PDA

View Full Version : Donations as a Result of a Misunderstanding

Rick
November 28th, 2013, 9:35 AM
There was a misunderstanding that came about as a result of the "New Ads" thread and Grammar Rules thought that I needed donations in order to keep the forum running. So she very generously sent me a check for $50.

I felt very uncomfortable about this (I don't mind using the site to earn money through ads, but I feel bad if people donate. Does that make sense?) so I asked her if it would be okay if I used the money to buy toys for the toy drive that we have at work. The toys that are collected will go to a local women's shelter.

Of course, she thought that would be a great use of the money. So I went to the PX and bought some toys.
http://www.centextalk.com/pics/toys.jpg

The past few years, the donations have gone to the Families in Crisis (http://www.familiesincrisis.net/index.php) center in Killeen. This year will probably be the same, but that hasn't been confirmed by my coworker who runs the toy drive.

xzochye
November 28th, 2013, 10:16 AM
There was a misunderstanding that came about as a result of the "New Ads" thread and Grammar Rules thought that I needed donations in order to keep the forum running. So she very generously sent me a check for $50.

I felt very uncomfortable about this (I don't mind using the site to earn money through ads, but I feel bad if people donate. Does that make sense?) so I asked her if it would be okay if I used the money to buy toys for the toy drive that we have at work. The toys that are collected will go to a local women's shelter.

Of course, she thought that would be a great use of the money. So I went to the PX and bought some toys.
http://www.centextalk.com/pics/toys.jpg

The past few years, the donations have gone to the Families in Crisis (http://www.familiesincrisis.net/index.php) center in Killeen. This year will probably be the same, but that hasn't been confirmed by my coworker who runs the toy drive.

Rick, find out if they need any help delivering the toys to the kids. If so, we would love to help! We did it one year in Pflugerville and I absolutely loved seeing the smiles on the little ones faces. A very humbling experience.

Rick
November 28th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Ill ask. Usually what happens is that when we have our Christmas lunch, the director and a couple people from the staff comes and has lunch and picks up the toys.

Grammar Rules
November 28th, 2013, 10:41 AM
The toys are great choices. Thanks again, Rick!

ClickaNerd
November 28th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I PP'd you to kick in on this ...
Happy Thanksgiving!

Rick
November 28th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Awesome Shawn. Thank you.

Now I have to go shopping for twice as many toys. :thumbsup

Rick
December 2nd, 2013, 1:07 PM
Here are the toys that I bought with Shawn's donation.

Thank you Shawn.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/03/8eve6e8a.jpg

ClickaNerd
December 2nd, 2013, 2:17 PM
I really like the idea of little kids getting stuff as a surprise for Christmas.

I hope that whoever does the presenting of the presents snaps pictures of the little kids faces and puts them on this thread.

Rick - you should form one of those "toys for tots" - or similar type non profit organizations.

Make it simple to fund through Paypal.

Who cant give a few bucks to see little kids smile ?

Incidentally, play dough is an excellent toy - right up there with a slinky!

Rick
December 2nd, 2013, 2:29 PM
Since the donations are going to Families in Crisis, there is a lot of confidentiality involved, and understandably so.

You just have to know the joy that your gifts bring to these families at a tough time for them.

Night Owl
December 2nd, 2013, 4:06 PM
I really like the idea of little kids getting stuff as a surprise for Christmas.

I hope that whoever does the presenting of the presents snaps pictures of the little kids faces and puts them on this thread.

Rick - you should form one of those "toys for tots" - or similar type non profit organizations.

Make it simple to fund through Paypal.

Who cant give a few bucks to see little kids smile ?

Incidentally, play dough is an excellent toy - right up there with a slinky!
Ever try to dig play dough out of a kids ears or nose? Ain't pretty. A niece put her play dough, packed may be a better word, and a trip to the emergency room was needed to remove the play dough.

ClickaNerd
December 2nd, 2013, 4:20 PM
Never thought of that night owl ...

I just remember using mom's cookie cutters and making fake cookies with play dough.

I did eat some a few times and topped it with the school white paste in the jar.

Scarlett
December 2nd, 2013, 7:04 PM

I just remember using mom's cookie cutters and making fake cookies with play dough.

I did eat some a few times and topped it with the school white paste in the jar.

This really explains a lot.
;)

Scarlett
December 2nd, 2013, 7:08 PM
Best part of the Christmas season is making someone else who doesn't expect anything just FEEL GOOD.

I have a kid in one of my classes. Clearly an abused kid...has NOTHING. Was recently removed from her mother's "care" and is in a shelter awaiting placement in a foster home. Poor thing is so hungry all the time. I try to feed her something almost every day without making her feel like I am feeding her. It is kind of like, "Hey, I am stuffed, would you like this?" kind of thing.
Some of the girls in the class asked me if they collected some money could we get her some gifts before the break. So that is what they are secretly working on!
Love that about them...it is a kid who would normally be the type you would picture being bullied...but they are so patient with her.
So I am trying to ask odd questions every now and then like, "What size of shoes do you wear?" to the whole class...she is an 8...lol. I see the girl in the back of the room nod and make note of that...

