PDA

View Full Version : I hate the Longhorn network

LauraA
September 4th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Ok, I will start this by saying I am not a Texas graduate. I graduated from University of Louisville and went to grad school at University of Nebraska. So granted, I am not part of the Longhorn community.
However, I watched the first (and last) game I will ever watch on this network. I watched the UT vs UNT game and the whole game is basically a discussion of UT football. They barely discussed the opposing team. It was the worst sportscasting I have seen. Mike Shannon drunk calling a St. Louis cardinals game was better than this.
My question is why would someone want to watch such a one sided conversation about the game. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of both teams is what makes it interesting. I will never watch another game on this network. If they play on ESPN or network TV, ok, but not this network.
:soapbox Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now, lol.

cnjbond
September 4th, 2014, 12:30 PM
So "Longhorn Network" didn't give it away for you? :)
To be honest, I'm not sure if there are many tu fans that tune in to that conference killing network.

sojourner truth
September 4th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Yeah... It's like trying to watch a Rangers game on FOX sports southwest..

The team is so far in last place that even the DisAstros look like superheroes, but to listen to the 2 Rangers announcers, the Rangers are the greatest thing since pushup bras.

And I think that the way they always talk up things is actually jinxing the team... As sure as they say "And the winning run is coming to the plate" the batter will hit into an unassisted triple play... Every time.

Then, the after game show has nothing that passes for reality of what happened on the field.. I always wind u[p asking myself if these guys are actually watching the same sorry game I was watching.

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I have DirecTV and I don't get The Longhorn Network. I'm not sure if they offer it or not, but am certainly not going to up my subscription to some obscene amount of $$ just to get it. I do get the Big Ten network and while most around here could care less about those teams I watch it once in a while and is good - the announcers aren't the greatest like on ESPN or ABC, but they are fair.
Remember, Laura, The Longhorn Network is what really lead to the breakup of the Big 12 - Nebraska and Colorado and A&M left because UT was so selfish. It could have been The Big 12 Network and probably would have been real good.

LauraA
September 4th, 2014, 2:23 PM
I have DirecTV and I don't get The Longhorn Network. I'm not sure if they offer it or not, but am certainly not going to up my subscription to some obscene amount of $$ just to get it. I do get the Big Ten network and while most around here could care less about those teams I watch it once in a while and is good - the announcers aren't the greatest like on ESPN or ABC, but they are fair.
Remember, Laura, The Longhorn Network is what really lead to the breakup of the Big 12 - Nebraska and Colorado and A&M left because UT was so selfish. It could have been The Big 12 Network and probably would have been real good.

If UT wasn't being so greedy you would still have A&M, Nebraska, and Missouri. You would have a traditional game between UT and A&M yearly. Instead an already wealthy program, just wanted to get wealthier and broke up the conference to do it. We do subscribe to the Big Ten network because we NEVER miss a Nebraska game :)

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2014, 2:44 PM
Lucky Nebraska. They don't play Ohio State this year. :)

kantwin
September 4th, 2014, 5:37 PM
Right after it launched, TWC here in SE AL got the SEC network.
One of the 23 or so HD channels we do get. :(

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2014, 5:59 PM
That I would be interested in getting. Real good football.

Grammar Rules
September 4th, 2014, 8:45 PM
UT killed the conference, and they didn't do themselves any favors. I don't have it either and won't bother.

beaver
September 4th, 2014, 8:51 PM
That I would be interested in getting. Real good football.

Time Warner in Killeen now has the SEC Network.

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2014, 8:54 PM
Just checked DirecTV - they have it too. :)

LauraA
September 14th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Is it wrong that I get so much joy out of Texas losing? They lost to UCLA today. I think I have lingering resentment over their arrogance in the Big 12. Nebraska is playing ridiculously late. Who starts a football game at 9:30 p.m.?

Night Owl
September 14th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Is it wrong that I get so much joy out of Texas losing? They lost to UCLA today. I think I have lingering resentment over their arrogance in the Big 12. Nebraska is playing ridiculously late. Who starts a football game at 9:30 p.m.?
Like I get so much enjoyment out of all the dems when they lose elections in Texas.

