PDA

View Full Version : Another BIG Setback for Gun Control

Dagobert II
June 21st, 2013, 6:21 PM
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/06/21/archaeologists-recover-two-more-cannons-from-blackbeards-ship/

IronErnin
June 21st, 2013, 8:13 PM
So, just how is this bad for the gun control movement?

Dagobert II
June 21st, 2013, 9:25 PM
So, just how is this bad for the gun control movement? Two more guns just hit the market - and they're big ones too. I'm still waiting for someone to find that nuke off the cost of Georgia though.

IronErnin
June 22nd, 2013, 5:23 AM
Those guns are less than 12 pounders. They are NOT big guns. In the 18th century 32 pounds was a BIG gun. The guns in the pics fire a ball about the size of a small man's fist.

just2cents
June 22nd, 2013, 7:35 AM
Those guns are less than 12 pounders. They are NOT big guns. In the 18th century 32 pounds was a BIG gun. The guns in the pics fire a ball about the size of a small man's fist.
" Department of Cultural Resources to recover artifacts from Blackbeard’s ship. Two cannons, each weighing about one ton, "

Night Owl
June 22nd, 2013, 7:49 AM
Do you ever THINK before you post?

Grammar Rules
June 22nd, 2013, 8:15 AM
And ruin the fun?

IronErnin
June 22nd, 2013, 9:00 AM
Do you ever THINK before you post?

I would expect an artillery man to know better. Yes, the weight of those guns is over a ton. But, they are also made of either cast iron or brass. It's kind of hard to tell from the picture. Plus, that is most likely the current weight with all the gunk crusted on them. Get them cleaned up and then see how much they weigh. They'll still be physically large, but they'll still be relatively small in projectile size.

Night Owl
June 22nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
I would expect an artillery man to know better. Yes, the weight of those guns is over a ton. But, they are also made of either cast iron or brass. It's kind of hard to tell from the picture. Plus, that is most likely the current weight with all the gunk crusted on them. Get them cleaned up and then see how much they weigh. They'll still be physically large, but they'll still be relatively small in projectile size.
You still don't get the point and never will.

Ludwig
June 22nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
He's saying that the size of the gun is not determined by the size of the balls. Here they have a big gun with little balls and mortars are little guns with big balls. Dave is a mortar and I'm a Blackbeard cannon. :)

IronErnin
June 22nd, 2013, 3:13 PM
I ain't entirely sure, but I think Ludwig got it.
In the days of muzzle loaders, cannon were designated by the weight of the round they fired. As I said, I would expect an artilleryman to know things like that. Especially a field grade officer.

sojourner truth
June 22nd, 2013, 3:23 PM
Maybe you missed his point...he does know about things like that.

I wouldn't want one on a bet..Tube reliability was shot after about 10 years underwater, plus having a non explosive round, no matter how heavy, just isn't very effective. The tube is dangerous, if nothing else. Not very accurate either. Having a tube explode on you is no fun...I know.

Give me a 155mm SP howitzer or an 8" any day. One of the old ones that isn't GPS guided and computer operated. You can keep the old 155 pig and 8" towed. Even a towed M102/105mm is a great field piece.

Field Artillery...adding a touch of class to what would otherwise be a bloody brawl.

IronErnin
June 22nd, 2013, 5:04 PM
You are aware that the original artillerymen were mercenaries, aren't you?

sojourner truth
June 22nd, 2013, 5:21 PM
Yep...We were pretty expensive too.

Night Owl
June 22nd, 2013, 7:08 PM
I wonder if he is wanting to hire a few for self defense. Then he would have to hire more to protect himself from the first ones he hired. :))

Ludwig
June 22nd, 2013, 8:05 PM
You are aware that the original artillerymen were mercenaries, aren't you?

You are aware that the original artillerymen were mercenary engineers, aren't you?

IronErnin
June 22nd, 2013, 8:18 PM
Yep...We were pretty expensive too.

That y'all were! I've looked over an historical accounting of the finances of a medieval battle. It gave a breakdown of all the money that was spent and the cost for the siege engineers was enormous. This was from pre-cannon days. And this was just one battle.