PDA

View Full Version : Week 9 Games

stevendub
October 16th, 2016, 3:53 PM
Just what l thought l'd see last week, 3 really close games. Let's see if this week will be the same way.

OFF: Waco Midway (6-2, 4-0)

Thursday game(10/20):

Belton (4-3, 1-2) @ Shoemaker (0-8, 0-4)

Friday games(10/21):

Killeen (2-5, 1-2) (A) vs. Ellison (6-1, 2-1) (H)

Harker Heights (5-3, 2-2) @ Copperas Cove (4-2, 2-1)

CenTexDave
October 16th, 2016, 4:24 PM
Belton, Ellison. And Cove.

Ludwig
October 16th, 2016, 4:27 PM
Belton, Ellison. And Cove.Belton, Ellison, and Harker Heights

Night Owl
October 16th, 2016, 4:36 PM
I agree with Ludwig

sojourner truth
October 16th, 2016, 5:08 PM
Like I said... All the Dawgs have to do is plug up the middle and Heights will not make a whole lot of yardage. They rely almost entirely on the running game, and one guy in particular.

Oh, and for Eagle fans that saw that player who was downed in the end zone with a serious injury last Friday night...

I talked to one of the players who go to our church and he said that he caught the ball in the end zone and then was hit with a block to the lower back and came down flat on his back, knocking the wind out of him and then bruising his spine a bit. He said he is OK, and would only be out for 3 or 4 days.

It surprised me to find out that there are 3 or 4 Eagles players in our teen Bible study group at church. Oh, and Coach Gray is their teacher....

RooDawg
October 17th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Oh, and for Eagle fans that saw that player who was downed in the end zone with a serious injury last Friday night...

I talked to one of the players who go to our church and he said that he caught the ball in the end zone and then was hit with a block to the lower back and came down flat on his back, knocking the wind out of him and then bruising his spine a bit. He said he is OK, and would only be out for 3 or 4 days.

That kid was a defensive player rushing in. He jumped when the QB was throwing the ball and was slammed to the ground by the offensive tackle that was blocking him. He was slammed on his back. It was one dangerous looking play. I'm glad the kid is going to be ok.

Night Owl
October 17th, 2016, 1:05 PM
Lets just put flags on them and no physical contact. Glad he is ok, It's football, play on.

sojourner truth
October 17th, 2016, 6:26 PM
Yeah, according to the kids I talked to it wasn't a really big deal. Most of the concern comes from the extreme amount of care that officials and medical staff take whenever someone gets hurt on the field. It took over 15 minutes to move the player, and thankfully the extra care demonstrated paid off for everyone concerned.

Of course, there were the usual folks who wanted them to just drag the kid off and get on with the game.... Sad.

The fans get a bit stupid at times. I saw my first fight over popcorn last week, and a pretty ugly fight it was too. Who would have ever thunk that a bag of popcorn could get 2 adults into a shoving and shouting match.

Sure glad the kids on the field play by the rules.... Well, almost anyway. I did see my first player ever ejected for taunting last week.

stevendub
October 17th, 2016, 6:26 PM
Heights would really shake up the spot if they beat Cove on Friday. Teams might need 4 district wins to get in this year.

CenTexDave
October 20th, 2016, 9:34 PM
Belton is killing shoemaker, 49-7, 3rd. Not even gonna follow it anymore.

xzochye
October 20th, 2016, 10:30 PM
It was horrid!

CenTexDave
October 21st, 2016, 9:33 AM
My sincere condolences.
Hope the Dawgs get by Heights tonight. That will leave Killeen and the grand finale against (gulp) Belton.

sojourner truth
October 21st, 2016, 12:56 PM
Well, the Eagles do play Killeen tonight. It should be a good game. I think the Eagles are starting to get a feel for their defense.

Still, I can't wait until game time to say "Go Eagles".....

siamcat
October 21st, 2016, 7:32 PM
Go Roos:kishug:

CenTexDave
October 21st, 2016, 9:17 PM
Dawgs are going. As in going down the tubes. Heights up 21-0 at the half. Atta boy, Jack. :)) XE

ethelm
October 21st, 2016, 10:59 PM
Ellison-Killeen game was one of the best I've seen. Roos showed a lot of heart!!! Great game!!!!

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2016, 9:00 AM
And sickofpc wonders why people are on Jack Welch's coaching lately. They had a bye last week - two weeks to prepare for a team that everyone on this planet knows
just runs the ball 99% of the time.
Well done, Jack. Retirement is looming soon.

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2016, 9:58 AM
This district is really messed up. Everybody, with the exception of Midway and, sometimes, Belton, beating everyone else.
No wonder our district is laughed at across the state the past few years.
Someone earlier commented that a 4-2 district record will be required to get into the playoffs. At the time I figured
that would be the case. Now it is looking like a 3-3 record might get a team in, just as Cove squeaked in last year
with a district record of 3-3 and overall 3-7. Some district even had a team with an overall record of 0-10 get in,
as there were only 5 teams in the district and one team had to either forfeit all games or drop their program. Playoffs
are getting ridiculous.

sojourner truth
October 22nd, 2016, 11:11 AM
The Ellison game was great. The defense stopped playing in the 2ndr, and their PAT kicker was horrible last night, which gave the Roos a hard fought win.

