PDA

View Full Version : Tree Talk (Messages moved from Rain Topic)

sojourner truth
December 14th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Well, from the picture, that looks like an Arizona ash tree... one of which we have had in the yards of our last 2 homes.

They are fast growing trees that provide nice shade, but they don't usually last more than 10 to 15 years. Mostly because they are a soft wood, and Texas has a ton of boring insects that love them for chow...

Ours did the same thing by losing leaves right after they bloomed. It is because the boring insects have eaten all of the conduits that transport fluids to the leaves... ergo, they die off quickly and drop to the ground. When you cut the tree up, if you look inside the wood you will probably see the holes where the borers have made their home...

If you want a really good replacement, either get an Oak (which takes so long to grow you will be long gone before you can reap the rewards of its shade) or, better yet, a Texas ash which is fast growing and is specially bred to be borer resistant.

We got one for the front yard and it is great... Growing like gangbusters and it only took 4 years to get big.

Mestral
December 14th, 2015, 11:34 AM
or, better yet, a Texas ash which is fast growing and is specially bred to be borer resistant.
We got one for the front yard and it is great... Growing like gangbusters and it only took 4 years to get big.
Well, I think you just sold me on the Texas Ash.

fchafey
December 14th, 2015, 12:36 PM
I could see where ASH would be resistant to borers. Ash makes for one heck of a baseball bat. So does Maple.

Mestral
December 14th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I could see where ASH would be resistant to borers. Ash makes for one heck of a baseball bat. So does Maple.
Any fast growing tree, even if it is called Ash is a soft wood, at least for the first 50 years.
What makes one tree more resistant to insects than another is usually how tasty they find the bark and sapwood.
(Eucalyptus is case in point, insects find it particularly unpalatable)

My problem thus far has been finding a tree that will grow fast, and able to deal with the insanely hot summers.

CenTexDave
December 14th, 2015, 1:09 PM
Poplars grow very fast. The only problem I had with one I planted is you will forever
be cutting off branches close to the ground. But once you do that it will grow and fill out nicely.

sojourner truth
December 14th, 2015, 1:10 PM
Texas Ash grows even faster than Arizona Ash, far as I have seen... The biggest problem I have had with mine is that it puts out a lot of roots... And in the Texas rock (also known as dirt) they do not go deep but run across the top of the soil where the dirt is actually dirt. The roots have a tendency to lift any concrete, and upset foundations if planted within 30 feet of either.

Not sure what the difference between the Arizona and Texas varieties is, but I have not had any bug issues with the Texas variety, as the Az. version had issues after only a few years.

Oak is the first choice of serious landscape architects, but it takes 50 years to get a good sized shade tree... Plus there is another disease that is called Oak Wilt that destroys as many Oaks as does borers in Ash.

The only decision is do you want shade soon, or for your grandchildren.... I have also successfully grown an apple tree (from seed) and have a young seedling peach growing in a pot to be transplanted next spring.

If you want shade, might as well get some fruit with it, right?

Night Owl
December 14th, 2015, 1:14 PM
If a tree grows fast it also has a short lifespan. The faster it grows the faster it dies.

mac
December 14th, 2015, 4:20 PM

the ash is under attack right now from the ash beetle (emerald ash borer) up north. it hasn't made it down here yet but it prob'ly will......I had a green ash that grew fast and made really good shade...mac

cnjbond
December 14th, 2015, 4:36 PM
Well, from the picture, that looks like an Arizona ash tree... one of which we have had in the yards of our last 2 homes.

No, this was definitely a Willow but we did have a hard time keeping the bugs away which as you said, played a big part in it slowly dying (especially when you add the droughts into the equation).

Ludwig
December 14th, 2015, 6:41 PM
From the looks of it, it hardly had a root system.

I have a volunteer hackberry in my yard which is just 20 years old and shades the house quite well. Fruit trees are good for fruit but are generally poor shade trees since we tend to keep them short for an easier harvest. If you want a producer and shade, you can't go wrong with a Pecan. I plan to experiment with Chestnut trees this spring... I have 18 Chestnuts wintering in my reefer right now... they are of the inedible "Horse Chestnut" variety, smuggled in from the Chech Republic this fall.

mac
December 14th, 2015, 6:53 PM

I have a volunteer hackberry in my yard which is just 20 years old and shades the house quite well. Fruit trees are good for fruit but are generally poor shade trees since we tend to keep them short for an easier harvest. If you want a producer and shade, you can't go wrong with a Pecan. I plan to experiment with Chestnut trees this spring... I have 18 Chestnuts wintering in my reefer right now... they are of the inedible "Horse Chestnut" variety, smuggled in from the Chech Republic this fall.

