PDA

View Full Version : RICK what is the purpose of a forum?

onetime
July 14th, 2013, 1:18 PM
Hey Rick what is the purpose of having a public forum? I am just curious as to what your view is of what this forum should be? Why do we have so many people on here threatened or upset when people have differing opinions? Everything someone mentions does not have to be positive and vice versa.

ClickaNerd
July 14th, 2013, 1:35 PM
Hey "onetime" - my gut feeling is - rick is genuinely trying to be sensitive to the grieving families!

If he is trying to set the tone of a thread and it naturally takes a spin 20 different directions like gun control, speculation into the criminals intent etc., that is where website owners can stick their dick in a ringer.

I agree with you, rick can comment like everyone else. But attempt to steer or influence political correctness and troubles will always arise.

bbh
July 14th, 2013, 1:45 PM
It's just too early yet to go political in any way on this story......it really hits close to home for some of us on this forum. There is time for that later.

The CTT family should remain respectful for the moment.

Also, please watch language. The level of any discussion, especially at a time like this, is lowered exponentially when gutter phrases are used. They are also not needed to make a valid point.

ClickaNerd
July 14th, 2013, 1:53 PM
It's just too early yet to go political in any way on this story......it really hits close to home for some of us on this forum. There is time for that later.

The CTT family should remain respectful for the moment.

Also, please watch language. The level of any discussion, especially at a time like this, is lowered exponentially when gutter phrases are used. They are also not needed to make a valid point.

I do really need to work on my language, I try to only comment when "Grammer Rules" is online, so she can correct me on the fly!

Rick
July 14th, 2013, 1:55 PM
Hey Rick what is the purpose of having a public forum? I am just curious as to what your view is of what this forum should be? Why do we have so many people on here threatened or upset when people have differing opinions? Everything someone mentions does not have to be positive and vice versa.
Did I do something that angered you?

Mr. Lucky
July 14th, 2013, 2:17 PM

I personally enjoy the feedback on a lot of different topics. I am always curious how people think and why. I may not agree however I do respect their beliefs. We are all different and it shows. I read stuff here I would never hear otherwise. I do not feel threatened by others completely different view than mine. Sometimes in life I wish people would actually tell me what they really think instead of just going along with it. I really respect the people who use their own name and have the guts to express themselves to the whole community. The people who run for office because of their strong convictions and are willing to express it. People who take a stand. I like a lot of people on here and I don't know them. I admire the openness. Yes, I enjoy this forum and I Thank Rick and the others that help.

Ludwig
July 14th, 2013, 2:20 PM
... The level of any discussion, especially at a time like this, is lowered exponentially when gutter phrases are used. They are also not needed to make a valid point.

You are correct. However, I have found that using the language of the people that you are attempting to address facilitates their understanding. Also, using the right word makes a point which otherwise might require a paragraph of explanation.

ClickaNerd
July 14th, 2013, 2:24 PM
You could tell me that the precipitation was 100% in my area and I wouldn't follow you.

If you told me it was coming down like a cow pissing on a flat rock, I would totally know what you are talking about.

Dagobert II
July 14th, 2013, 2:37 PM
Is there a particular issue that started this thread? If so, I'm lost.

Rick
July 14th, 2013, 2:39 PM
That's what I'm wondering.

Anyway, I'm moving to Admin Announcements.

bbh
July 14th, 2013, 2:40 PM
I agree with you, Mr. Lucky. I want different opinions as well, and this forum is a great opportunity in which to learn!

Differing opinions, though, also involve those that come as a result of what and how we post, and we need to be ready to accept that or leave. For instance, if I feel strongly about an issue and post lots of "negative" posts, I need to accept that someone else will come on and call me "negative"; they may say that they don't approve of my negativity. That's fine. It's their opinion, and why shouldn't they give their opinion? If I can't accept that, I can do one of two things.....I can stop making negative posts, or I can leave.

There was a recent exchange in which one poster said that another poster's negativity bothered her. She had every right to express her opinion about that poster's negativity, just as he had the right to be negative in the first place.

