PDA

View Full Version : Getting Close

CenTexDave
July 29th, 2015, 8:16 AM
High school football is just around the corner.
This may be the year Shoemaker finally beats Cove. Shoemaker appears loaded; Cove needs to find a QB now that Manny Harris has graduated.
We'll get an idea of how decent Cove is early on - murderous pre-district schedule of A&M Consolidated, Lake Travis, Killeen and Schertz Clemens.

RooDawg
August 3rd, 2015, 6:38 AM
Killeen not pre-district. First district game.

CenTexDave
August 3rd, 2015, 8:59 AM
Sorry. Guess I forgot they moved up to 6-A.

JohnKilleen
August 3rd, 2015, 9:25 AM
Midway will be top dog. Will be interesting to see how Belton does. They seem to be underachiever. Should be Midway, Cove, Belton Shoemaker....but in hs football anything can happen, that's what keeps it interesting,.

CenTexDave
August 3rd, 2015, 9:31 AM
I have no idea what Cove has for a QB. We all saw what happened with Manny Harris got hurt on the first play against Lake Travis - disaster. Lake Travis beat them and the next week Round Rock shut them out.
So if Cove can't come up with a good QB this year I look for more of the same.
The Dawgs' glory years are long gone.

JohnKilleen
August 5th, 2015, 9:45 PM
Might be nice to see Cove and Killen back in 5a (old4a). They might be able to compete better. Temple sure did well last year

CenTexDave
August 6th, 2015, 6:20 AM
Temple would have done well in 6-A. Sure gave Aledo fits in the championship game.
I don't think Cove will ever drop back down. Too much expansion and building of new subdivisions equals more population equals more kids.
They'll continue to be competitive, but don't see them beating Midway anytime soon. Even if they do, they are pretty well doomed by
playing the likes of DeSoto in the first round of the playoffs.

RooDawg
August 8th, 2015, 9:41 PM
CenTexDave...first round of the playoffs no longer includes Desoto...first round includes teams from the Garland area.

CenTexDave
August 9th, 2015, 9:26 AM
Thanks. Now teams from our district might have a chance. I remember Cove playing Garland and Garland Sache, and beating them badly. Of course that was when Cove had good teams.:)
Just read the QB race in Cove is no longer a race. One of the two quit the team to concentrate on baseball. Cove will be a running team this year. You only get a Manny Harris once every 20 years or so.

xzochye
August 14th, 2015, 10:08 PM
High school football is just around the corner.
This may be the year Shoemaker finally beats Cove. Shoemaker appears loaded; Cove needs to find a QB now that Manny Harris has graduated.
We'll get an idea of how decent Cove is early on - murderous pre-district schedule of A&M Consolidated, Lake Travis, Killeen and Schertz Clemens.

The news the other day said that SHS may have one of the best defenses in the state this year. That's great but I hope we have a good offense too!

CenTexDave
August 15th, 2015, 6:09 AM
Might be the year they take down Cove.

stevendub
August 16th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Shoemaker new uniforms

stevendub
August 16th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Harker Heights new unis

stevendub
August 16th, 2015, 11:40 PM
And get a load of Ellison's new storm trooper unis..the helmet's gonna be white too BTW

stevendub
August 16th, 2015, 11:46 PM

Killeen High's

Ludwig
August 17th, 2015, 8:50 AM
Who paid for those new uniforms? Why did we need to get new ones? Never mind, I know the answers.
There seems to be something missing from this collection of pictures. I can't quite put my finger on it but i"m vaguely disturbed.

CenTexDave
August 17th, 2015, 8:58 AM
Guess they won't use helmets? :)

stevendub
August 17th, 2015, 9:53 AM
Shoemaker & Heights are gonna have the same helmets they had last year..let me find the new pics for Ellison & Killeen's new ones, hold on...

stevendub
August 17th, 2015, 9:58 AM

Here goes Killeen's, white with maroon. Not sure if they'll still keep the other maroon lids & just have 2 helmets, but..

stevendub
August 17th, 2015, 10:07 AM

And the Eagles.

CenTexDave
August 17th, 2015, 10:24 AM
But the big question is....................can they play and win?

Ludwig
August 17th, 2015, 12:02 PM
It should be about playing well. Winning ought to inconsequential. Nice when it happens.

cnjbond
August 17th, 2015, 1:56 PM
Who paid for those new uniforms? Why did we need to get new ones? Never mind, I know the answers.
There seems to be something missing from this collection of pictures. I can't quite put my finger on it but i"m vaguely disturbed.

