PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Miles

CenTexDave
February 11th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Looks like the Cowboys will cut Miles Austin: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/412430-cowboys-likely-to-cut-miles-austin?xid=si_nfl

No big deal here. He had one surprising good half of a year and hasn't done anything since except being out injured all the time.
Of course this means someone will pick him up at a minimum salary and he'll probably get 1000 yards and 12 TD's. :))

sojourner truth
February 11th, 2014, 11:21 AM
That should save them about 100 yards of penalties a game.

CenTexDave
February 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM
He had really gone downhill the last 2 years. Wasn't even a good #3. The Boys can find a decent receive in the draft or in free agency. And would them a helluva lot less too.

sojourner truth
February 11th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Well, his biggest problem was age. When he got older, he got slower, and had to try and compensate by getting off the line faster. That led to a lot of offsides calls, and therefore his doom.

cnjbond
February 11th, 2014, 1:07 PM
One down and about 5-10 more to go!

CenTexDave
February 11th, 2014, 2:02 PM
While I don't agree with it, Ware may be a casualty also.

Night Owl
February 11th, 2014, 3:16 PM
I have heard that Ware is toxic in the club house.

CenTexDave
February 11th, 2014, 4:18 PM
His best days are long ago. He is taking a lot of the salary cap.
He and that thing you call a QB. :)

cnjbond
February 11th, 2014, 11:15 PM
While I don't agree with it, Ware may be a casualty also.

That's what I said awhile back. He needs to be traded while Dallas can still get something in return but only IF Jerruh is doing this to rebuild the team NOT if he's going to try his crappy patchwork effort to win a Super Bowl this next season (which I think they are a long way away from being able to do). They need a good 2-3 years of rebuilding and developing YOUNG players to be competitive again. I like Ware but he's not going to win a Super Bowl with the Cowboys before his career is over and that goes for Witten, Romo, and a host of other long in the tooth players.

onetime
February 14th, 2014, 7:03 AM
The cowboys need to draft an OL, a backup RB to share reps, a guy that can fit in as a #2 or #3 WR, a TE or someone that can push Whitten, a DE, a LB, and a DB. That is pretty much every position, they need to let go of Demarcus Ware, Jason Whitten, and Miles Austin, they will save close to 9 Million on their salary cap. Why are they paying Orlando Scandrick so much too?

CenTexDave
February 14th, 2014, 7:47 AM
I'd keep Ware and Witten if possible. Maybe they can renegotiate their contracts. Austin and Scandrick should be history. Neither are worth a fraction of what they are being paid.
They have a #2 WR - Terrance Williams. They need a #3 - and shouldn't be hard to find one. Just don't use a high draft pick or grab some ultra-expensive free agent. There are plenty out there. Seeing Clowney from South Carolina will be long gone by the time they get their draft pick, I'd look at a DB/S or LB. Plenty good ones in this draft.

sojourner truth
February 14th, 2014, 1:21 PM
Well, wherever Austin goes, you can be sure he's making a ton of money. Makes me wonder what Jerry still will wind up paying him after he leaves. I think we are still paying Deione Sanders a few million a year on his old contract.

Doug Free can go away any time too. Maybe he can take Romo out with him.

cnjbond
February 14th, 2014, 10:50 PM
The cowboys need to draft an OL, a backup RB to share reps, a guy that can fit in as a #2 or #3 WR, a TE or someone that can push Whitten, a DE, a LB, and a DB. That is pretty much every position, they need to let go of Demarcus Ware, Jason Whitten, and Miles Austin, they will save close to 9 Million on their salary cap. Why are they paying Orlando Scandrick so much too?
Dallas is looking pretty decent at receiver because they still have Dez, Williams and Beasley. Gavin Escobar is SUPPOSED to be the heir apparent of Whitten (they better hope he is since they drafted him so high)! Jerruh ALWAYS overpays on contracts for mediocre players.

onetime
February 15th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I'd keep Ware and Witten if possible. Maybe they can renegotiate their contracts. Austin and Scandrick should be history. Neither are worth a fraction of what they are being paid.
They have a #2 WR - Terrance Williams. They need a #3 - and shouldn't be hard to find one. Just don't use a high draft pick or grab some ultra-expensive free agent. There are plenty out there. Seeing Clowney from South Carolina will be long gone by the time they get their draft pick, I'd look at a DB/S or LB. Plenty good ones in this draft. Trade Demarcus Ware and pick up a possible late 1st round pick up to a 3rd round pick and do the same with Whitten. History has shown that you can not win with guys with the bloated contracts at the back end of their career. They do not win with them anyway, you have to keep Romo, but shed the rest of the fat contracts.

onetime
February 15th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Well, wherever Austin goes, you can be sure he's making a ton of money. Makes me wonder what Jerry still will wind up paying him after he leaves. I think we are still paying Deione Sanders a few million a year on his old contract.

