PDA

View Full Version : Quilters?

FieryPrincess
July 23rd, 2013, 6:20 PM
Are there any other quilters out there? I took a class last August and found I really really enjoy it.

I've made ten quilts so far. I donate to school silent auctions and give away baby quilts.

I did upgrade my sewing machine when I went to a local museum (specializing in late 1800s-1940 stuff) and saw my sewing machine as one of the displays. That was a little eye opening.

The free motion quilting is much easier on the new machine.

siamcat
July 23rd, 2013, 7:30 PM
I hand stitched a quilted pillow in HS Art class..:lol. Filled it with those little Styrofoam beads that kept popping out of the holes between the squares. I'm hopeless at sewing, but I can crochet.:)

FieryPrincess
July 23rd, 2013, 8:02 PM

I think this is the most striking one I've done so far. I named it the Ladybug's Picnic. I think this is just the top and not the finished product. I made this in February and donated it to my school for a silent auction. I am finishing up a T-shirt quilt made out of my husband's race shirts and army shirts.

I have stuck to the simple stuff so far, but after I finish the t-#### quilt, I plan to try something more intricate. Intricate-looking is more accurate. As I learn more about what I am doing, I realize it is just math and spatial reasoning. I finally found the shop up here with the cool looking aurora fabric and there is a place online where I can buy fabrics with Texas wildflowers on them.

IronErnin
July 23rd, 2013, 8:34 PM
That looks really nice. You're in the right kind of place for such a hobby. A former home health aide of mine is an avid quilter, but she stays really busy with work and doesn't get to do as much quilting as she'd like. She made a nice quilt for me, once. It goes on my bed every month and a half for about a week. Enjoy your hobby. It can get you all kinds of friends.

Ludwig
July 23rd, 2013, 10:29 PM
There is a quilting group at the Gilmore Senior Center in Killeen. Their work is phenomenal.

xzochye
July 23rd, 2013, 10:32 PM
I hand stitched a quilted pillow in HS Art class..:lol. Filled it with those little Styrofoam beads that kept popping out of the holes between the squares. I'm hopeless at sewing, but I can crochet.:)

I want to learn how to crochet! I like to have things to do while I watch tv in the evening. I have tried teaching myself but that is like the blind leading the blind!

SamBrown
July 24th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Oh, we have to start a crochet/knitting/quilting group. I do all three... am working on quilts for my grandkids right now and also have several afghans started. I donate them to Project Linus.

FieryPrincess
July 24th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I've made ten in the last year. I had friends and families with three babies due one right after the other and then a friend had some major family issues and all I could think to do from 4000 miles away was to send a woobie to her young son.

So far the T-shirt quilt is the only one I plan on keeping. I find the fusion of art and math in the sewing to be therapeutic. The concentration quells my ADD and improves my focus. The feeling of helping others by giving away is also wonderful.