PDA

View Full Version : FORT HOOD STADIUM CONCERNS

corgifan
September 2nd, 2013, 4:13 PM
I enjoyed the first game, held at Hood Stadium, until the 3rd quarter! Heights QB is quite exciting. Good arm. Excellent feet. Reminds me of that Cove quarterback of a few years ago. Not in his league, of course, but hints of it.

Sadly, Heights has no defense yet, and they were blown up in the 3rd quarter. It's going to be a long, long season with flashes of good stuff tossed in. Should be entertaining.

The band was excellent! The addition of rock guitars got the crowd going much better than recent shows.

The Crimson Belles were their usual selves. Good routine, pretty as all get out!

As far as Hood Stadium, I love the seats, don't mind that everyone is on one side of the field, but think that that the quality of the field sucks. It was a confused nightmare parking. We were turned away from one area and told to park on the other side. Why?

CenTexDave
September 2nd, 2013, 6:19 PM
You can have Hood Stadium. I've seen junior high fields better than that mess.
Cove QB a few years ago? RG3? Brent Garner?

Agent X
September 2nd, 2013, 8:43 PM
It's time to end the Hood Stadium experiment and stop putting our own teams at a disadvantage. I heard the field is in bad shape because the Horse Platoon practices on the field. I love those guys but not good for a football field. Come on KISD, 76 varsity games were played on Thursday night last week throughout Texas. Thursday night games are not a problem.

CenTexDave
September 2nd, 2013, 9:45 PM
And neither are Saturday night games. Katy has a bundle of high schools. Some of them play on Thurs, some Fri, and some on Saturday. And I don't think it has hurt the Katy Tigers' success over the years.

IronErnin
September 3rd, 2013, 6:03 AM
Hood Stadium has seating on only one side for a reason. For aerial demonstrations, I'm told. The military enjoys showing off its toys in an effort to justify the expense of them.
I agree that KIDS should have all their home games in their own facilities. However, having schedules from 4 separate high schools does what to the field? Is there sufficient recovery time for the soil? The grass? what would maintaining the field be like under such a grueling schedule. It would be bad form, IMO, for the grounds team to be laying down the grid lines on the field just moments before the opening kick.

RooDawg
September 3rd, 2013, 6:22 AM
And what about the Horse Platoon practicing on the field during the week? Is this true? I can only imagine some of the divots that the horses would leave for the Friday night games. Think about one of our kids hitting that hole and twisting or even breaking an ankle. Sure...that sounds right.

ithoughtso
September 3rd, 2013, 7:24 AM
High school games should never be on fort hood. This was some kind of political thing between the cities and hood. Just like those worthless signs at all the schools that state who sponsers them.

bbh
September 3rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
I always liked the signs and loved it when our school-sponsoring unit showed up on campus for various activities. I thought it was great for high school kids to see these fine young men and women showing an interest in them.

Shotgun Jeremy
September 3rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
And what about the Horse Platoon practicing on the field during the week? Is this true? I can only imagine some of the divots that the horses would leave for the Friday night games. Think about one of our kids hitting that hole and twisting or even breaking an ankle. Sure...that sounds right.

I have a hard time believing this. The would have to go pretty far out if their way to practice there. Plus-they have a nice big field right next to pass/id.

RooDawg
September 3rd, 2013, 2:09 PM
Agent X how did you hear about the horses practicing on the field?

CenTexDave
September 3rd, 2013, 3:14 PM
Probably from all those piles of horse manure. :))

Agent X
September 3rd, 2013, 4:05 PM
Agent X how did you hear about the horses practicing on the field?

From a KISD athletics grounds staff employee.

cnjbond
September 3rd, 2013, 11:52 PM
From a KISD athletics grounds staff employee.

