PDA

View Full Version : Roof replacement

sojourner truth
April 10th, 2014, 3:23 PM
Well, the insurance adjusters have finally come and gone, and now it is time to look for a reputable roofer.

Just in case some of you are in the same boat after the hail storm, there are a lot of out of town roofers running all over the place. I called Lange, because they are local, and have a good rep. They won't even be able to come look at the roof for about 2 weeks, much less see when they can actually do the work.

So far, we are looking at about $4000 damage on the car (earliest fix date is in August) and about $4000 or more on the roof, and fans and gutters.. No telling when they can get to the roof.

One thing the adjusters did say that makes sense, is that if your current roof is damaged, but not leaking, it may be a good idea to wait until after storm season is over to get the roof replaced.

If you have an adjuster come out, make sure they check out fence damage, the roof, gutters, any and all attached structures such as sheds etc., and all of your windows and screens. They found damage to some of our screens that I never even noticed.

IronErnin
April 10th, 2014, 5:30 PM
A couple years ago, we had a metal roof installed. I think H.I.S. contractors did the work for us. It has been good. Its just kinda noisy during a hail storm.

HistoryTeacher
April 10th, 2014, 6:09 PM
Well, the insurance adjusters have finally come and gone, and now it is time to look for a reputable roofer.

Just in case some of you are in the same boat after the hail storm, there are a lot of out of town roofers running all over the place. I called Lange, because they are local, and have a good rep. They won't even be able to come look at the roof for about 2 weeks, much less see when they can actually do the work.

So far, we are looking at about $4000 damage on the car (earliest fix date is in August) and about $4000 or more on the roof, and fans and gutters.. No telling when they can get to the roof.

One thing the adjusters did say that makes sense, is that if your current roof is damaged, but not leaking, it may be a good idea to wait until after storm season is over to get the roof replaced.

If you have an adjuster come out, make sure they check out fence damage, the roof, gutters, any and all attached structures such as sheds etc., and all of your windows and screens. They found damage to some of our screens that I never even noticed.
I don't know if he does major repairs, but Tommy Thompson replaced a few missing shingles on our roof when he came to clean the dryer vent and the chimney. Decently priced.

birdfriend
April 10th, 2014, 6:43 PM
I had a representative of a roofing company from San Antonio knock on my door yesterday. Plus today got a mailing from a company in Austin. I'm going to wait for a local roofer.

CenTexDave
April 10th, 2014, 7:13 PM
Call your insurance company also. Let them send an adjuster and check it out. Then compare what the insurance company and the roofer come up with.

Night Owl
April 10th, 2014, 7:55 PM
I had three out of town roofers come to the door today. I sent them packing. First question is always where are you from.

Chief
April 11th, 2014, 1:38 AM
Lange roofing does an excellent job.

sojourner truth
April 11th, 2014, 6:50 AM
I called Lange, and will probably go with them anyhow. They do good work, and if the job is not up to par, I know where they live.

There are roofers falling all over each other around town. I don't trust a one of them. Them, or the hundreds of "dent guys" you see on every corner. The repairs for the new car lots are what is backing a lot of the lag time on dent repairs and paint jobs. Our repair date is in Mid August. But then, we need a new hood, paint and body on the roof, new top rails, and other cosmetic stuff to be done. About $4500.

Dave, I called the adjuster before talking to a roofer. I know what a roofer is going to tell me. The adjuster was actually surprised I didn't already have an estimate. Shoot, even after I called Lange, they won't be able to even get out to the house for at least 2 weeks to get me an estimate. Probably a good thing, as the roof isn't actually leaking, and storm season ain't over yet.

One thing that did give me a laugh was when the adjuster told me she would give me a solid estimate once they had satellite surveyed the roof area of the house. Say What? That's right... They have a satellite that takes a photo of the roof from space and measures the square footage. I sure hope I'm not doing anything inappropriate in the back yard when they take the shot. Shades of NSA?

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2014, 7:27 AM
Who the hell is your insurance company? :))

Mestral
April 11th, 2014, 8:26 AM
Who the hell is your insurance company? :))
Probably North Star Associates, and Consolidated Insurance Association. (acronyms anyone?)

HistoryTeacher
April 11th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Roofers knocked on our door, too last night. We don't even have any damage.

CenTexDave
April 11th, 2014, 12:43 PM
But I'm sure they offered to do a free inspection of your roof.
And I'm equally sure they would have found all sorts of damage. :)

sojourner truth
April 11th, 2014, 4:00 PM
Well, the adjuster came back with a total of $13,600 to repair all my damage.... But these folks are smart, and want to see receipts when the job is done.

