PDA

View Full Version : Another coach bites the dust

onetime
July 10th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Charleston's Doug Wojek has committed the blunder that has taken down many coaches of late starting with Bob Knight, the football coach from Kansas, and the basketball coach from Rice. I am torn on this as my high school coaches never really cursed and if they did it wasn't really directed at me. I remember my first day of 2 a days at college and I was thinking are we in Vietnam? Whats with all the cursing? Even then I do not remember a verbal lashing more then once or twice, but these guys telling kids they are going to send them back to the ghetto, throwing balls at kids, and just bullying kids that are stuck in a situation with the NCAA that sucks because they can not just up and leave without some type of penalty. These guys have got to adjust and understand that it may have worked 20 years ago, but all of that junk is out now. Kids have way to many options these days.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/report-coach-likely-verbally-abused-players

Rick
July 10th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Your coaches cursed at you in Vietnamese?

onetime
July 10th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Your coaches cursed at you in Vietnamese?

Ha, I meant is this a war zone.

Night Owl
July 10th, 2014, 3:17 PM
Are you comparing someone cursing to a war zone? Really? Wow I didn't know words could kill like bullets. I learn something new every day.:doh

I thought Knight coached basketball at Indiana, never knew he taught football or basketball at Rice.

Ludwig
July 10th, 2014, 4:29 PM
Charleston's Doug Wojek has committed the blunder that has taken down many coaches of late starting with Bob Knight, the football coach from Kansas, and the basketball coach from Rice. I am torn on this as my high school coaches never really cursed and if they did it wasn't really directed at me. I remember my first day of 2 a days at college and I was thinking are we in Vietnam? Whats with all the cursing? Even then I do not remember a verbal lashing more then once or twice, but these guys telling kids they are going to send them back to the ghetto, throwing balls at kids, and just bullying kids that are stuck in a situation with the NCAA that sucks because they can not just up and leave without some type of penalty. These guys have got to adjust and understand that it may have worked 20 years ago, but all of that junk is out now. Kids have way to many options these days.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/report-coach-likely-verbally-abused-players

What about the "likely" escapes your ken. If the coach used some salty language that's no big deal. If they came to college only because they want to become stars in the NCAA and maybe get a shot at the NBA then they are in fact behaving stupidly and idiotically and they are then truly worthy of those as well as any other similar invectives. Trust me, their ears are not nearly as sensitive nor have they been as protected as have your, princess/prince.

onetime
July 10th, 2014, 7:11 PM
What about the "likely" escapes your ken. If the coach used some salty language that's no big deal. If they came to college only because they want to become stars in the NCAA and maybe get a shot at the NBA then they are in fact behaving stupidly and idiotically and they are then truly worthy of those as well as any other similar invectives. Trust me, their ears are not nearly as sensitive nor have they been as protected as have your, princess/prince. I agree, but I think there is also a point where you wear a person down as well. A good educator understands that there is no singular method to motivate people and seeks lessons and looks to grow from past mistakes from others if not his/her own. In these instances you have people that have seemingly crossed the line on what is and is not acceptable. I guess you could get away with such antics in the NFL or MLB, but I do not think it would fly in any of the other major sports in college. Kids would opt to go elsewhere if they knew they would be playing for a tough ass. The school would only grow so much in that environment.

CenTexDave
July 11th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Gee, isn't it odd that these guys, like Knight, were highly successful.
You got offended that a couple of your coaches cursed at you? You are lucky you chose to go to UT and play football and not join the Army when I was a drill sergeant. :))

onetime
July 11th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Gee, isn't it odd that these guys, like Knight, were highly successful.
You got offended that a couple of your coaches cursed at you? You are lucky you chose to go to UT and play football and not join the Army when I was a drill sergeant. :))

Let me be clear, there is cursing which is common, even with high school staffs and then there's repeatedly cursing a guy out. What I am saying is while that works for some, it does not work for all and the great coaches can figure that out and use other tactics. Sure Bob Knight was great in the 70s and 80s but stunk in the 90s and last decade largely because the good college players with options said why do I want to be apart of that schtick. I am fine with coaches cursing or not cursing, but I am not good with coaches repeatedly berating a 19 year whether they are using curse words or not. The former Kansas coach told a player that he was going to have him on a bus back to the ghetto where he would get shot. Now if thats not out of bounds then I do not know what is. The Army is different too, as you have an option to say no thanks, I will find another way to make a living, during boot camp. College athletes are largely stuck depending on what their classification is, you can not just up and transfer from UT to A&M if you're upset with your coach.

mac
July 11th, 2014, 12:50 PM
College athletes are largely stuck depending on what their classification is, you can not just up and transfer from UT to A&M if you're upset with your coach.

yes you can.....if they'll have you.....in fact, if they want you they'll even come out, help you load up and move out!.....mac

CenTexDave
July 11th, 2014, 1:47 PM
And sit out a year.
Some of the abuse is physical and that's a definite no-no. Yes, Bobby Knight was a little nuts. Yes, that Kansas coach was wrong. Yes, Woody Hayes was insane at times.
But I think the problem is that it is done at the heat of the moment, and these kids take it personally.

Night Owl
July 11th, 2014, 3:40 PM
These kids want to be pampered. They were all Heros in high school and they get to a major college and most are no bodies. A big hit to their fragile egos. They need to man up and stop being punks.

onetime
July 11th, 2014, 6:18 PM
And sit out a year.
Some of the abuse is physical and that's a definite no-no. Yes, Bobby Knight was a little nuts. Yes, that Kansas coach was wrong. Yes, Woody Hayes was insane at times.
But I think the problem is that it is done at the heat of the moment, and these kids take it personally.

I can not even address the other guys post its so warped, but to answer yours, a forty year old man should have enough control over his faculties as to not make it repeatedly personal to a 17-23 kid. Mac if you transfer to another university then you have to either transfer down classifications, think Baylor to Tarleton state or you have to burn a year of your eligibility not to mention the fact that you have to learn a completely new system. Now there are some occasions such as Killeen's Jameil Showers that went to A&M and the transferred to UTEP without a penalty or garret gilbert going to SMU from Texas. Lastly, would it be ok if your boss berated you daily to live up to his standards you'd be miserable.

sfotw
July 11th, 2014, 9:33 PM
The problem with a lot of these kids that make it into a college program is they have been pampered and told how great they are, usually starting about 10th grade for the prodigies. So they have everyone treating them like royalty, scouts promising to build programs around them, etc... So when a kid walks into practice with a swollen head, doesn't put out the effort expected and required, then a coach is going to want to get their attention.most coaches have the experience to know how to do that in an appropriate way. Most kids only need one quiet talking to, and will get their act together. Some kids end up getting a harsh dressing down on the court in front of the team.
In my experience, the kids that complained to mommy or the administration that coach "is a big meany poopyhead" were the kids that washed out at the higher level anyway.
Now, some people should have given up coaching long before they got to the stage of choking a player, but that doesn't happen because they are too valuable because of the money they bring in and it takes a nasty public incident or a 2-3 year losing streak to get rid of them.
But god bless those defensive line coaches that love to grab your facemask!

mac
July 12th, 2014, 10:49 AM
And sit out a year..

not correct, Dave.....mac