PDA

View Full Version : Rangers in first place...

sojourner truth
September 16th, 2015, 10:27 AM
If you would have told me in June that the Rangers would be in first place of the AL west in September, I would have called you crazy.

Somehow, some way, they have managed to eke out enough wins to go up on Houston 1/2 game as of last night.

Their starting pitching stinks, most of their first line players are having a really terrible year with a bat, Fielder can't seem to find his home run formula, and their bullpen is the worst I have seen in years. And Colby Lewis, at whom I used to cringe whenever I saw him enter a game, is their best starter.

They still can't seem to hit up to potential, and their pitching staff has been listening to Maddox too much with their penchant to try and "paint the corners" despite having piss poor control.

I will never understand how they have gotten this far, but it is a pleasant surprise.

I can only imagine what will happen when they finally get their A act on board.

CenTexDave
September 16th, 2015, 11:53 AM
It would be neat if both the Rangers and Astros make the playoffs.

fchafey
September 16th, 2015, 1:41 PM
I watched that game last night and it was really refreshing to see the Astros were the ones the Rangers were battling with. I don't get how the Rangers are getting it done, but they are. I would love to see the Mets play the Astros in the World Series. Believe it will be Royals-Dodgers though or Royals - Cardinals.

sojourner truth
September 16th, 2015, 3:25 PM
Well, the Rangers may get lucky enough (certainly not talented enough) to get to a playoff, but they won't disappoint once they get there... They will immediately go down in the first round.

I say we sell them to the Phillipines and rename them the Manilla Folders.

CenTexDave
September 16th, 2015, 8:55 PM
KC is in a bit of a slump lately.

mac
September 17th, 2015, 2:36 PM
I watched that game last night and it was really refreshing to see the Astros were the ones the Rangers were battling with. I don't get how the Rangers are getting it done, but they are. I would love to see the Mets play the Astros in the World Series. Believe it will be Royals-Dodgers though or Royals - Cardinals.

what'd you think of last night's game? any mis-givings on your earlier ......predictions?....mac

sojourner truth
September 17th, 2015, 5:25 PM
what'd you think of last night's game? any mis-givings on your earlier ......predictions?....mac

Gotta admit, their bats are spotty, at best. My wife and I have had many a night watching them swat 10 or more runs, and saying to ourselves "Sure hope they save a few of those for tomorrow" just to have them lose the next day 1-0..

And their pitching is always a heart attack to watch.

They are fairly good through the 5th inning, unless their starter is having an exceptionally bad night. But once they get into the bullpen, all bets are off.... Sheppers should have been kept down at 3A... What appears to be happening is that they have no real prospects for pitching and just keep recycling the losers they own from 3A to the bigs, and then back down a few times.

The real bitch is the folks they get rid of. The ones who don't do squat for the Rangers, get traded, and then have an epiphany at their new club. Nelly Cruz for example. Then, they dump players who perform poorly, and buy them back later like Hamilton... Who immediately get injured when rehired after a game or 2... Napoli has been somewhat of a surprise though..Simply remarkable that they have gotten this far.

This has to be the one example of exception to the axiom that stupidity is doing the same dumb thing over and over and expecting a different result.

fchafey
September 18th, 2015, 9:56 PM
The swept the Astro's good on them and maybe an honest good old Texas rivalry is budding. Didn't watch the game, last night. Am travelling up north, got issues at mom's house in Jersey.

CenTexDave
September 19th, 2015, 7:40 AM
Good luck in Jersey.

sojourner truth
September 19th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Well, like I figured, they started Gallardo last night and he sucked... as usual. The Rangers never could beat the Mariners anyhow, and last nights failure was about what I expected from them.

One good thing however was that head coach Bannister got tossed early in the game and his replacement didn't waste any time getting Gallardo out of the game. They need to recycle him back to 3A with Scheppers. But, once a few Rangers get a hit, they were done for the day and laid back losing the game 3-1..

Like I said, they should have saved a few runs for the Mariners.

mac
September 19th, 2015, 4:32 PM
Well, like I figured, they started Gallardo last night and he sucked... as usual. The Rangers never could beat the Mariners anyhow, and last nights failure was about what I expected from them.

One good thing however was that head coach Bannister got tossed early in the game and his replacement didn't waste any time getting Gallardo out of the game. They need to recycle him back to 3A with Scheppers. But, once a few Rangers get a hit, they were done for the day and laid back losing the game 3-1..

Like I said, they should have saved a few runs for the Mariners.

yep.....actually, it was kind of pathetic. they blew a good chance to show that they "were for real" and "here to stay"....ah well, kind of feel like a long suffering red sox fan sometimes....somehow, one of my sons in law scored some tickets for me and the wife on the 4 October game in the terrace. should be interesting and fun.....mac

sojourner truth
September 19th, 2015, 6:32 PM
Well, they are starting Hamels tonight, and they may stand a better chance. But only if they get their bats out of the bag.

Whenever Gallardo starts, we only half heartedly watch the game knowing that he will always give up 2 or 3 runs in the first few innings, and never make it past the 5th before he gets the hook. For some reason, Maddox has an unjustified affection for certain really bad pitchers on his staff and refuses to keep them out of games at times when he really has better choices.

