PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii

Brian McCall
June 5th, 2009, 3:00 AM
I've been kicking back in Waikiki for the last week and haven't even bothered to go onto the internet until now. I got my ass kicked, picked up, tossed around, and slammed mercilessly on the sand by the waves on the north shore today, so I'm a little sore right now.

Will be posting pictures on Flickr soon. Would put them up here but I don't feel like editing them down to size and all that.

CenTexDave
June 5th, 2009, 4:48 AM
Couldn't ride the big ones at Sunset Beach??

TexMexYum
June 5th, 2009, 6:02 PM
I'm jealous!! And I look forward to the pictures.

Brian McCall
June 6th, 2009, 6:58 AM
Couldn't ride the big ones at Sunset Beach??

That's where I was! Sunset, Ehukai beach, Waimea. There were some pretty big waves out there, unusual for this time of year I was told.

Today was a bit more relaxed, went snorkeling out on Diamond Head. Saw a shark, just a small white tip shark, but it still has teeth.

Brian McCall
June 6th, 2009, 6:59 AM
I'm jealous!! And I look forward to the pictures.

I don't have a whole lot because I didn't take my camera everywhere I went, especially if I was heading to the beach. But I do have some good ones of diamond head and a few of Waimea.

CenTexDave
June 6th, 2009, 9:19 AM
Get off Oahu and check out Maui, Hawaii and Kauai.
If you get to Maui, check out Lahaina. Go to Ocean Activities Center and tell my brother Mike I said "hi".

Brian McCall
June 6th, 2009, 9:24 AM
Get off Oahu and check out Maui, Hawaii and Kauai.
If you get to Maui, check out Lahaina. Go to Ocean Activities Center and tell my brother Mike I said "hi".

I'd love to, but my time has been limited to some extent. Plus my flight leaves today back home. ... :(

I might be moving out here. Checked out some positions that are opening up next year after I get back from Kuwait. So I'd have plenty of opportunity then. I really like it here.

CenTexDave
June 6th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Everybody likes it there. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Spent 4 years there with the Army at Helemano. Too expensive and too restrictive.

THEMEANOGRE
June 6th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah Brian, just buy a piece of property that is for sale, because you like the house. Then find out the house belongs to someone else that wants to continue living there.

Brian McCall
June 6th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah Brian, just buy a piece of property that is for sale, because you like the house. Then find out the house belongs to someone else that wants to continue living there.

Huh?

Brian McCall
June 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Well, it's been fun, but the sun is coming up now and there's stuff to do. Be back on Sunday!

stormy
June 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Everybody likes it there. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Spent 4 years there with the Army at Helemano. Too expensive and too restrictive.

Oh, the cane spiders at Helemano.......eeek! Also lived there 2 1/2 years. Loved Hanauma Bay...usually crowded, but I loved snorkeling there. I'm definitely in agreement Dave; nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there again. I sure do miss the hamburger stew from Brandy's, Yummy Korean BBQ downtown Honolulu near Ala Moana! (Worked in the Pan Am building downtown). And the way they cook red snapper there..MMMMMM

QueenB
June 8th, 2009, 9:47 AM
Pictures!!!!???? Have a great time :-)

engteach64
July 16th, 2009, 11:03 PM
We went to Waikiki. My husband was there courtesy of the Army (for training) and I got to go over a weekend. We didn't have much time, and it rained quite a bit...typical vacation for us. If it is raining you can bet we are there on vacation. Anyhow, we went to Shark Cove for snorkeling, and loved the view from our hotel.

Anyone have any recommendations for a longer trip we plan to take for our 25th anniversary? What other islands are better, or are they? Places to go, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2009, 4:49 AM
Any of the islands are better than Oahu.

BillK
July 17th, 2009, 6:24 AM
We went to Waikiki. My husband was there courtesy of the Army (for training) and I got to go over a weekend. We didn't have much time, and it rained quite a bit...typical vacation for us. If it is raining you can bet we are there on vacation. Anyhow, we went to Shark Cove for snorkeling, and loved the view from our hotel.

Anyone have any recommendations for a longer trip we plan to take for our 25th anniversary? What other islands are better, or are they? Places to go, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Maui is wonderful - although the traffic is getting a lot more now. But - some things to see and do there are:
1. snorkel trips to Molokini Crater
2. Haleakala (active volcano)
3. helicopter rides
4. Black Rock
5. Hana (great day trip)
6. shopping
7. Kaanapali harbor
8. Wailea
9. The beaches on the north side are GREAT to watch kite surfing and surfing in general (Near Paia - I think that was it)
10. black sand beaches
11. turtle city (you can snorkel out just off shore and see huge sea turtles swimming around)

If you want "seclusion" Kuai is probably the best - but cell phone coverage there is limited.

Hawaii (the big island) is nice on the developed end and the volcano is INCREDIBLE - but after that is simply boring for me.

Several islands you cannot go to unless you are hawaiian. Molokai has a leper colony on it.

Bill

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2009, 7:48 AM
Lanai used to be pretty neat, as it was off the beaten path and was, at one time, owned entirely by Dole Corp.

Night Owl
July 17th, 2009, 8:11 AM
Lanai used to be pretty neat, as it was off the beaten path and was, at one time, owned entirely by Dole Corp.

Didn't he run for president?

:):):)):))

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2009, 9:23 AM
That was his 4th cousin, sixth removed.