I'm with Shotgun on this...I find it very, very, VERY hard to believe that they would use the brand new football field to practice on, when they already have a practice field area and thousands of acres on other parts of post to practice.

cnjbond
September 3rd, 2013, 11:57 PM
Just like those worthless signs at all the schools that state who sponsers them.
You REALLY don't like FT Hood do you? You hate when they tell you "Welcome to the Great Place" entering post, you hate the signs that are put in front of schools reminding you of FT Hood. What did FT Hood do to you?

ithoughtso
September 4th, 2013, 7:16 AM
You REALLY don't like FT Hood do you? You hate when they tell you "Welcome to the Great Place" entering post, you hate the signs that are put in front of schools reminding you of FT Hood. What did FT Hood do to you?

I hate political nonsense. Spent may years on hood in uniform and risked my life for this country many times as well. But I have developed zero tolerance for political feel good nonsense. If hood or any place else is a great place, then it will never have to be painted on a water tower or forced to be said by gate guards under threat of punishment if the don't.

cnjbond
September 4th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I hate political nonsense. Spent may years on hood in uniform and risked my life for this country many times as well. But I have developed zero tolerance for political feel good nonsense. If hood or any place else is a great place, then it will never have to be painted on a water tower or forced to be said by gate guards under threat of punishment if the don't.

Threat of punishment is a bit far fetched. What's wrong with the Post embracing the community motto? So the Great Lakes should change it's name to the Lakes because everyone will know if the Lakes are great without someone telling them that they are or same with Great Falls? That seems a bit petty.

Now what's nonsense is KISD playing on that crappy field when we (tax payers) spent a bigillion dollars to upgrade Leo Buckley.

ethelm
September 4th, 2013, 2:21 PM
And the stadium is so dark! A friend of mine works the clock and he said if the ref is on the opposite end from him, he can barely see him motion for the clock to start. And from what others have told me, under the stadium is dark if you need to go to the restrooms, etc. With all the money that has been spent on upgrading Leo Buckley, it's a shame that it's not used for all the games.

RooDawg
September 5th, 2013, 6:25 AM
Now what's nonsense is KISD playing on that crappy field when we (tax payers) spent a bigillion dollars to upgrade Leo Buckley.

Now that is THE MOST LOGICAL reason that I have heard on why games should be at Leo and not on Hood stadium. I would think that all of the folks who were REALLY upset with the renovations to Leo that occurred many years ago are now REALLY, REALLY upset with the district's decision to not use the stadium every chance they can get.

Ludwig
September 5th, 2013, 8:43 AM
Are there times when games are being played at Ft. Hood and Leo Buckley sits idle? If so, then someone, whoever is in charge of making such decisions within the KISD, is very stupid. If not, then a lot of folks complaining about the use of Ft. Hood facilities deserve the same label.

bbh
September 5th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I've never understood the reluctance of KISD to schedule games on Saturday nights if the weather is hot and Saturday afternoons farther into the Fall when it's cooler. That always seemed preferable to Thursday night games. Maybe there are some reasons I've missed?

I hope that they aren't leaving Buckley dark on Friday nights! That's just crazy.

Wolfdawg
September 5th, 2013, 11:44 AM
There were Friday nights last year that Leo Buckley was dark and a game was going on at Ft. Hood. I haven't looked close enough at the calendar this year to figure it out yet.

gnatsum
September 5th, 2013, 11:58 AM
It's simple. I think I posted this idea here at least once, but here it is:
Four football teams and one stadium--every week, TWO teams play away games, and two teams use Leo Buckley as home--one on Friday night, the other on Saturday (either day or night).
When the teams play each other, then it's at Leo Buckley, with the "home team" rotating between the two opponents over the years.
One could see Heights playing Ellison on Friday, then Killeen "hosting" Shoemaker on Saturday...but I'd rather they played the two games on DIFFERENT weekends, so as to allow some rest to the crew that cleans up and restocks the Stadium each week.
Too simple for the folks at KISD??

