PDA

View Full Version : Where are the ranges?

Mestral
October 20th, 2013, 2:19 PM
Well, I thought we had a good thread on this subject already, but...

I hereby dedicate this thread to accumulating information on nearby firing ranges that are friendly to both occasional AND frequent shooters.
Check the latest posts for pointers to directions to ranges.

Originally Posted by mac . . .
...where are you all shooting these ... but ft. hood, florence and gatesville wouldn't let me fire it on their range......mac

If it isn't full auto, Hicksville in Gatesville will have no problem with your Calico.
The only rules I have seen are against any exotic (like armor piercing) ammo, or erratic behavior.
The owner (John Hicks) is a Vietnam Vet, and his management is pretty friendly,
not anal like standard (or government run) ranges.

Hicksville is located about 3 miles from Gatesville,
and cost is typically $10 - $15 a person,
no real time limits.

Must have hearing and eye protection (duh).
He no longer allows anyone to pick up brass, as that was abused.

mac
October 20th, 2013, 2:30 PM
yeow, i've shot at hicksville several times......always at least once a year with the .243 and .300 win mag in late summer. had to zero the SiL's new .270 up there about 5 or 6 weeks ago.....went straight from the PX to the range. hicks even helped him put on his scope (he had the right screw drivers).....mac

what's a "full auto"......does that has something to do with "burst of 3"?.....mac

Well, I thought we had a good thread on this subject already, but...

I hereby dedicate this thread to accumulating information on nearby firing ranges that are friendly to both occasional AND frequent shooters.

If it isn't full auto, Hicksville in Gatesville will have no problem with your Calico.
The only rules I have seen are against any exotic (like armor piercing) ammo, or erratic behavior.
The owner (John Hicks) is a Vietnam Vet, and his management is pretty friendly,
not anal like standard (or government run) ranges.

and cost is typically $10 - $15 a person,
no real time limits.

Must have hearing and eye protection (duh).

Shotgun Jeremy
October 20th, 2013, 2:31 PM
JD does allow full auto at Hicksville. He just requires that your shots be hitting the berm. We've had full auto AK's, AR's and even a belt fed AR once. He also allows up to 20 lbs of tannerite to go off per boom. If you forget your ears or eyes, he sells ear and eye protection onsite. He also sells a wide range of targets as well-everything from clays to military targets.

www.hicksvillegunrange.com

Just a heads up, Nov 2nd will be a range meetup for texasguntalk.com. They will have a whole variety of guns out there, possibly a .50 rifle, and for sure a bunch of explosions. Oh yea-and a car to shoot at/blow up. Anyone is invited to stop in and join the fun!

mac
October 20th, 2013, 2:33 PM
did you say POUNDS?....mac

JD does allow full auto at Hicksville. He just requires that your shots be hitting the berm. We've had full auto AK's, AR's and even a belt fed AR once. He also allows up to 20 lbs of tannerite to go off per boom. If you forget your ears or eyes, he sells ear and eye protection onsite. He also sells a wide range of targets as well-everything from clays to military targets.

www.hicksvillegunrange.com

Just a heads up, Nov 2nd will be a range meetup for texasguntalk.com. They will have a whole variety of guns out there, possibly a .50 rifle, and for sure a bunch of explosions. Oh yea-and a car to shoot at/blow up. Anyone is invited to stop in and join the fun!

Shotgun Jeremy
October 20th, 2013, 2:36 PM
what's a "full auto"......does that has something to do with "burst of 3"?.....mac

Your standard pistol and gas/piston operated rifle is known as a semi-auto. That means it automatically reloads the chamber after each shot, but only once per trigger pull. 3 round burst means it does that 3 shots at a time, and full auto means it goes until you run out of ammo or the weapon has an issue.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 20th, 2013, 2:39 PM
did you say POUNDS?....mac

Yessir. He used to allow the federal limit of 50 lbs per explosion but Judy (his wife) got tired of pictures being knocked off the wall :D lol That, and when we use it on cars, it just makes to much of a mess.

20 lbs still puts off a nice boom.

mac
October 20th, 2013, 2:39 PM
so what does "auto" mean, then?

you mean for a burst of 3 i have to pull the trigger 3 times? mine must be broke......mac

Your standard pistol and gas/piston operated rifle is known as a semi-auto. That means it automatically reloads the chamber after each shot, but only once per trigger pull. 3 round burst means it does that 3 shots at a time, and full auto means it goes until you run out of ammo or the weapon has an issue.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 20th, 2013, 2:40 PM
so what does "auto" mean, then?.....mac

Thats just slang for full auto.