Maddox has a definite training pattern where he tells his pitchers to nibble at the corners and only throw strikes as a last resort. And that is hard to do when they don't really have all that great control. Gallardo runs up full counts on just about every batter he faces, and then walks them half the time hoping they will go after ball 4 in desperation. He just plain stinks. But. Maddox likes him, so in he stays. At least until Bannister gets sick of him and retreads him back down to 3A, where he will stay for a month and then be right back in the lineup.

Every last pitcher in their bullpen has been up and back a few times this year already, and Maddox just can't seem to find any new talent. I blame their GM just as much as the managers. Just stubborn dedication to mediocre pitchers. Look how long they held on to Matt Harrison and Feliz before deciding it was time to cut them loose. And then Harrison gets sold, and goes back on the injured list as soon as he gets to his new club... He has Dez Bryant syndrome.

But, in the end, it doesn't matter because they simply can't beat the Mariners or As no matter how hard they try. And the Mariners and the As aren't doing all that well this year. In fact, I think they are both sucking the cellar.

CenTexDave
September 20th, 2015, 11:34 AM
It's amazing how some teams just seem to have no problem with certain opponents.
I'm an Indians fan. They are starting to make noise, but then go out and lose to the White Sux last night. :))

sojourner truth
September 20th, 2015, 3:29 PM
Well, they finally got the wunderkind Derek Holland back, and he has been underwhelming so far today. As have the Rangers bats, again.

But still, they have a magic number of 12 now, so there is still hope.

mac
September 20th, 2015, 4:00 PM
Well, they finally got the wunderkind Derek Holland back, and he has been underwhelming so far today. As have the Rangers bats, again.

But still, they have a magic number of 12 now, so there is still hope.

can't watch mlb when nascar is on. jeff is out front!.....mac

sojourner truth
September 20th, 2015, 6:22 PM
can't watch mlb when nascar is on. jeff is out front!.....mac

You didn't miss much... Holland gave away the first batch of runs, got yanked, and the bullpen finished the task by giving away the rest. The bats were silent, and all was normal in the world of the Rangers. As predicted.

mac
September 20th, 2015, 6:49 PM
You didn't miss much... Holland gave away the first batch of runs, got yanked, and the bullpen finished the task by giving away the rest. The bats were silent, and all was normal in the world of the Rangers. As predicted.a

shucks......

LauraA
September 22nd, 2015, 12:18 AM
It would be neat if both the Rangers and Astros make the playoffs.

The Cardinals already have :)

CenTexDave
September 22nd, 2015, 7:53 AM
The National League has pretty well been wrapped up for weeks. The American League is very interesting with 10-12 games left to play.

sojourner truth
September 22nd, 2015, 9:58 AM
Well the Rangers are playing another team they can't seem to beat, even though they are sucking swamp mud. And, they are playing on the left coast so it is a late game for me...

I will never understand how they can sweep the Astros and lose to Oakland, Seattle, and LA.

CenTexDave
September 22nd, 2015, 2:17 PM
The same way the Tribe came to life and played well against the Jays, Yanks and Royals, then fall to lowly White Sux. :)

LauraA
September 23rd, 2015, 10:53 PM
The National League has pretty well been wrapped up for weeks. The American League is very interesting with 10-12 games left to play.

I have always been curious as to how the fan base splits up here in Texas? Who tends to root for who or does it depend on the season they are having?

mac
September 23rd, 2015, 11:03 PM
I have always been curious as to how the fan base splits up here in Texas? Who tends to root for who or does it depend on the season they are having?

i think everybody in Texas is a Ranger fan....'cept those who live right in Houston or it's 'burbs.

kind of like how almost every body in Texas is a Spurs fan 'cept some small pockets 'round DFW, and Houston.....although I notice a few thunder fans up by the Red River.....

but you're right about how their seasons are going. Texas fans are an awful fickle bunch of lovers and won't hang with a loser with ED for very long..... that might be why OKC picked up some fans up on the Red.....mac

mac
September 23rd, 2015, 11:06 PM
The same way the Tribe came to life and played well against the Jays, Yanks and Royals, then fall to lowly White Sux. :)

are you watching the yankees and bluejays tonight...? missin' a good game if you're not....mac

mac
September 23rd, 2015, 11:12 PM
are you watching the yankees and bluejays tonight...? missin' a good game if you're not....mac

oops! all over. BJ 4-0 but it was a hell of a lot better than a 4-0 game.....

they did some pretty nice tributes to yogi too.....mac

CenTexDave
September 24th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Appears the Astros will get to play in Yankee Stadium for the wild card game. Hope they kick the Yank's butt. Minnesota is close on their heels. Another crap performance by
the Tribe last night and the Twins get the Indians again tonight and three more games next week. I noticed last night's Indians-Twins game had the Tribe playing a bunch of
no-names. Sat Brantley on the bench. Francona has quit for the year. :)

sojourner truth
September 24th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Somehow, the Rangers have managed to beat the As... which is a miracle in itself. Their magic number is now 8.

But I never underestimate their ability to snatch a defeat out of the jaws of victory either.

sojourner truth
October 1st, 2015, 10:59 AM
After last nights victory over Detroit, the magic number is now 2.... After that, anybodys guess.

sojourner truth
October 1st, 2015, 10:27 PM
Well, they just clinched a playoff spot in the post season tonight with a win over the Angels... One more win needed to clinch the division title of the AL West.

If they win tomorrow, or Houston loses, they are in like Flynn.