HistoryTeacher
April 11th, 2014, 7:31 PM
But I'm sure they offered to do a free inspection of your roof.
And I'm equally sure they would have found all sorts of damage. :)

I don't think so. My better half shut the door pretty quickly.

Mestral
April 14th, 2014, 10:36 AM
We had another hail storm here last night.
I was away, so I heard about it second hand.

Mestral
April 14th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I see yesterday's storm got its own thread.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php/20499-Nice-Little-Storm

schiperno
September 3rd, 2014, 1:43 PM
I'm on today hoping that someone has another local company to refer me to! I just won't go with Lange. Their online reviews are not good and they're associated with the yard company who I had a horrible time with a few years ago. Trick me once!

Is there any other company that is local, licensed and insured that you all have used and been satisfied with? Thank you all!

sojourner truth
September 3rd, 2014, 2:10 PM
I used ACE, and was pretty happy with the results..

One thing you will find out is that the first thing the roofer will want to see is the estimate your insurance company gave you. Then, amazingly, he will say that is exactly the amount that fixing your roof will cost. Problem is that if there are other damaged items in the estimate (Mine had fence, shed, and window frames/gutters) all you will get fixed is the roof and gutters.

As it stands, the amount the insurance company was giving me covered the cost of the roof and gutters, plus I had about $1200 left over (and that was without the copay) so I got some of the other stuff fixed too.

Most of these roofers will set it up so you won't have to kick in any copay money, and will actually make some money on the deal.

Then, when it is all over, your insurance company will do what mine did... Raised their rate $400 a year to get their money back.

Mestral
September 3rd, 2014, 2:14 PM
I would have thought the time for this would be past.
Does anyone know if there is a time limit for making a claim?

I had about decided to wait until another hail storm hit me again.

Night Owl
September 3rd, 2014, 2:15 PM
I had a company out os Houston, with an office in Austin, replace two roofs. My main home and a rental. They upgraded shingles to lifetime, installed gutters on main house and put a ridge vent in on the main house, at no additional cost. They will not cover your deductible since it is illegal..Name of company is Strata. Phone 1 254 220 7309. Gentlemans name is Rio.

Night Owl
September 3rd, 2014, 2:18 PM

You can claim at any time. At least that is,so,with USAA.

mac
September 3rd, 2014, 2:22 PM

as long as the travelers are still in town.....and they still are, you got plenty of time.....but it doesn't siound like schiperno is interested in the travelers.

Hitts out of Temple are pretty good but I like Langes a lot........mac

cuatro
September 3rd, 2014, 2:57 PM
I'm on today hoping that someone has another local company to refer me to! I just won't go with Lange. Their online reviews are not good and they're associated with the yard company who I had a horrible time with a few years ago. Trick me once!

Is there any other company that is local, licensed and insured that you all have used and been satisfied with? Thank you all!

We are going with A Classic Roofing. Bill Webster is the owner and it is locally owned and operated. I have personally known Bill for a long time, and he is honest and very easy to work with. My mother-in-law and several of her friends in their neighborhood have used him. Peaceable Kingdom Retreat for Children hired him to do 3 roofs at their retreat and he did a great job! Even donated money, personally afterwards as well.

He is reputable and very good.

CenTexDave
September 3rd, 2014, 3:16 PM
A&M Roofing in Cove replaced my entire roof about 18 months ago and did some other repair work. Did an excellent job at a reasonable price.

The Torii Fox
September 3rd, 2014, 3:53 PM

Specialty Restoration of Texas was a preferred contractor through USAA. Waiting on the rep to come over right now and do a walk through before I sign to get the work done tomorrow. I was a little dubious but if their website is to be believed they seem legit. Here is the Link with some testimonials:

http://www.specialtyrestorationoftexas.com

I will know more after the work is done of course. I will check this thread on Saturday if I remember and let you know.

fchafey
September 3rd, 2014, 9:58 PM
Specialty Restoration of Texas was a preferred contractor through USAA. Waiting on the rep to come over right now and do a walk through before I sign to get the work done tomorrow. I was a little dubious but if their website is to be believed they seem legit. Here is the Link with some testimonials:

http://www.specialtyrestorationoftexas.com

I will know more after the work is done of course. I will check this thread on Saturday if I remember and let you know.

SRT did our roof, I am deployed and the wife sent pictures, really happy with thier work.....USAA handeled everything. I also like Martinez Roofing, they did our other house where the kids live, they are great too.

Grammar Rules
September 3rd, 2014, 10:32 PM
I used Johnson Roofing from the Waco/Robinson area. Their estimate was higher than that produced by the insurance company's hired estimator. They said they'd get the supplement approved. It was part mis-measurement and part failure to charge extra for a high pitch.