Doug Free can go away any time too. Maybe he can take Romo out with him.

This is not baseball, if you get cut you get cut and they no longer have to pay you. They get the initial signing bonus and that is up front.

kantwin
February 15th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Y'all can dream, can't you?
http://www.empiresports.co/breaking-news-cowboys-qb-tony-romo-traded-to-houston-texans-for-1-overall-pick/

CenTexDave
February 15th, 2014, 11:18 AM
If Jerry had half a brain (which he obviously doesn't) the Cowboys would look much different this coming September.
But he will hang onto the overpriced, older players who are at the end of their careers.
If Witten gets any slower he'll be running backwards. Ware is starting to get injured a lot now. His best days are long behind him.
Gotta free up that cap money or they'll be stuck in mediocrity for another 3 years.

cnjbond
February 15th, 2014, 12:07 PM
This is not baseball, if you get cut you get cut and they no longer have to pay you. They get the initial signing bonus and that is up front.

They may not pay the player directly but it still counts against their salary cap.

sojourner truth
February 15th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Well, they probably need to do some repair in their defense, that's for sure. Their new coach needs to rethink whatever it is he's got going on now.

cnjbond
March 11th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Today is the day that the Boys make a decision on D' Ware...it'll be pretty interesting to see which way they go!

CenTexDave
March 11th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I hope he agrees to just restructure his contract so they can keep him. One of the few good guys they have left.

cnjbond
March 11th, 2014, 1:07 PM
I hope he agrees to just restructure his contract so they can keep him. One of the few good guys they have left.
But the question is how much does HE have left to justify paying him top dollar even with a reworked contract? I like him too but he might be better served going somewhere that he can compete for a Super bowl before he retires cause it ain't happening no time soon with my Boys...

Night Owl
March 11th, 2014, 1:45 PM
Since they went back to the 4-3 Ware is now a DE and is out of position. They need to let him go but Jerry has a habit of keeping players past their prime.

CenTexDave
March 11th, 2014, 2:03 PM
I know he's out of position. Plus he was injured a lot last year. Time is catching up with him. But he still is probably better than what they can find in free agency and the draft.

Night Owl
March 11th, 2014, 2:23 PM
I know he's out of position. Plus he was injured a lot last year. Time is catching up with him. But he still is probably better than what they can find in free agency and the draft.
They need to draft a true DE and DT. They also need to get a young QB for the future.

CenTexDave
March 11th, 2014, 2:45 PM
And don't forget the secondary.
They have so many holes than they make a slice of Swiss cheese look whole.

Rick
March 11th, 2014, 3:21 PM
Cowboys To Release DeMarcus Ware, But Where (And What) Should He Play? (http://www.kcentv.com/story/24946134/cowboys-to-release-demarcus-ware-but-where-and-what-should-he-play)

(SI.com) -- From 2005 through '12, DeMarcus Ware was one of the best and most consistent pass-rushers in the NFL. The first-round pick out of Troy more than lived up to his small-school hype, amassing 111 sacks in his first eight seasons at the left and right outside linebacker positions in the Dallas Cowboys' defenses. But when Jerry Jones fired defensive coordinator Rob Ryan after the 2012 campaign and replaced him with Monte Kiffin, Ware and bookend Anthony Spencer suddenly became the lightest pair of defensive ends in the league. It most certainly didn't work out for Spencer, who lost all but one game of the 2013 season to microfracture surgery.

And it didn't work for Ware in more subtle ways. He missed the first games of his NFL career — three in total — as the Cowboys gasped to yet another 8-8 season and Ware tabbed just six sacks (his lowest total ever) while dealing with elbow, back, and quadriceps issues. One could say that this was the inevitable effect of aging, and Ware did turn 31 in 2013. But there's also a possibility that the position switch from outside linebacker to defensive end exacerbated issues that might or might not have been there otherwise.

