PDA

View Full Version : Political Promises

Dagobert II
November 5th, 2014, 6:09 PM
Now Abbott must be held to his promises. In order to do that it may be necessary to replace Strauss as speaker of the Texas House of Representatives. He has heretofore prevented open carry legislation from going to the governor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9trXUF0jNH4

Mestral
November 6th, 2014, 5:38 AM
I'll have to look up this Strauss character.

Mestral
November 7th, 2014, 3:28 PM
From the Wikipedia page on him:

Joseph Richard Straus, III, known as Joe Straus (born September 1, 1959), is the current Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives. He represents District 121, which comprises northeastern Bexar County, including part of San Antonio, Texas, and several surrounding communities.

We need to get rid of the RINO's, and this may be one we need to get rid of.
But be advised, we may see a smear campaign against anyone trying to unseat him,
saying they are antisemitic. It has happened before.

From the little I have seen on him, I can't tell if he really is a RINO, or just didn't
want Perry to be the one that saw the open carry legislation.

mac
November 7th, 2014, 3:32 PM

But be advised, we may see a smear campaign against anyone trying to unseat him,

From the little I have seen on him, I can't tell if he really is a RINO, or just didn't
want Perry to be the one that saw the open carry legislation.a

whoa! what a minit when did Strauss become a Republican?.......I was in the hospital 7 through 14 Sept. but didn't know he switched.......mac

Mestral
November 7th, 2014, 3:35 PM
a
whoa! what a minit when did Strauss become a Republican?.......I was in the hospital 7 through 14 Sept. but didn't know he switched.......mac
I could do more research (I think I have family in that district), but I am sure that is what the Wiki page said about him.

CenTexDave
November 7th, 2014, 4:58 PM
A Republican from Bexar County?? :bluerofl
Has to be a misprint.

BobKerley
November 7th, 2014, 5:29 PM
Strauss is a liberal Republican who gives committee chairmanships to moderates he can control and democrats. Srauss holds up conservative legislation and will not let bills come out of committee for discussion or a vote. Jimmy Don Aycock got a lot of campaign money from Strauss. A couple of years ago, I went down to 121st district to help campaign for conservative Dan Beebe to beat Strauss. Dan Beebe closed the gap but wasnt able to beat him.

Mestral
November 29th, 2014, 5:20 AM
I discussed it with my contact in San Antonio, and he said the same thing about Strauss. We couldn't think of any reasonable measure other than possibly scheming behind the scenes to do a sudden letter writing campaign to make his desk look like the court room in a particular scene in Miracle on 34th street, where they brought in 12 bags of mail and dumped them on the desk.

Mestral
January 11th, 2015, 5:35 AM
Pretty much what we already knew, but he seems to be rubbing it in our face.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/01/10/texas-democrats-join-cheerleading-team-for-straus/

That long shot became even more distant last November, when a series of carefully coordinated letters spaced every few days apart over a few weeks were sent to reporters, including Breitbart Texas. These letters contained endorsements for Straus from other State Representatives, phrased in remarkably similar language: the Representatives declare themselves “conservative Members of the Texas House” who are “proud to support the re-election of Speaker Joe Straus,” who they claim “will be decisively re-elected because he encourages members to vote in their districts’ best interests and because he is a fair, principled leader.” (Our previous Breitbart Texas report compared the letters to the plot of the movie, The Manchurian Candidate.)

The real question is why was this letter sent? Straus did not need the votes. Many assumed that he would get the vast majority, if not all, of the votes from the Democrat Members. As the minority party, they do not have the numbers to elect one of their own as Speaker, but a number of them have admitted that they prefer Straus, who they view as more moderate, over his predecessor, Rep. Tom Craddick (R-Midland) or another conservative challenger.

For these Democrats to step forward now, and expressly state that they are supporting Straus because of “bipartisanship,” is all but admitting that what Straus’ critics claim is true: that he allows the Democrats more influence and power over the legislative process and the language of bills than they would normally have given their minority party status. In this light, the Democrats’ letter can be viewed as a show of power by Straus and his allies, showing that they have a seemingly invincible number of votes such that there is no need to even pretend to make any efforts to appease the anger of the conservative grassroots.

