PDA

View Full Version : Building a High Fidelity Surround System - After a Home is Built

ClickaNerd
August 2nd, 2013, 7:54 PM
I decided I wanted to do some remodeling and design a (7) channel high fidelity surround sound system.

My anal nature called for specification that simply cannot be purchased but one can be built if you have the time and patience.

(4) speakers are built into a vaulted ceiling - as both music and special effects speakers.

(2) speakers built into a wall as a center channel.

(1) 400 watt sub woofer perfectly tuned to the rooms acoustics - hidden under a table.

Absolutely no exposed wires.

I ripped out an existing fireplace and remodeled the fireplace cabinet into a wiring cabinet.

Looks like a space shuttle behind the wall with fiber optic and other cabling.

All of the wires are hidden inside the cabinet.

I used a WDTV live and flush mounted it into the wall with an IR extender that controls all the devices hidden in the cabinet.

Tied it into my network and all of the media sources within my Company.

I can sit in my lazy boy (captain Kirk) chair with a universal remote and run the entire thing.

A non technical person (my wife) can run it as well.

I call it "NERD CENTRAL" ...

The sound is superior to any movie theater. Bullets fly across the room in war movies, glass smashes and scares the living SH-- out of you.

Music sounds absolutely suburb with a full 50hz - 20Khz spectrum perfectly tuned to room acoustics.

YOUR COMMENTS AND OPINIONS ARE WELCOME ...

Downside, I crawled through blown in insulation to run all the wires in the ceiling.

CenTexDave
August 2nd, 2013, 8:37 PM
Nice job. But I think I'll stick with my 2 sets of Bose 901's.

Ludwig
August 2nd, 2013, 9:42 PM
Ehhh? What did he say?

siamcat
August 2nd, 2013, 10:11 PM
Ehhh? What did he say?

I second that:)

cnjbond
August 3rd, 2013, 7:15 AM
SWEET!

kantwin
August 3rd, 2013, 8:01 AM
I used to have a pretty decent setup, but over the years, my tinnitus has become so bad that a transistor radio from back in the day sounds just as good as real life.
{off topic} Where I live, there are lots of woods/trees/wildlife. I often go for runs and bike rides. Listening to nature used to be a wonderful thing, but with the ringing in my ears, I have to put background noise. So, I run / bike with headphones, the volume is quite low, I can carry on a conversation with someone even with the music on. It's just enough to make me not aware of the tinnitus. 16 years of Army Aviation...

ClickaNerd
August 3rd, 2013, 8:45 AM
I used to have a pretty decent setup, but over the years, my tinnitus has become so bad that a transistor radio from back in the day sounds just as good as real life.
{off topic} Where I live, there are lots of woods/trees/wildlife. I often go for runs and bike rides. Listening to nature used to be a wonderful thing, but with the ringing in my ears, I have to put background noise. So, I run / bike with headphones, the volume is quite low, I can carry on a conversation with someone even with the music on. It's just enough to make me not aware of the tinnitus. 16 years of Army Aviation...

Can I assume you were listening to the 400hz hum from aircraft components for 16 years?

In Germany, I was assigned to the 1st MI aviation battalion and flew in RC-12 for (3) years fixing a system called guardrail.

At the end of the day, my head was always buzzing from the equipment noises.

kantwin
August 3rd, 2013, 9:01 AM
A lot was 400hz, in the GCA (ground controlled approach) radar system.
Most was just being around the aircraft, and generators used to power much of the ATC equipment.

ClickaNerd
August 3rd, 2013, 9:12 AM
This may appeal to the technicians.

In order to extend the IR from a flush mount device in the wall to the surround sound processor in the cabinet, they make a $50.00 HDMI extender.

You plug the HDMI cable into the streaming device then into the surround sound processor.

When you use the IR on your remote control, a small sensor in the HDMI cable snags the IR and routes it to the equipment in your cabinet.

My next little NERD enhancement is the blue tooth colored light by apple.

You screw a special light bulb in the socket and you can control it with an Iphone app and change the color and intensity.

And for all the half blind people on here, this little gadget will light up your water coming out of the faucet using a color based upon temperature of the water.

http://dx.com/p/water-activated-rgb-led-light-effect-aluminum-alloy-attachment-for-water-tap-115842

circle_c
August 3rd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Nice in my work in my opinion.. I don't do boys toys anymore at my age, a smart TV with a theater system works for me. I still hear high speed morse code and the mill typewriter clicking away and CQ CQ CQ from the ham bands with my tinnitus. :)) But ANYWAY Nerd nice job You can always invite your neighbor over for a party and beverages of choice.

ClickaNerd
August 3rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Nice in my work in my opinion.. I don't do boys toys anymore at my age, a smart TV with a theater system works for me. I still hear high speed morse code and the mill typewriter clicking away and CQ CQ CQ from the ham bands with my tinnitus. :)) But ANYWAY Nerd nice job You can always invite your neighbor over for a party and beverages of choice.

I would LOVE to break the ice and invite 1908 over. His wife is so hateful and spiteful and leads him around by his nose, it would never work out.

The rest of the neighbors are coming over for "movie night" though.

Just wish I could get the German heffe weissen in a keg or a bit cheaper than $3.09 a bottle.

circle_c
August 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
I thought I saw HEB with the small pony kegs for the frig. for around $20. Have a couple friends who order kits and make their own. Have a nice weekend Nerd.

CenTexDave
August 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
Can I assume you were listening to the 400hz hum from aircraft components for 16 years?

In Germany, I was assigned to the 1st MI aviation battalion and flew in RC-12 for (3) years fixing a system called guardrail.

At the end of the day, my head was always buzzing from the equipment noises.

Nice. Used to work on RC-12's, and RU-21's, for Beech and Raytheon Aerospace.

Rick
August 3rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
I thought I saw HEB with the small pony kegs for the frig. for around $20. Have a couple friends who order kits and make their own. Have a nice weekend Nerd.

Or nerd could buy the complete kit, carboys, bottle cleaners, brushes, hundreds of bottles from me for $100.00 and he'd have that hobby everyone is clamoring for him to have. :)

ClickaNerd
August 3rd, 2013, 4:02 PM
Or nerd could buy the complete kit, carboys, bottle cleaners, brushes, hundreds of bottles from me for $100.00 and he'd have that hobby everyone is clamoring for him to have. :)

Somehow, knowing my personality - I would have the ATF digging into my operation in less than 30 days, should I get in the beer making business.

It would be some pretty good beer mind you ...

circle_c
August 3rd, 2013, 4:11 PM
Neighbors may think your shooting at 'em when a batch starts exploding after it's bottled and sitting on the self. :)) Sure can wake you up in the wee hours of the morning. :doh

Ludwig
August 3rd, 2013, 7:04 PM
I had to go to my garage window once a long time ago and shoot all my wine bottles off the shelf because they were going off unannounced. What a mess. I guess the same can happen to beer.

lovetoread
August 4th, 2013, 1:28 AM
Just to clarify..all this mumbo jumbo means "I have a nice stero system". Or would it be hey want to hear my 8 track system little lady.

ClickaNerd
August 4th, 2013, 1:01 PM
Just to clarify..all this mumbo jumbo means "I have a nice stero system". Or would it be hey want to hear my 8 track system little lady.

In a nutshell, I designed a sound system that sounds like a movie theater in my house.

Unlike all the crappy equipment with marginal sound and terrible wiring and craftmenship, mine is the Roles Royce version.