Now, the Cowboys have cut Ware, primarily because he refused to take a fairly massive pay cut. And for those teams looking to take a shot at him, a return to outside linebacker could well be the best way to extend his career. That's the opinion of Greg Ellis, who played alongside Ware in Dallas' lines from 2005 through '08.

CenTexDave
March 11th, 2014, 3:58 PM
It's official - they just waived him.
So there goes the all-time sack leader for the Cowboys. Hatcher will most assuredly sign with another team.
I don't know where Jones thinks he's gonna find replacements for these guys, especially with holes in the secondary and OL. Also needs to get a young QB to sit on the bench for a year or two and learn.
Cowboys, as usual, will be mediocre and finish 8-8 or even worse.

cnjbond
March 11th, 2014, 8:44 PM
Looks like Miles will be gone too after 1 June. All smart moves by the Boys but I somehow think Jerruh will still find a way to mess things up but hopefully I'm wrong!

CenTexDave
March 11th, 2014, 9:58 PM
He'll replace Ware with Julius Peppers whom the Bears just waived. :))

onetime
March 11th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Great move by the cowboys, Austin will equally great whenever it happens. They need to find a legit number 2 or number 3 wideout to compliment Bryant. The RB position needs to be filled as well with a legit guy that can spell Murray. It would be a waste of time for the cowboys to draft a Qb anywhere above the 4th round, can someone please tell me how many of these so call insurance qb draft picks actually ever work out? Teams usually go and draft a high pick at QB once their main guys go down, the TE position is one that is bloated, they need to release Whitten and pick up a quality free agent at a quarter of the cost. They are not winning with these guys as it is, why not blow it up.

CenTexDave
March 11th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Terrace Williams is a good number 2 WR. Plenty out there in free agency for RB's, and they shouldn't cost much this year.

Night Owl
March 11th, 2014, 11:59 PM
Great move by the cowboys, Austin will equally great whenever it happens. They need to find a legit number 2 or number 3 wideout to compliment Bryant. The RB position needs to be filled as well with a legit guy that can spell Murray. It would be a waste of time for the cowboys to draft a Qb anywhere above the 4th round, can someone please tell me how many of these so call insurance qb draft picks actually ever work out? Teams usually go and draft a high pick at QB once their main guys go down, the TE position is one that is bloated, they need to release Whitten and pick up a quality free agent at a quarter of the cost. They are not winning with these guys as it is, why not blow it up.
Did you consult will Al and Jesse before posting?

cnjbond
March 12th, 2014, 9:03 AM
They are not winning with these guys as it is, why not blow it up.
Because Jerruh thinks they are one top draft pick and a couple of free agents away from winning the Super bowl....EVERY COTTON PICKIN' YEAR!!!!

kantwin
March 12th, 2014, 10:17 AM

CenTexDave
March 12th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I hope Ware signs with a team that still uses the 3-4 defense. He still has a couple good years left in him.
Lots of movement, and huge money, in this year's free agency which just started yesterday. I'm kind of surprised Jerry hasn't sold the farm already for some over the hill player. (Can you see Julius Peppers in a Cowboys' uniform??). :)

sojourner truth
March 12th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Jerrys top picks are all still in jail or on probation... Or rehab.

cnjbond
March 12th, 2014, 2:27 PM
Well D ware is officially gone...at least he has a chance to go to the Super bowl now. Thanks for the memories and good luck with the Broncos!

demarcus-ware-agrees-to-contract-terms-with-the-denver-broncos (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20140312-demarcus-ware-agrees-to-contract-terms-with-the-denver-broncos.ece)

CenTexDave
March 12th, 2014, 3:51 PM
So is Miles Austin. Dallas just cut him.

CenTexDave
March 13th, 2014, 8:53 PM
Jason Hatcher just signed with the Redskins.
Nice work Dallas.

cnjbond
March 14th, 2014, 12:54 AM
Jason Hatcher just signed with the Redskins.
Nice work Dallas.
At least Ware had enough respect not to talk to any teams in the NFC East, that speaks volumes to me. I read an article that said Hatcher was an ok player in the 3-4 but REALLY blossomed when Dallas changed to the 4-3, but guess what the Redskins run...3-4, so it looks like a trip back to mediocrity for Hatcher.

I think Dallas is putting a lot of faith in Marinelli that he'll be able to transform whatever D-lineman they draft or pickup in free agency into a decent to good player...look at what he did with the no names they picked up off the streets. Yeah granted their defense was the worst in the league last year and it's hard get worse than worst but I really think it could've been worse without him being there.