Mestral
October 20th, 2013, 2:41 PM
so what does "auto" mean, then?.....macHas no meaning by itself, except to the politically motivated.

mac
October 20th, 2013, 2:44 PM
hmmm, that's interesting. i alwlays thought it meant "automatic"......mac

Has no meaning by itself, except to the politically motivated.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 20th, 2013, 2:44 PM
you mean for a burst of 3 i have to pull the trigger 3 times? mine must be broke......mac

No, that means one pull of the trigger gets you three shots fired off. The gun reloads itself and fires three times. Semi auto just reloads itself but you have to pull the trigger again.

Grammar Rules
October 20th, 2013, 5:13 PM
Jeremy, how much acreage does the average range have?

sojourner truth
October 20th, 2013, 5:44 PM
The 3 round thing ,I thought, was only a feature found on the newer M16's. Used to be on full auto, when you pulled the trigger and held it, it emptied the clip. They did away with that feature right about the time I retired and changed it to the 3 round burst feature. But a fully auto AK will keep firing as long as you pull the trigger.

Least ways, the ones I fired did. Same with my old M3 grease gun. Although, with it, you couldn't hold it on target worth a flip on a 30 round clip.

Mestral
October 20th, 2013, 5:56 PM
Jeremy, how much acreage does the average range have?

I don't know how much that average range has, but if you go here:
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=Hicksville+Gun+Range&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hicksville+range+gatesville+tx+map&cid=0,0,17739157051886362473&ei=0F5kUvqjO8ep2gXS9oHYCg&sqi=2&ved=0CIwBEPwSKAAwCg
you can see Hicksville has about 5 or so dedicated to the range, sitting on what looks like about a 40 acre spread.
I could be wrong about the size of the overall spread, since I see several fence lines crossing it.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 20th, 2013, 7:48 PM
The military uses both 3 round and full auto. The air force and special navy units use full auto. Most other branches use 3 rnd burst last i checked. Full auto is very inaccurate but good for laying cover fire. The air force and special forces in the navy (and army I would think but haven't confirmed) find this useful since they send in fireteams on a lot of missions. But when you're dealing with entire platoons/companies/multiple services working together, 3 rnd burst is plenty to lay cover because you have so many people doing it while others are moving around. Plus, the guys still have crew served weapons as well. Civilians generally buy full auto simply because they're fun. Some say its to use as a defensive weapon, but unless that sucker is mounted and you have a LOT of ammo to go with it, I think they're just dreaming.

Ranges really differ in acerage(sp?). I've been to military ranges designed to let the .50 cal really stretch its legs, and those ranges go a good 5 miles deep (Camp Pendleton). I've also been to smaller ranges that are the size of an avg back yard (just glocks in cove and the one in cove out by corkys). It all depends on how long the range is and how many bays its set up to support. So far, I've been to about 15 different ranges and they're all set up different.

Hicksville is sitting on ....I wanna say about 5-7 acres and the Hicks' have a LOT of land behind it and to one side. They have up to 100 yds in the main area, and then a 600 yd on the big acerage behind the main area.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 20th, 2013, 7:54 PM
If you look on the map, and go west behind the range to the treeline-that's their fence. Then follow it north to the treeline again-that's their property line. Then follow that east to the treeline and drop back down to the road-that's all their property. Now, back west of the range, you'll see 5 white spots in a straight diagonal line-that's the 600 yd range. It shoots away from the road.

Mestral
October 22nd, 2013, 8:21 AM
I knew there was another thread on "Ranges." It was back in late Aug:

mac brought up "ft. hood, rod and gun"

xz brought up "Reds in Pflugerville"

SJ brought up "Astro Range.. Outside of Florenceville"

Ludwig gave more precise directions:
Astro Shooting Range, 300 U.S. 183 Florence, TX 78605, (512) 489-2061
Best managed range I have found for the price.

I mentioned:
Hicksville, just outside of "Mountain" about two miles E. of Gatesville.
Which ShotgunJeremy called his "second home"

So that's a recap of the former thread.

circle_c mentioned, in another thread, Yankee Gun shop in Cove has a range.
I always thought it was only for his customers, but never looked into it.
(For those who sometimes confuse the two, it isn't related to what used to be Brock's gunshop.
That one is now JT's Sport and Shooting Supply.)

sojourner truth
October 22nd, 2013, 8:31 AM
Yep...I need to take a trip out to Astro Range real soon to shoot up some older stock and check out the performance of some of the new stuff I have recently purchased...Before it gets too cold and nasty.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 22nd, 2013, 8:57 AM
I've gone by Yankee gunsmith/just glocks a few times to test out guns I've worked on. Its small, but its about a mile from my house so its convenient for quick shoots. I've been hearing gun shots going off there most of my life. Lol

Mestral
October 22nd, 2013, 9:16 AM
Astro Range Directions.

For those coming out of Killeen, take 195 to Florence.
About 1/2 mile before the Florence city limit, turn left on 138.
(The road sign just before the turn off says "Lampassas"
When 138 hits 183, turn right, and the range
is less than 1/2 mile, on the left.