Grammar Rules
January 11th, 2015, 9:19 AM
The letter might have been sent because there were some members who reportedly wanted to oust him because he is a Jew.

Mestral
January 11th, 2015, 9:48 AM
The letter might have been sent because there were some members who reportedly wanted to oust him because he is a Jew.
Hmmm, maybe.
I tend to forget someone is a Jew, unless they are an observant Jew,
and then only because I might make allowances for them. In scheduling, for instance.

I want to oust him because he is liberal.

Grammar Rules
January 11th, 2015, 10:00 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12/09/christian-conservative-replace-jewish-speaker-texan-pols-say/

There was quite a bit of controversy a few years ago. This article includes some quotes from some Texans who consider the terms Conservative and Christian to be interchangeable.

Mestral
January 11th, 2015, 10:25 AM
The two terms are by no means interchangeable, but the majority of Christians
(excluding pretenders) are Conservative. This sometimes leads to confusion.

The article specifically points out that it isn't about his being Jewish, but about his being liberal.

Over the past month, in a spate of e-mails and political pitches, conservative opponents of incumbent Speaker Joe Straus
have said they want him replaced not because of his Jewish religion, but because of his betrayal of Republican principles.

Grammar Rules
January 11th, 2015, 10:54 AM
That's a talking point, but I can assure you that when a politician says he wants to replace Strauss with a Christian, then excuses it by saying what he really means is a conservative, the message is heard very differently in the Jewish community.

No matter. Strauss prevailed, and we shall see what's next for Texas. OC will be the law, Strauss or not. He's not stupid.

mac
January 11th, 2015, 12:29 PM

wow! talk about something coming out of left field! where the hell did that come from and......what occasioned it?.....on today, of all days!mac

sojourner truth
January 11th, 2015, 3:33 PM
Who cares if he's a Jew... And if one person does, it doesn't mean all of us who don't care for RINOS feel that way.

I could care less if he mates with goats. If he's a liberal, he needs to be gone.

Grammar Rules
January 11th, 2015, 3:47 PM
wow! talk about something coming out of left field! where the hell did that come from and......what occasioned it?.....on today, of all days!mac

Mac, why is today a special day when we can't mention the possibility of anti-Jewish sentiments against a Texas Speaker of the House?

Now Abbott must be held to his promises. In order to do that it may be necessary to replace Strauss as speaker of the Texas House of Representatives. He has heretofore prevented open carry legislation from going to the governor.

I'll have to look up this Strauss character.

want Perry to be the one that saw the open carry legislation.

a

It didn't come out of left field, mac. The move to oust Speaker Joe Straus was in 2010. Then Mestral mentioned that a renewed move might be accused of being antisemitic. I don't know when or even if he switched parties. He's been a Republican for as long as I've been paying attention, certainly much before 2010.

Night Owl
January 11th, 2015, 4:00 PM
He is a liberal. The R behind his name is short for RINO.

mac
January 11th, 2015, 4:10 PM
Mac, why is today a special day when we can't mention the possibility of anti-Jewish sentiments against a Texas Speaker of the House?

beats me.....just seems like bad timing is all. a large part of the world is in mourning today over the Jews who were just slaughtered in their grocery store in Paris.....or just on the outskirts of Paris......ma

Grammar Rules
January 11th, 2015, 4:24 PM
Mac, all the more reason to be aware of what appears to be anti-Semitism wherever it arises.

As far as how long Straus has been a Republican, Wikipedia says

Straus has previously served on the Management Committee of the Bexar County Republican Party, as a precinct chairman, and on numerous campaign committees for federal, state, and local candidates. He served in the administration of U.S. President George H. W. Bush from 1989 through 1991 as Deputy Director of Business Liaison at the U.S. Department of Commerce and also under Ronald W. Reagan as Executive Assistant to the Commissioner of Customs. In 1986, he was U.S. Representative Lamar Smith's campaign manager in Smith's first race for Congress.[2]

I don't know if he was ever a democrat, but you'll recall Perry ran Gore's campaign before he switched over. All the Bell County officials jumped to the GOP back then except Vada Sutton. ;)

mac
January 11th, 2015, 4:35 PM
Mac, all the more reason to be aware of what appears to be anti-Semitism wherever it arises.