Rick, Scarlett, et al, are not and should not be expected to be our babysitters. They should and will make the call on what's inappropriate, but they cannot assure anyone that their feelings will not be hurt from time to time.

bbh
July 14th, 2013, 2:53 PM
You could tell me that the precipitation was 100% in my area and I wouldn't follow you.

If you told me it was coming down like a cow pissing on a flat rock, I would totally know what you are talking about.

Follow me where???? Into the rain???? :)

As long as we are in a thread about having/expressing differing opinions......I'll just say that I disagree that you needed to use the phrase you used in post #2 to make your point. I'll go further and say that, for me, it actually weakened your point.

I don't even believe that YOU believe it strengthens your point. If you believe it does, I suggest you use it early and often next time you are in Judge Adams's court. :-)

By the way, we are having a good rain shower at my house! (Do I need to translate that for you? LOL)

ClickaNerd
July 14th, 2013, 3:00 PM
Follow me where???? Into the rain???? :)
If you believe it does, I suggest you use it early and often next time you are in Judge Adams's court. :-)
By the way, we are having a good rain shower at my house! (Do I need to translate that for you? LOL)

Touche ...

Rick
July 14th, 2013, 3:10 PM
Nonetheless, I'm not getting anywhere near a ringer. :))

ClickaNerd
July 14th, 2013, 3:33 PM
If everyone would simply agree to buy my product below, your website can uniformly control commentary, and deliver an effective message in a nice way ...

This is my feeble attempt a humor ...

Grammar Rules
July 14th, 2013, 4:30 PM
Oh my, I do need some o' dat...

Grammar Rules
July 14th, 2013, 4:34 PM
Clickanerd, did you mean 'ringer' or 'wringer'? You young people use expressions that are often lost on me, but I would understand it if you meant 'wringer,' the dual rolling dowels with which old-fashioned wringer washers squeezed water and suds from laundry.

Painful if any body part were caught in the apparatus, for sure.

onetime
July 14th, 2013, 4:56 PM
Hey "onetime" - my gut feeling is - rick is genuinely trying to be sensitive to the grieving families!

If he is trying to set the tone of a thread and it naturally takes a spin 20 different directions like gun control, speculation into the criminals intent etc., that is where website owners can stick their dick in a ringer.

I agree with you, rick can comment like everyone else. But attempt to steer or influence political correctness and troubles will always arise.

I am not talking about the police officer, I meant in general, I am not insensitive to a person's death.

ClickaNerd
July 14th, 2013, 4:58 PM
Clickanerd, did you mean 'ringer' or 'wringer'? You young people use expressions that are often lost on me, but I would understand it if you meant 'wringer,' the dual rolling dowels with which old-fashioned wringer washers squeezed water and suds from laundry.

Painful if any body part were caught in the apparatus, for sure.

LOL ...

1) It was Ringer
2) Rick said it NOT me

Most importantly please translate "Oh my, I do need some o' dat..."

I am versed in Ebonics, but may need to update to 2013 syntax ...

:))

onetime
July 14th, 2013, 4:58 PM
I personally enjoy the feedback on a lot of different topics. I am always curious how people think and why. I may not agree however I do respect their beliefs. We are all different and it shows. I read stuff here I would never hear otherwise. I do not feel threatened by others completely different view than mine. Sometimes in life I wish people would actually tell me what they really think instead of just going along with it. I really respect the people who use their own name and have the guts to express themselves to the whole community. The people who run for office because of their strong convictions and are willing to express it. People who take a stand. I like a lot of people on here and I don't know them. I admire the openness. Yes, I enjoy this forum and I Thank Rick and the others that help.

I agree with you, but I think if people actually used their own name it would water down their personal opinions on issues.

ClickaNerd
July 14th, 2013, 5:02 PM
I agree with you, but I think if people actually used their own name it would water down their personal opinions on issues.

OMG - don't get me started on this subject ...

The cyber sleuths that tend to grow watermelon size cajones when they type under alias, would be completely different if their real names were linked to their alias!

