PDA

View Full Version : Dog Food

xzochye
June 2nd, 2009, 7:44 AM
Dr. Buckley,

There has been a lot of talk about dog food on here recently. If you can not afford to buy an expensive brand like IAMS what would be the next best? What ingredients should I look for? Currently I am using either Purina or Pedigree. I buy a 40lb bag and it lasts me for a month. I am feeding a yellow lab and a rat terrier/red boarder collie mix. Ofcourse, if the more expensive brand would last 2 months instead of 1 I would buy it. But I think that is wishing for a bit much..lol

skipster
June 2nd, 2009, 8:43 AM
My vet told me if I was not buying Science Diet or IAMS or other premium dog food that Purina was the next best.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
June 2nd, 2009, 8:53 AM
There are so many options out there for dog food. And many really good options. And you don't necessarily have to break the bank to provide good nutrition for your dogs. I categorize foods like this:

1. Prescription Diets (Purina, Science Diet, others) - these are prescribed by a vet to help in the treatment or prevention of a specific disease condition

2. Premium Wellness Diets (ProPlan by Purina, Science Diet, Iams, Waltham, others) - these are typically a higher priced but higher quality ingredient foods that are offered in many different varieties for many different life stages

3. Quality Grocery Store Diets (Purina One, Pedigree, others) - these are available at grocery stores, specialty pet retailers, warehouse stores, etc. and are less expensive but meet AAFCO standards and are typically pretty good foods

4. Grocery Store Diets (Off Brand or Store Brand) - these are usually much less expensive and usually compete with the quality diets at the grocery store

5. Bargain Diets (Ol Roy and others) - extremely low cost diets available typically at super centers - often have digestibility issues and very low cost ingredients

6. Boutique Diets (available on internet and special order) - these are usually expensive, hard to find, not found consistently and may require you to order on-line and have shipped - quality is OK but often lack much testing or food trials to document claims

Wow! I hope I haven't bored you to tears but you can see the dog food biz is big bidness!!!!

Given your situation, I would opt for Purina One or Pedigree (which you are already doing) and select one and stick with it. Try not to change brands or varieties if you don't have to. As for ingredients, the first item listed on bag will be the ingredient that is found in the diet in the highest quantity. Some lead with corn and others lead with meat or meat by-products. I like the diets that lead with meat or meat by-products as they better fit the diet that a dog would eat if it were his/her own decision.

Finally, always select a food that matches the life-stage of your dog. Puppy food for up to 12 months of age, maintenance or adult food until 7 years then a senior or geriatric diet when over 7 years of age. Also, work with your vet to determine how much to feed if there are weight issues. Many times weight issues can be resolved without resorting to an expensive prescription diet. Call on your vet, that's what we do!

I think you are already making good decisions concerning the health of your dogs. Keep it up and never hesitate to give me a shout if you have any questions.