PDA

View Full Version : Rabies in Killeen

Ludwig
May 27th, 2014, 6:49 PM
Besides the rabid Democrats there are also rabid skunks and other critters in town.

Rabies confirmed in skunk in the Killeen area

Killeen Animal Control Officers responded to the 4500 block of Greyhound Drive on Saturday, May 24, 2014, in reference to a dog chasing a skunk out of the yard of a residence. A call was later received advising officers that the skunk was found dead in the backyard of another residence. The skunk was picked up and per protocol it was processed for testing at the Texas Department of State Health Service, Austin Laboratory.

The Texas Department of State Health Services notified the Killeen Animal Control Unit on May 27, 2014 that the skunk had tested positive for the rabies virus.

Animal Control Officers will be distributing handouts in the area of Greyhound to ensure the residents of that area are aware of this incident, the potential danger that has been identified and have a chance to prepare.

RABIES NOTICE

We ask that all citizens to take the following precautions:

• Make sure your pets rabies vaccinations are up to date
• Supervise your pets and/or children when they are outdoors even in fenced yards
• Do not approach or touch any wild animal
• Report any sick or injured animals or any unusual animal activity to the Killeen Animal Control Unit at:

During normal operating hours – 254-526-4455
After normal operating hours – 254—501-8800

The rabies virus is deadly to humans and animals; be cautious and observant.

Ofelia Miramontez
Public Affairs
Killeen Police Department

CenTexDave
May 27th, 2014, 8:40 PM
Appropriate first paragraph.

sojourner truth
May 28th, 2014, 7:11 PM
One thing I noticed on the news reports is one of the main problems with pets in this area.... Holes in the fence.

This is how skunks get in, and dogs get out. I have seen so many fences that are missing chunks of wood out of them it's pitiful. Then there are the folks that are too lazy to repair them properly and just shove a piece of plywood or a brick in the hole thinking their pets won't try and get out.

Or, people who don't think their dogs are smart enough to figure out how to open an unlocked gate.

My neighbors horny Palm Iranian was getting into my yard almost daily from holes in her side of the fence, so I went and fixed them with new slats. Then she has the cajones to come out and bitch at me for being in her yard nailing up the slats. That's when I told her that I'd stop right then, but the next time I caught her mutt in my yard attacking my dog, I'd just toss the bullet ridden corpse of her little darling over the fence and solve the issue once and for all.

She shut up. But she still hasn't fixed the fence on the other side of the yard and her little darlings, all 12 of them, are seen wandering all over the neighborhood during the day.

Where are the rabid skunks when you really need them.

siamcat
May 28th, 2014, 7:32 PM
My dog is vaccinated, but I see so many strays wandering around. Some with collars some without.

Grammar Rules
May 28th, 2014, 9:16 PM
ST, this neighbor has 12 dogs? Isn't there an ordinance? Where is big govt when you need it?!

KCEN this evening said three dogs had to be put down due to exposure to the skunk. Presumably they weren't vaccinated, and it's a shame they died because the owners were too busy or too cheap to take care of them.

mac
May 29th, 2014, 11:19 AM
ST, this neighbor has 12 dogs? Isn't there an ordinance? Where is big govt when you need it?!

KCEN this evening said three dogs had to be put down due to exposure to the skunk. Presumably they weren't vaccinated, and it's a shame they died because the owners were too busy or too cheap to take care of them.

no m'am.....there is ordinance retricting how many dogs you can have.....least ways, not in Killeen......and I like it that way.....even though I only have one dog.....or, maybe he has me......mac

sojourner truth
May 29th, 2014, 11:30 AM

Yes, there's an ordinance. And yes, the police, animal control, and city hall have all been called on this woman. Many, many times. But all they do is give her a warning and disappear.

Eventually, they will die faster than she can breed them, we all hope. But no one is dumb enough to try and take care of the problem themselves, as she is a rather "litigious" lady and would just love to get her hands on some free money.

I couldn't bring myself to try anything with her dogs. Not their fault their owner is brain dead. She thinks she's going to breed them and make a ton of money. Problem is, nobody wants the ugly, constantly barking inbred mutts, and she's too stupid to figure that out.

We have tons of wild critters behind us in the creek, and the holes in her fence allow her dogs plenty of dangerous company.... Much like the area where the skunks in Killeen are being found. It used to be a real swamp in that area before it was developed, and there was always an abundance of snakes, skunks and possums in that area.

Ang
May 29th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Most fences in the area are made out of not much more than match sticks. No wonder dogs get out easily.

mac
May 29th, 2014, 11:48 AM

my understanding is that any pet who gets bit or scratched by an animal with rabies will be destroyed by the guvment. the rabies shot for dogs is, as I understand it, meant to protect humans, not animals.....mac

sojourner truth
May 29th, 2014, 2:26 PM
I was bitten by a dog when I was 11 and had to endure the series of rabies shots and procedures required back then. It was not a nice experience.