Ludwig
October 4th, 2015, 6:04 PM
Well, they just won the AL West Division!

sojourner truth
October 4th, 2015, 6:27 PM

Yep... Finally. We left the house right after Beltre hit that 2 run homer and put them ahead of the Angels. Someone at the Fall Festival had an Iphone and updated us just bas we were enjoying a funnel cake.

Now, we are going to have to see who they face in the ALDS...

Oh, and I always stick by my team no matter how they are doing. Even when they stink as bad as the Rangers did for most of the year.

You kind of have to learn how to be steadfast in the face of constant loss when you root for Ellison football anyhow.

Point is, when they do come around and win, it is twice as sweet as when they are "always in it" every year... Like the Cardinals usually are. And I do hope they get whupped early in the post season this year.

gvls78
October 4th, 2015, 7:20 PM
Please don't ever compare my Rangers to the the Ellison Eagles. The Eagles are just eternally cursed. As they should be. ROO DAWG!!

mac
October 4th, 2015, 7:28 PM

yep....but they dammed sure took their own sweet time about it and picked a funny way to get there. FINALLY!!!!!!....

think i'll stay in dallas tonight. traffic is unreal.....prob'ly take 2 hours to get out of town according to wbap...mac

CenTexDave
October 6th, 2015, 7:30 AM
Nice that both Texas teams get into the playoffs. Would be great if the Astros get rid of the Yankees.
Texas, having the third best record, will take on the Blue Jays with the Royals getting the winner of the wild card game.

sojourner truth
October 6th, 2015, 9:32 AM
Well, beating Toronto has never been one of the Rangers strong points.... And I am never secure when Houston is still in the mix... Another team the Rangers have a hard time beating.

There are a few teams that are really bad that the Rangers can't seem to best, and that would be Seattle, Houston, and the Angels.

No doubt it is going to be tough, and I almost wish it was over because the suspense is killing my wife.

gvls78
October 6th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Truth, I agree with you 100% on the Blue Jays. Seems like they spank our behinds with relentless fury lol. I do however disagree that Houston is a problem. Since they started the Silver boot series in 2001 Texas has taken 11 and only lost 4 to Houston. Head to head this year Texas has taken 13 out of 19 games. I just hope we can have a good showing against Toronto and with a little luck advance. GO RANGERS!

CenTexDave
October 6th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Goodbye, New York!!!!!!!!! :)):)):))

fchafey
October 7th, 2015, 6:44 AM
Good game last night and of course the announcers were pro Yankees until they realized it wasnt going to happen. I hate it when all the experts feel that unless it isnt Boston, New York, or California in the World Series, no one cares. My Mets have a tough road facing Kershaw then Greinke in the first two games. It is also great to see the Rangers, Royals, Cubs and Pirates in the mix too. Pirates or Cubs certainly have a good chance againt ST Louis this year.

sojourner truth
October 7th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Well, I thought the Rangers were through with the Astros... Well... Maybe not. It's up to KC now, and I don't look forward to facing the winner of that contest no matter who wins...

My wife would pay good money to anyone who would do physical harm to Altuve...(Just kidding). That is one tricky and lucky guy. And a constant pain in the Rangers ass.

One other thing that worries me is that the Rangers always stink after getting a few days off.. And even worse, they are starting that loser Gillardo... I would not mind seeing him go back to AAA ball... where he might be marginal. He is simply their worst starter in their lineup. And that is saying something. But, I have noticed a lack of Sheppers presence too lately. Maybe Madoox grew some brains as far as that guy is concerned.

CenTexDave
October 7th, 2015, 8:46 PM
Cubbies blanking the Pirates, 4-0, 6th inning. :)

sojourner truth
October 7th, 2015, 9:48 PM
Cubbies blanking the Pirates, 4-0, 6th inning. :)

Yep... Watching the game as we speak..

I wouldn't mind seeing the Cubs go somewhere in the post season. Especially if they whup the boys from St. Louie.

CenTexDave
October 8th, 2015, 6:14 PM
Rangers take game one!!!!! :)

fchafey
October 8th, 2015, 6:18 PM
Yea, that was great, they beat David Price, good for the Rangers. I am looking foward to the Astros-Royals should be good.

sojourner truth
October 8th, 2015, 7:12 PM
Gillardo wasn't nearly as bad as I figured he would be... He stunk, but not to high heaven. The best part was seeing them use the right folks out of the bullpen. I also note that lame ass Sheppers is nowhere to be seen... Good.

Beltre hurting his back was a bummer... My wife just saw him and said "Uh oh... looks like he is limping to first base with a stick up his butt". Hopefully some muscle relaxants and a good nights sleep will see him return.

Still, a win against Toronto is a big deal... I didn;t think they could do it.

My wife says "You're always a pessimist". And I just explain that that is true.... I am seldom wrong, and when I am it is a pleasant surprise.:)

Go Rangers.

gvls78
October 8th, 2015, 7:27 PM
Ok ok Truth!! I know you said you're a pessimist but come on. Gallardo stunk? Not only did he not stink he pitched a pretty damn good game. Five innings... 4 hits 2 runs 1 walk. I'll take that from any pitcher in the playoffs. Jesus

fchafey
October 9th, 2015, 7:19 AM
Rangers on at 1130 today. Good old fashioned daytime baseball. Got to love it, oh wait they are inside, oh well cant have everything. Mets on at 2030 local on the left coast. Baseball all flipping day.

