PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With Parents?

FieryPrincess
April 16th, 2017, 8:47 PM
I just spotted an article today about a 5YO who was killed at a rotating restaurant because his head got caught in the mechanism.

This is so horrific, I don't want to apply too much thought into picturing it, but I was reminded of a recent lunch with a friend who had her 3YO in tow. The three was old played under the table and wasn't really reprimanded for anything. How can kids learn to behave if we don't hold them to our standards and expectations?

Barring special needs, a 5YO ought to know how to sit at the table with family. I feel this ought to be even more true when considering how fancy those rotating restaurants are (think like the Tower of the Americas in San Antonio)

I can't figure out if it is because parents are afraid to parent out loud in this day and age for fear of being executed in the court of public opinion via social media, if they don't parent, or if they don't know how to parent anymore.

I didn't start this post intending to bash the parents of the child who just died, but I am curious on a larger scale what is going on? In this day and age, I am considered pretty tough. I'm the mean parent that went and took all the balls away at the Easter breakfast this morning to get them back on their youth-served-Easter-breakfast this morning. I felt like other parents were afraid to go in and tell other parents' kids what to do (as a teacher, I have never suffered from this feeling).

Dagobert II
April 16th, 2017, 9:15 PM
I'm wondering what sort of safety standards apply to spinning restaurants to insure they don't process customers. Of course I don't know that this is a common occurrence either.

Rick
April 16th, 2017, 9:59 PM
I'm guessing that the rotating restaurant's view was awe inspiring and the child may have been standing on the seat and fell in between the moving part and the stationary part.

But having never been in one of those rotating restaurants, I'm just guessing.

Rick
April 16th, 2017, 10:06 PM
I just read a report and it says he got stuck between two tables.

Shotgun Jeremy
April 17th, 2017, 5:53 AM
Are the tables bolted down?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

ithoughtso
April 17th, 2017, 7:28 AM
There're aren't any more "parents" , just people that breed.

CenTexDave
April 17th, 2017, 7:53 AM
"I can't figure out if it is because parents are afraid to parent out loud in this day and age for fear of being executed in the court of public opinion via social media, if they don't parent, or if they don't know how to parent anymore."

I think it started a couple of generations ago with the fear of being executed if they did apply discipline. Spare the rod and spoil the child. Thanks, Dr. Spock.
This, in turn, has caused that generation of spoiled brats to figure that's how it should be. Thus we have today's generation of entitled brats.
They don't know how to parent because they never saw how it was supposed to be when they were growing up.
I'm not saying you have to whip a kid with a belt (although a couple of good spankings always seems to do some good), but immediate discipline in some form is needed.

Ludwig
April 17th, 2017, 8:50 AM
When disciplining my daughters (after they reach age 4) for major infractions I first ensured that my anger had cooled, spanked with an open hand on the butt, allowed them to cry, and then gave them a hug and let them know I still loved them. For minor infractions, they got to spend some time with their noses in a corner to contemplate their inappropriate behavior while they were young and loss of privileges, such as an allowance, access to TV, access to family car etc., when they got older. Often, behavior changed quickly just by their seeing my angry visage. Over 50 years later, that still works. I also took great pains to explain the inappropriate behavior and why it was inappropriate after things cooled down.

For the most part they too model that behavior in raising their children... their husbands on the other hand....

Rick
April 17th, 2017, 11:05 AM
I once made both my kids stand in the corner of McCoy's hardware store when they wouldn't stop acting up. They didn't like it one bit. Now that they are adults, they still laugh about it today. :))

sojourner truth
April 17th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Face it... Today kids are just spoiled rotten for the most part.

I watched my sister raise her 9 kids using little or no guidance and almost all of them turned out plain old rotten. My sister was the first one raised by my mom after my parents got divorced, and I always despaired of how little discipline they got from mom as a single parent. She always tended to rely on my dad for discipline. When he was out of the picture, there was none. Thankfully I was then just going into the army and there was no lack of discipline there.

Then, because of the way my sister was raised, her children were raised about the same way. And now their children are even worse than the 2 previous generations. It gets worse every generation. And there are almost no men involved with any of these relationships except at the time of conception.

The problem boils down to the same on that plagues American throughout its very fiber... Lack of responsibility for anything. Everyone wants to be there when the fun is happening but nobody wants to pick up the tab. Too much hassle.

FieryPrincess
April 17th, 2017, 4:37 PM
Just got back from the grocery store and stood staring in shock at three kids with no adult in sight - at least not one that seemed repsonsible for them.

The littlest one had crawled up on the shelf in front of the donuts and was handling them randomly.

Sigh...

I guess at least her head wasn't stuck in something.

CenTexDave
April 17th, 2017, 5:05 PM
You mean you didn't buy the little darlings a cream filled pastry or two?
Then follow it up with something real sugary and loaded with caffeine like a Mountain Dew.
I'm sure the kids' mother would very much appreciate it. :)

mac
April 17th, 2017, 6:33 PM
When disciplining my daughters (after they reach age 4) for major infractions I first ensured that my anger had cooled, spanked with an open hand on the butt, allowed them to cry, and then gave them a hug and let them know I still loved them. For minor infractions, they got to spend some time with their noses in a corner to contemplate their inappropriate behavior while they were young and loss of privileges, such as an allowance, access to TV, access to family car etc., when they got older. Often, behavior changed quickly just by their seeing my angry visage. Over 50 years later, that still works. I also took great pains to explain the inappropriate behavior and why it was inappropriate after things cooled down.

For the most part they too model that behavior in raising their children... their husbands on the other hand....

can't help but chuckle. these Sons in Law are real pains, aren't they?......mac

mac
April 17th, 2017, 6:37 PM
I'm guessing that the rotating restaurant's view was awe inspiring and the child may have been standing on the seat and fell in between the moving part and the stationary part.

But having never been in one of those rotating restaurants, I'm just guessing.

it would seem to me that if that's the case, it would've already gotten somebody's foot or knee.....or elbow maybe......mac

fchafey
November 29th, 2018, 12:38 PM
I figured this belonged here as it takes a real special parent to name their kid "Abcde".....what a moron.

From KHOU in Houston:

Mom: Southwest Airlines agent mocked 5-year-old girl's 'Abcde' name
Traci Redford accused a gate agent at Orange County's John Wayne Airport of laughing at her daughter's name, Abcde.

SANTA ANA, Calif. — A woman says a Southwest Airlines agent in Southern California mocked her 5-year-old daughter's 'Abcde' name when they were preparing to board a flight home to Texas.
KABC-TV reported late Wednesday that Traci Redford accused a gate agent at Orange County's John Wayne Airport of laughing at her daughter's name and posting a photo of her boarding pass on social media. The girl's name is spelled with the first five letters of the alphabet and is pronounced "AHB-sih-dee." Redford says the family was pre-boarding because her daughter has epilepsy. She says she asked the agent to stop and that someone saw the social media post and notified Southwest.
Southwest issued a statement apologizing to the family. The airline says it has followed up with the employee.

Night Owl
November 29th, 2018, 2:01 PM
What is going on with today's parents? Why does a child have to be entertained 24/7? What ever happened with a child sitting in a restaurant quietly, without having to have a video being played to keep them silent. Oh wait I know the answer, parents not being parents. When I was a kid my Dad would have knocked me away from the table if I acted up, but society doesn't allow that anymore. Today kids don't understand the word NO.

sojourner truth
November 29th, 2018, 3:15 PM
My wife and I have this uncanny knack for drawing the kids who scream and yell throughout a meal. We can be sitting all alone in a corner and as soon as we order, here they come right next to us.

The number one product of Killeen Texas is babies.. My wife calls them stepladder kids... You know, one every 9 months so they look like miniature clones of each successive generation.

It has gotten to the point where we do not readily go to dine out any more. The worst places for us are Rosas, and Cracker Barrel. Wal mart is a given for bad behavior. Especially at the checkout where they conveniently place all of the candy bars and small toys. It usually starts out as simple fussing, and then you hear "No...No" coming from the kid, then escalates into concentrated fussing and crying, soon to be followed by uncontrolled screaming. How the parent (there are seldom 2 of them with the kids) just sits there like they are in a soundproof booth.

We were pleasantly surprised when we saw a dad take his baby outside when she started into phase one last week. Doesn't happen very often.

As far as names... Who can tell any more. Like trying to figure out names in an NFL game. My wife always gets a kick whenever she hears Newt Gingrichs name and says "Who the heck names their kid Newt". Why, Mr. and Mrs. Gingrich I guess.:))

fchafey
November 29th, 2018, 4:43 PM
My wife and I have this uncanny knack for drawing the kids who scream and yell throughout a meal. We can be sitting all alone in a corner and as soon as we order, here they come right next to us.

The number one product of Killeen Texas is babies.. My wife calls them stepladder kids... You know, one every 9 months so they look like miniature clones of each successive generation.

It has gotten to the point where we do not readily go to dine out any more. The worst places for us are Rosas, and Cracker Barrel. Wal mart is a given for bad behavior. Especially at the checkout where they conveniently place all of the candy bars and small toys. It usually starts out as simple fussing, and then you hear "No...No" coming from the kid, then escalates into concentrated fussing and crying, soon to be followed by uncontrolled screaming. How the parent (there are seldom 2 of them with the kids) just sits there like they are in a soundproof booth.

We were pleasantly surprised when we saw a dad take his baby outside when she started into phase one last week. Doesn't happen very often.

As far as names... Who can tell any more. Like trying to figure out names in an NFL game. My wife always gets a kick whenever she hears Newt Gingrichs name and says "Who the heck names their kid Newt". Why, Mr. and Mrs. Gingrich I guess.:))

You know his full name is Newton Leroy Gingrich.....and after having heard that, well, never mind…..

Mestral
November 30th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Just got back from the grocery store and stood staring in shock at three kids with no adult in sight - at least not one that seemed repsonsible for them.
The littlest one had crawled up on the shelf in front of the donuts and was handling them randomly.
Sigh...
I guess at least her head wasn't stuck in something.
The woman who wrote the "Violent Acres" blog wrote a couple articles about such parenting. Unfortunately, someone Dox'ed her and she was harassed until she deleted those posts. She was offended that people would allow their children to run wild in stores, effectively raising them to be feral.

I am thankful that my parents didn't take the easy way out with me. I was quite demonic (much like the Demoncrats we see today) as a child, and they literally had to beat the devil out of me. It was a hard row. Had I been born in modern times, I would have been institutionalized.

As to questions raised in the original post:
Most rotating restaurants have an outer ring of tables that don't move, and a "turntable" in the middle that rotates about once in five minutes. Most of the tables are on that "turntable." There is usually a moving railing encircling the turntable, to prevent anyone getting trapped between the moving and stationary tables. I would not be surprised if some genius took the railing out so they could have a few more tables, thus more profit.

Mestral
November 30th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I figured this belonged here as it takes a real special parent to name their kid "Abcde".....what a moron.

From KHOU in Houston:

Mom: Southwest Airlines agent mocked 5-year-old girl's 'Abcde' name
Traci Redford accused a gate agent at Orange County's John Wayne Airport of laughing at her daughter's name, Abcde.

SANTA ANA, Calif. — A woman says a Southwest Airlines agent in Southern California mocked her 5-year-old daughter's 'Abcde' name when they were preparing to board a flight home to Texas.
KABC-TV reported late Wednesday that Traci Redford accused a gate agent at Orange County's John Wayne Airport of laughing at her daughter's name and posting a photo of her boarding pass on social media. The girl's name is spelled with the first five letters of the alphabet and is pronounced "AHB-sih-dee." Redford says the family was pre-boarding because her daughter has epilepsy. She says she asked the agent to stop and that someone saw the social media post and notified Southwest.
Southwest issued a statement apologizing to the family. The airline says it has followed up with the employee.
Making fun of the little girl's name, after she was boarded and gone would have been forgivable, but doing it in front of her was offensive and rude. Posting a picture of the boarding pass to social media should have been a firing offence. But then, we are talking about SW airlines, where the seat measurements are based on a NY Runway model's build.

As to the woman, if she did it so that the girl could learn her own name (if she had a learning disability) could be forgivable, but epilepsy? Sometimes that produces a learning disability, sometimes not, so I don't know.

I wouldn't have named her that, but I have done other things just as stupid.

sojourner truth
November 30th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Most kids today don't have parents... They have grandparents.

This is an alarming trend that I have noticed happening in the last 20 years or so. And it boils down a lot of times to kids who want to fornicate but not deal with the consequences. That and free daycare. My daughter, wisely, decided that there was an alternative... Have sex and not kids. There are ways.

She tells me that sex is the greatest thing in the world... when performed by a man and his lawfully wedded wife. I know... Luddite thinking. Although it has prevented a lot of problems in her life. The only downside is that we do not have grandkids... Or is that a real problem? She told me that kids are expensive, and would take a lot of time and effort that she would rather use to other ends.

Ludwig
November 30th, 2018, 7:35 PM
... kids are expensive and would take a lot of time and effort that she would rather use to other ends.
Yes, we are becoming a nation of self-seeking narcissists. There is nothing for which we will sacrifice. Abortion, along with cheap and readily available contraception, makes the world safe for fornication. Those who have no objection to fornication, are likely not to feel a passionate objection to abortion.

sojourner truth
December 1st, 2018, 10:15 AM
Well, I am not much a fan of contraception since there are other means of preventing children. And I am definitely not for abortion. To me that is usually (usually) a method of post coital birth prevention.

What I am for is people who know they do not want to bear children and take the appropriate pre sexual precautions to make sure that does not face them. And I am grateful for all of those who decide having a child is well worth the effort.

The downside for me is not having a grandchild to spoil rotten... But then maybe that is a good thing as well.

gnatsum
December 5th, 2018, 5:47 PM
Why not use the 'traditional' method of child naming that some Native American tribes use to this day--name the baby after something in sight, just after the child's birth, like 'Running Deer' or 'Speckled Horse'.
One Dallas radio disc jocket once joked years ago, that if HE had an "Indian name", it would've been "Pees on Side of House"... (that one got him in trouble with station management...)
Then there's the joke about Native Americans with names like "Fornicating Dog" and "Rusty Oldsmobile"...or "Broken Beer Bottle".

sojourner truth
December 5th, 2018, 10:12 PM
Or "Dances with fat women". My favorite was "Runs with scissors"...

Or the old rumor about tribes being named by the chief after roaming to find a new land to call their own... It's how the Fugawe tribe got their name after the chief stumbled out of his Teepee and said "Where the Fugawe"...:)

txswimmer
December 6th, 2018, 3:09 PM
Parents who give their kids weird names are just making criminals out of the, like "Va Gina" (pronounced "Vah - Zhinay"). I kid you not. Or the twins Orangejello and Lemonjello (pronounced "Or-ON-je-lo and Le-MON-je - lo). I have a full list of the weird names somewhere. Like "Nylondraleishanette" - yes - she was in the system so often I memorized the spelling, and taught each new prosecutor and judge the spelling and pronunciation. Imagine - you are condemning your child to ridicule forever.

gnatsum
December 6th, 2018, 4:08 PM
Am reminded of the classic 'Key & Peele' bit about the 'East/West Collegiate Bowl' player intros...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

Discovered today they did a second one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1nGjGM2p8

And a THIRD, which is the 'East /West Pro Bowl'...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDp-ABzpRX8

just2cents
December 6th, 2018, 5:28 PM
Parents who give their kids weird names are just making criminals out of the, like "Va Gina" (pronounced "Vah - Zhinay"). I kid you not. Or the twins Orangejello and Lemonjello (pronounced "Or-ON-je-lo and Le-MON-je - lo). I have a full list of the weird names somewhere. Like "Nylondraleishanette" - yes - she was in the system so often I memorized the spelling, and taught each new prosecutor and judge the spelling and pronunciation. Imagine - you are condemning your child to ridicule forever.
Three suspects are in custody and one has been charged in connection to the fatal shooting Monday of 21-year-old Marquis Demps in the 400 block of Root Avenue, according to Killeen police.
On Thursday, 31-year-old Talitha Marie Anne Collins was arraigned by Justice of the Peace Bill Cooke on a murder charge. Late Thursday afternoon, police took Justice Brue-Miller, 21, and Derek Spragins, 28, into custody in connection to the shooting, police said.

sojourner truth
December 6th, 2018, 7:54 PM

That stinks....

Mestral
December 7th, 2018, 5:27 AM
I used to have advice for expecting parents (until I learned most people are unteachable). Get a list of the 100 most popular names (easily found in little booklets), discard the top ten names, and choose a name from the next twenty, in the proper gender. Say it about 50 times in various contexts to make sure it isn't a land mine (like Rob Banks).

sojourner truth
December 7th, 2018, 11:56 AM
yeah... My last name is Moore, and I am very glad my parents did not name me Lon.:)

fchafey
December 7th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Three suspects are in custody and one has been charged in connection to the fatal shooting Monday of 21-year-old Marquis Demps in the 400 block of Root Avenue, according to Killeen police.
On Thursday, 31-year-old Talitha Marie Anne Collins was arraigned by Justice of the Peace Bill Cooke on a murder charge. Late Thursday afternoon, police took Justice Brue-Miller, 21, and Derek Spragins, 28, into custody in connection to the shooting, police said.

You missed a few of Millier's names. This genius is actually named Justice Dinell Jamar Brue-Miller. Good grief...e-I-e-I-o.....

sojourner truth
December 7th, 2018, 1:53 PM
You missed a few of Millier's names. This genius is actually named Justice Dinell Jamar Brue-Miller. Good grief...e-I-e-I-o.....

Ah... Another troublesome Irishman I see.

mac
December 7th, 2018, 2:04 PM

and my mother and g'mothers always told me that Darwin was a 'full o beans' and ignorant atheist!.....mac

gnatsum
December 7th, 2018, 3:12 PM
yeah... My last name is Moore, and I am very glad my parents did not name me Lon.:)

Or Lester.

Joke about a tombstone that reads:
'Here Lies Les Moore
No Les, no more'

sojourner truth
December 7th, 2018, 5:13 PM
Or Lester.

Joke about a tombstone that reads:
'Here Lies Les Moore
No Les, no more'

Funny, but close to home... My Uncles name is Lester.

But at least no record of a "Noe" in the family line.

kantwin
December 7th, 2018, 6:44 PM
Army Aviators have name badges with their first and last name.
I honestly saw one with the name Mike Hunt.

Mestral
December 8th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Army Aviators have name badges with their first and last name.
I honestly saw one with the name Mike Hunt.
I had a co-worker with that name.
He had a great sense of humor about it.
And the job involved a lot of handling wood.

The guys at the HQ were probably beside themselves, while listening in our radio conversations.
(Which is OK, we didn't like them anyway.)

sojourner truth
December 8th, 2018, 4:06 PM
Used to pull this joke at the Ft; Sill bowling alley where we would go to the info center and ask them to page our friend "Venerio" who was supposed to meet us there. The guy gave us a weird look and asked if that was his real name. We looked back just as serious as a fart in a spacesuit and said "Yeah, sure".

When he paged the guy, one of us out in the area would stroll up to the counter and announce "I am Mr. Disease... did someone page me?":))