Grammar Rules
July 14th, 2013, 6:38 PM
If he is trying to set the tone of a thread and it naturally takes a spin 20 different directions like gun control, speculation into the criminals intent etc., that is where website owners can stick their dick in a ringer....

Nonetheless, I'm not getting anywhere near a ringer. :))

If everyone would simply agree to buy my product below, your website can uniformly control commentary, and deliver an effective message in a nice way ...

LOL ...

1) It was Ringer
2) Rick said it NOT me

Most importantly please translate "Oh my, I do need some o' dat..."

I am versed in Ebonics, but may need to update to 2013 syntax ...

:))

Clickanerd, you said "ringer" first! :)) And I was speaking Louisiana Cajun, not Ebonics, when I said I need the Idiot Repellant Spray. It's a little pricey...do you have the sample size? ;)

Mestral
July 14th, 2013, 7:09 PM

Did I do something that angered you?And we still don't know what got this all started.

Grammar Rules
July 14th, 2013, 7:20 PM
And we still don't know what got this all started.

I think it might be due to the fact that Onetime is extremely opinionated. That is not unusual for our little Centex neighborhood, but he manages to be opinionated and expressive of some opinions that are contrary to the comfort level of some people who are pretty sure they know how Killeen ISD and surroundings actually work. He bucks the system. He is critical of the establishment. People get pissed off and diss him online. So he is asking why his opinion isn't respected.

onetime
July 14th, 2013, 7:58 PM
I think it might be due to the fact that Onetime is extremely opinionated. That is not unusual for our little Centex neighborhood, but he manages to be opinionated and expressive of some opinions that are contrary to the comfort level of some people who are pretty sure they know how Killeen ISD and surroundings actually work. He bucks the system. He is critical of the establishment. People get pissed off and diss him online. So he is asking why his opinion isn't respected. Awe I would not say I am trying garner the respect of anyone on the forum, but jeez why does everyone need to think exactly the same? If someone thinks outside of the box or has had the opportunity to peek the blinds down on the establishment everyone goes all Ape bleep. I just do not think everyone understands the purpose of the forum. Someone was griping on here about how much AP teachers work I disagreed, but I gained some new perspective about the details of the job.

bbh
July 14th, 2013, 8:32 PM
And what, exactly, do you see as "the establishment"?

Grammar Rules
July 14th, 2013, 8:34 PM
Obviously everyone isn't in lockstep with majority thought around here. I'm the notorious recipient of more WTF gigs from Rick than any other member. So don't worry about it.

Night Owl
July 14th, 2013, 10:59 PM

I would buy a case so I could use it often.:))

Mestral
July 15th, 2013, 7:53 AM
Obviously everyone isn't in lockstep with majority thought around here. I'm the notorious recipient of more WTF gigs from Rick than any other member. So don't worry about it.Well, you got to be number one at something.

Grammar Rules
July 15th, 2013, 9:07 AM
Well, you got to be number one at something.

That's the interesting thing about anonymity. You might be surprised at the fact that I am, while not perfect, frequently well thought of, considered accomplished, and respected.

bbh
July 15th, 2013, 9:55 AM
Sometimes online forums are drastically removed from real world relationships.

One day last year, around election time, I walked into the copy room and heard several of my co-workers talking about Obama and politics. These were my friends -- people whom I had worked with for several years, friends whom I loved and respected. I found out at that moment, for the first time, what their political beliefs were. They were definitely NOT my political beliefs. After a few seconds of shock and dismay.....I still loved and respected them. I REALLY wish they had not voted the way they did, and I adamantly disagree with them on some issues, but they are still my friends.

Ludwig
July 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM
... I am, while not perfect, frequently well thought of, considered accomplished, and respected.

I would, perhaps be surprised if I knew the people who thought you to be so. My family too thinks of me as accomplished and respected.

Grammar Rules
July 15th, 2013, 10:58 AM
There are people even outside my family, Ludwig. See, as long as you have lived, there are still facts to surprise and amaze even you. Life is grand. :p

Mestral
July 15th, 2013, 12:17 PM
That's the interesting thing about anonymity. You might be surprised at the fact that I am, while not perfect, frequently well thought of, considered accomplished, and respected.And off line, I would think of you pretty much the same way I treat you here, if you spouted the same views off line as here.

