PDA

View Full Version : Wasp & Bees - Non Toxic Way - Control ...

ClickaNerd
July 22nd, 2014, 1:19 PM
I gut stung by a wasp about an hour ago - that apparently created a small nest in the back of my shed.

It was a karate kid - you tube moment - and I am sure my neighbors with the camera at 1908 will enjoy they show when they play the clip back from their deer cam.

In any event, are their any realistic non toxic ways to kill bees / wasps ?

I did the you tube thing - but Texas seems to have more industrial grade bees and wasps then the rest of the Country.

Night Owl
July 22nd, 2014, 1:34 PM
Liquid soap and water. Put soap in a glass, fill 3/4 full With water and throw soapy water on nest. Remember NOT to throw the glass.:)):))

Wasps and bees breathe through the skin and the soap blocks their pores.

Ludwig
July 22nd, 2014, 1:56 PM
But, when you throw the solution... don't miss, or you will be sorry that your pool is not full of water that you could hide under.

mac
July 22nd, 2014, 1:56 PM
I gut stung by a wasp about an hour ago - that apparently created a small nest in the back of my shed.

It was a karate kid - you tube moment - and I am sure my neighbors with the camera at 1908 will enjoy they show when they play the clip back from their deer cam.

In any event, are their any realistic non toxic ways to kill bees / wasps ?

I did the you tube thing - but Texas seems to have more industrial grade bees and wasps then the rest of the Country.

just let 'em kill them selves. run down to tractor supply or country secrets and get one of those wasp nests......hang it from a rafter or branch. come back next day to empty......no moving parts, never wears out.....no refils. (well, maybe a little bit of pepsi or kool aid).....mac

Ludwig
July 22nd, 2014, 2:12 PM
just let 'em kill them selves. run down to tractor supply or country secrets and get one of those wasp nests......hang it from a rafter or branch. come back next day to empty......no moving parts, never wears out.....no refils. (well, maybe a little bit of pepsi or kool aid).....mac

That may well get all the workers but it will not get the queen who never leaves her nest and who will continue to tend the larvae which will hatch shortly and become a new batch of workers.

kantwin
July 22nd, 2014, 2:12 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=homemade+wasp+trap

Sorry - couldn't resist with the "Let me google that for you" link...LOL

CenTexDave
July 22nd, 2014, 3:14 PM
Wasp or hornets? I always have hornets building nests on the porch overhang. Damn things are nasty and viscious. I don't take a chance with them - Raid Wasp and Hornet Spray. Good to spray from 25 feet. They die immediately.

ClickaNerd
July 22nd, 2014, 3:26 PM
I am thinking of going nuclear on them with a muratic acid concoction ...

Mestral
July 22nd, 2014, 5:25 PM
I am thinking of going nuclear on them with a muratic acid concoction ...
Beware, muriatic acid, if it doesn't eat the wood directly, it will eat the nails out of it.
And it has a dramatic effect on some kinds of treated lumber.

Save the muriatic acid for erasing discs.

(PS: anyone know where to get Nitric Acid preferably in a gallon container?)

Mestral
July 22nd, 2014, 5:28 PM
Liquid soap and water. Put soap in a glass, fill 3/4 full With water and throw soapy water on nest. Remember NOT to throw the glass.:)):))

Wasps and bees breathe through the skin and the soap blocks their pores.I would use something along the lines of a super soaker water gun.

Anything that will soak the nest and surrounding wasps from at least ten feet away.
If they are the typical red wasp, they have a hard time finding anyone outside that range.
I have been known to douse them with WD-40 and just step outside of their attack range.

mac
July 22nd, 2014, 5:29 PM
Beware, muriatic acid, if it doesn't eat the wood directly, it will eat the nails out of it.
And it has a dramatic effect on some kinds of treated lumber.

Save the muriatic acid for erasing discs.

duda diesel

ClickaNerd
July 22nd, 2014, 5:35 PM
I used a water blaster that fires a hard stream from about 15 feet away.

It pulverized the nest and got the word out that there is a new sheriff in town.

Operation "cap a wasp" total success ...

kantwin
July 22nd, 2014, 5:40 PM
Probably at your local nitric acid supply store.LOL

Imagine
July 23rd, 2014, 1:33 AM
I've used a blast of water on nests also, if the nests are fairly small. A couple of years ago I had a HUGE nest on the porch overhang outside my front door right over my mailbox (being country folk we rarely use the front door). That wasn't a good location for mail delivery, and the nest was too big for the water method, so I bought one of those cans of wasp spray. I opened the door just barely a big enough crack to stick my hand out and started blasting; they didn't come back.

I'm having some trouble with wasps (or hornets, don't care to close enough to tell the difference..not sure I could) coming back after my husband water blasted the nests twice; they must like the locale. I may have to get some chemical douche for them.

CenTexDave
July 23rd, 2014, 7:49 AM
Once you spray whatever it is you use the nest has to be knocked down. Leave it up and sooner or later it will be used again.

Night Owl
July 25th, 2014, 8:49 AM
Where out to my storage room yesterday to get my mower. Opened the door and got zapped by a wasp. Went and got my emergency can of wasp spray and for the evil deed of one they all died. I always keep a can handy to reach nests I can't reach with soapy water.

sojourner truth
July 25th, 2014, 12:34 PM
12 gauge... works every time.:)