Hopefully Dallas will get younger on the defense side of the ball and NOT bring in any players that already have a history of injuries!

CenTexDave
March 14th, 2014, 8:37 AM
Redskins use both the 3-4 and 4-3.
That is the key, Mr. Bond - get younger. Ware and Hatcher both have another year or two left in the tank, but they money they commanded was ridiculous. Whether the Boys can find adequate replacements remains to be seen. The really good ones will be quick in the draft.
Also read the Skins are going after Anthony Spencer. Whether Spencer has anything left in the tank after that injury remains to be seen.
So basically, Dallas is gonna need a whole new defensive front. Need a new defensive backfield too. :)

CenTexDave
March 14th, 2014, 4:51 PM
And the Bears just resigned Peanut Tillman. Although he missed 8 games due to injury last season, he still had a good year with 3 INT and his specialty - 3 Forced Fumbles.

cnjbond
March 15th, 2014, 3:05 AM
Redskins use both the 3-4 and 4-3.
That is the key, Mr. Bond - get younger. Ware and Hatcher both have another year or two left in the tank, but they money they commanded was ridiculous. Whether the Boys can find adequate replacements remains to be seen. The really good ones will be quick in the draft.
Also read the Skins are going after Anthony Spencer. Whether Spencer has anything left in the tank after that injury remains to be seen.
So basically, Dallas is gonna need a whole new defensive front. Need a new defensive backfield too. :)
Marinelli likes to throw bodies at the QB so he just needs guys on the line that are average to good players, can understand their role and execute. If they can find 1 or 2 play makers on the line then that's an even bigger bonus.

That secondary has been an issue for Dallas every since Darren Woodson retired. I don't know why it has been so cotton pickin' hard for them to get a solid safety...I'm not even asking for one as good as Woody, just a solid safety. I think that alone would do wonders for improving the play of the CBs!

cnjbond
March 17th, 2014, 3:17 PM
Cowboys are reported to have signed Brandon Weeden to a 2yr deal. He's certainly not the QB in waiting at 31yrs old and his numbers definitely don't show him being any better than Kyle Orton...

dallas-cowboys-sign-qb-brandon-weeden-to-two-year-contract (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/dallas-cowboys-sign-qb-brandon-weeden-to-two-year-contract.html/)

CenTexDave
March 17th, 2014, 3:50 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that clown couldn't even stay in the Browns' starting lineup, what does Jerry think he'll do here? :)):)):))

cnjbond
March 17th, 2014, 4:04 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! If that clown couldn't even stay in the Browns' starting lineup, what does Jerry think he'll do here? :)):)):))
He can't even be considered the QB of the future because he's already 31yrs old...only 3yrs younger than Romo! Sad, just sad!

CenTexDave
March 18th, 2014, 9:23 PM
The Cowboys have signed DT Henry Melton, formerly of the Bears.
He should fit right in with the Boys' - arrested last December for public intoxicification and assault. :))

cnjbond
March 24th, 2014, 2:19 PM
Stop the presses, has someone stolen the rose colored glasses that Jerruh and Stephen have been wearing all these years and NOW they finally see the light?!!!

New plan for Cowboys: Stephen Jones reveals Dallas steering away from players over 30 years old (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/cowboys-and-stephen-jones-reluctant-to-keep-paying-players-past-their-prime-if-we-dont-learn-from-what-has-bitten-us-then-shame-on-us.html/)

“If we don’t learn from what has bitten us then shame on us,’’ said Stephen Jones, the team’s chief operating officer. “Unfortunately, we have been paying guys who are over 30 years old a lot of money up front and it hasn’t worked for us.

CenTexDave
March 24th, 2014, 3:48 PM
Virtually all clubs do it. Until all owners agree to stop the madness of paying some 34 year old $10M a year it will continue.

cnjbond
March 24th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Virtually all clubs do it. Until all owners agree to stop the madness of paying some 34 year old $10M a year it will continue.
Some clubs just do it better...a lot better!

CenTexDave
March 25th, 2014, 10:12 AM
You mean some other clubs are better at judging talent??? :):))

CenTexDave
March 28th, 2014, 3:13 PM
The Eagles just cut DeSean Jackson. He would really fit in with Dallas - is a reported member of the Crips in LA. :)