They did a beautiful job on my house and the rent house. The delivered when they said they would, kept the jobsite clean, cleaned up afterward, and checked to make sure I was happy. I said I would be when the insurance company reimbursed me for the supplement difference.

Still waiting for the $1300. I've gotten nothing but a runaround from the company adjuster, who was not the estimator. I'm close to being finished with phone calls and threats.

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2014, 3:36 PM
Oh oh, GR is gonna go on the warpath!!!

mac
September 4th, 2014, 3:40 PM
I used Johnson Roofing from the Waco/Robinson area. Their estimate was higher than that produced by the insurance company's hired estimator. They said they'd get the supplement approved. It was part mis-measurement and part failure to charge extra for a high pitch.

They did a beautiful job on my house and the rent house. The delivered when they said they would, kept the jobsite clean, cleaned up afterward, and checked to make sure I was happy. I said I would be when the insurance company reimbursed me for the supplement difference.

Still waiting for the $1300. I've gotten nothing but a runaround from the company adjuster, who was not the estimator. I'm close to being finished with phone calls and threats.

hope i'm wrong but it sounds to me like you've been had. are you dead certain that they have a storefront in Waco/robinson? the reason I ask is because what you describe is very much a "traveler" tactic..........mac

siamcat
September 4th, 2014, 6:22 PM
Whichever company you choose here's a good link to check them out.

http://www.bbb.org/search
It tells you if they're a member of the BBB, what their rating is, and the nature of the complaints.

I only use contractors that are a member of the BBB with a good rating. Never had a dud.

Now I just wish they would quit calling me. My husband replaced a few shingles and resealed the exhaust things sticking out of the roof. It's good.

All you do is enter the kind of business or their name and your zip code.

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2014, 6:38 PM
I listen to Waco 100 Radio, the Zack and Jim Show, every morning. Johnson Roofing is, and has been, a big advertiser on there for a long time.

Mestral
September 4th, 2014, 6:46 PM
I listen to Waco 100 Radio, the Zack and Jim Show, every morning. Johnson Roofing is, and has been, a big advertiser on there for a long time.
As long as those who came to her house were not a counterfeit Johnson Roofing. Pretenders may think that way out (she is a couple miles outside the city) in the country, no one will know.

Grammar Rules
September 4th, 2014, 7:47 PM
hope i'm wrong but it sounds to me like you've been had. are you dead certain that they have a storefront in Waco/robinson? the reason I ask is because what you describe is very much a "traveler" tactic..........mac

As long as those who came to her house were not a counterfeit Johnson Roofing. Pretenders may think that way out (she is a couple miles outside the city) in the country, no one will know.

http://www.jroof.com/

No, they aren't "travelers." :)) I called them; they didn't just show up at my door uninvited with a truckload of shingles. Johnson has been in business since 1941. I include their website above. They do a LOT of commercial for Baylor, Dell Children's, etc.

I don't think the problem is with Johnson. Their bill didn't agree with the estimate made by a guy the insurance company hired to do estimates. He admitted to me that he missed some stuff. I've paid Johnson, including the deductible, and the insurance company (finally) reimbursed me all but $1300-some that was the difference.

All I want is either my damages OR a review of the estimates in person between me and the insurance adjuster.

Today when I got the insurance adjuster's voice mail (again) and his supervisor's voice mail (again), I called the state office and asked for the supervisor's supervisor. As it happens, I was an adjuster for my insurance company in the '70s and '80s. The supervisor remembered me, which isn't too surprising, I guess, since I was one of the only two women in that job back then. So I got all the same assurances from him that I would get a call back and the local adjuster had put some notes in the file this week.

When there's a supplement, it's the job of the adjuster to get with the roofer and reconcile the difference. It's not the damned supercollider. It's a roof: simple math and geometry. Apparently this local adjuster is incapable of getting together with the estimator he hired and getting clarity on the estimate written by the roofer.

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2014, 7:51 PM
Give them one more chance then go to the State Insurance Commission. Bet that'll get their attention PDQ.

Grammar Rules
September 4th, 2014, 8:01 PM
That's the next step. I'm giving this another week, and then BAM! To the moon!

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2014, 8:12 PM
Who is your insurance company please?

Grammar Rules
September 4th, 2014, 8:20 PM
I don't want to name and blame the company for one miserable, incompetent claims adjuster unless and until this is resolved, depending on the outcome. When I was talking to the supervisor today, I asked if he remembered "Joe Smith" (not the real name). He said, "Yes, worst adjuster in history." I said, "I have one worse than him." Seriously, old "Joe" was legendary. The rest of us were competent back then.

CenTexDave
September 4th, 2014, 8:52 PM
OK, Ma'am.