For those coming out of Cove, 2657 eventually comes out at Briggs.
Turn Left, and the Range is about 2 miles or so, on the right.

Google street view has a nice clear view of the sign out front

Mestral
October 28th, 2013, 10:19 AM
The news paper mentioned Stan's Outdoor Shooting Range, and I located it along 183 about 4 miles south of Astro Range, on the opposite side of the highway. Looking at the satelite photoes, and comparing with street view, he is adding on to the place as time goes by. His web site says something about Law Enforcement using it, so he may have a contract that is bringing in enough for him to make improvements as time goes by.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 28th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I drive by it a lot. It seems pretty small...

I literally drove by it 5 times looking for it, not realizing that was the range.

mac
October 28th, 2013, 12:17 PM
i have zeroed out there quite a few times. yeow, it's kind of small and maybe not quite prime time for recreational shooting but it's certainly good enough for pre-season zeroing. pistol ranges aren't all that bad either it's really rudimentary, really just the basics but it's not really all that bad....mac

I drive by it a lot. It seems pretty small...

I literally drove by it 5 times looking for it, not realizing that was the range.

mac
October 28th, 2013, 12:19 PM
i think i've already asked this but didn't get an answer. do any of you know of any ranges set up for steel silouette targets?.....mac

Mestral
October 28th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Hicksville has a few steel silhouettes on the pistol range,
and a few steel knockdown targets,
but no steel knockdowns.

I have a friend that shoots rifle there, and he says they have a steel target,
about 4ft diameter on the rifle range, but don't think it is a silhouette.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 28th, 2013, 12:58 PM
The steel targets on the rifle range are used on the 600 yd range. The closest one to you at that range is the 200 yd. The pistol range has 4 silhouettes and 3 or 4 sets of knockdown targets. They also have a texas star and a swinging target. If you're really feeling up to the challenge, they have an ax blade that you hang a balloon on each side of and try to split the bullet to pop both balloons.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 28th, 2013, 1:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCyllxkZ6fk
JD (Range owner) Splitting the bullet with a 1911 he's only fired once before (the first time was a test shot to sight in the gun right before this video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lF2y30Aan8
A gun competition where a guy with a Smith and Wesson 500 competes against a semi-auto....and wins!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiuZj0jamQ
40 Lbs of tannerite in the back seat of a caddy. Apologize for the poor audio and video. The video is partially due to me not wiping off the screen to my camera box before recording. The audio is due to the camera sitting inside a heavily re-inforced ammo box converted to protect a video camera.

Mestral
October 28th, 2013, 1:27 PM
Reminder, the first post in this thread said the last (or near last) post would have pointers to directions to ranges.

OK, so now we have:

Hicksville near Gatesville . . post numbers 1 3 14 25 26 27 in this thread

And on 183 near Florence:
Astro . . . post numbers 17 and 20
and
Stans. . . Post numbers 21 and 23

And one at "Just Glocks" in Cove. 17 19

mac
October 28th, 2013, 3:15 PM
i guess i messed my question all up which is prob'ly why it wasn't answered the first time. i'm talkin' 'bout the steel grouse, turkey, hog and ram targets. do we have a range set up anywhere's closer than ft. smith for that type of shooting?....mac

The steel targets on the rifle range are used on the 600 yd range. The closest one to you at that range is the 200 yd. The pistol range has 4 silhouettes and 3 or 4 sets of knockdown targets. They also have a texas star and a swinging target. If you're really feeling up to the challenge, they have an ax blade that you hang a balloon on each side of and try to split the bullet to pop both balloons.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 28th, 2013, 3:34 PM
They do-but not that big. They have steel rodent targets. Groundhogs, I think a chicken or two....i don't pay them much attention. May be a pig in there.

Mestral
October 28th, 2013, 3:38 PM
They do-but not that big. They have steel rodent targets. Groundhogs, I think a chicken or two....i don't pay them much attention. May be a pig in there.Pig would be appropriate, as that is something needs to be shot around here.

Mestral
April 2nd, 2014, 10:32 AM
I ran across a CHL instructor today at Academy.

He works for (or maybe he 'is') B&G Security Solutions PLLC.
He said conducts his classes out of Fudrucers (I think that is the restaurant he mentioned) and a private gun range 7 miles south of Killeen.
his website is www.bgsecuritysolutions.com
His card lists several different kinds of classes,
and I have no earthly idea if he is any good,
but he is local, so I thought I would mention him here,
along with a pointer to the Texas Defender thread.

This one (not the one directly above, in this post) is the one Rick went to, and he seemed to think it was good.
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php/20182-Texas-Defender-in-Georgetown

Again, I have no idea if B&G Security Solutions is any good, just mentioning him cause he is local.

