PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Activist wants Cleveland's Mascot Banned

Rick
October 17th, 2016, 9:53 AM
I say they sweep Chief Wahoo out of Canada after tomorrow night's game. If they rule against the Indians, they should wear Cav's jerseys...haha

Reports: Activist seeks to ban usage of Chief Wahoo, Cleveland Indians name in Toronto during ALCS (http://www.newsnet5.com/sports/baseball/indians/reports-activist-seeks-to-ban-usage-of-cleveland-indians-name-and-logo-in-toronto-during-alcs)

An indigenous activist and architect is seeking a court ruling that would ban the Cleveland Indians from wearing their jerseys, using their name and displaying Chief Wahoo while they play the Toronto Blue Jays this week during the American League Championship Series, according to the Globe and Mail.

Douglas Cardinal is an officer of the Order of Canada and said that the Chief Wahoo logo is offensive and discriminatory.

Cardinal filed applications to the Ontario Superior Court, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario and the Canadian Human Rights Commission. A hearing will be held Monday on the application of the superior court.

Read the full story at the Globe and Mail .

Indians fans are pushing back.

"Unbelievable," said Nina Ross, a Cleveland resident. "We're not standing for that."

"It's a long history of using that symbol, and everybody loves it," said Zachary Marich, a Cleveland resident.

"I don't think it's meant to be derogatory," said Brandon Hicks, a Cleveland resident.

But Cardinal isn't alone in his fight. The United Church of Christ and the United Church of Canada launched a similar campaign Friday, which includes the hashtag #notmymascot. They're asking other ministries to join in.

Indians officials told News 5 they have no comment on the matter. News 5 also reached out to Cardinal but did not receive a response.

Copyright 2016 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

fchafey
October 17th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Anything to get 15 seconds of fame. Heard this on the news, and they followed up with the fact Canada is still upset after last years hockey playoffs. As 2015 was the first year in quite along time there was no Canadian team in them. Hope Cleveland sweeps them.

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Canada has truly turned into a liberal POS country.
Better yet - MLB tells Toronto to blow it out their butts and move the Jays to an American city. Canada couldn't hold onto the Montreal Expos. Hell with'em.
I suppose if it was the Blue Jays against the Atlanta Braves in the WS this moron would try to the same tactic. Wonder why no protests against hockey's Chicago Black Hawks.

sojourner truth
October 17th, 2016, 6:29 PM
Well, I am a naturalist and an eco freak so I protest the shameless promotion of the poor helpless Maple leaf in all Canadian logos. And how about that poor loon on their coins?

Rick
October 17th, 2016, 7:05 PM
A judge dismissed the request. The Chief stays.

The morons actually said that they should use the spring training uniforms.

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 7:42 PM
Tribe has 1-0 lead after 1. Bauer didn't even last one inning before his finger opened and blood was dripping. At least he struck out Blowhard Bautista before he had to leave. Think this means we'll see Kluber pitch tomorrow

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 7:43 PM
A judge dismissed the request. The Chief stays.

The morons actually said that they should use the spring training uniforms.

They were even talking about having it blacked out in and around Ontario. Freaking libs are morons.

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 8:24 PM
2-1 Tribe. Mike Napoli broke out of his slump big time - run scoring double and a huge blast into center field's upper deck!

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 8:34 PM
2-need about 4 more runs. Tribe's relievers are doing good.

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 9:11 PM
4-2 Indians bottom of 6th

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 9:22 PM
4-2 Indians thru 6

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 9:54 PM
4-2 Tribe after 7. It's gonna be Miller time soon.

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 10:12 PM
Going to the 9th. Tribe 4-2 :)

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Top of the 9tg. Miller Time!!

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Tribe takes it. 3-0 lead!!!:)

Rick
October 17th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Defense was awesome tonight.

mac
October 17th, 2016, 11:31 PM
great game.....didn't like it but a damned good game. Cleveland appears to be ready.....mac

CenTexDave
October 18th, 2016, 7:00 AM
Oh, so you're a Jays' fan? :))

Rick
October 18th, 2016, 7:14 AM
Maybe Chief Wahoo offends him! http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=6436&stc=1

fchafey
October 18th, 2016, 8:34 AM
He probably doesn't like Bugs Bunny either.

CenTexDave
October 18th, 2016, 9:28 AM
We should know by 6PM this evening if the Tribe can sweep'em.
Kluber goes for the Indians. Normally I'd say it was a done deal, but he has never pitched on just 3 days rest before. You'd think that sooner or later
the Jays' big bats would show up. If they do, and Toronto wins, then game 5 is tomorrow. The Tribe's rotation is all messed up. Doubt they would pitch
Tomlin with so little rest. Probably would go with their bullpen guys again and hope for the best. Can't see the Jays winning down 3-0 though. They might
close it to 3-2, but then it goes back to Cleveland.

fchafey
October 18th, 2016, 9:51 AM
Cleveland used 7 pitchers last night. They probably won't hesitate to do that again tonight. A win tonight gets them all rested until their home game,Tuesday, October 25th. I would keep my foot on Toronto's throats and not let up today.

