Elgin @ Harker Heights

Friday games(8/26):

Temple @ Belton

A&M Consolidated @ Copperas Cove

Leander @ Ellison

Cedar Park @ Midway

Saturday game(8/27):

Nuevo Leon @ Shoemaker, 10:30 AM start

What does everyone think of the district this year? This could be a big year for Ellison in particular.

CenTexDave
August 21st, 2016, 9:27 AM
I haven't really been following it much anymore. And, kind of surprisingly, not much coverage lately by the KDH.
I know Cove scrimmaged at Abilene on Friday and not one word about how that went is in the paper.

sojourner truth
August 21st, 2016, 1:40 PM
Got tickets for the Friday night Ellison game. Hope it doesn't decide to rain on us all....

stevendub
August 24th, 2016, 8:18 PM
Honestly this can be a big year for Ellison..9 offensive & 6 defensive starters coming back from a 6-4 team. Midway & Belton look strong, they'll probably be the top 2 teams in the district. Shoemaker lost some guys on defense but the offense returns a lot so l think they'll still be formidable. Could be the year 2 KISD teams make the playoffs.

sickofpc
August 24th, 2016, 9:49 PM
Would like to see Ellison do well, but can't see them doing better than 3rd or 4th in District.

CenTexDave
August 25th, 2016, 9:00 AM
Hope Welch finally gets a defensive coordinator that can run a defense or else Cove will finish something like last year (3-8) or worse. :)
His columns in the local Cove papers already seem to indicate he knows he's screwed.

xzochye
August 25th, 2016, 9:21 AM
My heart's desire is for SHS to make it to playoffs for the third year in a row, meet up with Mansfield and WHOOP Coach Hall's new team!

fchafey
August 25th, 2016, 9:26 AM
I really don't follow high school. I do like it when the news or the newspaper has a story on any of the schools teams doing well and make it farl outside the district, whether badminton or football, it is nice to see the kids go far.

Ludwig
August 25th, 2016, 10:26 AM
I really don't follow high school. I do like it when the news or the newspaper has a story on any of the schools teams doing well and make it farl outside the district, whether badminton or football, it is nice to see the kids go far.Yet, it is in High School, and only in High School, where you find the sport in its relatively pure form. After that, sport becomes tainted with monetary gain issues.

CenTexDave
August 25th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Right on, Mein Herr. The kids play in high school for love of the game, although many hope they can earn a football scholarship to a university.
In college all they care about is getting to the NFL.
In the NFL all they care about is $$.
While I enjoy watching the NFL, and I love watching college ball, I'd much rather spend a Friday night at the Dawg Pound. Atmosphere is much better.

xzochye
August 25th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Right on, Mein Herr. The kids play in high school for love of the game, although many hope they can earn a football scholarship to a university.
In college all they care about is getting to the NFL.
In the NFL all they care about is $$.
While I enjoy watching the NFL, and I love watching college ball, I'd much rather spend a Friday night at the Dawg Pound. Atmosphere is much better.

Much cheaper too!

sojourner truth
August 25th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Well, we will be at the Ellison/Leander game this Friday, and can't wait... For the chili dogs.

stevendub
August 25th, 2016, 4:35 PM
l'll go with Stony Point, Heights, Temple, Consol, Ellison, Cedar Park & Shoemaker winning in week 1.

sickofpc
August 25th, 2016, 5:08 PM
When you see the high school players out practicing, in the mornings and/or afternoons, you realize how much time and effort they put into the sport. I admire their desire and willingness to work like they do... I do love Friday night football, whether it is A or AAAAAA.

sojourner truth
August 25th, 2016, 7:08 PM
Reminded me of what my wife said about Texas HS football... Where else would you see a 3 man, 1 legged football squad in a town of 35 people....

stevendub
August 26th, 2016, 5:10 PM
Very impressive showing by Heights yesterday, and how about Killeen pulling out a good road win?

sojourner truth
August 26th, 2016, 8:27 PM
Looks like there won't be any football tonight across the district... Stood in a crowd of hundreds of people screaming at the top of their lungs for an hour and a half before we decided to leave...

But not before we got our chili dog and Frito pie....:))

kantwin
August 27th, 2016, 6:52 AM
Looks like there won't be any football tonight across the district... Stood in a crowd of hundreds of people screaming at the top of their lungs for an hour and a half before we decided to leave... But not before we got our chili dog and Frito pie....:))
A Frito Pie has all the food groups, right?

