PDA

View Full Version : Georgia House Bill 60 is now law

Dagobert II
April 23rd, 2014, 5:55 PM
Today the governor of the State of Georgia signed House Bill 60 into law. Most of the verbiage of this law seems to be concerned with opening up places where Georgians who are licensed to carry may bear arms. There is also a line that allows those who have successfully completed basic training and, if applicable, honorably discharged or still on active duty, to bear arms when licensed in Georgia when their age would have otherwise barred them from doing so. The most important line of all, in my opinion, is the following: "forbid police officers who see a resident carrying a gun to ask for their permit unless they're committing a crime." If this is the case, there's no point in licensing or permitting as anyone who wants to can carry in public and unless a crime is committed there will be nothing the police can do about it, if they even know the person is armed. Source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/23/us/georgia-governor-signs-gun-bill/

Night Owl
April 23rd, 2014, 6:43 PM
An excellent law.

Dagobert II
April 23rd, 2014, 7:00 PM
The more I look at it, the better I like it though some have complained it didn't go far enough. I think it went further than some may have realized and that may be the true genius of it.

Night Owl
April 23rd, 2014, 8:15 PM
The only bad thing I can see is Texas should be out front on things like this but aren't.

Mestral
April 24th, 2014, 8:58 AM
Yeah, I hate it every time we get Out Texan-ed by some smaller state :)

IronErnin
April 24th, 2014, 9:21 AM
GA saw the whole Grisham episode and decided to head it off. Makes for a much safer environment, for everyone!
I don't think they out Texan-ed us. They acted in their own best interest, and did it quicker than we did. Too bad CJ didn't go after the legislature instead of playing games with the cops.

Dagobert II
April 24th, 2014, 9:27 AM
GA saw the whole Grisham episode and decided to head it off. Makes for a much safer environment, for everyone!
I don't think they out Texan-ed us. They acted in their own best interest, and did it quicker than we did. Too bad CJ didn't go after the legislature instead of playing games with the cops.Rosa Parks had to play games with the cops to make any progress.

Mestral
April 24th, 2014, 9:39 AM
Rosa Parks had to play games with the cops to make any progress.True. Sometimes it is necessary, and it is good to have trained demonstrators like Rosa Parks on the side of good once in a while.

kantwin
April 24th, 2014, 9:42 AM
Honestly, there are quite a few states with better gun rights laws than Texas.
I don't see how people think that Texas is some sort of great gun rights state, when it really isn't.

Mestral
April 24th, 2014, 9:49 AM
I don't see how people think that Texas is some sort of great gun rights state, when it really isn't.Well, for many years it probably had more people legally carrying guns than any other state. Just a guess, I don't have stats to back that up, but with the expansive land area and fairly high population density, coupled with the culture, it stands to reason.

Dagobert II
April 24th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I don't see how people think that Texas is some sort of great gun rights state, when it really isn't.The problem in Texas, in my opinion, is that while Second Amendment liberty was often assumed, there were, in fact, gun control laws on the books that somebody at some time thought 'sensible' and these laws are now being applied without sense. Never assume the government to be capable of 'common sense' in anything it attempts. Assume the government and its agents to be in need of detailed and clear limitation in their duties otherwise the most bizarre of tyrannies is likely to develop.

mac
April 24th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Rosa Parks had to play games with the cops to make any progress.

actually rosa parkss' target was bus drivers and dispatchers, not cops......mac

Mestral
April 24th, 2014, 11:14 AM
actually rosa parkss' target was bus drivers and dispatchers, not cops......macActually, I thought her target was our national conscience, which had to be given a few lessons out behind the woodshed to get straight.

I wonder what will have to be done with us to bring us back on course this time.

IronErnin
April 24th, 2014, 12:33 PM
IDK, had I seen Ms Parks, common decency would've overtaken me, regardless of her color. The man that wanted her seat was a classless lout. Imagine a man asking a woman to move just so he can sit... What a jerk!!!

sojourner truth
April 24th, 2014, 1:28 PM
Well, if she was packin' some heat, I bet he'd a thunk different.

IronErnin
April 24th, 2014, 3:06 PM
There wouldn't have been a justifiable cause.

