PDA

View Full Version : Snake bite vaccine

Night Owl
June 18th, 2009, 4:16 PM
Doc
Is there such a thing as snake bite (rattlesnake) vaccine for dogs?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 18th, 2009, 4:48 PM
Yes sir, there is a rattlesnake vaccine approved for use in dogs. It has been available for about 3 or 4 years. The product is safe but the efficacy has not been determined (except for anecdotal reports that are interesting but not scientific) due to not being able to perform a real challenge study. In other words, the company did not vaccinate dogs then subject them to real snake bites in order to determine efficacy.

Some of the reports state that the effects of a bite are much less severe if the dog has received the vaccine but it is difficult to determine how much venom was injected and would the bite have been less severe anyway.

I do vaccinate some dogs with this vaccine after careful discussion with the owner so that they understand that vaccination is not a replacement for treatment should the dog be bitten. I also evaluate the dog's risk factors like lifestyle, where housed, etc.

All in all, I have seen no side effects from the vaccine but have yet to have to treat a dog that has been vaccinated and has been bitten.

Night Owl
June 19th, 2009, 8:11 AM
WOW, I am surprised. I thought the guy telling me this was pulling my leg.