PDA

View Full Version : Vin Scully Retiring

Rick
September 24th, 2016, 2:22 PM
If there every was a voice of baseball, his was that voice.

He's retiring after 67 years in the booth.

fchafey
September 24th, 2016, 4:40 PM
The other night he did the 4th inning when Puig made a great catch at the wall. He shouted Viva Cuba! Viva Puig!. I am a closet Dodger fan. Sandy Koufax was amazing....

CenTexDave
September 25th, 2016, 11:41 AM

He's retiring after 67 years in the booth.

Ever hear "Hammy" announce the Indians' games now? This guy goes crazy when they hit a homer or score the winning run.

mac
September 25th, 2016, 11:46 AM

Whoa! who were Harry Caray and Bob Shepperd, then?....but you're right, he was certainly one of the great announcers of the Game.......mac

Rick
September 25th, 2016, 4:44 PM
Ever hear "Hammy" announce the Indians' games now? This guy goes crazy when they hit a homer or score the winning run.
A wayyyyy back....

He's got a great home run call for sure.

Rick
September 25th, 2016, 4:46 PM
Whoa! who were Harry Caray and Bob Shepperd, then?....but you're right, he was certainly one of the great announcers of the Game.......mac
Scully called 11 World Series' on national TV. I don't know of Harry Carry ever called any.

Never heard of Shepperd.

CenTexDave
October 4th, 2016, 10:10 AM
That's because Harry Caray was the Cubs' announcer. They don't seem to make it to the World Series except once every 110 years. This year will be no exception. :)

Rick
October 4th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Scully did a lot more than the Dodgers. I heard a "best of" from him and he called over of the '49ers games with Montana.

sojourner truth
October 4th, 2016, 10:39 AM
I grew up listening to him call the Dodgers game... When he passes, they need a Dodgers blue coffin. A truly great voice of sports.

mac
October 4th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I grew up listening to him call the Dodgers game... When he passes, they need a Dodgers blue coffin. A truly great voice of sports.

man oh man, you sure know how to hurt a guy......when i was growin' up the Dodgers were a Brooklyn Team......went overseas for a while and came back and.....Dodgers weren't in Brooklyn any more and the Braves weren't in Milwaukee any more.....enough to give a guy whiplash!......mac

CenTexDave
October 4th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Good Lord - when the hell did you enlist - 1930???? :)

sojourner truth
October 4th, 2016, 1:13 PM
Well, any of us that grew up in the 50s remember the moves to the west coast...

It broke an awful lot of hearts in Brooklyn.

CenTexDave
October 4th, 2016, 1:29 PM
Those were classics - Yankees vs Dodgers, Yankees vs Giants, Dodgers vs Giants. Once in a while a team from some other
city/state might sneak in.

fchafey
October 4th, 2016, 1:43 PM
I was looking at what happened on this day in history, and on this day in 1967, it was the first world series game since 1948 not to feature the Yankees, Dodgers, or Giants. Also on this day in 1972, Ted Williams managed his last game in baseball....he was the Rangers manager.