am in iceing him......mac

Mestral
May 1st, 2017, 11:05 AM

stop. ...

totally agree with the revolver over the SA.

disagree about the caliber......for my home i use .38 spec ammo in 2 wheel guns......what may be even worse in your mind is that my first two shots are rat shot shells, refilled with #8s. When I pop a guy in the house or yard I don't really want him cashing in right then and there. I'd much rather he go off for a couple of hours and bleed out or get to an ER.....but I just don't want no dead bodies in the house.....basically, I'm more interested in changing the perp's mind than I am in iceing him......macOK I can see that I was not clear.
I wouldn't use 357 ammo, but would have the 357 wheel gun.
Then use 38+P ammo in it. The slightly beefier frame is what
I was after in the choice of weapons. Plus the ability to switch
up to the more potent round, should the day come when
it becomes warranted.

I use a fairly aggressive jacketed hollow point round,
not because I intend to kill him (although that isn't
likely). Killing or not killing him is kinda beside the
point. I want him to stop what he is doing. NOW!

CenTexDave
May 1st, 2017, 12:44 PM
If your front door is kicked in by 3-4 thugs you'll wish you had that sawed off shotgun. Won't go through the sheet rock and endanger others in an adjacent room but will definitely spray the perps.
Double barrel shotgun works best. If the first round doesn't take them all out you still have instant backup. :)

sickofpc
May 1st, 2017, 2:10 PM
Dave, I agree...that is why I have a shotgun handy (not sawed off or double barreled, however). ..I never even thought about having to use a gun to protect my home, really, until I was burglarized twice, after I first moved to Killeen, by four of our finest human beings...They were caught, thanks to their stupidity, after the second time, but of course, given probation. I now have a very protective large dog.. and a close, ready gun...I also live in a much nicer, safer neighborhood.

CenTexDave
May 1st, 2017, 2:28 PM
Probation!!?? Of course. Wonder how many homes they've burglarized since.
A dog is a good companion, especially if they are protective. Of course if the thugs kick the door in and start shooting then
old Fido might be dead meat. But at least they can warn you.

sickofpc
May 1st, 2017, 2:41 PM
I had a very protective German Shepherd at the time. Everyone in the neighborhood knew about him,..and knew when he died. Two weeks after he died, I was burglarized the first time, two weeks after that, they hit me the second time..both times during the day while I was at work..kicked the front door in....Most burglars are scared of a barking dog, especially if it sounds big and mean. I would have bet that my shepherd would have gotten one of them before they could have gotten him. There is no doubt that he would have died protecting me, my family, and my home. Even if someone was just in our yard or walking down the sidewalk, he always let me know.

Night Owl
May 1st, 2017, 2:50 PM
Update. She bought a Glock 26. She tried several and this is the one she liked best. Thanks for all your input. She and I appreciate all your help.

CenTexDave
May 1st, 2017, 5:16 PM
Good choice.

Dagobert II
May 1st, 2017, 9:20 PM
Update. She bought a Glock 26. She tried several and this is the one she liked best. Thanks for all your input. She and I appreciate all your help. She'll appreciate the opportunities available to "accessorize" a Glock though its perfectly good in stock configuration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5daUortNVcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFUUTeulCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVy-GhK36Y

Ludwig
May 2nd, 2017, 12:11 AM
I just noticed that the person who named this thread, if a male, may be guilty of sexual harassment. :))

Night Owl
May 2nd, 2017, 12:44 AM
nope, just a fact.:)

Mestral
May 2nd, 2017, 3:08 AM
Glock 26 is an excellent choice.
I foresee some father/daughter range time :-)
Be sure to buy up lots of practice ammo!
(safe bet that I am preaching to the choir again :))