PDA

View Full Version : Cat Shedding?

cityboy
May 20th, 2009, 6:34 PM
Is there such a thing as a cat that does not shed, or sheds very little??? No, not a hairless cat ... cats are kinda cool, but the hair everywhere!!! :(

CenTexDave
May 20th, 2009, 7:04 PM
I know. Mine has been shedding more than he usually does in spring. I guess the weather, being what it has been around here - warm, then cold, hot, then cold, etc. - has his shedding all messed up.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 21st, 2009, 1:47 PM
I always see certain breeds of cats and hybrids of those breeds advertised as "non-shedding". To my knowledge there are no cats that do not shed except for the hairless variety that you referenced. We have one of those that visits our clinic and they are interesting to say the least. Shedding serves several biological functions and involves a small muscle in the skin and therefore is a difficult trait to overcome.

Thanks for the question.

xzochye
May 21st, 2009, 2:37 PM
Dr. Buckley,

I have seen different ads for The Furminator. Does this actually help to reduce shedding?

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 21st, 2009, 2:57 PM
Though pricey, the Furminator appears to be a good product. Many of our clients are very pleased with them. My office manager uses one at home and is a big fan.