PDA

View Full Version : Aurora pictures

FieryPrincess
September 1st, 2013, 10:29 PM
My husband has been chomping at the bit to go aurora hunting and the weather and the aurora finally cooperated.
This is one of my favorites from his session.

I'm sure this won't be his only excursion and I'll post more pictures from time to time.

xzochye
September 1st, 2013, 10:42 PM
That's breathtaking!

Night Owl
September 1st, 2013, 10:43 PM
Beautiful.

Mestral
September 2nd, 2013, 9:06 AM
My husband has been chomping at the bit to go aurora hunting and the weather and the aurora finally cooperated.

I'm sure this won't be his only excursion and I'll post more pictures from time to time.Amazing. I can see why he wanted to get that shot.

Texas Immigrant
September 2nd, 2013, 9:40 AM
Cool! It looks like a dragon's face.

Dagobert II
September 2nd, 2013, 11:05 AM
I came to this thread thinking everyone was posting about this: 3893 Aurora, Roman goddess of the dawn who's name gives us the symbol for gold (Au). Her son is Lucifer, the morning star.

sojourner truth
September 2nd, 2013, 9:04 PM
Geez Dag...Puhleeeze.

Very Nice FP...It sure is nice to live on a planet that redirects the suns radiation and, at the same time, give us such a wonderful light show.

I was reminde of the time when, after the battle of Antietam in the civil war, that the aurora was actually seen over the battlefield far to the south of where it normally appears.

Despite the weather, Alaska has some qualities that are fabulous, and worth the effort of living there.

CenTexDave
September 2nd, 2013, 9:42 PM
oh, you were there to see it? :))

kantwin
September 2nd, 2013, 9:57 PM
In the early '90's, I actually saw the aurora in SE Alabama. It was very low, and not very bright.
When I was in SE Wisconsin as a youngster, we had some pretty impressive displays, some shooting past 90 degrees overhead.

FieryPrincess
September 2nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
I'll see plenty when we are up to 20 hours of dark.

It's still too light at bedtime for me (10ish). My husband didn't want to wait for winter and went out hunting them. He found a nice place with no city lights to disrupt the photo.

Last year I saw some driving to school.

Mestral
September 3rd, 2013, 8:56 AM
In the early '90's, I actually saw the aurora in SE Alabama. It was very low, and not very bright.
When I was in SE Wisconsin as a youngster, we had some pretty impressive displays, some shooting past 90 degrees overhead.There as a Carrington (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection#First_traces)type event in 1993, but I didn't know you could see it in SE Alabama.

kantwin
September 3rd, 2013, 9:20 AM
It might have been late 80's, instead of early 90s. I left Alabama to go to Germany in late 91.

ClickaNerd
September 3rd, 2013, 10:02 AM

I'm sure this won't be his only excursion and I'll post more pictures from time to time.

Awesome shot !

bbh
September 3rd, 2013, 11:24 PM
Thank you so much, FP!!! That is amazing!

I've always wanted to go to Alaska. It's on my Bucket List.