CenTexDave
August 27th, 2016, 7:55 AM
Yep, just like a good Philly Cheesesteak. :)
Cove's game with A&M Conso was cancelled - won't be rescheduled. That sucks for both teams, but I understand
the reasoning because it's a long trip for the team and fans to come back to play Saturday.
Cedar Park is ranked high in 5-A. Midway was ranked in 6-A. CP blew their doors off last night. Might be the year
for someone in this district to step up and win it all.

xzochye
August 27th, 2016, 1:06 PM
Shoe is getting their butts handed to them by Mexico....

CenTexDave
August 27th, 2016, 1:32 PM
You're kidding I hope. This Mexican team usually gets blown out when they come up here. Is it on the radio?
Wonder what Cove will do with them next week.

xzochye
August 27th, 2016, 2:12 PM
You're kidding I hope. This Mexican team usually gets blown out when they come up here. Is it on the radio?
Wonder what Cove will do with them next week.

I wish....23-14. Lots of false starts and 5 yard penalties

CenTexDave
August 27th, 2016, 2:22 PM
First game jitters probably.
But I expect these Mexican teams that come up here every year and play (usually are their national champs) have improved
a whole lot the past few years.
Doubtful Cove will kick their butts like they used to. Doubtful Cove will win. :)

sickofpc
August 27th, 2016, 4:07 PM
Dave, Dave..shame on you. Mexico must have improved tremendously..or Shoemaker is in big trouble.

sojourner truth
August 27th, 2016, 5:57 PM
Ellison is supposed to kick off at 6PM. I am so mad I tossed my ticket stub now....

That's OK though.... 1 chili dog a week is probably plenty for me.

kantwin
August 27th, 2016, 8:11 PM
Ellison is supposed to kick off at 6PM. I am so mad I tossed my ticket stub now.... That's OK though.... 1 chili dog a week is probably plenty for me.
Could have contributed another few bucks and gone to see the game.

sojourner truth
August 27th, 2016, 8:51 PM
Naaahh... We have seasons tickets in the nice comfy seats. This old ass can't handle the bleachers any more... Even with a cushion.

I did notice that 91.3 was not broadcasting the game tonight and was wondering if they only have funding to cover one event a week. They were left standing high and not so dry last night.

Guess I'll have to wait till the news and see who won.

Right now, we are watching the Rangers do something different... Winning a game at home.

birdfriend
August 27th, 2016, 9:35 PM
Ellison defeats Leander 56-21. Information posted on Ellison High School facebook page.

beaver
August 28th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Naaahh... We have seasons tickets in the nice comfy seats. This old ass can't handle the bleachers any more... Even with a cushion.

I did notice that 91.3 was not broadcasting the game tonight and was wondering if they only have funding to cover one event a week. They were left standing high and not so dry last night.

Guess I'll have to wait till the news and see who won.

Right now, we are watching the Rangers do something different... Winning a game at home.

The game was broadcast live on KISD TV channel 17(Time-Warner) and on KISD radio 95.1FM

CenTexDave
August 28th, 2016, 10:59 AM
The KDH needs to start letting people know which radio stations are carrying these games.

stevendub
August 28th, 2016, 1:15 PM
Shoemaker's got talent still, but they've got things to work on too. Fatigue was a factor too though TBH it was a hot one. #2 is a really good WR though. And they got names on the back of their jerseys, that's a first around here.

Ellison's gonna make quite a bit of noise this year, l said it before. Dominant performance.

sojourner truth
August 28th, 2016, 2:22 PM
Yeah, I missed the broadcast because I did not know of, and was unaware of, any source. And, I don't have TW cable either.

I was not aware that the ISD had a broadcast capability....

I know Owl... who pays for that, right?

birdfriend
August 28th, 2016, 2:28 PM
That radio broadcast station 95.1 FM is part of the Career Center. I believe I read that the station's broadcast radius is about 10 miles.
Article about it here http://kdhnews.com/news/education/killeen-isd-launches-radio-station-my/article_1956f122-b99f-11e5-a9a1-4356caf5a924.html

CenTexDave
August 29th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Shoemaker's got talent still, but they've got things to work on too. Fatigue was a factor too though TBH it was a hot one. #2 is a really good WR though. And they got names on the back of their jerseys, that's a first around here.

Ellison's gonna make quite a bit of noise this year, l said it before. Dominant performance.

They did look impressive. But appears to be a one man show - their QB. Stop him and you stop Ellison.

sojourner truth
August 29th, 2016, 4:01 PM
They have a few defense issues to overcome as well.