Shotgun Jeremy
April 2nd, 2014, 11:44 AM
http://www.kaasechs.com/home.htm

This guy is local, professional, friendly, laid back, knowledgeable, and will help you get everything set up that he can possibly do. Hell, he'll even make you a decent concealed carry holster on the spot as an extra if you want to buy one off him. He does his classes at Hicksville, and has been doing them there for a few years now with no problem. I can't attest to anyone else, and hell-I even went through someone else for my own CHL. But I did sit through one of Kaase's class's to see how he does things, and I can now recommend him with full confidence. If you have a decent size group of people and a place to shoot, he'll even come to you to do his class. Real good dude.

Mestral
April 4th, 2014, 8:02 AM
Almost couldn't find the posts about the meetup (http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php/20086-Texas-Gun-Talk-range-meet-April-5-2014?p=306536#post306536) this weekend. Then discovered you put them under "Miscellaneous"

I won't be out this weekend 'cause I have to work (in addition to being slightly crowd-averse). I was out there yesterday, and Mr. Hicks knows you, both by name, and by nym. He has been busy, and has quite a bit of work to do before the meet-up. The weather has been hell on his berms, from the looks of things, and he is rebuilding some of his steel targets. Annoyed me a bit to see some of his steel looks like people have been shooting the wrong ammo at them (I know what those things cost and what his rules are). All of us got to watch each other's six, and that includes keeping each other in line.

Y'all have fun though and keep your powder dry.
And BTW, somebody bring those dogs some
new, old tennis balls (especially the small, deaf, one),
they seem to have eaten the ones they had.

Mestral
September 4th, 2014, 3:09 PM
A couple recent gun range closures have brought to my attention, the need to update this thread.

Hicksville gun range is closed.
We don't have a definitive why, or for how long.

I have heard Stans on 183 was sold and is closed, but have not confirmed that.

Texas Star Gun range between Copperas Cove and Topsey has been expanding,
and I hope to post more news from them soon.

Mestral
October 17th, 2014, 2:53 PM
Hicksville gun range is open.

They had been closed due to some family matters,
despite what rumors may have been promoted by a former employee.

Still no definitive word on Stan's gun range on 183.

I will get around to telling about Texas Star Gun range soon.

Shotgun Jeremy
October 18th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Hicksville Gun Range has bumped up their price $5. So it's now 15 to shoot paper all day and 20 if you want to add in steel. JD has also closed down the long range until he can make some improvements. 100 yd range is still open.

Mestral
October 18th, 2014, 10:43 AM
It is also $5 extra if you want to shoot more than one range, like rifle range and pistol range.
But $20 still covers everything except the $1 per target if you buy your targets there.

rk103
October 20th, 2014, 1:57 PM
A couple recent gun range closures have brought to my attention, the need to update this thread.

Hicksville gun range is closed.
We don't have a definitive why, or for how long.

I have heard Stans on 183 was sold and is closed, but have not confirmed that.

Texas Star Gun range between Copperas Cove and Topsey has been expanding,
and I hope to post more news from them soon.

Stans is open, new name on sign ASR or something. No details, just drove by and saw it.

Mestral
May 23rd, 2015, 6:07 AM
Just a note to keep this thread up to date. There haven't been any new ranges
mentioned here in the past few months, so if anyone has any news, or knows
of any ranges we haven't discussed, here is an excellent place to tell us.

Meanwhile, discussions of local ranges can be found in the following posts.

and
Stans. . . Post numbers 21 and 23 (seems to have a new name)

In Cove "Just Glocks" posts 17 19

between Copperas Cove and Topsey Texas Star Gun rang

Anyone who thinks I should add something to this "micro index," just let me know.

Grammar Rules
July 12th, 2015, 4:52 PM
Joy joy, y'all. New gun range and course opening in Temple.

http://www.hawkeyeacademy.com/

mac
July 12th, 2015, 5:01 PM

i believe it's indoor only......but even so, that sure makes zeroing a lot easier......mac (450 bucks is kind of steep. i need to find out if that allows me to bring a guest (aka SiL).......mac

Dagobert II
July 12th, 2015, 5:14 PM

http://www.hawkeyeacademy.com/ From the link:
TammyJo McCleney – Licensed Instructor

Licensed Police Officer in the State of Texas for 23 years
Advanced Peace Officer’s certificate
Licensed CHL instructor for the State of Texas
Certified NRA firearms instructor
Licensed TCOLE Law Enforcement instructor
Certified crime prevention specialist
Certified SFST practitioner
Certified field training officer
Highway narcotics interdiction graduate
Graduate of the Travis County Sheriff’s Academy and the Austin Police Academy
Former officer/detective and academy instructor for the Austin Police Department
Currently a Police Officer serving at the Belton Police Department

Professional Experience

Street level patrol
Narcotics interdiction
TABC enforcement
Gangs
Vice undercover decoy
Police recruiter / background investigator
Street response detective
Arrest review detective
Community Liaison Specialist

Awards

Officer of the year 1993 – Austin Police Department
Outstanding Community Service Award 1994 – Austin Police Department
Outstanding Employee Award 1995 – Austin Police Department

Class Schedule More information coming soon

Question: Oath Keeper? http://www.oathkeepers.org/

Mestral
July 12th, 2015, 5:22 PM
From the link: Question: Oath Keeper? http://www.oathkeepers.org/
That is a good question.

