PDA

View Full Version : The Chicken or the Egg

LauraA
August 9th, 2015, 12:32 AM
Of course they're fresh. I've got six hens and I get an average of four eggs a day. Three young hens should be laying by the end of the year.

Fiorina is smart. I wish she would have made the cut for prime time. But she probably will next time as Cruz fizzles.

Question, do you have to have a rooster with the hens to get eggs?

birdfriend
August 9th, 2015, 12:58 AM
Laura, you don't need a rooster with the hens to get eggs. However, if you desire baby chicks, a rooster is necessary. ;)

Mestral
August 9th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Laura, you don't need a rooster with the hens to get eggs. However, if you desire baby chicks, a rooster is necessary. ;)Now we are reduced to explaining the birds and the bees to LauraA.

Grammar Rules
August 9th, 2015, 3:03 PM
When is ignoring another member not ignoring her? When you comment on others' messages to her.

mac
August 9th, 2015, 3:13 PM
When is ignoring another member not ignoring her? When you comment on others' messages to her.

what? is this one of those "read it from the backwards" type things?....mac

Mestral
August 9th, 2015, 3:42 PM
I just felt like having a little fun with the mentally incompetent and integrity deficient people today.

LauraA
August 9th, 2015, 6:41 PM
Laura, you don't need a rooster with the hens to get eggs. However, if you desire baby chicks, a rooster is necessary. ;)

Thank you, that is interesting. So the hen has the eggs which she just lays. If no one picks them up, then they just never become chicks, only rotten eggs? However, if you have a rooster and I am assuming they have some sort of chicken sex, then you will get an egg that turns into a chick. How do you tell the difference when you are gathering eggs?

Rick
August 11th, 2015, 4:04 PM
Question, do you have to have a rooster with the hens to get eggs?

I was meaning to address this over the weekend, but was busy, then other stuff came up.

Now we are reduced to explaining the birds and the bees to LauraA.
I don't fault people for not knowing this. I didn't know it until I read a book and online forums on how to raise chickens in the backyard when I bought my first four chickens ten years ago.

Our Priest was at the house a couple months ago and he was surprised that we didn't need roosters for the hens to lay eggs and he is very intelligent, but being from the city (Pittsburgh), he had no need to know.

If you have roosters, egg production will decrease since they are being chased around all day. We don't plan to hatch our own, so we don't want roosters. I buy the chicks from Cove feed or D&D feed.

The three young ones are Golden Penciled Hamburgs.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5722&stc=1
Kind of a different breed, but beautiful in color. They are smaller, and are very aware of predators, but supposedly decent egg producers. 200-225 white eggs per year.

I think I have three production reds, they lay around 300 brown eggs per year.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5724&stc=1

Two buff Orpingtons, they lay 200-280 brown eggs per year.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5723&stc=1

And one Brown Leghorn, had two, but one got killed by a predator one night. She is the only survivor of the slaughter when I lost a total of seven last year. They used to sleep on top of the old coop, and either a raccoon or a fox got to them. She lays 220-300 white eggs per year. But she is getting older, so her production is dropping a bit.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5725&stc=1

As you can tell, my chickens are like my pets that produce great tasting food and control the bug population. They really aren't much trouble, and are fun to watch.

mac
August 11th, 2015, 4:09 PM
Thank you, that is interesting. So the hen has the eggs which she just lays. If no one picks them up, then they just never become chicks, only rotten eggs? However, if you have a rooster and I am assuming they have some sort of chicken sex, then you will get an egg that turns into a chick. How do you tell the difference when you are gathering eggs?

you hold it up to a light (called a candler) and you can tell if egg has been fertilized or not......

or you can see the "blood clot" in the egg if the egg lands right in the skillet....mac

Mestral
August 11th, 2015, 4:41 PM
I don't fault people for not knowing this. I didn't know it until I read a book and online forums on how to raise chickens
in the backyard when I bought my first four chickens ten years ago.
Our Priest was at the house a couple months ago and he was surprised that we didn't need roosters for the hens to lay eggs and he is very intelligent, but being from the city (Pittsburgh), he had no need to know.You are correct, and it wasn't really fair, but I thought the joke was funny :)

If you have roosters, egg production will decrease since they are being chased around all day.
The trade off, as I understand it, is the rooster will provide protection against certain predatory birds
(or maybe it was parasitic birds, cukoos and cowbirds for example) since the rooster is territorial by nature.
I know a guy with about 50 hens and one rooster, and that is why he has the rooster.

kantwin
August 11th, 2015, 5:27 PM
As you can tell, my chickens are like my pets that produce great tasting food and control the bug population. They really aren't much trouble, and are fun to watch.
You have to supplement their diet, though, right? I mean, bugs is not all they eat, is it?