CenTexDave
October 9th, 2015, 8:39 AM
The Astros take the first one from KC.
Would be neat to have the Astros and Rangers in the ALCS,
Would be even neater to see KC and St Louis put out early. Poor LauraA. :)

fchafey
October 9th, 2015, 9:00 AM
Dont know much about the Cubs. BUT when they won on 10/7 it has been 107 years since they won the world series and the game started at 7:08 which in military time is 1908 of course and yes the last year they won the world series.....so to quote the great Yogi Berra, "it is deja vu, all over again"....well it could be.

mac
October 9th, 2015, 10:28 AM
The Astros take the first one from KC.
Would be neat to have the Astros and Rangers in the ALCS,
Would be even neater to see KC and St Louis put out early. Poor LauraA. :)

wow.....no way did i think houston would win that game.....especially after the rain delay......

yep, a Texas Series would be fantastic......i just wish, i've always wished that one of them was in the national league so that the possibility would always be there that they could meet in the world series..... mac

fchafey
October 9th, 2015, 11:15 AM
If the Astro's make it to the WS they would be the first from both leagues.

mac
October 9th, 2015, 12:21 PM
If the Astro's make it to the WS they would be the first from both leagues.

the first.....what?.....mac

sojourner truth
October 9th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Ok ok Truth!! I know you said you're a pessimist but come on. Gallardo stunk? Not only did he not stink he pitched a pretty damn good game. Five innings... 4 hits 2 runs 1 walk. I'll take that from any pitcher in the playoffs. Jesus

He gave up the only 2 runs in the game on his watch... Even their bull pen (usually the game losers for the Rangers) didn't manage that.

And he has stunk all year. Just start looking at his full count efforts at the plate. Almost every batter goes to a full count, and Gillardo always has problems with a close out pitch. Plus, take a look at his pitch counts.... He can't make it past the 5th inning even on his best day. Usually has 60 pitches or more by the time the 3rd starts.

Not exactly a superstar. But then, the Rangers have had a cardiac pitching staff all year... Holland is not the same guy he was, Yu is on terminal leave, Harrison...gone because he stinks...

And their bullpen is horrible. I like Deetman and sometimes Dyson, but they can keep the rest on the bench. I know that is impossible, and if they can produce like they did last night, great. Tollison gives me heart attacks every time he comes out. It's like you never know what you are going to get... Good Tollison or miserable Tollison.

I suppose the thing that gets me the most is how long Maddox will leave someone doing really bad on the mound before yanking them out. Jeff Banister has been a lot better than Ron Washington of pulling a non performer out. Maddox has a tendency to have "favorites" who he seems to let get away with staying on the mound. And I am beginning to believe that Maddox is telling his pitchers to pitch to the full count... More an more of them are doing it instead of going after a batter right off the bat...

Well... except Hamels, who right now is getting hit like the Jays own him... Ace starter my foot.

fchafey
October 9th, 2015, 4:36 PM
the first.....what?.....mac
The Astros would be the first MLB team to make the world series from both leagues. Therre were in the NL when they lost to the White Sox.

CenTexDave
October 10th, 2015, 5:52 AM
Rangers win game 2!!!! Hope they can put it away on Sunday. I'm sure they don't want to face David Price again.
The Astros lose a tough one to KC. Had the lead and lost it.

sojourner truth
October 10th, 2015, 4:25 PM
Eagerly awaiting tomorrows game... Rangers have a hard time winning at home this year for some unknown reason... One more win against the Jays and the advance. It would really be nice to do it at home.

Not sure who they will start tomorrow. I heard it was Colby Lewis and normally I would be glad to hear that, but he has been looking fairly mediocre lately, and only able to last 5 innings before he needs to take a nap. He is getting pretty old.

CenTexDave
October 12th, 2015, 7:20 AM
Couldn't put it away yesterday. Win the next one. Don't want the series going back to Toronto for the final game.
Astros win, so now lead 2-1.

sojourner truth
October 12th, 2015, 7:58 AM
Well, they started the worst of their worst losing pitchers... I am not even vaguely aware of any reason they started who they did other than they may be trying to position starting pitchers in case they advance.

I am beginning to think that there is someone from Fan Deal and advertisers paying them to lose games so as to stretch the playoffs as long as possible. No money in a sweep after all...

Now, I want to see of they start Lewis tonight. If they don't, he may be hurt and they are not saying. But then, he hasn't been all that great lately either. And they are back into that non hitting mode again.

Wish I had a dime for every time I saw Choo, Fielder, and the other big money batters watching perfectly good pitches sail right on by. All that money the Rangers spent on these guys for their bats, and they are doing horrible. Fielder especially. And Choo needs to give the Rangers a refund on that $138 million they are giving him. Mediocre hitting, and he is the worst right fielder in the game.

And don't even get me started on Josh Hamilton... That boy needs to retire... 2 hits in his last 33 postseason at bats. Prior to that 0 for 31... No post season hits at all since 2013....... Pathetic.

