PDA

View Full Version : Selling a Gun? (Moved from Professor Topic)

Grammar Rules
July 12th, 2016, 9:04 PM
question, O gun experts: if I want to sell a long gun of any kind, or a pistol, for that matter, do I have a legal obligation as far as paperwork?

Night Owl
July 12th, 2016, 9:20 PM
question, O gun experts: if I want to sell a long gun of any kind, or a pistol, for that matter, do I have a legal obligation as far as paperwork?
Nope.

Shotgun Jeremy
July 12th, 2016, 9:36 PM
No bill of sale required. Personally, I don't even recommend it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Grammar Rules
July 12th, 2016, 9:46 PM
Recommend not selling or documenting? :))

Night Owl
July 12th, 2016, 9:49 PM
Recommend not selling or documenting? :))
Documenting.:)

Dagobert II
July 12th, 2016, 10:31 PM
If you want to armor plate your behind in the event the feds are trying to entrap you, you could have the buyer sign a statement saying they're legally permitted to possess the weapon. You aren't required to put 'em on a lie detector or otherwise research that declaration but it will protect you if the feds come around later asking why you sold a firearm to a gun runner like Eric Holder. You can prove you asked, which is more than you have to do.

Grammar Rules
July 12th, 2016, 11:21 PM
Not worried about gun runners. I'm in no hurry to divest myself of the ones I don't use, and I wouldn't sell to anyone I didn't know.

Rick
July 13th, 2016, 7:16 AM
What are you considering selling?

If it were me, I'd have a bill of sale.

I would like to hear the arguments for not documenting the sale.

Grammar Rules
July 13th, 2016, 8:14 AM
I have a busy morning, so I'll get back to you.

Rick
July 13th, 2016, 8:52 AM
:callbs You're retired! Not allowed to be busy.

sojourner truth
July 13th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Well, it is an honest question... My wife asked me the same question yesterday, as it may come down to her having to sell my arsenal should I pass away before her, and she also is concerned about repercussions of arms sales.

I told her that short of an out of state sale, she could sell the guns and ammo to anyone she wanted to, but that her conscience would have to be her guide as well. Or, I suggested that she could offer them on consignment to a licensed gun dealer as a way to salve her possible regrets later on for selling them to someone who might use them inappropriately. I told her she would not get nearly half what they are worth from a dealer, but I don't think that matters to her.

The only one she wants to hang onto is my MP 15-22... Mostly because it loads and operates the same as an M 16, which she has been trained to use. Plus, it has a very light pull weight when cocking and charging a round. Not a real powerhouse, but it does put out an awful lot of rounds in a short time.

But being concerned about who gets their hands on you firearms is a good idea no matter what type they are. In Texas, there are no rules for the sale unless you are a dealer, and that is another big sticking point with a lot of folks who advocate restrictions on person to person gun sales. I personally find it a bit... peeving,,, when going to a gun sale to have to go through a background check when there are guys (and gals too) walking around with all sorts of guns for sale requiring no checks at all....

CenTexDave
July 13th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Donate them to us Centextalk.com conservatives!! :)

mac
July 13th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Well, it is an honest question... My wife asked me the same question yesterday, as it may come down to her having to sell my arsenal should I pass away before her, and she also is concerned about repercussions of arms sales.

I told her that short of an out of state sale, she could sell the guns and ammo to anyone she wanted to, but that her conscience would have to be her guide as well. Or, I suggested that she could offer them on consignment to a licensed gun dealer as a way to salve her possible regrets later on for selling them to someone who might use them inappropriately. I told her she would not get nearly half what they are worth from a dealer, but I don't think that matters to her.

The only one she wants to hang onto is my MP 15-22... Mostly because it loads and operates the same as an M 16, which she has been trained to use. Plus, it has a very light pull weight when cocking and charging a round. Not a real powerhouse, but it does put out an awful lot of rounds in a short time.

But being concerned about who gets their hands on you firearms is a good idea no matter what type they are. In Texas, there are no rules for the sale unless you are a dealer, and that is another big sticking point with a lot of folks who advocate restrictions on person to person gun sales. I personally find it a bit... peeving,,, when going to a gun sale to have to go through a background check when there are guys (and gals too) walking around with all sorts of guns for sale requiring no checks at all....

Sojourner: Does your MP 15-22 by any chance have a picatinny base? Factory mounted?....mac

sojourner truth
July 13th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Sojourner: Does your MP 15-22 by any chance have a picatinny base? Factory mounted?....mac

I don't even know what a Piccatinny base is Mac... It has mod equippable handguards and an extendable stock, and capable of taking on optics and stuff... But then I always did prefer the old M2 iron sights that I am used to anyhow, and never trusted optics other than the ones the good lord provided me at birth.

And Dave, I might think about donating to a number of folks on CTT, but when I think of you getting your hands on my AK or AR of M1A, I get these visions of rag headed bodies lieing all over the place, and the DNC convention being attacked.. :))

Grammar Rules
July 13th, 2016, 2:04 PM
Yeah, you want to avoid that scene!

