PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

Ludwig
March 20th, 2015, 8:36 AM
Ft Bragg, NC. Imagine this: there’s been a lot of robberies in your neighborhood. Your husband isn’t due home so you set the house alarm, but you’re still feeling nervous. That chirping of the alarm as someone enters your house jerks you from your sleep, so you lean over and grab your pistol from your bedside drawer. And as someone starts to turn the handle on your door, you aim, you fire …

… And accidentally shoot your husband, home to surprise you with breakfast in bed.

Oops.

Funny but also tragic. This is a true event. Follow these simple rules:

1. Keep your firearm in a safe place.

2. Take a safety class. If you are going to own a firearm, learning how to use if safely is key.

3. Never shoot what you can’t see.

Source: http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2015/03/milspouse-shoots-husband-home-to-surprise-her.html#ixzz3UvrWWMRw
SpouseBUZZ.com

Rick
March 20th, 2015, 10:24 AM
The tragedy is that we have to live like because of a way too lax justice system.

Glad her husband is going to be fine and no charges against her.

Mestral
March 20th, 2015, 10:50 AM
I read the article and comments and was pleasantly surprised at it not being full
of anti-gun-blather and out of the 15 comments, only three idiots.

CenTexDave
March 20th, 2015, 10:52 AM
While a firearm is the last line of insurance and defense, a good dog would help prevent that described above. Fido would know the difference.

Mestral
March 20th, 2015, 12:55 PM
True enough. In addition to knowing when to not shoot, I noticed one slight, but important, mis-wording.
They quoted the NRA (I think) as saying to keep your finger off the trigger, and should have said place
it along the pistol frame. When the adrenal glands start doing their thing, along the frame is far
better than just backed off 1/2 an inch from the trigger.

A while ago there was a discussion and I said I would like to see a requirement for people to take a course
in firearms safety, and little stuff like that is why. There was a scene from the movie "Pulp Fiction" that
would make excellent training material. (Yeah, its ok to laugh now, if you saw the movie and remember)

mac
March 20th, 2015, 12:59 PM
While a firearm is the last line of insurance and defense, a good dog would help prevent that described above. Fido would know the difference.

I doubt if many of us have attack dogs. my little Jack Russell might lick you to death but that would be all.....actually, I don't think I want an attack or guard dog in the house or yard.....mac

Mestral
March 20th, 2015, 1:27 PM
I doubt if many of us have attack dogs. my little Jack Russell might lick you to death but that would be all.....actually, I don't think I want an attack or guard dog in the house or yard.....mac
Dave meant that you would know by the way it barks, whether the person was friend or stranger.
But that isn't foolproof. My dog didn't recognize me the first time he saw me in my winter coveralls.

CenTexDave
March 20th, 2015, 1:33 PM
Your dog must not have had much of a sense of smell. Or hearing.
I had a yellow lab that knew when I drove home and turned onto the street. He could differentiate between the hum of various engines I guess. Of course he was a big goof - would wag his tail if a stranger came to the house. Years later I had a German Shorthaired Pointer - he knew the difference immediately between friend or foe. And was plenty big enough to do damage.

Mestral
March 20th, 2015, 2:04 PM
Your dog must not have had much of a sense of smell. Or hearing.
Both of these are true enough.
And he sleeps pretty well, unless there is a storm or Arty is talking.

The crazy part was that I had put the cold weather gear on two rooms away.
He must have thought a stranger had managed to slip in while no one was watching,
and wow, did he have panic in his bark :)

One of the things the article mentioned was that sometimes
we get a watch dog that sleeps better than we do.

sojourner truth
March 20th, 2015, 4:04 PM
I have an attack wife....:))

Seriously... when she even gets up to go to the head in the middle of the night, she wakes me up and lets me know just so such an incident doesn't happen....

My son in law, when they were staying here, had a bad habit of coming in through the door to the house when he worked a graveyard shift. We came to an understanding one night when he unlocked the door and was looking down the wrong end of a 45.

The deal was, ring the bell and I'll wake up and let you in. That was a much better solution that eating a rather large chunk of lead. I may have lost a little sleep, but I felt better about that arrangement than the thought of planting one between his eyes. It worked out just fine.

Mestral
March 20th, 2015, 4:14 PM
I'm teaching my wife to go into ambush mode, and doing it the way I am teaching her, I will
know if she is armed and ready to shoot, before I cross the line. That way I don't get shot.
(It's something I can see that others won't be able to.)

Mestral
August 24th, 2015, 4:50 PM
True enough. In addition to knowing when to not shoot, I noticed one slight, but important, mis-wording.
They quoted the NRA (I think) as saying to keep your finger off the trigger, and should have said place
it along the pistol frame. When the adrenal glands start doing their thing, along the frame is far
better than just backed off 1/2 an inch from the trigger.

A while ago there was a discussion and I said I would like to see a requirement for people to take a course
in firearms safety, and little stuff like that is why. There was a scene from the movie "Pulp Fiction" that
would make excellent training material. (Yeah, its ok to laugh now, if you saw the movie and remember)

In addition to keeping your finger off the trigger and being sure of your target, don't get careless how you re-holster after drawing.
http://www.usacarry.com/man-dies-trying-reholster-appendix-carry/

Every single day, thousands of concealed carriers put their pistols and revolvers into appendix carry holsters and it’s a rare day when one of them discharges. There are a number of factors not known in this case – namely whether his finger was anywhere near the trigger, the type of holster he was using, etc.

If and when that information is made available, we’ll be able to see if this is a danger posed by the configuration, by the equipment, by the operator — or the perfect storm of all three.

In my opinion, the safest position to orient your inside the waistband concealed carry holster is likely to be at the 3 o’clock position. This is directly on your right hip. For most carriers, this means the weapon’s barrel is always facing away or at the very least down to the ground.

The next biggest threat is reholstering itself. While a high-retention holster is great for securing a firearm, it can sometimes pose an issue with reholstering if it’s too tight and constricts on the trigger group. That’s why it’s always important to test out retention and reholstering with an unloaded pistol first. If the trigger is ever at risk during that testing phase, loosen up the gaskets or do whatever you need to do to not jeopardize that trigger.

Lastly, practice drawing and reholstering with an unloaded pistol. This will give you an idea of how much give is both in the firearm itself and the holster. If you are not confident you can reholster a loaded firearm into your IWB holster – change holsters. You want a holster that has good retention and protects the trigger group.
Of course, if you don't keep one in the chamber (something several of those on this forum advise) you avoid this kind of negligent discharge.
One of the commenters had this to add:

Luke's comment regarding the type of holster is true as is his observation regarding us not knowing all the facts. One critical thing for concealed carry is holster design. A prudent concealed carry practitioner will invest significant money in buying a carry holster. The holster should have a reinforced top or be of a rigid kydex design to allow one-handed reholster without collapsing the holster. As Luke points out, a CCW guy or gal should practice frequently with an UNLOADED pistol. Every time you draw a pistol, practice moving off line and scanning for threats. Then, once you are satisfied that there are no threats, reluctantly, very reluctantly, slowly and deliberately reholster the unloaded gun. Practice this drill often so you will attain muscle memory. As they say in the military, "Train hard; fight easy." When things get dicey, we default to our training. By raising our training routine, we are raising our default.