Grammar Rules
July 12th, 2015, 6:22 PM
Why don't y'all bring a proctoscope and speculum when you show up? Better still, just keep going wherever you've been going.

Ludwig
July 12th, 2015, 7:03 PM
That is a good question.

Travis County... I doubt they even know what oath keeping is, much less join Oath Keepers. I could be wrong though. Some folks do see the light and convert.

Mestral
July 13th, 2015, 7:26 AM
Why don't y'all bring a proctoscope and speculum when you show up? Better still, just keep going wherever you've been going.It would be interesting to show up with the med tools,
but I do think I might keep going where I have been. The range fees are less,
I like the environment, and the owner is 2nd Amendment friendly.

Grammar Rules
July 13th, 2015, 9:08 AM
Travis County... I doubt they even know what oath keeping is, much less join Oath Keepers. I could be wrong though. Some folks do see the light and convert.

Notice she left for Belton PD and opened her range in Temple. Travis County isn't as range-friendly as theses parts.

Meanwhile, I want to give a 22 rifle that belonged to my father-in-law to his nephew. How hard is that to ship?

sojourner truth
July 13th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Depends on where you are shipping it to. My dad had a 35 Remington rifle he wanted me to have when he dies, and it had to be sent to a licensed gun dealer in order to get shipped. Of course the dealer gets a fee for being the middle man.

Most states I know of require a dealer as a middle man to ship a weapon. In Texas, it is probably just easier to drive to the location of the recipient and give them the gun.

Some states don't like guns coming in, and make guns going out painfully expensive. I never got my dads gun because of the hassle my sisters had to go through in California to ship it... I just told them to never mind.

Grammar Rules
July 13th, 2015, 11:23 AM
It's in Florida, and I'm not going to drive there. ;) No, my aunt-in-law and I have it worked out. I'll go to a gun shop here and have it shipped to one in her town. Maybe I'll take it to the new Temple gun range!

mac
July 13th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Depends on where you are shipping it to. My dad had a 35 Remington rifle he wanted me to have when he dies, and it had to be sent to a licensed gun dealer in order to get shipped. Of course the dealer gets a fee for being the middle man.

Most states I know of require a dealer as a middle man to ship a weapon. In Texas, it is probably just easier to drive to the location of the recipient and give them the gun.

Some states don't like guns coming in, and make guns going out painfully expensive. I never got my dads gun because of the hassle my sisters had to go through in California to ship it... I just told them to never mind.

Sojourner: l that .35 caliber ain't by any chance a winchester lever action, is it?......if so, do your sisters still have it.....is it for sale?.....mac

mac
July 13th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Notice she left for Belton PD and opened her range in Temple. Travis County isn't as range-friendly as theses parts.

Meanwhile, I want to give a 22 rifle that belonged to my father-in-law to his nephew. How hard is that to ship?

very hard to ship......have to do the whole thing from atf holder thru atf holder and may have to pay both the sending holder AND the receiving holder. where does the nephew live?.....mac

Grammar Rules
July 13th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Florida, mac. I just got back from visiting all of that side of the family,but my sis-in-law and I flew there. I'm not up for driving there.

mac
July 13th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Florida, mac. I just got back from visiting all of that side of the family,but my sis-in-law and I flew there. I'm not up for driving there.

would they be willing to come to orlando or kissime to pick it up?.....mac

Night Owl
July 13th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Granny is the gun registered? If so, in who's name?

Grammar Rules
July 13th, 2015, 12:09 PM
would they be willing to come to orlando or kissime to pick it up?.....mac

They're in Tampa, so I'm sure they would. If you're going and shipping is too much of a hassle, that would be great.

Grammar Rules
July 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Granny is the gun registered? If so, in who's name?

Good grief, no. It's probably over 70 years old. I think my father-in-law was a Boy Scout when he owned it, and he was born in the 20s.

mac
July 13th, 2015, 12:14 PM
They're in Tampa, so I'm sure they would. If you're going and shipping is too much of a hassle, that would be great.

