PDA

View Full Version : Long-running script?

siamcat
July 4th, 2013, 4:29 PM
The last few days my pages take a long time to be able to scroll down. After a bit I get a message that CTT is not responding due to long-running script. I can wait a minute and I can scroll down to read the posts or stop the script and scroll down.
It's just really annoying and was wondering if anybody knows why this is happening or how I can fix it. I'm using Internet Explorer 10 but had it before this problem came up and it was fine once I discovered the compatibility thing.

Rick
July 4th, 2013, 4:33 PM
No, I have never had a problem with that.

Mestral
July 4th, 2013, 5:36 PM
The last few days my pages take a long time to be able to scroll down. After a bit I get a message that CTT is not responding due to long-running script. I can wait a minute and I can scroll down to read the posts or stop the script and scroll down.
It's just really annoying and was wondering if anybody knows why this is happening or how I can fix it. I'm using Internet Explorer 10 but had it before this problem came up and it was fine once I discovered the compatibility thing.It is something to do with a script that displays the BBS info on your system. When it happens to me, it usually means either I have run myself out of memory or I have a couple of background processes (like my antivirus updating itself) running at the same time. Since you just started getting this, I suspect some program like Explorer, Flash, or something has just updated itself. Each new update of those programs eats more resources. I finally had to dump Foxit PDF reader, for instance, cause my system just can't handle it.

siamcat
July 4th, 2013, 5:57 PM
It is something to do with a script that displays the BBS info on your system. When it happens to me, it usually means either I have run myself out of memory or I have a couple of background processes (like my antivirus updating itself) running at the same time. Since you just started getting this, I suspect some program like Explorer, Flash, or something has just updated itself. Each new update of those programs eats more resources. I finally had to dump Foxit PDF reader, for instance, cause my system just can't handle it.

Are you talking hard drive memory or RAM memory?

Mestral
July 4th, 2013, 6:09 PM
Are you talking hard drive memory or RAM memory?Primarily, I am talking about RAM, although it could be what is known as the "swap file" or "virtual memory." I have seen it listed under "system commit" also. Each of these things are a bit different, but the same set of setting adjusts them all.

ClickaNerd
July 4th, 2013, 6:56 PM
It's just really annoying and was wondering if anybody knows why this is happening or how I can fix it. I'm using Internet Explorer 10 but had it before this problem came up and it was fine once I discovered the compatibility thing.

If you are running a windows machine, uninstall java from add/remove programs
Then install ccleaner: www.clickanerd.com/nerd << nerd tools

Run Ccleaner and reboot PC.

Reinstall java and it will fix the problem.

siamcat
July 4th, 2013, 7:52 PM
Rick, you can move this to the tech section if you want.

Rick
July 5th, 2013, 5:12 AM
I looked it up online and it appears to be a Microsoft issue. Big shock huh?

Some people fixed it by running a 32 bit version of Internet Explorer, others just switched browsers from IE to Firefox. That explains why I never see it since I use Firefox.

Mestral
July 5th, 2013, 6:42 AM
Might fix it for a while, but if it is the issue of short on memory, it will be back. I run firefox and it gives me "script is not responding" error, which is the same error, with different words, although since I got the new machine it only gives me that when I got several processes running at the same time (like eight different windows open). I only got 1 Gig of memory. I would get stoppages from time to time also, until I went in about a month ago and changed the "paging file" size (another name for virtual memory) from 1024MB to 2048MB. That should buy me another year before I have to upgrade.

sojourner truth
July 5th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I have the same problem a SC...My computer browses fine until I get on CTT, and then after a few seconds, it just freezes up and can't handle it.

I restart it, and things get back to normal...until the next day. Sometimes it takes a few minutes after restart to get back to normal.

kantwin
July 5th, 2013, 11:07 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260
This may help...

Mestral
July 5th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I have the same problem a SC...My computer browses fine until I get on CTT, and then after a few seconds, it just freezes up and can't handle it.

I restart it, and things get back to normal...until the next day. Sometimes it takes a few minutes after restart to get back to normal.Are you using IE or Chrome?

sojourner truth
July 5th, 2013, 2:02 PM
IE....I have Chrome downloaded, but stopped using it.

Mestral
July 5th, 2013, 2:13 PM
IE....I have Chrome downloaded, but stopped using it.Not sure, but a temporary fix might be to exit IE wait about four seconds and the restart IE before going to CTT. If the problem is what is known as a memory leak (the program keeps a copy of previous web sites in memory when it should have discarded them) then that might fix the problem until Micro$oft can get around to fixing their junk.

kantwin
July 5th, 2013, 5:25 PM
that might fix the problem until Micro$oft can get around to fixing their junk.
Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-{breath}-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Oh, man, that's funny...

Mestral
July 5th, 2013, 5:33 PM
Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-{breath}-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Oh, man, that's funny...huh?

kantwin
July 5th, 2013, 5:47 PM
Microsoft fix their junk.
Since Microsoft put out their first version of {insert whatever program} someone has always said that.

Mestral
July 5th, 2013, 6:38 PM
I would call it "perpetual Beta Syndrome"

After about 2 years of updates and bug fixes, they refocus and instead of fixing what is broken, they focus their efforts on the next generation of buggy software.

siamcat
July 5th, 2013, 6:44 PM
It's definitely a windows problem, so I solved it by using Safari instead. Found it hiding on my computer. Now i just have to figure out how to make everything bigger, because the text is tiny.

kantwin
July 5th, 2013, 6:45 PM
Hold the CTRL key and scroll the mouse wheel.

siamcat
July 5th, 2013, 6:53 PM
Hold the CTRL key and scroll the mouse wheel.

Thanks, I found it under advanced settings and I can tell it to never use a font size smaller then however big I want the font. 16 seems a good size for me. Might try 18. I hate small print..lol. Half blind and I need bi-focals now on top of that.

Mestral
July 5th, 2013, 6:58 PM
Thanks, I found it under advanced settings and I can tell it to never use a font size smaller then however big I want the font. 16 seems a good size for me. Might try 18. I hate small print..lol. Half blind and I need bi-focals now on top of that.My eyes are not much better. If our eyes get much worse, I'll hire my ex (totally blind) to coach us on using software that "reads" the screen out loud. :)