CenTexDave
October 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Did anyone read Bautista's Twits? Complaining about the home plate umpiring.
So the Jays move him to bat leadoff. Bauer immediately strikes him out. His beautiful
non-catch in right field as he smashed into the wall was a classic too. :))

Rick
October 18th, 2016, 10:17 AM
The strike zone was all over the place last night. But it was all over the place for both teams.

sickofpc
October 18th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Have you seen the machine (camera) that records balls and strikes? They have them in all of the major league parks now, I think. ...Not using them officially because of the tradition with the umpires. They could play major league games without umpires now, if they wanted to....just think about that...Saw a program the other day about this, talking about what percentage of balls and strikes the umpires are getting correct and what percentage they are missing.

CenTexDave
October 18th, 2016, 5:20 PM
They aren't as accurate as they appear. Watching this game and one pitch in that machine showed an inside pitch by a few inches and the ump called a strike. Of course the fans went crazy. Then TNT's overhead cam showed a strike on the inside corner. Perfect pitch. Keep the Umps. I played baseball plenty long enough to know that if you are down a couple runs and that ball is an inch or two inside or outside you'd best be swinging.

CenTexDave
October 18th, 2016, 5:38 PM
Not today. Regroup and take it tomorrow

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2016, 3:18 PM
Game 5. Tribe up 1-0. Mike Napoli drives in a run with a long blast that hit 2/3 of the way up the fence

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2016, 3:48 PM
2-0 Tribe. Carlos Santana goes deep

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2016, 4:06 PM
Coco Crisp solo shot. 3-0 Tribe. Has gotten very quiet in Toronto

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2016, 4:24 PM
Cleveland's pitcher is a 25 yo rookie from McKinney, Tx. Started one game this year (won it). So far so good.

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2016, 4:30 PM
Sorry. 24 years old. They just pulled him out after giving up a cheap ass bloop single. 2 hits in 4-1/3 innings.

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2016, 4:55 PM
Thru 6. 3-0 Tribe. It's Miller Time.

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2016, 5:10 PM
3-0 thru 7. 6 more outs and the Tribe goes to the World Series.

Rick
October 19th, 2016, 5:17 PM
Was watching on my phone at work. Home now! Come on Tribe!!!

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2016, 5:24 PM
3 more to go!!!

CenTexDave
October 19th, 2016, 5:49 PM
:):))

Rick
October 19th, 2016, 5:51 PM
Yes!!!! American League Champions!!!

Rick
October 19th, 2016, 6:06 PM
Unbelievable! I can't get this smile off of my face!

CenTexDave
October 21st, 2016, 11:18 AM
I watched the Cubs-Dodgers game last night. Looks like the Cubs will take the NLCS. Can only hope for
a Dodger comeback tomorrow because the Dodgers, IMO, are a complete joke. If you watched the game
you will know what I mean. :)

fchafey
October 21st, 2016, 12:51 PM
Heard on the radio this morning that Cleveland hasn't won since '48 and Chicago hasn't been there since '45. I would really enjoy watching a series like that. Pure baseball history.

CenTexDave
October 21st, 2016, 1:04 PM
Chicago hasn't won since 1908!!!! Cleveland since 1948, although they had it won in 1997 then heartbreak.
Was reading where Charlie Sheen (movies - Major League) volunteered to throw out the ceremonial first pitch.
MLB turned him down - said they had "franchise greats" to do that. "Franchise greats"??? Bob Feller died a long time ago. :)

fchafey
October 21st, 2016, 1:14 PM
Would be nice to see Gaylord Perry toss a soggy one towards home....:)

mac
October 21st, 2016, 1:31 PM
Would be nice to see Gaylord Perry toss a soggy one towards home....:)

wouldn't it though!? there's still a picture around of an umpire holding one of his balls between his thumb and a finger as he's carefully lookin at it as if, in the words of my dear old Dad, it was covered in used k-y......mac

sojourner truth
October 21st, 2016, 5:13 PM
Personally, I am just thankful that the Jays are out of it. Seeing Bautista lose was a real season highlight for me.

Now, if the Cubs can just put the plug in LAs jug, I will be very happy.

mac
October 21st, 2016, 5:56 PM
Personally, I am just thankful that the Jays are out of it. Seeing Bautista lose was a real season highlight for me.

Now, if the Cubs can just put the plug in LAs jug, I will be very happy.

yep.....that's the way i feel about it too. at the moment, i can't think of any U.S. Team that I want to lose to the Jays..... but, otoh, I do have a warm and fuzzy spot for the Dodgers.....just for old times sakes....and of course, it's hard to be against the Cubs.....mac

Rick
October 21st, 2016, 8:41 PM
and of course, it's hard to be against the Cubs.....mac

No, it won't be hard to be against the Cubs.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/cd02c6efa80c7053c36fa9f7128fad90.jpg

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2016, 9:02 AM
First the Cubs have to win the series against the Dodgers.
LA will pitch Kershaw today. Even though not on full rest, he is formidable.
If LA wins today, who knows what can happen in a game 7.

sojourner truth
October 22nd, 2016, 11:14 AM
Kershaw is not all that like the Dodgers seem to think IMO....

I envision a Cubs/Indians series... as it should be.

One of those series that, no matter who wins, baseball wins.

mac
October 22nd, 2016, 12:11 PM
Kershaw is not all that like the Dodgers seem to think IMO....

I envision a Cubs/Indians series... as it should be.

One of those series that, no matter who wins, baseball wins.

good point. if it's cubs/indians that's good for everybody.......mac

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2016, 8:44 PM
Cubs are up 4-0, 5th inning, in game 6. Starting to look like a Cubs and Indians World Series. :)