PDA

View Full Version : Anti Drone Gun

kimchee
February 26th, 2015, 11:03 AM
any suggestions? thinking about a 12 long barrel with #4 shot

ClickaNerd
February 26th, 2015, 11:52 AM

I would like to get the camera feed all the way up to the point of blast.

Make for a cool advertisement!

mac
February 26th, 2015, 12:04 PM

why #4 shot? do you have any idea how many holes in your pattern you have when you use #4s? no, no, kimchee. better to use 7 1/2 or even 9s and a full choke or xful if you have screw-ins or a cutts.....mac

mac
February 26th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I would like to get the camera feed all the way up to the point of blast.

Make for a cool advertisement!

what blast?.....mac

Ludwig
February 26th, 2015, 4:27 PM
They use a 10 gauge in Kansas to bring down geese. That would probably do well in this application.

mac
February 26th, 2015, 4:29 PM
They use a 10 gauge in Kansas to bring down geese. That would probably do well in this application.

are you sure a 10 gauge is still allowed for geese in Kansas, Ludwig?......mac

IronErnin
February 26th, 2015, 5:04 PM
I would say it depends on the size of the drone. A shotgun would have little effect on something the size of a Predator.

Ludwig
February 26th, 2015, 5:18 PM
are you sure a 10 gauge is still allowed for geese in Kansas, Ludwig?......mac

I don't know. I was speaking of my experience which seems recent but is in truth 44 years old. :)

CenTexDave
February 26th, 2015, 6:10 PM
I remember a training exercise we went through in 6th Cav Bde many years ago - trying to down an aircraft using M-16's. A drone/model airplane was flown and it was sized so that it appeared to be about 1000 meters away at a fairly low altitude. It was almost comical. After a couple of passes the plane hadn't been touched. Only when I had the troops break into groups of ten or so and had one group fire just ahead of the plane's nose, another group at the plane's nose and the third group at its midsection were we able to down it. Must have wasted a good 5000 rounds of 5.56 ball that day. :))

kimchee
February 26th, 2015, 9:23 PM
did same thing with 50 cal on tanks - lotta fun - not much effect until really learned to track - a smooth mount really helped - the power turret in the m60a2 was good - sights sucked.

fchafey
February 27th, 2015, 9:00 AM
I remember a training exercise we went through in 6th Cav Bde many years ago - trying to down an aircraft using M-16's. A drone/model airplane was flown and it was sized so that it appeared to be about 1000 meters away at a fairly low altitude. It was almost comical. After a couple of passes the plane hadn't been touched. Only when I had the troops break into groups of ten or so and had one group fire just ahead of the plane's nose, another group at the plane's nose and the third group at its midsection were we able to down it. Must have wasted a good 5000 rounds of 5.56 ball that day. :))

Pathfinder Platoon, say summer of 1986?

Mestral
February 27th, 2015, 9:35 AM
It all depends on the drone.
I can design a weapon that will easily bring down any specific one,
but it would be mostly ineffective against any other.

12 ga 24 inch barrel, firing automatically, 3inch magnums at 4 rounds per second,
Barrel is going to get really hot really fast.
You would probably need some pretty heavy shot to even reach the "Raven,"
which is one of the smaller military drones.

If you want kill a "Predator" drone with that, you would need to be within range of the runway :)

CenTexDave
February 27th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Pathfinder Platoon, say summer of 1986?

Those guys were crazy in a good way. :)

IronErnin
February 27th, 2015, 11:45 AM
It all depends on the drone.
I can design a weapon that will easily bring down any specific one,
but it would be mostly ineffective against any other.

12 ga 24 inch barrel, firing automatically, 3inch magnums at 4 rounds per second,
Barrel is going to get really hot really fast.
You would probably need some pretty heavy shot to even reach the "Raven,"
which is one of the smaller military drones.

If you want kill a "Predator" drone with that, you would need to be within range of the runway :)

Just get a 90mm Skysweeper! They were designed to reach into the stratosphere. And fully automated.

mac
February 27th, 2015, 12:10 PM

we did the same thing at Graf with a 20mm on an M114.......1st pass was maggies drawers but after that it was katy bar the door......mac

Mestral
February 28th, 2015, 6:23 AM
Just get a 90mm Skysweeper!
EMP device would work too,
but I don't have the budget for either :)