Mestral
April 25th, 2014, 6:28 AM
It was a different day and age. If she would have used any form of weapon it would have given the forces of evil an excuse to lynch her and continue their evil ways. One has to know when to employ firepower and when to lay down your weapons so you can attract sympathy of the masses.

IronErnin
April 25th, 2014, 6:37 AM
Also, let us not discount the perception of difference between weapons and firearms. ;)

just2cents
April 25th, 2014, 7:10 AM
Actually, I thought her target was our national conscience, which had to be given a few lessons out behind the woodshed to get straight.

I wonder what will have to be done with us to bring us back on course this time.

Her actions turned out to help the civil rights movement and turned out well and good. I don't know anymore then what I read, however I read that at 1st she had no target she was just tired and wanted a place to set without putting up with BS. Is that true?

Mestral
April 25th, 2014, 7:29 AM
Her actions turned out to help the civil rights movement and turned out well and good. I don't know anymore then what I read, however I read that at 1st she had no target she was just tired and wanted a place to set without putting up with BS. Is that true?Not really, although that may have been the reason behind the particular action on that particular day. She wasn't just some random person, but had been schooled in civil disobedience and passive resistance techniques. I don't remember about the particulars, but I read about her when I lived in Montgomery AL (back in 2001).

just2cents
April 25th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Not really, although that may have been the reason behind the particular action on that particular day. She wasn't just some random person, but had been schooled in civil disobedience and passive resistance techniques. I don't remember about the particulars, but I read about her when I lived in Montgomery AL (back in 2001).

Sir you are right I started reading about her and her arrest today.

In her autobiography, Parks wrote, "People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. I was not old, although some people have an image of me as being old then. I was forty-two. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in. I knew someone had to take the first step and I made up my mind not to move. Our mistreatment was just not right, and I was tired of it." - See more at: http://rosaparksfacts.com/rosa-parks-civil-rights-movement.

After leaving the Maxwell Air Force Base, Rosa Parks took a job working for a couple named Clifford and Virginia Durr. The Durr's were a well to do white couple who were also politically liberal. After becoming fast friends with Rosa, they sponsored her attendance at the Highlander Folk School in the summer of 1955. The school was a center set up to educate the black community about racial equality and the rights of workers. - See more at: http://rosaparksfacts.com/rosa-parks-civil-rights-movement

mac
April 25th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Her actions turned out to help the civil rights movement and turned out well and good. I don't know anymore then what I read, however I read that at 1st she had no target she was just tired and wanted a place to set without putting up with BS. Is that true?

I think so too....that's what I believe also. she worked at a place like pennys or sears or something doing alterations. she was sitting in the, what they then called, colored seats. but all the white seats were full of whites and this cracker comes along and wants her to get up or get off......raised such a fuss over it that the driver had to stop and his dispatcher called the cops and.......the rest is history. I admire what and who she was at that time in her life......she had grit........sadly she later on got kind of political and some of the race pimps turned her head, but was pretty much back to normal in her latter year......mac

Mestral
April 26th, 2014, 9:00 AM
Despite my desire to continue this off topic conversation, the original thread should get more attention and conversation.
From the link in the opening post:

The bill, which easily navigated the state Legislature -- by a 112-58 vote in the House and a 37-18 tally in the Senate -- also earned the support of Democratic state Sen. Jason Carter, the grandson of ex-President Jimmy Carter and a 2014 gubernatorial candidate.

Calling it "a great day to reaffirm our liberties," Deal said the law allows residents to protect their families and expands the list of places where they can legally carry firearms, while allowing certain property owners, namely churches and bars, to make judgments on whether they want worshippers and patrons carrying guns.

"The Second Amendment should never be an afterthought. It should be at the forefront of our minds," Deal said while touting his NRA endorsement for governor and "A" rating during his 17 years in Congress.

The governor said the law "will protect the constitutional rights of Georgians who have gone through a background check to legally obtain a Georgia Weapons Carry License.