One thing you may notice is that the guys who are getting the hits are the low budget guys in the lineup. Deshields, Venable etc....

mac
October 12th, 2015, 2:39 PM
Well, they started the worst of their worst losing pitchers... I am not even vaguely aware of any reason they started who they did other than they may be trying to position starting pitchers in case they advance..

but they're startin' holland tonight, right? should be a real real good game tonight....i think i heard earlier this morning that beltres will be back in....mac

fchafey
October 12th, 2015, 4:12 PM
Rangers and Astros are drowning right now. Sad, looks like things are headed back to KC and Toronto.

mac
October 12th, 2015, 6:02 PM
Rangers and Astros are drowning right now. Sad, looks like things are headed back to KC and Toronto.

you're right......it really is sad. i don't know how the astros are doing but the rangers really had a melt down. when i saw holland come out again for the 2nd inning i kind of figured we were toast. really too bad......mac

Ludwig
October 12th, 2015, 6:06 PM
It's a PROFESSIONAL sport. Ergo, it's all about the money. So, how much is the gate, TV/Radio rights, and concessions worth in Kansas City and Toronto? How much of that goes to the visiting team?

My guess is that there are about as many people in the game for the love of the game as there are peaceful Muslim in Syria.

CenTexDave
October 13th, 2015, 9:32 AM
They're screwed. Was hoping for both to be in the ALCS; now would be great just to see one of them make it.

sojourner truth
October 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Well, if they can get their bats out of the bag, and start someone other than their proven losers, they may stand a chance.

If you notice, they are back into the window shopping mode at the plate again. They have gone through this more than once this season. Especially their big guns. Just standing there like a house on the side of the road watching great pitches sail right by them.

Choo is especially good at this. They will watch 2 great balls go by and then have to swing at whatever the opposing pitcher tosses them to stay alive. Which they seldom do. That, and that they are stranding an awful lot of base runners too. If they can get a guy on 3rd with 1 out, they may get him in, but if they have 2 outs... forget it. It is almost predictable any more.

Still, they have a tendency to do much better on the road than at home for some reason this year. That is about the only hope I have for them any more.

CenTexDave
October 13th, 2015, 1:11 PM
Oh, come ST. Have faith. Josh Hamilton will probably hit 3 homers tomorrow and drive in 10 runs. :bluerofl

sojourner truth
October 13th, 2015, 1:25 PM
Yeah, right... And the totth fairy is going to leave me a million bucks under my pillow...

Josh was 0 for 30 until last night in post season play. Not having one single hit since 2013 or something.

Besides, everyone knows all you have to do is throw him low and outside and he will sucker swing at it... AKA=Easy out.

Ludwig
October 13th, 2015, 2:03 PM
I would prefer to not even see Josh in the line-up. He is done and should be put to pasture. Fielder is a disgrace and Choo needs to go home.

sojourner truth
October 13th, 2015, 9:17 PM
Spot on.... And the worst part is that they have some very good players on the sidelines watching. Maybe even worse is seeing how much they are paying Choo and Fielder to stand up there and strike out every time they come to bat. I know Choo made $138 million. Not sure about Fielder, but it has to be close.

As far as Hamilton... There was a reason the Angels let him go... And Texas was dumb enough to pick up his contract.

I fail to understand why they can let piss poor performers like Martin and a few others go down to the minors for a few months, and then bring them right back up to the bigs, and then watch them still stink... Their Pitching recruiter and coaches would have been gone a long time ago if I were running the show. Maddox has some sort of regimen he has them doing where they try and teach the pitchers to go to full counts and then get opposing batters to go after junk.... Most of the time, that doesn't work, yet they still keep trying it.

Roughned Odor is the only success story that has gone down and come back better than he was before.

CenTexDave
October 14th, 2015, 10:06 AM
The Cubs took care of business and eliminated St. Louis. Oh LauraA..........:)

sojourner truth
October 14th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Yeah... I was snickering at the end of that game myself... Glad to see they won't be there this year.

mac
October 14th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Yeah... I was snickering at the end of that game myself... Glad to see they won't be there this year.

well, i like the cardinals too....a lot. not as much as the rangers or even the astros but other than those, they're prob'ly my favorite team.....plus goin' to a game at St. Louis is a real real treat. Great people and great park.....mac

CenTexDave
October 14th, 2015, 11:02 AM
In these short series either team can win, as St. Louis, with baseball's best record this year, found out.
Today is the day the American League is waiting for. Hopefully both Texas teams advance.

mac
October 14th, 2015, 11:05 AM
In these short series either team can win, as St. Louis, with baseball's best record this year, found out.
Today is the day the American League is waiting for. Hopefully both Texas teams advance.

be still my heart! I'm not sure I could afford having both teams win....but my goodness, what a great thing that would be.....mac

sojourner truth
October 14th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Uh.... They are in the same American League... They can't both win.

They may have to play each other eventually, I think, but they can't both go to the series... Which is the goal of winning in baseball.

But then, I don't think they can beat the Astros again. They got lucky the first time, but they have a terrible record at beating them traditionally. Which is why my wife does a voodoo curse on Altuve before the games. For some reason, that little sucker is a Ranger jinx... Plus, they can't hit Astro pitching... especially if Keuchle is pitching. But then, they aren't hitting much of anything any more really.