I wonder if we noticed the same thing missing... :)

Ludwig
August 17th, 2015, 2:16 PM
I wonder if we noticed the same thing missing... :)
A possibility. What did you find missing?

cnjbond
August 17th, 2015, 2:38 PM
A possibility. What did you find missing?

A certain hue of pigmentation.

Ludwig
August 17th, 2015, 2:49 PM
A certain hue of pigmentation.
Having reviewed the pictures again, I must agree. There is a strong correlation between the darker pigmentation and selection to High School American football. Of course it could also be reflective of the photographer's bias or artistic vision... wanting a greater contrast to make the uniforms stand out.

stevendub
August 18th, 2015, 9:14 AM

Good question as it is always..we'll find out! I got Midway, Cove, Shoemaker & Killeen High (they & Belton are gonna duke it out for that last spot I feel) in the playoffs if you press me to make a prediction right now.

I actually think Ellison will have a good offense, IDK about their defense and team size..it just seemed like teams were bigger and stronger than them last season.

Heights is a wildcard..they're gonna pretty much have a brand new offense. Got 3 kids fighting for a QB spot.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2015, 10:28 AM
I think you are right on about the top 4. Would be nice to see Midway stumble, but they have a top notch program lately.
Read in the paper today that Jack Welch thinks his defense has really improved. I sure hope so - after seeing they gave up 70 in the
first round of the playoffs they only have one way to go, and that is up. Will have a better ideas of how good they are after they have
their annual scrimmage against Abilene.

xzochye
August 18th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Good question as it is always..we'll find out! I got Midway, Cove, Shoemaker & Killeen High (they & Belton are gonna duke it out for that last spot I feel) in the playoffs if you press me to make a prediction right now.

I actually think Ellison will have a good offense, IDK about their defense and team size..it just seemed like teams were bigger and stronger than them last season.

Heights is a wildcard..they're gonna pretty much have a brand new offense. Got 3 kids fighting for a QB spot.

I would love to see Cove and SHS flip spots.

On a different note, if SHS defense is as good as predicted they may take Midway again this year. 2 years ago was the lowest scoring game ever! 3-7 SHS.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Your two wishes may come true. Will be an interesting season. Good luck to all. I just wish whoever wins the conference makes a deep run into the playoffs - regional finals or more.
Without one of our teams going that deep many lose interest in it.

Ludwig
August 18th, 2015, 4:03 PM
This season is the only one within the next few years where Shoemaker has a chance of making a name for itself. Their storied defense rests on the shoulders of Seniors who will all be gone next season and I don't see their like coming up through the ranks.

stevendub
August 18th, 2015, 5:46 PM
Hard to argue with that. A kid like Jones is one of those once-in-a-decade type of players, and Thornton's really good too. Don't get em a whole lot in Killeen anyway.

CenTexDave
August 18th, 2015, 6:45 PM
Cove has an offensive lineman who is in the ESPN Top 300. Already committed to Baylor. It's been a long, long time since Cove had an outstanding big man
on the offensive line. Matter of fact, was 11 years ago when we had two all-staters on there.

stevendub
August 28th, 2015, 6:11 PM
Killeen-Leander on 91.3 FM
Cove-Consol on Cove's radio station (101.7 I think?)
Heights is playing Waco, so I think the ESPN Central Texas station is doing that one.

gnatsum
August 29th, 2015, 12:44 PM
101.7 has been running ads on air recently that identifies them as "the voice of the Temple Wildcats" and the UMHB Crusaders. Not sure who is carrying Cove games.

Thought KTEM was the voice of the Wildcats...or at least KPLE.

CenTexDave
August 29th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Some station like 107.3 used to carry Cove. Not real sure because I can't pick it up anymore.

fchafey
August 30th, 2015, 8:47 AM
Try 106.9 for Cove games. I think Big Joe is still doing ads on 106.9. It is called Shooter fm. 92.9 is the same station you pick up east of Nolanville.

CenTexDave
August 30th, 2015, 9:20 AM
Thanks. Used to be you could also pick the live broadcast up on KDH Pressbox, but don't know if they still do that.
But the way the Dawgs got rolled Friday night, doubt I will bother listening. :))

xzochye
August 30th, 2015, 11:20 AM
That's the right channel. I was listening to it Friday when ol Coach Welch cut in.

CenTexDave
August 30th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Did he say how he got his butt kicked? :))

mac
August 30th, 2015, 4:23 PM
Did he say how he got his butt kicked? :))

'scuse me? who?...when?.....where?......mac

CenTexDave
August 30th, 2015, 7:19 PM
Friday night in College Station. A&M Consolidated blew out Cove's Dawgs.