PDA

View Full Version : Microwave Installation

fchafey
September 17th, 2014, 8:46 PM
Good evening, the microwave in our house went the way of all good things. The wife bought a new one and thought she could install it (she is pretty handy). Well she cant, can someone please recommend a reliable handy man that she can hire and pay to install it? thank you, I would do it but am deployed. Thank you, Fred.

sojourner truth
September 17th, 2014, 9:03 PM
I got a new one too when we went stainless in the kitchen.. It really isn't that hard to do, but nearly impossible if you don't have someone to hold it up while someone else drills the holes and puts in the retaining bolts.

I used WB painting, because the owner is a Christian, and a friend. Not sure what he may charge you, but he had my new one in in about 10 minutes.

You might want to see if the new one came with a template for the mounting holes that go into the backsplash area.

I am assuming that you have an "over the stove" type of unit.

fchafey
September 17th, 2014, 9:10 PM
Thank you, our old oven was 14 inches in hieght, all the new ones are 15 inches in height. I told the wife that is what did you in, if both ovens were 15 inches you could have drilled the two holes through the template in the top cabinet, lifted the oven to the lip, had two screws in you mouth and as you held the oven to the wall, started the screws and washers with the other hand. She is leery about drilling the new bracket into the wall. I will have her call them. We do almost everything ourselves. It is okay to have to pay once in a blue moon to have somehting done. Thank you again, Fred.

JoAnn Purser
September 18th, 2014, 9:57 AM
Killeen Service Center

254 634-6335

sojourner truth
September 18th, 2014, 10:03 AM
We got lucky as the holes for our new oven were identical to the ones in the old one... On the backsplash part any way. The ones in the cabinet overhead were a different story, and it only took Tom a few seconds to drill new ones.

On the backsplash part, if you have tile to drill through, it helps to have someone that knows how to use a concrete drill bit, and can do so without shattering the tile.

Good luck.

fchafey
September 18th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Thank you both for that, WB Paint didnt answer and she remembered BJ home repair from when she worked for Mr Hollinger years ago, or its BJC home repair, anyway they are coming over this morning to knock it out for her. Thank you all again. I really appareciate it. it is funny when you deploy people tell you if you need something just call, well she did and all three said they were busy and really didnt know how to do that. It is ok, I have had 4 deployments as a DAC and everyhthing covered but this, go figure. This is a good twon with good people and it beats living in Jersey.

CenTexDave
September 18th, 2014, 2:21 PM
Hell, anything beats living in NJ. My ex is from there, and I know all about it. :)