Sometimes I think they are just worn out and ready to watch the end at the house with a cold beer.

mac
October 14th, 2015, 2:15 PM
Uh.... They are in the same American League... They can't both win.

that's what i meant. the playoff for league champion would and will be brutal in my family when and if it happens.... like i said in an earlier post, it would be neat if they weren't both in the same league... mac

fchafey
October 14th, 2015, 7:16 PM
Wow, really, 3 errors when all the momentum was thiers off of that odd, but correct call off of Choo's bat. I guess this is what the Mets would look like if they were from Texas. Yea, they are having a great year, but like ST, i too am waiting for the shoe to drop.

mac
October 14th, 2015, 8:03 PM
i'm in church. astros still 2 up?.....mac

sojourner truth
October 14th, 2015, 8:28 PM
I was in church myself when the news hit. When I got home, I got a good look at Elvis Andrus' error ridden 6th inning.

I pull my hair out every time this guy struts out on to the field. He is the cockiest, most irritating immature player on the team. Caught trying to steal 3rd when he knew he didn't have a chance.... Simply stupid and arrogant.

I am amazed the Rangers got to the playoffs at all. And I should be happy with that, but they have so many self inflicted problems and problem players right now. I can think of only about 4 or 5 I would consider as solid, talented, and balanced professionals. They have a lot of players who need to retire. And, they need to do something about their pitching. I still believe Maddox has a lot of the blame for that issue.

Losing the last 3 games in a row, after winning the first 2 outright is just... shameful. And all because of silly errors by Elvis. He had good reason to look bad during the post game interviews....

CenTexDave
October 15th, 2015, 6:54 AM
It has to go down as one of the most weird games of all time.

fchafey
October 15th, 2015, 8:00 AM
At least the Astros were sent home by a pithcer that retired 19 in a row after giving up the 2 run homer. Yes by the 7th inning Houston looked whipped. Understandable. The Rangers, now that was sad, had to laugh remembering how Dave said Texas is a football state.

CenTexDave
October 15th, 2015, 8:15 AM
I'd have to go back and look through results, but I cannot remember any team going up 2-0 on the road, then coming home and totally blowing the next three games.
Congrats, Rangers.

CenTexDave
October 15th, 2015, 8:19 AM
I was in church myself when the news hit. When I got home, I got a good look at Elvis Andrus' error ridden 6th inning.

I pull my hair out every time this guy struts out on to the field. He is the cockiest, most irritating immature player on the team. Caught trying to steal 3rd when he knew he didn't have a chance.... Simply stupid and arrogant.

I am amazed the Rangers got to the playoffs at all. And I should be happy with that, but they have so many self inflicted problems and problem players right now. I can think of only about 4 or 5 I would consider as solid, talented, and balanced professionals. They have a lot of players who need to retire. And, they need to do something about their pitching. I still believe Maddox has a lot of the blame for that issue.

Losing the last 3 games in a row, after winning the first 2 outright is just... shameful. And all because of silly errors by Elvis. He had good reason to look bad during the post game interviews....

I'm not surprised they got to the playoffs. Baseball has changed dramatically ever since they went on strike 20 years or so ago. No real dominant teams. Pitching, in general, totally sucks.
To me the game has gotten boring. I actually watched most of the Astros game yesterday - the first time I turned on a game this year.
And people say soccer is boring!! Of course that inning in the Rangers' game should be replayed on Comedy Central. :))

fchafey
October 15th, 2015, 8:32 AM
Cole Hamels had to be thinking WTf have I gotten into. Oh wait, they are giving me a gazillion dollars and he does have tha huge ranch in North Texas he now lives closer to. I felt bad for him. That whole infield should be fired. That throw from the 1ST Baseman was pathetic. The other retards took thier eyes off the ball to early.

sojourner truth
October 15th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Yep... It was a long ride with plenty of bumps. I suppose the fact that they made it to the post season this year, and came from a basement finish last year says something about the team. Maybe more about Bannister as a coach than the players.

Too many injuries, and this uncomprehensible devotion to players who underperform and overcharge for their horrible performance. Yu was AWOL all year, and he may have made a difference. Maybe not.

I never underestimate the Rangers ability to snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory.....

fchafey
October 15th, 2015, 6:20 PM
Fear not, I beleive I will be there with you later tonight when the Mets get squashed in Chavez Ravine.

CenTexDave
October 16th, 2015, 7:23 AM
Evidently the Mets didn't get your memo.
Toronto vs KC; Cubs vs Mets.
Should be two good series. Glad to see the Yankees and Dodgers will get to watch it on TV. :)

fchafey
October 16th, 2015, 8:17 AM
And I am very happy for that. I have been a Mets fan since I can remember. I had for along time the 1969 Mets Topps baseball cards. The whole team. I was afraid they would go away when Madoff wnet down and the Mets a ton of thier money tied up in him. I now have a reason to consume mass quanitities of Heineken druing the work week. I will be rooting for KC as well. Baseball is 'merican, not Canadien eh.

sojourner truth
October 16th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Well, I am glad to see that the Cards and Dodgers aren't going to be there at any rate....

Tug McGraw was one of my childhood heroes... Miracle Mets and all that.

I will watch until the last game of the year as after that it is Hockey and Basketball... neither of which I enjoy... at all.

When football is over, it is a long wait until spring.