OK, I'll be PM'ing you later on this winter with an address and everything to bring it to. It's not "modified" in anyway, is it?..... the only reason i ask is because just befor my ha i drove up to Athens to pick up a crackshot 26 only to find out that the barrell was only 8" long when I got there....and had to drive back down here with that dammed thing in the car!.....knowin' all the while that that's exactly what the feds did to randy weaver to justify their ruby ridge actions....mac

Dagobert II
July 13th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Things may have changed, but when I purchased my M-60 it was delivered from the factory to the class III dealer via United Parcel Service and I picked it up from him. My mother also shipped a highly modified M-1 Garand to my Texas residence from California by simply taking it to the United Parcel Service shipping center. A few days later it was on my front porch.

This was all before the advent of Obamunism, of course.

Grammar Rules
July 13th, 2015, 12:55 PM
C
OK, I'll be PM'ing you later on this winter with an address and everything to bring it to. It's not "modified" in anyway, is it?..... the only reason i ask is because just befor my ha i drove up to Athens to pick up a crackshot 26 only to find out that the barrell was only 8" long when I got there....and had to drive back down here with that dammed thing in the car!.....knowin' all the while that that's exactly what the feds did to randy weaver to justify their ruby ridge actions....mac

The only modification is that the old man carved his name and a palm tree into the wood...:-)
True Tampa boy back then.

The stress probably hastened your heart attack. Jeez.

Mestral
September 11th, 2015, 4:35 PM
Just got back from Hicksville. Things pretty much the same there.

She said they had to take out the tactical assault lane.
People wouldn't follow the rules, so it is gone.
Planning a 50 yard and 75 yard target range in its place.

(I think they might still have a shotgun course, I forgot to ask)

Keeping this thread up to date.

Grammar Rules mentioned a range opening in Temple. Post #41 in this thread.

If anyone has any news, or knows of any ranges we haven't discussed, here is an excellent place to tell us.

Meanwhile, discussions of local ranges can be found in the following posts.

and
Stans. . . Post numbers 21 and 23 (seems to have a new name)

In Cove "Just Glocks" posts 17 19

between Copperas Cove and Topsey Texas Star Gun rang

Anyone who thinks I should add something to this "micro index," just let me know.

mac
September 11th, 2015, 6:09 PM

rod and gun at ft. hood....and, of course, Webers out there 'tween temple and Waco......mac

Mestral
September 11th, 2015, 7:54 PM
Webers out there 'tween temple and Waco......mac
Not familiar with that one. Will have to look into it.

Shotgun Jeremy
September 11th, 2015, 9:27 PM
Webers is pricey and the RO's are Nazis from what I hear. I'll pass for now.

Shotgun Jeremy
September 11th, 2015, 9:28 PM
I hear a new indoor range opened in temple:

http://www.hawkeyeacademy.com

Never mind - it's already been linked

mac
September 11th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Webers is pricey and the RO's are Nazis from what I hear. I'll pass for now.

well.....i don't know 'bout the "nazis" business.....i mean, they are careful, I'll give you that. I kind of like the place. once they know you the ROs kind of leave you alone. don't know when i saw a RO last....mac

Shotgun Jeremy
September 11th, 2015, 11:32 PM
That's a refreshing view point. I've heard nothing but negativity elsewhere.

Mestral
September 12th, 2015, 11:09 AM
rod and gun at ft. hood....and, of course, Webers out there 'tween temple and Waco......mac
Just looked it up. Gun store and range, plus has paintball stuff too.
http://www.webersguns.com/

Range is separate from the store, which is inside Temple.

The address they give for the range is 14757 N. I-35 Troy Texas
Which I found on google maps about 1 mile north of Troy on the right side of the highway

Weber's Outdoors
Troy, Texas
(254) 938-0415
Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 10am-Dark
Saturday & Sunday 8am-Dark

Range prices are pretty steep if you are just going to be there a couple hours,
but the have membership rates and I assume they are better (didn't stop to do the math)

mac
September 12th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Just looked it up. Gun store and range, plus has paintball stuff too.

Range is separate from the store, which is inside Temple.

The address they give for the range is 14757 N. I-35 Troy Texas
Which I found on google maps about 1 mile north of Troy on the right side of the highway

Weber's Outdoors
Troy, Texas
(254) 938-0415
Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 10am-Dark
Saturday & Sunday 8am-Dark

Range prices are pretty steep if you are just going to be there a couple hours,
but the have membership rates and I assume they are better (didn't stop to do the math)

yeow, that's about the way I recall it. I haven't been there since my heart attack but as I recall, it's best to exit on 310, otherwise you may have to turn around, and around again. they also have a store on site and a gunsmith....mac

Mestral
October 14th, 2015, 3:32 PM
Just got back from Hicksville. The 50 meter line is coming along nicely.
It is usable, although they haven't put an overhang there, so if you
are there at noon, you are in the direct sun.