Agent X
September 5th, 2013, 1:17 PM
There seems to be the feeling on the part of some of the KISD admin that if we don't play games at Hood that somehow "Fort Hood" will be offended. I think Fort Hood could not care less if KISD plays games there or not. If we need to play games there, let's wear it out for pre-district but play the really important games at the best facility. Also, this scheduling has necessitated KHS having Homecoming this week and EHS having theirs next week. Small potato stuff I realize but it seems mighty early to me.

corgifan
September 5th, 2013, 3:33 PM
Boy howdy... That stadium at Fort Hood has sure stirred up a ruckas!

(Possibly Scarlett could transfer the Fort Hood Stadium comments from the Heights Football/Band/Dancers thread to this one. I'd prefer to keep the original thread focused on the games and halftime shows.)

RooDawg
September 6th, 2013, 6:30 AM
I can't imagine the folks at Fort Hood would be offended for not having to adjust their logistics of entering post by football fans. Having to create one lane that has thousands of fans traveling to one side of the stadium in one lane of traffic created by the cones that they had to set up hours before the start of the game while their own soldiers are monitoring the traffic along the road of those cones to make sure no one decides to deviate from that route. I can't imagine the folks at Fort Hood wouldn't mind leaving to go home on a Friday night instead of having to cope with those responsibilities.

RooDawg
September 6th, 2013, 6:36 AM
you're right...It needs to be moved...

I watched a couple of football games last night on tv...high school football games...Denton guyer was playing colleyville heritage...I'm sure they had a tough time getting to school this morning...those poor kids...oh, and yeah, I watched a little of Westlake playing Deridder, IN LOUISIANA...I'm sure those Westlake kids are not going to do well this year academically since they played on a Thursday night.

I would like to know how many Thursday night games KISD has had in the past PER school. I can only remember a couple of games a year that Killeen would have. I even recall ONE Saturday game in the last 10 years. Out of a 187 school year people have complained that kids playing on Thursday nights conflicted with their abilities in class on MAYBE two occasions.

Killeen has been in a district with Brownwood and San Angelo and had to play on Tuesday nights before for volleyball, basketball, softball, and baseball. No one seemed to complain about how many of those games there were.

Rick
September 6th, 2013, 9:12 AM
Boy howdy... That stadium at Fort Hood has sure stirred up a ruckas!

(Possibly Scarlett could transfer the Fort Hood Stadium comments from the Heights Football/Band/Dancers thread to this one. I'd prefer to keep the original thread focused on the games and halftime shows.)
I set out to do that, selected all the posts about the stadium, then realized that your original post included comments about the stadium and it seems to have taken off from there.

It might be best if I merge these two topics and ask you to start a topic to give the hard working kids who perform the halftime shows their due.

CenTexDave
September 6th, 2013, 9:54 AM
you're right...It needs to be moved...

I watched a couple of football games last night on tv...high school football games...Denton guyer was playing colleyville heritage...I'm sure they had a tough time getting to school this morning...those poor kids...oh, and yeah, I watched a little of Westlake playing Deridder, IN LOUISIANA...I'm sure those Westlake kids are not going to do well this year academically since they played on a Thursday night.

I would like to know how many Thursday night games KISD has had in the past PER school. I can only remember a couple of games a year that Killeen would have. I even recall ONE Saturday game in the last 10 years. Out of a 187 school year people have complained that kids playing on Thursday nights conflicted with their abilities in class on MAYBE two occasions.

Killeen has been in a district with Brownwood and San Angelo and had to play on Tuesday nights before for volleyball, basketball, softball, and baseball. No one seemed to complain about how many of those games there were.