I'll probably take most of them to a dealer. I may sell one to a known individual who wants to look at it. Thanks for the input.

sojourner truth
July 13th, 2016, 2:54 PM
Not a bad idea in your case... A dealer will probably take a good chunk for a commission, but that is the price you pay for a clear (or semi clear) conscience... After all, you do not know who the dealer might sell it to. Could be the mom from Sandy Hook for all we know.

Like I said, if you want to stop bad things with guns, you first have to outlaw people.

I told my wife to either let a church friend act as an agent to sell min, when the time comes, or look on CTT for Rick or Mac or maybe NO as a possible person who knows responsible possible owners as a point of contact.

Now, as for my collection of guitars and cars... not so sure

I already sold my Harley, and am now looking for a buyer for my 28 Model A hot rod.... As I said before, I do not plan on being around for very many more years, and it is about time to divest myself of a few toys that I no longer play with much.

Rick
July 13th, 2016, 3:07 PM
or look on CTT for Rick or Mac or maybe NO as a possible person who knows responsible possible owners as a point of contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

Ludwig
July 13th, 2016, 3:16 PM
I'm in the market for an M-1 Carbine... an original model not an Inland reproduction, that is functional. Also I would love to find a functional M-1 Garrand. Anyone?

Shotgun Jeremy
July 14th, 2016, 3:19 PM
If your wife needs to sell a bunch of your guns, there are people who specialize in things like helping estates find valuable items new homes. If you have any Class III items, you'll need to get her on a trust with you but you should already know how that works if you do have any Class III items...so I won't go into that too much. I can help with getting guns to good owners at fair prices for both parties, or if she wants to have a gun shop help her, PAR Guns in Copperas Cove does consignment all the time.

The reason I say stay away from BOS is because it's simply not necessary. You can do it for all the feel good warm fuzzies you want, but that's realistically all you're getting out of it. It's up to the judicial system to prove you guilty of a crime, such as knowingly selling to someone who's not qualified. Someone can lie to your face about it just as easily as they can lie to a paper they're signing off. The only way you can know for sure is to go to a gun shop or PD and see if they will run a background check for you. However, that's not required. Just have a second person there during the transaction as a witness to what's being said as well as backup in case things do take a turn south and ask the person if they're eligible to normally buy a gun. Boom - you asked them and you have a witness to the fact. You did your part. If you really want to be careful, then say you'll only sell to people with a LTC upon proof that they have it.

If you DO insist on going with a BOS, then avoid Social Security Numbers, Drivers License Numbers, or Addresses. Once those go on paper between strangers, now you're opening both sides up to potential accusations of stolen identity.

I am not a lawyer. This is all based on years of multiple conversations about it with friends, strangers, gun shop talk, lawyers, police, and investigators. I've also tried to find cases where people have had charges pressed and the charges had anything to do with them not making a BOS - I have found no such cases so far. I DID start out thinking that Bills of Sale are a must - those conversations and digging around have made me change where I stand.

sojourner truth
July 14th, 2016, 3:44 PM
Good advice... I'm not worried about my conscience because if she is selling them, I won't be around to worry about it.

All I have are my semi auto weapons and a ton of ammo for them. And hopefully, I will still be around for a bit longer.

My wife has all the powers of attorney and will stuff done for us so that no matter who goes first, someone can sell whatever they want.

I expect the Corvette, Hotrod, Guitars and then guns will go in that order knowing her.:)

And, should we happen to go together, my daughter inherits it all... Headaches included.

mac
July 14th, 2016, 4:12 PM
I'm in the market for an M-1 Carbine... an original model not an Inland reproduction, that is functional. Also I would love to find a functional M-1 Garrand. Anyone?

I happen to have both of 'em, Ludwig. If you read in the paper of my demise you.....might wanna wait a respectable amount of time and then call the old lady......mac

Ludwig
July 14th, 2016, 9:11 PM
I happen to have both of 'em, Ludwig. If you read in the paper of my demise you.....might wanna wait a respectable amount of time and then call the old lady......macYou will be reading of my demise rather than I yours. But, just in case, could you will them to me? My old lady will not take kindly to me foling around with yours, even if its to get a good prive. :)):))

Dagobert II
July 14th, 2016, 9:38 PM
My youngest has called all of mine and his siblings don't seem to care so watch out.

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2016, 10:09 AM
I don't even know what a Piccatinny base is Mac... It has mod equippable handguards and an extendable stock, and capable of taking on optics and stuff... But then I always did prefer the old M2 iron sights that I am used to anyhow, and never trusted optics other than the ones the good lord provided me at birth.

