PDA

View Full Version : Texas Defender in Georgetown

Rick
February 13th, 2014, 5:48 AM
Does anyone know if this place is good? Wife and I are thinking about taking the classes offered to couples in this deal.

http://www.buytexasdeals.com/engine/SplashDetails.aspx?contestid=22632&productid=11438192&groupmode=2386558

Thanks

Rick

HistoryTeacher
February 13th, 2014, 7:07 PM
I see that it's extra for 50 rounds? Is this also for CHL?

Rick
February 13th, 2014, 7:50 PM
One deal is for a beginner course and the other is for CHL. My wife hasn't had any formal training with any firearm and I haven't had formal training with a pistol, so I'll go with her.

Can't have too much information.

Mestral
February 14th, 2014, 4:58 PM
Just to keep the thread fresh, I will say I know nothing about that school,
but if you and your wife haven't been to a pistol class of any kind, you need to go to one.

Hopefully someone will now chime in with some worthwhile information.

Frankly I am having a hard time picturing you, on that farm, with no pistol training.

OTOH, my dad didn't have pistol training on his farm.
But then, he could kill, skin and cook a badger or raccoon with just a knife.
I discovered early on: I am not my dad. Then, went out and bought a gun.
(OK, there's the requisite humorous story for this thread)

IronErnin
February 14th, 2014, 6:15 PM
I don't know what he charges, but Lloyd Leppo is much closer than Georgetown.

Rick
February 16th, 2014, 4:28 AM
Frankly I am having a hard time picturing you, on that farm, with no pistol training.

It's not that we don't know how to shoot, and hit what we're shooting at, but you know the old saying, you don't know what you don't know? We just want to reduce what we don't know.

Recently bought this for my wife. https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p938-equinox.aspx It was expensive, but it was the only 9 mil that she can pull the slide back since a failed carpal tunnel surgery left her hand very weak.

Dagobert II
February 16th, 2014, 7:59 AM
Recently bought this for my wife. https://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p938-equinox.aspx It was expensive, but it was the only 9 mil that she can pull the slide back since a failed carpal tunnel surgery left her hand very weak. Glock manufactures attachments that can be readily placed on the slides of their pistols to facilitate pulling the slide. I think other companies have similar devices as well. 4425

Grammar Rules
February 17th, 2014, 8:02 AM
Are there any classes within 40 miles specifically for pistol handling and shooting that anyone knows of?

Rick
February 17th, 2014, 7:27 PM
I don't know, but their classes, only on Tuesday's at 4:00 pm sure are inconvenient.

Mestral
February 18th, 2014, 4:25 AM
It's not that we don't know how to shoot, and hit what we're shooting at, but you know the old saying, you don't know what you don't know? We just want to reduce what we don't know. ...I agree, and you're already a step ahead, wanting to learn.

You might want to talk to Mr Hicks up at Hicksville Gun range.
As I recall, his mission from the start was better shooters for home defense.
If he doesn't have classes, he probably knows someone who does.

Didn't a bunch of teachers and staff from KISD go to a range about a year ago?

xzochye
February 18th, 2014, 6:58 PM
I agree, and you're already a step ahead, wanting to learn.

You might want to talk to Mr Hicks up at Hicksville Gun range.
As I recall, his mission from the start was better shooters for home defense.
If he doesn't have classes, he probably knows someone who does.

Didn't a bunch of teachers and staff from KISD go to a range about a year ago?

We went to Big Iron. http://www.bigironchl.com/

Rick
March 26th, 2014, 7:40 AM
My wife and I went to the Beginner's Handgun course yesterday afternoon and we both learned a lot. He was very knowledgable and was receptive to all questions. There were three of us in the class.

Dan Hollum gave an hour of classroom discussion, and then we drove to his range that was a couple minutes away and he conducted range instruction for almost an hour and a half.

He talked about the different types of handguns, auto's and revolvers, safety, shooting stance for self defense, proper way to hold a pistol, etc.

All three of us were shooting better by the end of the course.

We bought the deal on KDH, so for both of us, it cost $60.

The other person rented a gun and ammo from him, and he allowed her to try different guns, plus, my wife and I let her try both of ours.

We'll be taking our CHL course there in a couple of weeks.

CenTexDave
March 26th, 2014, 10:16 AM
So did you hit the target? :)

Rick
March 26th, 2014, 8:09 PM
Define target!

sojourner truth
March 26th, 2014, 8:19 PM
Now all you need are the "These premises are protected by Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson." signs....

Or my favorite... "I am home and armed all day 4 days a week...you task is to figure out which days...Feeling lucky?"

Rick
March 26th, 2014, 8:23 PM
One step ahead of you. The one on the right went up a couple weeks ago. The one on the left has been there for a while.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/27/5uvatu7u.jpg

Rick
March 26th, 2014, 8:35 PM
I wonder if that one could get me in trouble if someone intrudes and I have to use force and they happen to die.

Since you aren't allowed to kill someone, but you are allowed to stop them from intruding.

hmmmm?

Grammar Rules
March 26th, 2014, 9:00 PM
You can't assume the burglars are at least semi-literate and patient enough to sound out the hard words. The visual will help.

Dagobert II
March 26th, 2014, 9:04 PM
Try this one. It doesn't say what you intend to do, or will do, only what you can do. 4529

Mestral
March 27th, 2014, 7:10 AM
Try this one. It doesn't say what you intend to do, or will do, only what you can do. [pic]Problem with this one goes back to the question of literacy.

Rick
April 13th, 2014, 7:23 PM
We took the CHL course at Texas Defender yesterday. Dan had another obligation, so he had another instructor give the class. It was okay, in my opinion, he spent too much time talking about himself, other than that, the class was interesting and he mixed the mundane up with some old videos that we've all seen on YouTube.

My wife was excited that she scored so well. Given that she has only been shooting since the end of January, she has overcome her fear of handling a pistol and is much more confident. Definitely not over confident and she certainly respects the weapon. I am very proud of her.

So we've begun the application process and will get our prints done this week.

We are both grateful for Texas Defender offering the beginner pistol class. We both learned a lot in two short hours and I highly recommend that class for beginners.

I only wish we were permitted to protect ourselves to and from work, but there's no hope of that changing any time soon.