CenTexDave
October 16th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Roger that, ST.
KC vs Chicago Cubs would be a great World Series. Even the Mets.
Baseball needs to end their regular season on Labor Day and then start the playoffs.
Would like to see a snowstorm like what happened in 1997. :))

mac
October 16th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Fear not, I beleive I will be there with you later tonight when the Mets get squashed in Chavez Ravine.

somehow, while surfing, i "trapped" myself into watching that mets/dodgers game last night BUT, it was one hell of a game.....i guess i'm still trying to recover from our Rangers and Astros catastrophe......mac

fchafey
October 16th, 2015, 1:00 PM
I am partial to the Mets true, but that was one heck of a game. I just thought the Dodgers would be able to crac the Mets pitching. Mets-Cubs, gonna be great.

gnatsum
October 17th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Of course that inning in the Rangers' game should be replayed on Comedy Central. :))

THAT inning gives the old phrase "seventh inning stretch" a whole new meaning....:))

CenTexDave
October 17th, 2015, 12:07 PM
More like "seventh inning strench".

CenTexDave
October 21st, 2015, 8:18 AM
Unless something happens quick, looks like the Mets and KC in the World Series.
Might be interesting.

fchafey
October 21st, 2015, 8:21 AM
Shhhh. The Mets havent won yet.....AND hopefully KC throws another 14 on the board. I really like seeing one of the smallest payrolls in baseball doing well. Not a Toronto fan. I did like the Expos back in the day.

Ludwig
October 21st, 2015, 8:22 AM
As a Rangers fan, I am proud of those guys. They had an excellent season and it was obvious that they enjoy playing their sport. It would have been nice to see them rise to the top of the AL but it was not meant to be. Now I will enjoy watching football, and then sleep through the Basketball season so I'll be well rested for next year's baseball season with the Rangers.

sojourner truth
October 21st, 2015, 8:38 AM
As a Rangers fan, I am proud of those guys. They had an excellent season and it was obvious that they enjoy playing their sport. It would have been nice to see them rise to the top of the AL but it was not meant to be. Now I will enjoy watching football, and then sleep through the Basketball season so I'll be well rested for next year's baseball season with the Rangers.

Whup 'em next year Lud....

Ludwig
October 21st, 2015, 8:43 AM
Whup 'em next year Lud....While victory is sweet, it does not matter as much to me as does how well they play the game.

Gramps
October 21st, 2015, 12:43 PM
My feelings exactly… Except replace every occurrence of "Rangers" with "Astros". :-)

sojourner truth
October 21st, 2015, 1:47 PM
Well, the win factor has a lot to do with many things. Talent being somewhat of a factor. But based on what I saw this year, they are a long way off from being what I consider talented.

The bucks they spent on big name hitters who performed mediocre at best could finance some 3rd world nations.

They have bullpen problems, starting pitching problems, injury problems, and their fielding is not all that great either.

If these guys can ever to manage to fire on all 8 cylinders at one time, they will be dynamite.

fchafey
October 21st, 2015, 2:26 PM
I was giving the Rangers a break, thinking they just had a bad inning, true at the worst time possible but they were second to last in fielding in baseball, only Oakland was worse with a .979. The Rangers, Phillies, Brewers and Pittbsburg were all tied with .981. The best, the Dodgers at .988. the Rangers also had the fifth most errors this year with 119. Oakland had the most with 126. That makes things rough.

CenTexDave
October 21st, 2015, 11:20 PM
Mets sweep the Cubs; Blue Jays stayed alive but trail 3 games to 2.

CenTexDave
October 23rd, 2015, 11:30 PM
It will be KC and the Mets in the World Series.
KC won a squeaker, 4-3, over Toronto tonight.

mac
October 24th, 2015, 10:32 AM
It will be KC and the Mets in the World Series.
KC won a squeaker, 4-3, over Toronto tonight.

a "squeaker"? no way! they won that sucker goin' away...mac

xzochye
October 24th, 2015, 11:44 AM
GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!

Night Owl
October 24th, 2015, 1:29 PM
GO METS!

just had to.:))

CenTexDave
October 24th, 2015, 4:37 PM
Cut her a break, Owl.
St. Louis Cards (best record in baseball) taken out of the playoffs early.
And Nebraska lost again today!! :))

xzochye
October 24th, 2015, 6:00 PM
Cut her a break, Owl.
St. Louis Cards (best record in baseball) taken out of the playoffs early.
And Nebraska lost again today!! :))

Could care less about Nebraska, Card are my second fav baseball team.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5851&stc=1

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2015, 1:35 PM
Good game last night. Hope the Royals can do it again tonight.

mac
October 28th, 2015, 1:56 PM
Good game last night. Hope the Royals can do it again tonight.

whole lot of talk in NY about possible pine tar being used by the royals.....supposedly the catcher had it on his shin guards and would transfer some of it to the ball befor throwin' it out to the catcher.....prob'ly be more about it on the pre-game tonight. i'm not at all sure it'd be illegal if it were even true.....the pitcher can NOT use any foreign substance but there's nothing about the catcher doing so.....but, you're right....great game last night/this morning.....deGrom's up tonight....should be another good one....mac

fchafey
October 28th, 2015, 3:10 PM
The Met's manager said it was nothing but what else is Joe Buck and his nit wit partner going to chat about. I am rooting for the Mets, of course, but last nights game was a goodone. started off odd, but other than that, good game.

CenTexDave
October 28th, 2015, 9:41 PM
Pine tar? Sure - shades of George Brett, a former Royal. :))

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2015, 6:59 AM
Royals take game 2, 7-1. Whoop!!!!!!!! :)

xzochye
October 29th, 2015, 7:25 AM
I'm pretty sure the Royals made a World Series record last night. They won not one but TWO World Series games in the same day!

fchafey
October 29th, 2015, 9:00 AM
I hope the Met's figure something out and quick. Could be a real short series...