And Dave, I might think about donating to a number of folks on CTT, but when I think of you getting your hands on my AK or AR of M1A, I get these visions of rag headed bodies lieing all over the place, and the DNC convention being attacked.. :))

Cheapskate!!!!!!!!! :)

sojourner truth
July 15th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Not cheap, by any means... Merely... Prudent.:))

CenTexDave
July 15th, 2016, 1:06 PM
Thanks for your vote of confidence. I don't have an arsenal like you, but really don't
need anything now, unless you might have an extra claymore or two laying around. :)

sojourner truth
July 15th, 2016, 1:35 PM
Nope... But then they don't exactly sell those on Ebay either.

Talked to a guy at breakfast this morning who has an old 30 cal air cooled MG... Pretty neat. He is getting a Ma deuce this month from somewhere.

As I was eating, the guy that teaches the CHL course here in HH came in and was talking to me about his licensing job, and I asked him how many folks he had go through his course. He just turned around to the folks eating in the room and asked "How many in here are packing that have been to my course".... Over 3/4 of the room raised their hands... Nice to know you ain't alone.

Night Owl
July 15th, 2016, 1:56 PM

Talked to a guy at breakfast this morning who has an old 30 cal air cooled MG... Pretty neat. He is getting a Ma deuce this month from somewhere.

As I was eating, the guy that teaches the CHL course here in HH came in and was talking to me about his licensing job, and I asked him how many folks he had go through his course. He just turned around to the folks eating in the room and asked "How many in here are packing that have been to my course".... Over 3/4 of the room raised their hands... Nice to know you ain't alone.
Send me his info. I've convinced the wife and daughter to get their CHL.

ExKilleencitizen
July 15th, 2016, 1:58 PM

Now why couldn't one or two of the crooks in Killeen pick that place to rob? That would be hilarious wouldn't it? Well, hilarious for the gun-toting citizens, not so much for the would be robbers :).

Johnny Frederick
July 15th, 2016, 3:25 PM
I have been in the gun business for over 30 years.

I always recommend a bill of sale or at least a signed receipt if you do not know the person well
for a private sale.

I do consignment on guns and jewelry and I charge 15%. We also sell lot of estates and collection for people .

Johnny

sojourner truth
July 15th, 2016, 3:38 PM
Send me his info. I've convinced the wife and daughter to get their CHL.

His name is Tyrell... he runs the Harker Heights driving school, and he also does CHL classes.

The only thing that would worry me about a bad guy robbing that establishment would be the number of rounds flying around and all of those old fart blasting away in abandon. Me being one of them. I trust my aim... everyone else... not quite so much.

Probably find me on the floor out of the free fire zone.

Mestral
July 16th, 2016, 5:06 PM
I told her that short of an out of state sale, she could sell the guns and ammo to anyone she wanted to, but that her conscience would have to be her guide as well. Or, I suggested that she could offer them on consignment to a licensed gun dealer as a way to salve her possible regrets later on for selling them to someone who might use them inappropriately. I told her she would not get nearly half what they are worth from a dealer, but I don't think that matters to her....
If you leave her my contact information, I would give her a better price than she would get from any dealer on any one of the long guns that I know you own (I think I can afford pretty much any one of the ones I know about), plus would give her a good price for the ammo to feed it. (I can only afford one)

Probably find me on the floor out of the free fire zone.
At the outset of a firefight involving untrained shooters, the floor is the safest place.
Not perfectly safe, since some of them will shoot themselves in the foot, while drawing their pistol :))

Hopefully, the instructor instilled in them, the importance of practicing your draw properly.

sojourner truth
July 16th, 2016, 6:30 PM
Yeah... OK... I am surprised I didn't have you on my short list as well.

As a rule, I usually never keep a round in the chamber of either a slider and especially not a revolver.

One thing Tyrell did tell me was that his enrollment has been skyrocketing ever since San Bernadino. Go figure, right.

Mestral
July 16th, 2016, 7:05 PM
Yeah... OK... I am surprised I didn't have you on my short list as well.

As a rule, I usually never keep a round in the chamber of either a slider and especially not a revolver.

One thing Tyrell did tell me was that his enrollment has been skyrocketing ever since San Bernadino. Go figure, right.
I had been schooled by the military and several others to keep a round in the chamber,
but after much consideration, I don't think I will, unless things get really bad.

My wife's revolver is "drop safe" (to fire it without pulling the trigger, the hammer would have to pass
through a substantial amount of metal) so I keep all six chambers loaded.
It is a nightstand gun, anyway, since she won't carry.

sojourner truth
July 16th, 2016, 7:48 PM
I was talking to friend of mine yesterday who was carrying a neat little Smith and Wesson (I think it was a 9mm defender type) that was so small that it went in a small cell phone carrier on his belt. To the average person it looked just like a cell phone. Until I asked him, after seeing him pull his real cell phone out a holder on his pocket, what was in the other one and he showed me...

I need something like that instead of this LPC 9mm. It is pretty darn small, but huge compared to the one he was packing. He said the only thing he didn't like about it was the very long trigger pull.