CenTexDave
December 2nd, 2013, 7:23 PM
Good for you, Scarlett. Every child deserves to have a nice Christmas.

xzochye
December 2nd, 2013, 8:30 PM
Rick, find out if they need any help delivering the toys to the kids. If so, we would love to help! We did it one year in Pflugerville and I absolutely loved seeing the smiles on the little ones faces. A very humbling experience.

Dave, why was this funny?:?

bbh
December 2nd, 2013, 9:12 PM
Best part of the Christmas season is making someone else who doesn't expect anything just FEEL GOOD.

I have a kid in one of my classes. Clearly an abused kid...has NOTHING. Was recently removed from her mother's "care" and is in a shelter awaiting placement in a foster home. Poor thing is so hungry all the time. I try to feed her something almost every day without making her feel like I am feeding her. It is kind of like, "Hey, I am stuffed, would you like this?" kind of thing.
Some of the girls in the class asked me if they collected some money could we get her some gifts before the break. So that is what they are secretly working on!
Love that about them...it is a kid who would normally be the type you would picture being bullied...but they are so patient with her.
So I am trying to ask odd questions every now and then like, "What size of shoes do you wear?" to the whole class...she is an 8...lol. I see the girl in the back of the room nod and make note of that...

Those kids who want to help her........that is what I will miss the most about teaching high school students. I was constantly seeing kids showing their humanity toward others, and it made me optimistic about the future. We hear a lot about bullying and the selfishness of "young people today." Honestly? There are far more good kids than bad. I loved the interaction with those kids.

xzochye
December 2nd, 2013, 9:15 PM
I love making people happy. It makes me happy. The animal rescue group I am with has adopted a family and a children's home for Christmas so I get to go shopping for a little girl! I'm excited!

Night Owl
December 2nd, 2013, 9:24 PM

Now we know.:))

bbh
December 2nd, 2013, 10:29 PM

Let me guess.....and then you filed a pro se personal injury lawsuit against Elmer's? :)

ClickaNerd
December 2nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
Let me guess.....and then you filed a pro se personal injury lawsuit against Elmer's? :)

My fascination with law didn't kick in until I got slapped around by a billion dollar conglomerate back in the early 90's.

It was more of a "not gonna bully me around any more" sorta thing.

When I was little - never had any interest ...

:-)

bbh
December 3rd, 2013, 11:06 AM
My fascination with law didn't kick in until I got slapped around by a billion dollar conglomerate back in the early 90's.

It was more of a "not gonna bully me around any more" sorta thing.

When I was little - never had any interest ...

:-)

Darn it.....you've messed up my visual. I was seeing six-year-old child prodigy Shawn in his best little Sunday duds in a courtroom citing case law like a pro! :))

CenTexDave
December 3rd, 2013, 12:22 PM
Dave, why was this funny?:?

It is obviously not funny. Guess I clicked "LOL" by mistake. Meant to click "Like this post". Sorry, have since corrected it.

xzochye
December 3rd, 2013, 1:34 PM
It is obviously not funny. Guess I clicked "LOL" by mistake. Meant to click "Like this post". Sorry, have since corrected it.

I figured that was it. Never hurts to make sure.

siamcat
December 4th, 2013, 8:42 PM
Those kids who want to help her........that is what I will miss the most about teaching high school students. I was constantly seeing kids showing their humanity toward others, and it made me optimistic about the future. We hear a lot about bullying and the selfishness of "young people today." Honestly? There are far more good kids than bad. I loved the interaction with those kids.

Amen

For every bad story there are twenty good ones. Kids in general are caring and open-minded. I love that.

Rick
December 20th, 2013, 5:46 PM
We had the social workers from Families in Crisis come to our luncheon today and we gave them the toys that were donated.

There were a couple more bags of toys and clothes dropped off after I took these pictures.

CTT donations totaled $175.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/21/su7e7yzu.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/21/uvany4a3.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/21/vu4u9aja.jpg

The area with the lights is the TOC for my simulator. We have four different simulators in our building. Mine is the only one that decorates every year.

Grammar Rules
December 21st, 2013, 6:23 AM
Your simulator looks great, and I'm so pleased with the toys you got for the kids. Thanks for doing this!

bbh
December 21st, 2013, 7:36 AM
Good job, Rick!

Rick
December 21st, 2013, 9:07 AM
Thanks, but I'm not the one who puts this all together, that credit belongs to a co-worker. I, along with a couple of CTT members just helped.

I did cook some fantastic meatballs in BBQ sauce for the luncheon. ;)