There had been a lot of shooters there recently, but this morning my
wife and I had the range mostly to ourselves. Some maintenance being
done nearby. Thankfully, the maintenance workers weren't where they
could see how I shot or they would have been too busy laughing to get
any work done :)

The RO was sitting nearby checking email or reading a book on one of
them newfangled gadgets, but left after a while. Probably to look for
a barn door for me to use as a target :) I have been going there for
a few years, so even though I don't go often, they know me.

Mestral
March 25th, 2016, 5:23 PM
One of our other members, munnie62 (http://www.centextalk.com/vb/member.php/3041-munnie62) brought us news of another range. Indoor range on Highway 195. Don't know much else about it.

They posted the info to this thread:
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php/23524-Indoor-Gun-Range-on-195
http://mountaincreekrange.com/

CenTexDave
March 26th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Nearest range in Killeen is probably underground in that mosque. :)

Mestral
July 13th, 2017, 11:52 AM
A couple of comments about gun ranges around here brought to mind that
it might be time to update this thread again. This is just a bump until I, or
others, can get around to doing some research.

mac
July 13th, 2017, 12:55 PM
A couple of comments about gun ranges around here brought to mind that
it might be time to update this thread again. This is just a bump until I, or
others, can get around to doing some research.

i still like the one out by Troy. I usea it quite a bit since I can no longer use the Rod and Gun facilities......well, that's not quite true, I can still use the Rod and Gun facilities but in order to take any of my firearms out there, I have to register them.....and, I just ain't gonna do that.....it's a pity but I'll drive half way to Waco and back first.....costs me money and also costs the Rod and Gun, not to mention the NAF money.....in fact, their Skeet Range out there is just about ready to close up......some guys even think that was the intent....ie, to drive customers away. seems like you always have the conspiracists around.....mac

fchafey
July 13th, 2017, 1:05 PM
I am not a conspiracy theorist either, but I think if the powers that could stop the hunting, skeet shooting and recreational shooting at Sportsman's range that would make them happy as ever. No more tasked Soldiers to support that. I had an issue with some hunters on WFH and it came down to the fact the BDE CSM cut a drug deal for the ENG BDE to build a running track and since it was on WFH no one cared or paid attention, that is until they learned the last right hand turn to g up the hill was smack in the middle of a hunting area. Some Soldiers doing PT almost got cross with a bow hunter. I don't think the game wardens allow hunting there any longer. I suggested they just did PT where everyone else does and had been for forty years. That didn't go over very well. MI people have no sense of humor.

Mestral
July 13th, 2017, 4:30 PM
i still like the one out by Troy. I usea it quite a bit since I can no longer use the Rod and Gun facilities......well, that's not quite true, I can still use the Rod and Gun facilities but in order to take any of my firearms out there, I have to register them.....and, I just ain't gonna do that.....it's a pity but I'll drive half way to Waco and back first.....costs me money and also costs the Rod and Gun, not to mention the NAF money.....in fact, their Skeet Range out there is just about ready to close up......some guys even think that was the intent....ie, to drive customers away. seems like you always have the conspiracists around.....macDon't know about the conspiracists, but I know a guy who used to work at the Sportsmans range (not the skeet range) and what he told me about their current crop of customers is disheartening. Scraping the bottom of the barrel, intellectually. They would show up at the range with only half of the ammo they wanted to shoot, for instance, and then "run to the store for some more ammo" about an hour before closing time.

I am not a conspiracy theorist either, but I think if the powers that could stop the hunting, skeet shooting and recreational shooting at Sportsman's range that would make them happy as ever. No more tasked Soldiers to support that. I didn't know Soldiers were still tasked for that.
My range never got any.

MI people have no sense of humor.
Shoot, I learned that from LtC Flag on MASH :))

"I've trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod."

fchafey
July 13th, 2017, 7:14 PM
LTC Flagg, yea he was funny as hell. " I am not here, I am but the wind....crash.....What was that Hawkeye? I think the Wind just broke his leg."

mac
July 13th, 2017, 11:56 PM
I know a guy who used to work at the Sportsmans range (not the skeet range) and what he told me about their current crop of customers is disheartening

if you're talkin' 'bout Don, how's he doin'? i haven't seen him in a coon's age....mac

Mestral
July 14th, 2017, 8:56 AM
if you're talkin' 'bout Don, how's he doin'? i haven't seen him in a coon's age....mac
That range has been through about 4 or 5 supervisors since him.
I am guessing at the number, a bit, but I know 3 of them,
and they aren't named Don, so at least that many.

But if we want to talk about Peyton Place (the ranges on Ft Hood) that would be a different thread.
They said they would fire me if I talked about them, but I don't work for them any more :))

Shotgun Jeremy
July 14th, 2017, 10:30 PM
Well then.....lets hear some of the interesting stories :)

Mestral
July 15th, 2017, 3:10 AM
Well, this thread is supposed to be about finding ranges.
There isn't much in this posting that hasn't already be in this thread,
but this post will be at the top of page 9, so to make info easy to find.