Ludwig
October 29th, 2015, 9:40 AM
About time to close this thread and open a new on on the World Series, no.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Has any World Series lasted into November?
I remember that '97 Series - Florida and Cleveland - where they played
in sub-freezing temps in Cleveland. :))
Hope New York City gets a blizzard. :)

fchafey
October 29th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Baseball should be over Labor Day weekend, but of course it is all about the bucks. Got Hockey until June and that's nuts too.

CenTexDave
October 29th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Hockey and basketball.
Four professional sports playing now. Ridiculous.

fchafey
October 29th, 2015, 1:00 PM
They often talk about the small markets with proifessional sprots and the cost of a family of 4 to attend events. Unitl the Pirates started doing well, they were habitually third to the Steelers and Penguins. 200 dollars for a family of four to go see a game, park, eat a small meal, and maybe a souvenier. people would have rather gone to see the Steelers as an example. Cleveland has the same issues, except for the fact the Indians have kept their tickets low, people ther just dont have the money.

sojourner truth
October 30th, 2015, 9:14 PM
Rangers are saying that Mike Maddox, their pitching coach, will not be returning next year....

As nice a person as he is, I place a lot of their pitching problems on him, and the style of pitching that he tells his players to come up with during a game.... He loves trying to trick batters to go after bad pitches, and usually winds up with a lot of pitchers who give up walks after going to full counts.... And have 100 pitches by the 5th inning...

I think it was a good decision on everyones part here.

mac
October 30th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Rangers are saying that Mike Maddox, their pitching coach, will not be returning next year....

As nice a person as he is, I place a lot of their pitching problems on him, and the style of pitching that he tells his players to come up with during a game.... He loves trying to trick batters to go after bad pitches, and usually winds up with a lot of pitchers who give up walks after going to full counts.... And have 100 pitches by the 5th inning...

I think it was a good decision on everyones part here.

i pretty much agree with this. there were many a time when I felt like he was tryin' to be too clever by half. i honestly believe that if i'd've been a pitcher for him i'd've just had to have waved him off a couple of times, either that or just completely ignored him.....i've seen some wild pitches that i felt like were entirely maddox's fault and not the pitcher's......mac

CenTexDave
October 31st, 2015, 10:05 AM
Did you see the "chin music" the Mets' pitcher started the game off with last night? :))

fchafey
October 31st, 2015, 10:12 AM
Hello and welcome to New York....

mac
October 31st, 2015, 11:23 AM
sure would be neat if KC could steal one tonight and come back home to "WIN IT ALL!".......mac

CenTexDave
November 1st, 2015, 3:04 PM
KC now up 3-1. Would be nice to win it all at home, but would rather see them finish it tonight.

mac
November 1st, 2015, 3:28 PM
KC now up 3-1. Would be nice to win it all at home, but would rather see them finish it tonight.

yeow, it'd be great if they could win it all at home. hell, i could even possibly score a couple of tickets. i guess they're gonna start with harvey tonight but i don't expect that to last too long before they put degrom back it. lord have mercy, i'd just love to see degrom get whupped bad.....mac

fchafey
November 2nd, 2015, 5:41 AM
Well it wasnt deGrom that got whipped. All over and good for the Royals. A great team in late innings.Very suprised the Mets were in it to begin with. All quiet now until April.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2015, 8:50 AM
I watched most of it and thought that was a great game. Congrats to the KC Royals.

fchafey
November 2nd, 2015, 9:03 AM
No sour grapes here either, a very good series, very enjoyable, some really long games. Cueto will be gone, but that was a given when he was signed. Wouldnt be suprised to see him wearing pinstripes, that is what they do.

sojourner truth
November 2nd, 2015, 9:51 AM
Well, all that remains is to start heating up the hot dogs for spring now....

Night Owl
November 2nd, 2015, 10:02 AM
Cueto will be gone, but that was a given when he was signed. Wouldnt be suprised to see him wearing pinstripes, that is what they do.
Haven't watched or been to a game in years. This is one of the reasons why. Gone are the days when players are loyal to the team and the team has no loyalty to the players. It's all about $$$$ and I won't give them mine. Same goes for basketball, and football is well on its way.

when it costs hundreds of dollars to attend a game something is wrong.

fchafey
November 2nd, 2015, 10:06 AM
Unfortunately you are right. And hockey isnt far behind. 2 decent seats, (Stars vs Ducks), not super prime seats but good ones, parking, program, and some suds and munchies. 200 dollars.

CenTexDave
November 2nd, 2015, 11:55 AM
I agree, Owl. I only watched 2 games of this World Series. Think I watched 4 or 5 baseball games this entire season.
Basketball is really out of control. About all I will watch in regards to the NBA is a game 7 for conference or NBA champs.

sojourner truth
November 2nd, 2015, 1:45 PM
Well, they are still playing the 2014 NBA finals as we speak.:))

There are some sports that just go on too long.

Ludwig
November 2nd, 2015, 2:12 PM
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be football, and a time to baseball; a time to poker, and a time for crapps; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to cry, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to chunk rocks, and a time to gather rocks; a time to hug, and a time to turn your back; a time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to throw away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to STFU, and a time to speak up; a time to love, and a time to lust; a time of war, and a time of peace. I think that's somewhere in the Good Book. :)