they've successfully started growing American Chestnuts again but not yet marketable........the only way to get American Chestnut wood today is by using reclaimed lumber....and, to tell the truth, most of that's gone too. it's a real fine looking tree and will really be something else if they ever get it re-established here....mac

mac
December 14th, 2015, 7:01 PM

Ludwig: 'horse chestnuts' are neither horse nor chestnut. the only chestnuts in Europe are the "Spanish Chestnuts"......i think they're called castinea or something like that.....mac

Ludwig
December 14th, 2015, 8:19 PM
Ludwig: 'horse chestnuts' are neither horse nor chestnut. the only chestnuts in Europe are the "Spanish Chestnuts"......i think they're called castinea or something like that.....macWell... whatever they are, I have 18 of them in my reefer and they look and feel, inside and out, like the "chestnuts" I used to buy on the sidewalk in New York City on a cold winter's night. Anyway, I'll just call the Chech Nuts 'cause that's where I got them.

sojourner truth
December 14th, 2015, 8:44 PM
They have some chestnut trees at the new airport out front. A pretty messy tree when they start dropping fruit.

I would love to have a Mimosa, as I love the smell of them in blossom, but the TDA has labeled them an invasive species and they can no longer be found at local nurseries... Messy too, but I still want one.

mac
December 14th, 2015, 11:57 PM
They have some chestnut trees at the new airport out front.

American Chestnut trees?.........Wow, wonder how I missed that.....mac

siamcat
December 15th, 2015, 12:25 AM
We have a fruitless mulberry which has lived for 18 years now in our front yard. It grows like crazy and provides great shade. Downside is it grows like crazy.

kantwin
December 15th, 2015, 5:46 AM
They have some chestnut trees at the new airport out front. A pretty messy tree when they start dropping fruit. . I know a sweet gum has 'fruit' that sorta looks like chestnut. Leaves look sorta like maple, too. But it's not a nice tree. I've been slowly eliminating them from my yard. Down to 3 of them. I already got rid of the magnolias. Keeping the hickory, that's for sure. It's probably 120 feet tall. Almost no nuts this year.

Night Owl
December 15th, 2015, 8:10 AM
I know a sweet gum has 'fruit' that sorta looks like chestnut. Leaves look sorta like maple, too. But it's not a nice tree. I've been slowly eliminating them from my yard. Down to 3 of them. I already got rid of the magnolias. Keeping the hickory, that's for sure. It's probably 120 feet tall. Almost no nuts this year.
We know it has at least one every year.:))

mac
December 15th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I know a sweet gum has 'fruit' that sorta looks like chestnut. Leaves look sorta like maple, too. But it's not a nice tree. I've been slowly eliminating them from my yard. Down to 3 of them. I already got rid of the magnolias. Keeping the hickory, that's for sure. It's probably 120 feet tall. Almost no nuts this year.

Hickories are illegal here in Texas. Why, you ask? Beats the hell out of me, they're a great tree. I have 3 of 'em in the back yard that are about 2 maybe 3 years old that I grew from nuts that I cracked and potted. I would like to be able to raise them to at least 10 years old before anyone from the bureaucracy spots them...mac

kantwin
December 15th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Hickories are illegal here in Texas. Why, you ask? Beats the hell out of me, they're a great tree. I have 3 of 'em in the back yard that are about 2 maybe 3 years old that I gree from nuts that I cracked and potted. I would like to be able to raise them to at least 10 years old before anyone from the bureaucracy spots them...mac
How can a native North American tree, known to grow in Texas natively, be illegal in Texas?
You're gonna have to show some sort of reference for that.
I'm just not going to take BMSS on this one...

CenTexDave
December 15th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I tried to look that up and couldn't find anything that stated hickory trees are illegal in TX.

fchafey
December 15th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Moving citrus trees into Texas is illegal. I have provided a link to the Black Hickory Tree from our dear scholars at Texas A&M. I do suspect it is severely frowned upon to plant Black hickory Trees next to White Oaks in some parts of Eastern Texas. Sorry I couldn't resist. :)

http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/TreeDetails/?id=24

mac
December 15th, 2015, 12:49 PM
oh ye of little faith. just try and order one from all of the seed and garden books that will soon be hitting your mail box.....mac

kantwin
December 15th, 2015, 1:18 PM
oh ye of little faith. just try and order one from all of the seed and garden books that will soon be hitting your mail box.....mac
Did you sign me up for seed and garden books? Because I sure don't get any of those.

sojourner truth
December 15th, 2015, 1:32 PM
The TDA in concert with Texas A and M has an entire list of trees that are considered an invasive or harmful species.