As far as how long Straus has been a Republican, Wikipedia says

I don't know if he was ever a democrat, but you'll recall Perry ran Gore's campaign before he switched over. All the Bell County officials jumped to the GOP back then except Vada Sutton. ;)

Dagobert II
January 11th, 2015, 5:02 PM
If we're gonna make it religious, I'd like to see Rabbi Dovid Bendory replace Strauss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP8DIB7T2eQ

Grammar Rules
January 11th, 2015, 5:23 PM
That's unlikely, since he's not a Texas resident.

mac
January 11th, 2015, 6:08 PM
)

personally, I've never understood this "anti-jew" business.....I mean, it just ain't never made a lick of sense to me and I flat out don't understand it.......and I've know folks who for some reason other didn't like jews but I would ask them why......they really didn't know. to tell the truth, if there's anyone on here who does know why some don't like jews as a race or group, i'd 'ppreciate it if you would tell me why they don't......what's their problem with them?......mac

sojourner truth
January 11th, 2015, 7:51 PM
I've never understood it either... But then, I never understood the whole black/white business until I went into the army. I still don't understand it. But I sure got a good dose of it real fast. Where I grew up, we didn't have many blacks, and the few that we did have were just not taken any different than anyone else was. There were an awful lot of Mexicans, but we all got along great too... Racial stuff never was an issue until I hit basic training, then it came to the surface.

Far as democrat/republican is concerned with this guy, he has come to understand that you don't get elected in Texas unless you claim to be a republican, for the most part unless you come from one of just a handful of districts. Sort of an Olympia Snow republican. Acts like a duck, quacks like a duck etc.... He is a liberal, which is bad enough... And needs to be replaced soon. If that's even possible.

Grammar Rules
January 11th, 2015, 7:59 PM
As strong and effective as Perry was at advancing his agenda, do you really think he wanted to have OC introduced? And that mean old secret liberal Straus wouldn't put it forward? Mwaaahhahahaha.

Perry has been planning the run for president for at least ten of the last fourteen years. If he thought OC was an issue that would help him nationwide, I think he would have pressured Straus to bring it.

If he ever did so, I'd be interested in reading about it.

Mestral
January 12th, 2015, 4:51 AM
personally, I've never understood this "anti-jew" business.....I mean, it just ain't never made a lick of sense to me and I flat out don't understand it.......and I've know folks who for some reason other didn't like jews but I would ask them why......they really didn't know. to tell the truth, if there's anyone on here who does know why some don't like jews as a race or group, i'd 'ppreciate it if you would tell me why they don't......what's their problem with them?......macmac, I understand it perfectly. Israel is the Apple of God's Eye (Zechariah 2:8), and therefore Satan puts animosity towards them in the hearts of evil men. There have even been many in the Church who, not understanding the writings of Paul, and the warnings of Jude, allowed that damnable heresy into their Church.

Mestral
January 12th, 2015, 4:53 AM
As strong and effective as Perry was at advancing his agenda, do you really think he wanted to have OC introduced? And that mean old secret liberal Straus wouldn't put it forward? Mwaaahhahahaha.
Perry has been planning the run for president for at least ten of the last fourteen years. If he thought OC was an issue that would help him nationwide, I think he would have pressured Straus to bring it.
If he ever did so, I'd be interested in reading about it.All that might be true, but the bills died on Straus's desk, so he gets credit for killing them.

sojourner truth
January 12th, 2015, 9:57 AM
And if anyone should be hollering about political promises... I was trying to think of all of the ones his highness made when he was running...

"bout the only one he kept was Obamacare, and that alone should make us glad that he hasn't kept many more...

Now, he is proposing 2 years of "free" college for every American... Oh really?

Guess who is paying for that..... It isn't the "government"... The reason for this move?

During the mid term elections, the new trend was for college age people to vote republican. The libs thought they had that market in the bag.... Now, they are scrambling to win it back.

I can only suppose that the sudden change of heart with this particular demographic is that along with a higher education, they now have enough intelligence to figure out who is going to have to pay for all of this pie in the sky BS the left keeps giving away to the shiftless.