Rick
August 11th, 2015, 5:52 PM
I feed them "layer" feed, with cracked corn mixed in.

The cardinals really like it too. I see them in the coop eating it all the time...lol

sojourner truth
August 11th, 2015, 9:36 PM
Now, if you had some cattle, we could hear a good cock and bull story....:)

Night Owl
August 11th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Now, if you had some cattle, we could hear a good cock and bull story....:)
Nope, he said he doesn't have a cock.:))

sojourner truth
August 12th, 2015, 11:33 AM
If you have a good line of bull, you don't need one.

Ludwig
August 12th, 2015, 1:34 PM
Mac, if one is missing a (see post 14 above) due to service (dis)connection, and if that is the only injury, what, if any percentage of disability can be awarded by the VA? Just wondering. Do they consider it the same as a leg or arm?

Mestral
August 12th, 2015, 4:21 PM
As you can tell, my chickens are like my pets that produce great tasting food and control the bug population.
They really aren't much trouble, and are fun to watch.
More towards an "on topic" question, how well do they handle fire ants?
Those little things are the bane of my existence here in Central Texas.

Grammar Rules
August 12th, 2015, 7:14 PM
We need more of the endangered horned toads. I think they're the only native critter that eats fire ants.

sojourner truth
August 12th, 2015, 7:34 PM
Amdro in all the right places....

In order to actually keep your yard free of the critters, you have to broadcast spread Amdro or a similar bait across the entire yard and give the ants 48 hours of dry time (no watering or rain, as that neutralizes the chemicals in AMdro).

I actually get very good results by broadcasting Bayers Grub bait across the yard twice a year. Not only does it work when watered in, but it has managed to keep my yard ant free all year. It isn't cheap though, but it is cheaper than Amdro.

Rick
August 12th, 2015, 8:34 PM
More towards an "on topic" question, how well do they handle fire ants?
Those little things are the bane of my existence here in Central Texas.
I haven't seen them scratching at the mounds, and I have read that they don't like them.

kantwin
August 12th, 2015, 8:38 PM
There are plenty of fire ants in SE Alabama but I have not had any in my yard yet. I don't do anything to keep them at bay, either.
Now, sugar ants, that's a different story. Plenty of those. But, they don't bite, so I tolerate them for the most part.

just2cents
August 12th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Mac, if one is missing a (see post 14 above) due to service (dis)connection, and if that is the only injury, what, if any percentage of disability can be awarded by the VA? Just wondering. Do they consider it the same as a leg or arm?

I am not a VA rater but what I see in 38 CFR is below. (of course one can also get paid for scars and such also)

38 CFR Book C, Schedule for Rating Disabilities

7520 Penis, removal of half or more 30%

1Review for entitlement to special monthly compensation under ยง3.350 of this chapter.

Note: In cases of the removal of one testis as the result of a service-incurred injury or disease, other than an undescended or congenitally undeveloped testis, with the absence or nonfunctioning of the other testis unrelated to service, an evaluation of 30 percent will be assigned for the service-connected testicular loss. Testis, undescended, or congenitally undeveloped is not a ratable disability.

Grammar Rules
August 13th, 2015, 5:31 AM
The wife should have a claim for collateral loss of service.

just2cents
August 13th, 2015, 9:19 AM
The wife should have a claim for collateral loss of service.

Maybe the VA will issue a vibrator?
Of course my wife said she would be happy with just half of mine!!

Grammar Rules
August 13th, 2015, 9:51 AM
Half of a vibrator? :));)

Imagine
August 13th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I was meaning to address this over the weekend, but was busy, then other stuff came up.

I don't fault people for not knowing this. I didn't know it until I read a book and online forums on how to raise chickens in the backyard when I bought my first four chickens ten years ago.

Our Priest was at the house a couple months ago and he was surprised that we didn't need roosters for the hens to lay eggs and he is very intelligent, but being from the city (Pittsburgh), he had no need to know.

If you have roosters, egg production will decrease since they are being chased around all day. We don't plan to hatch our own, so we don't want roosters. I buy the chicks from Cove feed or D&D feed.

The three young ones are Golden Penciled Hamburgs.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5722&stc=1
Kind of a different breed, but beautiful in color. They are smaller, and are very aware of predators, but supposedly decent egg producers. 200-225 white eggs per year.

