PDA

View Full Version : The Better Vacuum: Upright or Canister?

JoAnn Purser
May 1st, 2013, 9:28 AM
Okay, I am about to begin the process of shopping for a new vacuum. 30 years ago I had a Filter Queen canister and it was okay from what I recall but was since replaced with an upright multiple times.

I am know torn as to upright or canister?

I also am not pleased with the bag less vacuums as I think that shaking out all those dust particles into a trash bag seems unhealthy and messy.
So if I purchase an upright it will probably be a model that uses bags.

Any advice?

Rick
May 1st, 2013, 9:39 AM
www.oreck.com

I see they have bagless vacuums now, we got one of XL's several years ago and have not had any problems with it. We take it for service once a year which was included in the cost.

IronErnin
May 1st, 2013, 9:52 AM
Here, we use a Dyson. It does a good job, on bare floors as well as carpeted.

sojourner truth
May 1st, 2013, 10:12 AM
I have both. I use an old Hoover Elite II from about 25 years ago. I love it so much that I have found web site spots that sell replacement parts for it. Bocoup suction, bags easy to buy and change, and superb edge pickup.

We have a top of the line bagless model that I hate, and will only use if the Elite breaks down. Far as I'm concerned, none of the new styles works well.

Of course, you can wait for the weekly visit from the Kirby guy to sell you a Thousnad dollar job. I hear they are actually pretty good.

CenTexDave
May 1st, 2013, 10:56 AM
I have a bagless vacuum - is a Bissell. Has 5 different filters. Yeah, pain to shake the canister out, but I do it over the city's garbage can. :))

siamcat
May 1st, 2013, 3:44 PM
I prefer uprights, but then I only have three rugs to vacuum. For the woodfloors and tile my husband uses a shopvac:). I hate that pulling something behind me while I vaccuum.

macs
May 2nd, 2013, 3:00 PM
I love my Shark

Mestral
May 7th, 2013, 4:51 PM
I have a bagless vacuum - is a Bissell. Has 5 different filters. Yeah, pain to shake the canister out, but I do it over the city's garbage can. :))What model do you have, and how long have you had it? (if you don't mind telling) I am in a similar situation to JoAnn. Although I like my present one, mostly, it is a 14 year old DirtDevil upright.

CenTexDave
May 7th, 2013, 5:25 PM
It's a Bissell Powerforce Bagless. I bought it about 2-1/2 years ago in Walmart. Only cost something like $45. It does a good job on carpeting and bare floors. Certainly nothing like a Kirby, but then it doesn't have a $1K price tag either. :)

JoAnn Purser
May 8th, 2013, 6:53 AM
What model do you have, and how long have you had it? (if you don't mind telling) I am in a similar situation to JoAnn. Although I like my present one, mostly, it is a 14 year old DirtDevil upright.

I have an Oreck XL and then bought a Shark to try the bag less and needed attachments for furniture and crevices . It works but not crazy about it.

Night Owl
May 8th, 2013, 10:25 PM
I have an Oreck XL and then bought a Shark to try the bag less and needed attachments for furniture and crevices . It works but not crazy about it.
I'm glad you aren't crazy about a vacuum.:)) That would be weird.