I was somewhat distressed to have to listen to the defensive coach chewing butt on the sidelines during the end of the first half on the Eagles side. Personally, I would have walked off the field if I had been a player. And they wonder why they stopped playing in the 2nd half?

The Eagles QB has a real problem letting the ball fly, and holds on to it with the thought of calling his own number a bit too much for my taste. Anyone who can't find an open receiver with all that time has a problem.

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2016, 12:18 PM
Sometimes a butt chewing has the opposite effect. Kids these days don't seem to take to a butt chewing like we might have.

sickofpc
October 22nd, 2016, 2:13 PM
Ellison's kicker has been solid all year. I can only imagine what he feels like today,....the first thoughts on his mind this morning when he woke up....It feels bad enough to wake up on a Saturday morning after a tough loss, but feeling the responsibility is all yours, devastating. I do feel for him.

sickofpc
October 22nd, 2016, 2:21 PM
Dave, you are right. A coach has to know his kids, know when to use negative and know when to use positive reinforcement. ...I do know that some coaches let their players do things in game prep and other aspects of practice and game behavior much differently than the way we prepared way back when because of the "cultural" differences today. This includes high school, college, and the pro game.

sojourner truth
October 22nd, 2016, 2:31 PM
And you are right... It has to be tough on the kicker, as he has been super all year until last night.

And then read the sports section and be the first topic of discussion.

onetime
October 22nd, 2016, 8:07 PM
Personally, I would have walked off the field if I had been a player. And they wonder why they stopped playing in the 2nd half?

LOL, it's a wonder how the profession of coaching still continues with thoughts like that. I guess if he was cursing the kids than he's probably out of line a bit, but cmon it's not girls marbles.

CenTexDave
October 22nd, 2016, 8:49 PM
There's a butt chewing and there is simple verbal bashing/abuse. I wasn't there so don't know for sure, but sounds like he did more than a butt chewing.

siamcat
October 23rd, 2016, 12:06 AM
Ellison-Killeen game was one of the best I've seen. Roos showed a lot of heart!!! Great game!!!!

They sure did. I didn't see it, but I was so proud of them. They didn't give up when they were far behind just kept fighting till the end. It's what the Coach Searcy expects of them. Never give up.

sickofpc
October 23rd, 2016, 1:02 AM
I had coaches in high school and in college that chewed our butts unmercifully at times. The high school coaches didn't curse, the college coaches did, regularly. ..They all praised and encouraged, also. .. Two of my high school coaches were very, very tough and demanding, would get on your butt in a heartbeat, and everyone on the team knew it. We all cared about and respected them because we knew they cared about us and we knew they were good coaches....Walk off the field because my feelings were hurt? The thought never entered my mind.

Agent X
October 23rd, 2016, 3:17 PM
I loved the display of fight and character that the Roos showed Friday night. The ball did "bounce their way" but the kids kept playing and capitalized on the situation. Ellison had superior talent at nearly every position but couldn't close the deal. Ellison's run defense is horrid. The Roos now have something to play for the next two weeks. I wish them well.

sojourner truth
October 23rd, 2016, 7:52 PM
And it also didn't hurt that all the holding that they were doing from the first play until the end of the 3rd quarter was mysteriously... unseen... by any of the refs.

And I don't say that out of sour grapes, just because it was what it was. Officiating has been pretty abysmal all year long. It's pretty bad when you see something, and then some little old lady behind you asks "can they do that" and you have to say no... but they just did and got away with it.

But in the end, those sorts of missed calls go both ways when the reffing crew is pretty much decided to not throw a lot of flags.

CenTexDave
October 23rd, 2016, 8:43 PM
It's been known for about two decades that those officials from the Temple chapter suck, and suck bad. All the district's head coaches need to demand after the season is over that a new crew(s) is hired.

siamcat
October 24th, 2016, 1:02 AM
NO, the sky is blue.8-;

sickofpc
October 24th, 2016, 7:47 AM
Dave, do you realize how many officials are involved in Friday night games?...Most coaches in this area would much rather have Temple chapter officials than from the Austin or Waco chapter. Austin refs are really bad.

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2016, 8:29 AM
Hard to believe the Austin chapter is worse.
Maybe they all need to undergo some sort of re-certification.

johnwc
October 25th, 2016, 1:14 PM
The Austin chapter did the Heights-Ellison game. Streeter's big night was aided initially on a very blatant pull down in front of two officials that was not called. He got called on it the second time he tried it. He did go on to torch the Knights for three more TDs so take nothing away from his performance. And if you think that Eneli did not cross the goal line before the ball was knocked out on the two point conversion, you need to get your eyes checked. They called then reversed that. The only decent officiating crews out of Austin in this area that I have seen have been at Cove although that group was questionable at the end of the Heights-Cove game.

Also it is worth noting that any west Bell County school playing an east Bell county school with the Temple chapter is not going to get a fair shake. State your point as you may, but I have yet to see that happen in over 30 years of watching high school football in the area,