"Roughly 500,000 Georgia citizens have a permit of this kind, which is approximately 5 percent of our population. I agree this is a good start. I wonder how hard it would be to get similar legislation introduced into the Texas legislature.

kantwin
April 26th, 2014, 9:20 AM
What's sad is that there needs to be legislation that makes it legal to carry firearms in certain places.
Why not just repeal the legislation that restricted the carry of firearms in the first place?

mac
April 26th, 2014, 9:23 AM
What's sad is that there needs to be legislation that makes it legal to carry firearms in certain places.
Why not just repeal the legislation that restricted the carry of firearms in the first place?

Exactly!!....mac

Mestral
April 26th, 2014, 9:53 AM
Why not just repeal the legislation that restricted the carry of firearms in the first place?Well, I think a lot of this could be taken care of if the one who disarms the citizens could be held responsible if any harm comes to them.

Tell a store clerk they can't carry a gun?
If he is robbed or harmed, the person who decided he can't carry goes to prison,
for the same amount of time as the person who robbed him. (Accomplice)

Pretty soon, things would be straightened out.

CenTexDave
April 26th, 2014, 10:59 AM
You couldn't get me to work in a convenience store for all the money in the world unless I had a .45 or shotgun behind the counter - locked and loaded.

Grammar Rules
June 21st, 2014, 2:10 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2014/06/21/Liberal-Talk-Host-To-Yell-Shots-Fired-Start-Panic-If-Someone-Openly-Carries-Gun-Near-Him

In the interest of balance, a fairly liberal blogger whom I like has posted this article to call attention to the fact that there are extremist nuts on both sides. FWIW, the blogger I like hates Malloy, whom I'd never heard of, but that's a separate issue. The way this looks, Mike Malloy, who lives in Georgia and has a satellite radio show, is hell bent on self-destruction anyway. Read on:

Liberal radio host Mike Malloy is reacting to broadened firearm carry rights in Georgia and open carry demonstrations around the county by promising to cause a public panic, perhaps resulting in the death of the person lawfully--and openly--carrying a firearm, if he sees such an individual.
According to Newsbusters.org, Malloy said:
I guess what I'll do if I'm ever in that situation and I see one of these yahoos walking in with a weapon, high caliber rifle like that, I'll just put on a berserk act. I will just start screaming Gun! Gun! Gun! Watch out, everybody hit the deck! Everybody. And then call 911 and I will say, shots fired, which will bring every g--damned cop within 15 miles. And then the half-wits with the long guns are going to panic and they're going to run out of the store and if that rifle isn't shouldered properly, the cop is going to take a look at that and put a bullet right in their forehead. (emphasis added)
On March 27 Breitbart News reported that Malloy said he wanted to meet and shoot an NRA board member, and justify it by claiming "stand your ground." This was followed by NRA board member Buzz Mills telling Malloy: "Here I am if you want to come kill me."

This action, if he had the stones to perform it, would get innocent people killed. What a jackass.

CenTexDave
June 21st, 2014, 2:16 PM
Now that everyone knows about it, would get him shot first. :)

Mestral
June 22nd, 2014, 7:14 AM
On March 27 Breitbart News reported that Malloy said he wanted to meet and shoot an NRA board member, and justify it by claiming "stand your ground." This was followed by NRA board member Buzz Mills telling Malloy: "Here I am if you want to come kill me." Now that it is known who he is, the Open Carry Crowd will spot him and point him out to the cops as soon as he shows up. What he has done is issue a terroristic threat (which won't be prosecuted under the current government) and if he shows up, it is automatically intent to carry it out (which might be prosecuted). In addition, if those who follow the code set forth by the Sipsey Street Irregulars (no one takes orders from Sipsey Street, but some follow his teachings) know where he lives, his address will be on someone's watch list, and if the SHTF (talking about a totally "Without Law and Order" situation), he will be on a list of people to go and eliminate (although he won't be a priority).

just2cents
June 22nd, 2014, 3:15 PM
Now that it is known who he is, the Open Carry Crowd will spot him and point him out to the cops as soon as he shows up. What he has done is issue a terroristic threat (which won't be prosecuted under the current government) and if he shows up, it is automatically intent to carry it out (which might be prosecuted). In addition, if those who follow the code set forth by the Sipsey Street Irregulars (no one takes orders from Sipsey Street, but some follow his teachings) know where he lives, his address will be on someone's watch list, and if the SHTF (talking about a totally "Without Law and Order" situation), he will be on a list of people to go and eliminate (although he won't be a priority).
You lost me who is making this list of people to go?