I'm sure a Thursday night game between local schools is no big deal, but I remember those volleyball and soccer games at A&M Conso and Bryan in 5-A, and Stephenville, San Angelo Lakeview, and Abilene Wylie when in 4-A. There was one night my daughter didn't get home until 1:30AM on a Weds morning. And she went to school the next day. Ridiculous.

rk103
September 6th, 2013, 4:04 PM
They may perform their routine on the field and possibly a full dressed rehearsal for some events, but the practice on a field in the stables area. You can usually check it out on thursday mornings.

corgifan
September 8th, 2013, 1:15 AM
The Round Rock game had its highs and lows. I thought the Knights would win this one after still being up in the 4th quarter, but then the air went out of the balloon and the Dragons piled on the points. Well, at least they're scoring like crazy. HH ditched their embarrassing cupie doll mascot for the more sinister looking black knight. That was a relief. I was annoyed with the Round Rock stadium announcer. What a homer! Instead of just announcing the results of the plays like a pro he actively tried to get the crowd into the game and rooted for his home team like crazy. Some good-old-boy that's probably been there for years. I'm afraid that we also lost the battle of the bands. Round Rock was much bigger and had a much better sound. The Belles looked good, but they too were far outnumbered by the talented Round Rock squad. 40 - 37. Bad loss.

cnjbond
September 8th, 2013, 6:24 AM
I was annoyed with the Round Rock stadium announcer. What a homer! Instead of just announcing the results of the plays like a pro he actively tried to get the crowd into the game and rooted for his home team like crazy. Some good-old-boy that's probably been there for years.
LOL, that's what he's supposed to do!

corgifan
September 8th, 2013, 8:28 AM
LOL, that's what he's supposed to do!

No he's not. A proper stadium announcer does it the way the guy from Harker Heights announces. Just stick to the facts. If you want to listen to a homer you should listen to the local radio broadcast. Chalk it up to another cultural difference of opinion!

beaver
September 8th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I agree with cnjbond.

cnjbond
September 8th, 2013, 12:22 PM
No he's not. A proper stadium announcer does it the way the guy from Harker Heights announces. Just stick to the facts. If you want to listen to a homer you should listen to the local radio broadcast. Chalk it up to another cultural difference of opinion!
It's called home field advantage for a reason. You go to any sporting event (except HH) and the announcer will get the crowd pumped up to cheer for the home team. They should make 1st downs sound almost like touchdowns!

It's not a cultural difference, it's a sports IQ difference... ;)
Just yanking your chain Corgi...but I am right. :)

xzochye
September 8th, 2013, 12:28 PM
They do the same thing a professional events. They talk about the home team with excitement and they use a very monotone voice for the visiting team.

Scarlett
September 8th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I guess announcers should type their comments and let a computer Siri voice say it over the loudspeakers. That should please everyone. ;)

Aught to make names that are hard to pronounce sound interesting anyhow.

Wolfdawg
September 8th, 2013, 4:20 PM
Part of the detachment we hear in the announcer voice here in KISD is that the same person announces for all four high schools.

ethelm
September 8th, 2013, 4:41 PM
No, one person does two high schools and a different guy does the other two. Used to be Steve Caruso and a former AP from HHHS, but Steve retired after 25 years from announcing at the end of last year's season.

ithoughtso
September 8th, 2013, 5:31 PM
Cultural difference? What the hell is that? Sounds racist to me.

Scarlett
September 8th, 2013, 5:59 PM

Are you kidding??!? Or are you that person who turns everything into a "that's racist" remark? (I'm asking because several students do that...)

Surely you know the difference between cultural differences and racism?

CenTexDave
September 8th, 2013, 6:06 PM
Now we have racist public address announcers?

cnjbond
September 8th, 2013, 6:25 PM
Are you kidding??!? Or are you that person who turns everything into a "that's racist" remark? (I'm asking because several students do that...)

Surely you know the difference between cultural differences and racism?

No, he/she is the person that accuses other folks of making everything racist...

corgifan
September 8th, 2013, 9:46 PM
Well of course you do! I would expect nothing less! When I say cultural differences I'm referring to a comparison between styles from where I come from and here in Texas. And (thankfully) I can say that by far the "homer" style of announcing the game is by far not the norm. (CUE THE "Then why don't you just go back to where you came from" CALLS!)

Supergirl
September 9th, 2013, 6:01 PM

I do teach the difference between culture and race as part of the Army EO program... :rolleyes