CenTexDave
September 14th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I don't even know who Nebraska played yesterday, but a 9:30PM start was probably 7:30PM on the west coast.
But no biggee - the Buckeyes rebounded yesterday to the tune of a 66-0 blowout!! :) And USC lost - the team I love to hate.

Night Owl
September 14th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I don't even know who Nebraska played yesterday, but a 9:30PM start was probably 7:30PM on the west coast.
But no biggee - the Buckeyes rebounded yesterday to the tune of a 66-0 blowout!! :) And USC lost - the team I love to hate.
Who did Zero State U play yesterday? But I guess a win is a win.:)) I agree about USC but they fall right behind the real Zero U from Norman.

CenTexDave
September 14th, 2014, 2:38 PM
Zero U played Tennessee and pretty well dominated them. Hate to say it, but the Sooners look good.

Grammar Rules
September 14th, 2014, 2:43 PM
So many zeroes! Confusing!

Night Owl
September 14th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Zero U played Tennessee and pretty well dominated them. Hate to say it, but the Sooners look good.
Yea, but it was Tennessee.

CenTexDave
September 15th, 2014, 6:05 AM
But it was a Southeast Conference team. Don't you know they are all unbeatable?? Just ask one of their fans. :)

kantwin
September 15th, 2014, 6:48 AM
But it was a Southeast Conference team. Don't you know they are all unbeatable?? Just ask one of their fans. :)
Not all SEC teams are unbeatable.
{ahem}Vanderbilt

CenTexDave
September 15th, 2014, 7:54 AM
On any given Saturday. Kentucky is nothing to brag about, neither is Miss State, Florida was a joke last year. It's just that their incredible winning streak in BCS Championship Games, which did come to an end last year. And Oklahoma rolled Bama in last year's bowl game. But I do admit it is the strongest conference top to bottom, and the Pac-12 lost a lot of their "power" Saturday when Boston College beat Southern Cal.

kantwin
September 15th, 2014, 8:17 AM
I think that in Bama's last bowl game the players gave up since it wasn't the national championship. That's what happens when expectations are so high.
There are a lot of players in the NFL that will say they can win the Super Bowl, but not many of them truly believe it.
I think that many of the Bama players last year DID believe they would go to the national championship, and when that didn't happen, they gave up.

cnjbond
September 15th, 2014, 9:38 AM
I think that in Bama's last bowl game the players gave up since it wasn't the national championship. That's what happens when expectations are so high.
There are a lot of players in the NFL that will say they can win the Super Bowl, but not many of them truly believe it.
I think that many of the Bama players last year DID believe they would go to the national championship, and when that didn't happen, they gave up.

Not only that, but I think it had a lot to do with the way they lost to Auburn which knocked them out of the championship. That'll do a number on the psyche.

CenTexDave
September 15th, 2014, 9:47 AM
Sure would like to see A&M run the table and get into that playoff and the championship game.

Night Owl
September 15th, 2014, 11:27 AM
A&M will not be in the top 10 at the end.

CenTexDave
September 15th, 2014, 11:54 AM
You're probably right - they play Bama, Auburn, Mississippi and LSU. Really hard schedule, but makes up for those blowouts over SMU and Lamar. And they do get one breather - LA-Monroe.

cnjbond
September 15th, 2014, 12:51 PM
This will probably be the best year for A&M to run the tables with Alabama & LSU looking shaky so far this season. They'd have to play a perfect game but I think if they catch enough breaks, they just might be able to do it.

LauraA
September 15th, 2014, 8:04 PM

Or ESPN. They went on and on about the number of SEC teams in the top 25.

LauraA
September 15th, 2014, 8:07 PM
On any given Saturday. Kentucky is nothing to brag about, neither is Miss State, Florida was a joke last year. It's just that their incredible winning streak in BCS Championship Games, which did come to an end last year. And Oklahoma rolled Bama in last year's bowl game. But I do admit it is the strongest conference top to bottom, and the Pac-12 lost a lot of their "power" Saturday when Boston College beat Southern Cal.
It is tough to get football fever in Kentucky and Indiana. Those are huge basketball states. Even though University of Louisville has a good team, it is still treated like the sad stepbrother. It is all about basketball there.