But I have yet to see the tree police checking anything out lately. If they were they would see a number of dreaded Mimosas in my neighborhood.

kantwin
December 15th, 2015, 1:39 PM
I see lots of mimosas along many country roads here in SE Alabama.

mac
December 15th, 2015, 6:39 PM
The TDA in concert with Texas A and M has an entire list of trees that are considered an invasive or harmful species.

But I have yet to see the tree police checking anything out lately. If they were they would see a number of dreaded Mimosas in my neighborhood.

they would, for sure, see a very proud Mimosa in my yard....we call it our Umbrella tree. It's been the site of many gatherings for the last 25 years or so......mac

sojourner truth
December 15th, 2015, 7:29 PM
Great tree... Messy but great.

If you ever get any seedlings that pop up, give me a holler.

mac
December 15th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Great tree... Messy but great.

If you ever get any seedlings that pop up, give me a holler.

will do, but i'm pretty sure mine's a male......mac

sojourner truth
December 17th, 2015, 10:28 AM
will do, but i'm pretty sure mine's a male......mac

I still haven't figured that one pout yet.... Checking between their legs is hard to do...:))

But it's like my ash trees... The one in back is a male and the one in front (a Texas Ash) is a female... Seed pods dropping everywhere and sprouting up saplings every year. Problem I am having with it now is the root system which is starting to really mess with my driveway and maybe even my foundation.... Very invasive top rooting systems on ash trees.

I am really curious to see how my apple tree sapling is going to fare throughout this winter, and if it survives to spring... It still has healthy green leaves and started as a seed and is now over 4 feet tall....

mac
December 17th, 2015, 11:22 AM
I still haven't figured that one pout yet.... Checking between their legs is hard to do...:))

But it's like my ash trees... The one in back is a male and the one in front (a Texas Ash) is a female... Seed pods dropping everywhere and sprouting up saplings every year. Problem I am having with it now is the root system which is starting to really mess with my driveway and maybe even my foundation.... Very invasive top rooting systems on ash trees.

I am really curious to see how my apple tree sapling is going to fare throughout this winter, and if it survives to spring... It still has healthy green leaves and started as a seed and is now over 4 feet tall....

what kind of apple tree is it? I've planted several and was only successful with jonathan and granny smith......a lot of times the seeds you get from apples you buy in a store are hybrid and sterile but if you've already got 4' of growth, it should at least have a blossom or so, not many, this comin' spring....mac

sojourner truth
December 17th, 2015, 12:18 PM
It was a Gala, I am pretty sure... And I started it in a pot of potting soil and it took off pretty good. Since it is growing, I would guess that it sure wasn't sterile.:))

AT any rate, it is one of those "nothing ventured...nothing gained" propositions anyhow. Same with my late season tomato plants. Put them in a couple of pots just to see what they would do and now I have a ton of late season tomatoes all over the patio....

mat
December 17th, 2015, 4:11 PM
I read somewhere, that if you want to grow a tree from seed or pitt that the seeds or pits need to be refrigerated for a couple of weeks to simulate a winter season passing.

ithoughtso
December 17th, 2015, 6:15 PM
Best place around here to buy trees?

sojourner truth
December 17th, 2015, 6:22 PM
Trees R' Us....:))

My favorite place used to be on 2410, but they shut down. Then it was Omas on old 440, but she shut down. Any more it's a crap shoot. Maybe that place on Sleuter loop... That is where I get my firewood, but I haven't checked their selection of trees yet.

Ludwig
December 17th, 2015, 9:10 PM
There are a lot of apple orchards around Mason, TX. They have an apple festival each year. Trust me, hell would sooner freeze than does Mason.

mac
December 17th, 2015, 11:53 PM
Best place around here to buy trees?

i don't know if oma's is still around or not or if she finally gave up the ghost gut if she's still open, she has the best....very very limited but it's all native.....mac

mac
December 17th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Trees R' Us....:))

My favorite place used to be on 2410, but they shut down. Then it was Omas on old 440, but she shut down. Any more it's a crap shoot. Maybe that place on Sleuter loop... That is where I get my firewood, but I haven't checked their selection of trees yet.

yeow, if Oma's has shut down then that place way out there on schleuter is the best....there's another good place outside of temple but can't recall the name of it right now....mac