Sometimes online forums are drastically removed from real world relationships.

One day last year, around election time, I walked into the copy room and heard several of my co-workers talking about Obama and politics. These were my friends -- people whom I had worked with for several years, friends whom I loved and respected. I found out at that moment, for the first time, what their political beliefs were. . . .Sadly, last night I found out how two faced some of my co-workers are. Night before last, they knew the issues surrounding the Zimmerman trial, but last night when that dumba-- white guy (that would be me) wasn't within earshot (or so they think), they were all talking about that "child killer."

, but they are still my friends.These guys are no longer anything of the sort.

cnjbond
July 15th, 2013, 1:11 PM
These guys are no longer anything of the sort.
I hate to break it to you, but I don't think they were your friends to begin with if they talked about you like that behind your back...you're late to the unfriending party!

I think you can still be friends with folks that have "respectfully" different views from yours. I believe you have to draw the line when someone tries to get you to compromise your morals and values to accept their views and I don't too much care for people that want to force me to accept their views. It's amazing watching the friendships that have grown since grade school get torn up on Facebook over political and religious posts.

Grammar Rules
July 15th, 2013, 1:33 PM
Cnjbond makes very good points about people polarizing to the point where they sever ties with friends and family. That's just tragic, and if we can't disagree but continue to respect each other, it's just intolerant.

However, I thought Mestral's coworkers weren't talking about him; he thought they were merely thinking about him as a dummy and verbally expressed a negative opinion about Zimmerman.

Mestral
July 15th, 2013, 4:57 PM
Ummm, yeah, "friends" is a bit inaccurate.
They were co-workers with whom I had a friendly work atmosphere.
The atmosphere won't be so friendly any more.

ClickaNerd
July 15th, 2013, 5:16 PM
Ummm, yeah, "friends" is a bit inaccurate.
They were co-workers with whom I had a friendly work atmosphere.
The atmosphere won't be so friendly any more.

Whats amazing is all of the "alter ego's" out there!

The people you think are your friends are NOT ...

I would much rather have some one call me a POS to my face, then to support my positions to my face and oppose them in cyberspace.

The dual identities are either sociopaths in real life or they were hung up by their underwear in a school locker, and going online under color of alias, empowers them with wonder women skills ...

Mestral
July 15th, 2013, 5:43 PM
Whats amazing is all of the "alter ego's" out there!
The people you think are your friends are NOT ...
I would much rather have some one call me a POS to my face, then to support my positions to my face and oppose them in cyberspace.
The dual identities are either sociopaths in real life or they were hung up by their underwear in a school locker, and going online under color of alias, empowers them with wonder women skills ...Well, I will assure you about me. The rough around the edges, analytical, simi-cold-hearted, opinionated, coarse guy you see here, is the same in person, though you may not see it as quickly in person.

ClickaNerd
July 15th, 2013, 6:10 PM
Well, I will assure you about me. The rough around the edges, analytical, simi-cold-hearted, opinionated, coarse guy you see here, is the same in person, though you may not see it as quickly in person.

That's excellent ...

Frankly, its way to complicated to live multiple personalities.

Can you imagine one's alter ego appearing at the wrong time publically?

Excuse me Mr. President, "Are you really going to let condoleezza Rice call the shots on that"?

Obama slips up and says "Damn, Id like to hit that"!

Mestral
August 22nd, 2013, 7:56 AM
Having been recently called obsessive by someone here, I have been thinking about another thing forums are good for. Steadily discussing a problem until it is resolved. I went through my list of "subscribed" threads, and at least a dozen of them have been ongoing for six months or more, and have over 200 messages in them. This is what I relish about a forum. Unlike the ADD and "Culture of Bass" mentality of the public at large, here on the forum a topic can be kept in view for as long as necessary to get answers, accountability, or just to keep updated on a situation.