PDA

View Full Version : Need vacuum repair and service

olderthandirt
November 18th, 2013, 3:53 PM
I have a Dyson that's about 5 years old. The rotor brushes (I'm sure I'm calling them the wrong name) at the bottom aren't turning. I've cleared out everything in them like the pet hair, but I still can't get them to spin. The handle sucker thing still works, and the motor is going. It's just not turning. Anybody know someone reliable who might be able to help?

CenTexDave
November 18th, 2013, 4:22 PM
Check the belt

Ludwig
November 18th, 2013, 4:25 PM
Check the belt

If you need help with that, PM me.

olderthandirt
November 18th, 2013, 4:27 PM
I did - there was hair stuck underneath it, and I cleared it all out. It's still attached to the rest of the machine

sojourner truth
November 18th, 2013, 4:53 PM
If anyone needs vacuum repair, BCs on 2nd street is excellent. I used to take all of the airports machines to them for reliable cheap repair. Thay are good.

I have an antique Hoover Elite II that I love, and have gone online and ordered all of the repair parts I needed to keep it in like new condition. New brushes and belts and all the body parts that get broken or worn out...I hate the newer vacuums. They suck...just not the way I want them to.

Shotgun Jeremy
November 18th, 2013, 4:53 PM
I've never worked on a dyson, but assuming its like other brands, check your belt. If its still there and tight, then your motor is shot. Double check the wires going into it, and even check for voltage, but its most likely the motor is shot....based off general vacuum knowledge.

mac
November 18th, 2013, 6:02 PM
gotta agree with SJ on this one, dirt. those folkls down there do a good job....maybe slow but they do good work and it was clear, to me, that they were honest folks....plus they got some interesting hardware items in there......mac

If anyone needs vacuum repair, BCs on 2nd street is excellent. I used to take all of the airports machines to them for reliable cheap repair. Thay are good.

I have an antique Hoover Elite II that I love, and have gone online and ordered all of the repair parts I needed to keep it in like new condition. New brushes and belts and all the body parts that get broken or worn out...I hate the newer vacuums. They suck...just not the way I want them to.

olderthandirt
November 18th, 2013, 6:14 PM
Thanks for the info -- the biggest problem will be getting there during their hours, 8-4. I'm hoping to squeeze out of school right after the kids one of these days.

mac
November 18th, 2013, 6:20 PM
they used to be open on saturdays. you said the motor was workin' so i'm bettin' that it's a real easy and simple fix.....something like a cotter pin or a key or wedge or something simple like that.......hell, it might even be layin' on or in your carpet somewhere in the area where it died.....mac

Thanks for the info -- the biggest problem will be getting there during their hours, 8-4. I'm hoping to squeeze out of school right after the kids one of these days.

Shotgun Jeremy
November 18th, 2013, 10:18 PM
If you don't have it to them by this weekend, shoot me a PM. I can stop by and give it a little look over and at least tell you if the motor is good or not.

I just read where you said the motor is goin. Are you talking about the main suction motor, or the belt driving motor? If the belt driving motor is going, but the pulley isn't turning, then try getting some GOOP, JB Weld, or something else that's very strong, coating it on the motor shaft, and then putting the pulley back on it. Let it set for 24-48 hours (just to be extra safe since you're dealing with high torque), and try running it then.

olderthandirt
November 19th, 2013, 6:01 AM
If you don't have it to them by this weekend, shoot me a PM. I can stop by and give it a little look over and at least tell you if the motor is good or not.

I just read where you said the motor is goin. Are you talking about the main suction motor, or the belt driving motor? If the belt driving motor is going, but the pulley isn't turning, then try getting some GOOP, JB Weld, or something else that's very strong, coating it on the motor shaft, and then putting the pulley back on it. Let it set for 24-48 hours (just to be extra safe since you're dealing with high torque), and try running it then.

I think I'm reading Greek…… but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

HistoryTeacher
November 25th, 2013, 6:14 PM
Mine has a little button on the side of where the brushes are housed. Maybe yours does?