LauraA
September 15th, 2014, 8:09 PM
Sure would like to see A&M run the table and get into that playoff and the championship game.

If they did, then they deserve to be number 1, no matter my dislike of their idol Johnny Manziel. Pretty boy is gone, so I might give them some love this year. :)

CenTexDave
September 15th, 2014, 8:22 PM
Problem with the SEC is that many are highly ranked, and most of them play each other. One will win, one will lose. The loser probably won't tumble much in the polls. The winner of the SEC will for sure be in the playoffs, maybe even the runner-up.

cnjbond
September 15th, 2014, 8:29 PM
If they did, then they deserve to be number 1, no matter my dislike of their idol Johnny Manziel. Pretty boy is gone, so I might give them some love this year. :)

I think there are more Aggies that dislike Johnny Football than you think...

CenTexDave
September 16th, 2014, 6:50 AM
He hasn't shown much in the NFL. Think he was in for 3 plays last game - two hand offs for a run and threw one incompletion. And the way Brian Hoyer lead the Browns to a comeback win, I doubt he'll see much more action.

CenTexDave
September 16th, 2014, 8:01 AM
Back to Peanut Tillman for a minute.
He has this same injury last year and was done after 8 games. This year in the second game. As you get older, you don't heal like you did when you were 18 or 21. At 33 years of age, I think his career is over.
But what a career - NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, 2 Pro Bowls (and I thought he should have been selected 2 or 3 more times), NFL Man of the Year.

LauraA
September 16th, 2014, 12:22 PM
RGIII got injured again this week (dislocated ankle.) It is the beginning of the season. He is a talented player, but I worry about the injuries.

cnjbond
September 16th, 2014, 1:51 PM
RGIII got injured again this week (dislocated ankle.) It is the beginning of the season. He is a talented player, but I worry about the injuries.

I don't see RGIII getting his job back when or if he gets healthy if Cousins continues to play at that level. There were already grumblings that he should've been benched for Cousins and now Santa Clause gave the Redskins' coach an early Christmas present by allowing him to not have to make that decision.

CenTexDave
September 16th, 2014, 2:22 PM
I've read a bit of grumblings also, but most don't appear to be from Redskins' fans. But if Cousins keeps winning it would be hard to pull him out if RG3 comes back this year.
RG3 is kind of like Manziel - you either love him or hate him. I don't understand the hate - his rookie year was fabulous. He just hadn't fully recovered last year. And you can't expect your starter to sit out all preseason then jump right in on opening day and have his timing down, etc.
This year's opening game was not good, but he didn't get a whole lot of help. Hard to throw laying on your back. The coaches obviously gave him the green light to run last game. Up until he got hurt he was having a real good game. They are trying to make him something he is not - he is not a pocket passer. He is most dangerous when he can roll out. Of course, that's when he can also get hurt.

CenTexDave
September 17th, 2014, 9:42 PM
Longhorns' QB, David Ash, from Belton, suffered another concussion a couple of games ago.
Today he announced enough - he has given up football. A real shame - the kid was good.

LauraA
September 18th, 2014, 2:37 PM
Yeah, but he is a smart kid and apparently wants to stay that way. The issue of multiple concussions is one I know they have stepped up scrutiny of. I know playing QB for the Longhorns was probably his dream, but he is young and lots of time to make new dreams come true. I feel bad for him, but as a mom, I think he made the right decision.
Who will take his place?

cnjbond
September 18th, 2014, 2:54 PM
Yeah, but he is a smart kid and apparently wants to stay that way. The issue of multiple concussions is one I know they have stepped up scrutiny of. I know playing QB for the Longhorns was probably his dream, but he is young and lots of time to make new dreams come true. I feel bad for him, but as a mom, I think he made the right decision.
Who will take his place?

Swoopes is the next guy up.

CenTexDave
September 18th, 2014, 3:30 PM
Swoopes is doing ok and will get better as time goes along.

Night Owl
September 18th, 2014, 8:15 PM
Who will take his place?
Yea the next hit in the head may make him brain damaged and more likely to quality to be a democrap.

CenTexDave
September 18th, 2014, 8:31 PM
5/5 :)):bluerofl:))