The only range I go to, personally, is:

Follow US 84 two miles east from Highway 36, turn left on Barton st.,
go to the T intersection, turn right and it is about a mile on the left.
Cost is typically $15 - $20 a person, no real time limits.

Management is pretty friendly, not anal like standard (or government run) ranges.
Rules against any exotic (like armor piercing) ammo, or erratic behavior, of course,
must have hearing and eye protection (duh).

--------------------
ST and Ludwig may know more about this one:
"Astro Range 300 U.S. 183 Florence, TX 78605, (512) 489-2061
(Florence itself is on 195 but the range is not)

--------------------
No current information, but an older post says:
Stan's Outdoor Shooting Range, and I located it along 183 about 4 miles south of Astro Range, on the opposite side of the highway. Looking at the satelite photoes, and comparing with street view, he is adding on to the place as time goes by. His web site says something about Law Enforcement using it, so he may have a contract that is bringing in enough for him to make improvements as time goes by.

I have heard Stans was sold and but I don't know if it is open under another name.

--------------------
circle_c mentioned, in another thread, Yankee Gun shop in Cove has a range.
I always thought it was only for his customers, but never looked into it.
(For those who sometimes confuse the two, it isn't related to what used to be Brock's gunshop.
That one is now JT's Sport and Shooting Supply.)

--------------------
Jeremy brought up (in post #33)
http://www.kaasechs.com/home.htm
Kaase Concealed Handgun School based in Gatesville
Not a range, but they hold classes in Kempner, China Spring/Valley Mills and Gatesville

--------------------
Texas Star Gun range between Copperas Cove and Topsey

--------------------
Hat tip to GR for:
Indoor range in Temple.
for handguns and intermediate cartridge rifles
they also have several classes from basic to advanced pistol
Range Fees:
Hourly - $15.00 ($7.50 per additional person if sharing lane, up to 4)
Handgun Rental – $15.00 each (plus cost of ammo )

--------------------
mac brought up Webers still found in Temple and Troy.
More info in Post #68
http://webersguns.com/

--------------------
http://mountaincreekrange.com/
Indoor range, approximately a year old,
previously discussed here:
http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php/23524-Indoor-Gun-Range-on-195

gnatsum
July 15th, 2017, 2:57 PM
ST and Ludwig may know more about this one:
"Astro Range 300 U.S. 183 Florence, TX 78605, (512) 489-2061
(Florence itself is on 195 but the range is not)

[

Actually, it's a RIGHT turn onto 138, heading towards Florence out of Killeen....and the sign says 'LAMPASAS'.

Mestral
July 15th, 2017, 3:11 PM
Thanks. I never was good at spelling, and I probably turned left because I had missed it,
turned around, and was coming back towards Killeen :))

CenTexDave
July 17th, 2017, 11:09 AM
The food court at Killeen Mall during a "riot" would be a good place for target practice.

mac
July 17th, 2017, 11:20 AM
The food court at Killeen Mall during a "riot" would be a good place for target practice.

now that right there is a damned good idea.....make a "sporting clays" range out of one of those occurrences......have to limit it to lead shot though 'cuz that steel shot would be bouncin' all over the place......mac

munnie62
August 18th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Looks like a new indoor range is coming to town ....

http://kdhnews.com/business/new-indoor-gun-range-coming-to-killeen/article_d6d35d34-8460-11e7-9a78-8be839a063d8.html

Shotgun Jeremy
August 19th, 2017, 12:20 AM
Hopefully they aren't as expensive as the other one.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Mestral
August 19th, 2017, 6:07 AM
Hopefully they aren't as expensive as the other one.
I am certain they will be. Indoor ranges are simply expensive by nature.
(Overhead and infrastructure is expensive)

CenTexDave
August 19th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Check out the comments to this on the KDH:

roodawgs98 (https://kdhnews.com/users/profile/roodawgs98) Aug 18, 2017 5:24pm
A indoor shooting range will be a nice compliment to the outdoor range which consists of the entire city limits.

I imagine this is CenTexTalk.com's own roodawg. Good comment. :))

Night Owl
August 19th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Nice location. Need to be armed getting there and honing your skills will help you get out.:)

mac
August 19th, 2017, 1:18 PM
I am certain they will be. Indoor ranges are simply expensive by nature.
(Overhead and infrastructure is expensive)

and noise abatement and ventilation.....mac

fchafey
May 21st, 2018, 8:38 AM
Looks like The Gun range is set to open this weekend. Building is about finished and they have a banner hanging of the front. Hard to read on the way to work.

Shotgun Jeremy
May 21st, 2018, 8:48 AM
Yea, good location - hopefully good prices as well.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk