PDA

View Full Version : Bury his Bones

Scarlett
June 21st, 2009, 7:49 PM
Why does Oscar act like dogs in movies and bury every treat I give him? I just again brought home two dog bone treats. Rocky ran to the back of the couch with his and started tearing into it. Oscar did what he always does, took his and stood by the door staring at me. I opened the door and watched him go out back, look around and then proceed to bury it. Will he go back and eat it later?

VooDooBaby
June 21st, 2009, 7:55 PM
Atleast he buries his outside. My dogs used to bury theirs in my bed pillows, my blankets... in the clean clothes basket... in my shoes... one dog would alwyas have a raw nose from trying to bury the bone on the carpet. :doh

stormy
June 22nd, 2009, 6:07 PM
Our Tank does the same thing. Buries the bone, and then after it's good and nasty (usually at least 4-6 months) he might dig it up and start chewing on it. I've seen him even re-bury (is that a word??) them in a different spot after he's dug one up. Then there are some bones he just chews on and doesn't bury at all. Weird. Crazy dogs!

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 22nd, 2009, 6:17 PM
Different dogs exhibit different behaviors that relate back to their pack mentality. Though I have never really studied this question, I suppose it has something to do with protection of food. Very good question Scarlett. Can I phone a friend? Or ask the audience? How 'bout 50/50?

Scarlett
June 22nd, 2009, 6:44 PM
Do I get a prize? I think this is the first question I have seen on here that the doc didn't KNOW the answer to! Woohoo! I feel, umm....I feel VICTORIOUS!

engteach64
June 22nd, 2009, 7:01 PM
Flash eats his bones as soon as he gets them. Haley would rather roll all over hers and mark it. She then leaves it behind and gets mad at Flash when he tries to eat it. Sometimes Haley will let Flash chew his up real good, then she will leave hers for him and take his. She likes them already softened up for her. I've started buying the little dentabone ones with red trim, and she eats those right up.

CenTexDave
June 22nd, 2009, 7:05 PM
Different strokes for different hounds.