I think I have three production reds, they lay around 300 brown eggs per year.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5724&stc=1

Two buff Orpingtons, they lay 200-280 brown eggs per year.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5723&stc=1

And one Brown Leghorn, had two, but one got killed by a predator one night. She is the only survivor of the slaughter when I lost a total of seven last year. They used to sleep on top of the old coop, and either a raccoon or a fox got to them. She lays 220-300 white eggs per year. But she is getting older, so her production is dropping a bit.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=5725&stc=1

As you can tell, my chickens are like my pets that produce great tasting food and control the bug population. They really aren't much trouble, and
Is your property inside city limits? Looks interesting.

Rick
August 13th, 2015, 1:01 PM
No, we have a small 20 acre "ranch" on Oakalla Rd, south of Killeen. My wife boards horses and boards one for someone else.

just2cents
August 13th, 2015, 2:16 PM
Half of a vibrator? :));)

saves on batteries.

Mestral
August 13th, 2015, 3:51 PM
There are plenty of fire ants in SE Alabama but I have not had any in my yard yet. I don't do anything to keep them at bay, either.
Now, sugar ants, that's a different story. Plenty of those. But, they don't bite, so I tolerate them for the most part.
If your sugar ants are the Red variety (actually orange) they are the reason you don't have fire ants. When I was
in AL (15 years ago) the only variety of Fire Ants I saw there were the less aggressive varieties. Which makes sense,
the environment there is a little more "ant friendly" that it is here (In 2011, it got so dry we didn't have any fire ants
in many areas).

Out on the firing range, the large orange "Red Ant" is the only non "fire" ant we still have any of. The rest are gone.

mac
August 13th, 2015, 4:04 PM
If your sugar ants are the Red variety (actually orange) they are the reason you don't have fire ants. When I was
in AL (15 years ago) the only variety of Fire Ants I saw there were the less aggressive varieties. Which makes sense,
the environment there is a little more "ant friendly" that it is here (In 2011, it got so dry we didn't have any fire ants
in many areas).

Out on the firing range, the large orange "Red Ant" is the only non "fire" ant we still have any of. The rest are gone.

the wife's kitchen is being inundated this year with pissants (prob'ly what you all call honey ants but in Coleman County, they're called pissants"......mac

Mestral
August 13th, 2015, 4:36 PM
the wife's kitchen is being inundated this year with pissants (prob'ly what you all call honey ants but in Coleman County, they're called pissants"......macI have them here in Cove, but it has been years since I seen any on the Ranges.

mac
August 13th, 2015, 5:24 PM
I have them here in Cove, but it has been years since I seen any on the Ranges.

when was the last time you saw a horny toad out that way, Mestral. Manning mountain used to have a slew of them but i don't think there's nary a one out there now.....mac

Mestral
August 13th, 2015, 5:40 PM
I am pretty sure I have seen at least one. I will check with a couple of my co-workers who are better at spotting wildlife than I am.

Ludwig
August 13th, 2015, 5:49 PM
The "horny toad" is a victim of the Fire Ants. The Fire Ants drive out the Harvester Ants (large red ants) that are the food of the "horny toad" and the Fire Ants eat the eggs and the hatchlings of the "horny toads."

kantwin
August 13th, 2015, 7:24 PM
in many areas).

These are little ones. Maybe 3/16" long, tops. I call them sugar ants, maybe they're the pissants that mac mentioned. Not orange. Not red. Dark grey/black. I've followed trails of them down the edge of the driveway for over 100'. They'll go a long, long way to get food and water. Almost never see their colony/mound.

Mestral
August 14th, 2015, 12:24 PM
That is a red sugar ant you are talking about. I haven't seen them since I moved to the south. I think the pissants mac mentioned
are even smaller than those, and kinda brown in color (not sure about that).

My boss, who actually is a lot more in tune with nature than I am, says it has been a long time since he saw a horned lizard,
but that he has heard they have begun making a come back.

LauraA
August 14th, 2015, 1:59 PM

Don't worry Grammar, I have had him/her on ignore for a year. Nothing they say can bother me.

LauraA
August 14th, 2015, 2:01 PM
Amdro in all the right places....

In order to actually keep your yard free of the critters, you have to broadcast spread Amdro or a similar bait across the entire yard and give the ants 48 hours of dry time (no watering or rain, as that neutralizes the chemicals in AMdro).

I actually get very good results by broadcasting Bayers Grub bait across the yard twice a year. Not only does it work when watered in, but it has managed to keep my yard ant free all year. It isn't cheap though, but it is cheaper than Amdro.

Is it safe for dogs?

Night Owl
August 14th, 2015, 4:04 PM
Is it safe for dogs?
Naw, it shouldn't bother you.