Makes me wonder if they have a new and improved method if a person is bitten.

Ludwig
May 29th, 2014, 4:02 PM
... Makes me wonder if they have a new and improved method if a person is bitten.
I don't know what your experience was. Back in the 70's it was a series of injections into the abdomen. Nowadays it is still a series of shots, usually five, over a 4-week period. I don't think they are into the abdomen any more though. Still... not something the average human being wants to experience.

mac
May 29th, 2014, 4:12 PM
I don't know what your experience was. Back in the 70's it was a series of injections into the abdomen. Nowadays it is still a series of shots, usually five, over a 4-week period. I don't think they are into the abdomen any more though. Still... not something the average human being wants to experience.

the only thing that's gotten better, Ludwig, is that they have better lab work now to make sure you need the series of "stomach injections" befor they put you on the regimen.....I had two nephews that got bit by a coon 2 years ago. one had to take the series and one didn't.....mac

sojourner truth
May 29th, 2014, 6:09 PM
I don't know what it is about that area of Killeen that makes it so rife with skunks, but as long as I lived there, we had at least one or 2 a year that would get in the yard.

I'm not even sure how except maybe climbing my well maintained fence. No hole on the bottom anyhow.

We would get the usual rattlesnake or opossum, but skunks were everywhere. I live on a branch of the Little Nolan creek, rife with critters, and even skunks. But never one inside the perimeter yet.

HistoryTeacher
May 31st, 2014, 6:00 PM
I agree. I smell them a couple times a week now, usually when I got out to get the paper (very carefully), sniffing all the while.

Mestral
June 1st, 2014, 6:09 AM
If you can smell them at this time a year, it means they have sprayed something (like a dog) or gotten hit by a car. My experience is, I can smell it from half a mile (if the wind is right), and my sense of smell isn't much better than Ray Charles eyesight. Most likely, in your case, you have quite a few of them in your area, and the dogs have a slow learning curve.

Mestral
June 9th, 2014, 7:47 PM
This rabies epidemic ain't going away.
Might be time to start asking questions of friends, family, and neighbors.
"Is your dog (or cat) vaccinated?"

http://www.kwtx.com/news/local/headlines/Third-Case-Of-Rabies-Confirmed-At-Fort-Hood-262171991.html

FORT HOOD (June 6, 2014) A young fox found in the vicinity of the LV Phantom area and Building 53905 near Clarke Road on Fort Hood has tested positive for rabies, the post said Friday.

The fox, which was at first thought to have been injured, was taken to the Fort Hood Veterinary Center, where it started to exhibit rabies symptoms, the post said.

The fox was euthanized and sent to the Texas Department of Health Services for testing.

The center received the results on Friday.

The first confirmed case on post involved a skunk that was seen on May 12 acting strangely in a motor pool on Motorpool Road.

On May 16, a resident was attacked by a rabid dark gray and white kitten Friday outside of a home on Central Drive.

The victim received post-exposure rabies treatment.

http://www.kxxv.com/story/22595322/rabid-raccoon-found-in-copperas-cove

COPPERAS COVE -

Copperas Cove Animal Control officials say a raccoon that had been attacked and killed by a dog tested positive for rabies on Thursday. The raccoon was found on Twin Hills Road in Copperas Cove on June 10.

Animal control was notified about the raccoon by Crossroads Veterinary Hospital. Once they received the raccoon, it was sent to the Texas Department of Health Laboratory in Austin where it tested positive for rabies.

CenTexDave
June 9th, 2014, 9:13 PM
"Copperas Cove Animal Control officials say a raccoon that had been attacked and killed by a dog tested positive for rabies on Thursday. The raccoon was found on Twin Hills Road in Copperas Cove on June 10"

That must have been a good sized dog. Raccoons can usually take care of themselves pretty well.
Oh, June 10? Today is June 9. :))

xzochye
June 9th, 2014, 9:18 PM
Oh, June 10? Today is June 9. :))

That's because the article was from June 14, 2013 :))

Mestral
June 10th, 2014, 3:58 AM
Good catch. I didn't know we had one here in Cove last year, so it I didn't notice the date.

IronErnin
June 10th, 2014, 4:32 AM
Back in the early '90s, Killeen passed an ordinance limiting families to 5 pets in the yard.

mac
June 10th, 2014, 9:44 AM
Back in the early '90s, Killeen passed an ordinance limiting families to 5 pets in the yard.

why do you state that?......mac

CenTexDave
June 10th, 2014, 10:29 AM

So families can't have more than 5 kids? :)

just2cents
June 10th, 2014, 1:42 PM

I was told -by animal control- that that is no longer in force. ?? I will look it up after I get some sleep.

IronErnin
June 12th, 2014, 4:58 PM
That is why I put when it came to pass. I wasn't aware that it was no longer in force.

mac
June 12th, 2014, 6:35 PM
That is why I put when it came to pass. I wasn't aware that it was no longer in force.

I don't recall it EVER being in force......mac