Mestral
June 22nd, 2014, 3:35 PM
In your case:
If you don't know, you don't need to know.

mac
June 22nd, 2014, 4:10 PM
In your case:
If you don't know, you don't need to know.

phew! glad to hear that, I was gettin' worried and just a little paranoid!......mac

Mestral
June 22nd, 2014, 4:24 PM
phew! glad to hear that, I was gettin' worried and just a little paranoid!......macYou needn't worry. The guys making the lists would consider you a good guy. And if they knew nothing of you, they have a rule never to attack innocents.

In the case of 2cent, when what I was talking about comes to pass, his god will no longer be around.

just2cents
June 22nd, 2014, 11:03 PM
You needn't worry. The guys making the lists would consider you a good guy. And if they knew nothing of you, they have a rule never to attack innocents.

In the case of 2cent, when what I was talking about comes to pass, his god will no longer be around.
In the past you have said that my god is the gov. So if I understand this you and your maybe two crazy friends want to get rid of the gov.
Please tell me what the gov has ever really done to you?
I worked for the gov over 40 years, 27 on active duty. I have never lost any of my rights in my lifetime. Please tell me what rights you think you have lost?

Mestral
June 23rd, 2014, 5:27 AM
In the past you have said that my god is the gov. So if I understand this you and your maybe two crazy friends want to get rid of the gov...No, we don't want to get rid of your god.
(we do, however want it to stop trying to be God.)
I said "after that happens" not that we would cause it to happen.
Learn to read.

just2cents
June 23rd, 2014, 9:14 AM
No, we don't want to get rid of your god.
(we do, however want it to stop trying to be God.)
I said "after that happens" not that we would cause it to happen.
Learn to read.
Who are "we"? I noticed you did not answer what rights you think the government has taken from you.

Night Owl
June 23rd, 2014, 9:50 AM
Who are "we"? I noticed you did not answer what rights you think the government has taken from you.
When have you ever answered a question? But you expect others to answer yours. Good luck.

just2cents
June 23rd, 2014, 8:26 PM
When have you ever answered a question? But you expect others to answer yours. Good luck.
Ok now I am confused. Ask me anything I will answer.

Mestral
June 24th, 2014, 8:20 AM
Ok now I am confused. Ask me anything I will answer.Well, if you are serious, go to
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php/20778-quot-The-Revolution-Begins-quot-except-it-didn-t-Supremacist-thugs-murder-cops-amp-bystander?p=328688#post328688
and answer the question. That won't make it "all good" between all of us, but it would be a start.

just2cents
June 24th, 2014, 3:42 PM
Well, if you are serious, go to
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php/20778-quot-The-Revolution-Begins-quot-except-it-didn-t-Supremacist-thugs-murder-cops-amp-bystander?p=328688#post328688
and answer the question. That won't make it "all good" between all of us, but it would be a start.
I answered that of the choices, I guess since my ex wife always said I was a pig I must be one.
I am however worried about you, the avg. person does not claim to have a target list.

Mestral
June 24th, 2014, 4:19 PM
I answered that of the choices, I guess since my ex wife always said I was a pig I must be one.
I am however worried about you, the avg. person does not claim to have a target list.One thing I would never, ever, claim to be is average.

just2cents
June 25th, 2014, 10:38 AM
One thing I would never, ever, claim to be is average.

Thank goodness ,one of you is enough.

Night Owl
June 25th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Thank goodness ,one of you is enough.
Many would say the same about you, me and many others.

Grammar Rules
June 25th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Maybe the better word would be normal.

Rick
June 25th, 2014, 12:00 PM
That still wouldn't apply to Mestral. :))

Mestral
June 26th, 2014, 5:26 AM
I actually have more in common with Rainman than I do with anyone named Normal.

kantwin
June 26th, 2014, 8:35 AM
I actually have more in common with Rainman than I do with anyone named Normal.
"Bout a hundred dollars"
"Wapner's on at 5"
"Fruit of the loom. Definitely."