PDA

View Full Version : Good For Griner!

corgifan
April 18th, 2013, 7:59 PM
Brittney Griner came out publicly yesterday in an SI interview. From the sound of her words it doesn't seem like it was a huge weight on her shoulders, but it's a smart move. She says how she was bullied in school for being so different, bigger and gay, and that she wants to work with children who face issues like this. As a professional athlete she will have a large forum to voice her opinions.
http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/9185633/brittney-griner-comes-says-just-are

Ludwig
April 18th, 2013, 10:35 PM
I doubt that anyone was surprised. Nor will her coming out change people's regard for athletic prowess.

CenTexDave
April 19th, 2013, 7:37 AM
Is not a surprise to me. Most of them in the WNBA are gay.

kjpool
April 19th, 2013, 1:05 PM
Is not a surprise to me. Most of them in the WNBA are gay.

REALLY?!?! And you base this on what fact? (Not that it matters - BRAVO to Brittney Griner!!!!)

Night Owl
April 19th, 2013, 5:04 PM
She lost a lot of fans.

xzochye
April 19th, 2013, 5:21 PM
She lost a lot of fans.

No actually she didn't. A fan appreciates her talents not her social/private life. Who she is and the talents she has have not changed in the last 48 hours.

corgifan
April 19th, 2013, 6:23 PM
I can see how Griner will lose homophobic fans. Fortunately the number of those is a minority.

sojourner truth
April 19th, 2013, 9:09 PM
ONly in your mind.

Personally, I suspected a long time ago, but didn't want to appear judgemental about him.

Now, if RG III comes out, I will be dissapointed. But, Brittany did provide Baylor fans with a lot of hope and reason for pride for many years.

xzochye
April 19th, 2013, 9:21 PM
ONly in your mind.

Personally, I suspected a long time ago, but didn't want to appear judgemental about him.

Now, if RG III comes out, I will be dissapointed. But, Brittany did provide Baylor fans with a lot of hope and reason for pride for many years.

Her not him.

corgifan
April 19th, 2013, 10:18 PM
ONly in your mind.
Well OF COURSE when I say that the number of homophobes is the "minority" I'm not talking about you or those with your point of view. Obviously 100% of people with your point of view will be disappointed in Griner coming out and not be fans any longer. That's quite a majority!

sojourner truth
April 20th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Who said anything about not still being a fan. He's a great player. Always has been.

I do think it's a shame that Arizona got the contract. Seems like a waste of great talent for a 5-27 team. Might be just what they need, but Brittany will be a big fish in a dead water pond.

Oh, and "Phobe" is an inacuarcy, as it means "fear". Perhaps "homomalic" might better serve my beliefs. As in disgusted by and activity, not afraid of it.

Despite ones beliefs, it would be illogical to deny great talent despite ones sexual orientation. If a lesbian invented the cure for cancer, I'd be the first one to put her up on my shoulders and sing hurrah in the town square. Provided she wasn't 300 pounds.

xzochye
April 20th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Who said anything about not still being a fan.

She lost a lot of fans.

Truth NO said she lost a lot of fans. My response was about the same as yours. I said her fans are just that because of her ability and talents not her social/private life. She is still the same talented person she was before she came out.

sojourner truth
April 20th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Well, truth be told, she probably will lose a lot of former fans. It would be unreasonable to assume that everyone will support an openly gay sports figure...no matter who they are. Or what many would like attitudes to be. It just isn't going to happen.

What Msr. Griner does is her business...but she has made a decision and now she will live with the outcome, no matter what the results or how people feel. It would also be illogical to think that everyone would support her decision either. That's the way life is, in many decisions that are made.

xzochye
April 20th, 2013, 1:20 PM
Who said anything about not still being a fan. He's a great player. Always has been.

I do think it's a shame that Arizona got the contract. Seems like a waste of great talent for a 5-27 team. Might be just what they need, but Brittany will be a big fish in a dead water pond.

Oh, and "Phobe" is an inacuarcy, as it means "fear". Perhaps "homomalic" might better serve my beliefs. As in disgusted by and activity, not afraid of it.

Despite ones beliefs, it would be illogical to deny great talent despite ones sexual orientation. If a lesbian invented the cure for cancer, I'd be the first one to put her up on my shoulders and sing hurrah in the town square. Provided she wasn't 300 pounds.

She lost a lot of fans.

Well, truth be told, she probably will lose a lot of former fans. It would be unreasonable to assume that everyone will support an openly gay sports figure...no matter who they are. Or what many would like attitudes to be. It just isn't going to happen.

What Msr. Griner does is her business...but she has made a decision and now she will live with the outcome, no matter what the results or how people feel. It would also be illogical to think that everyone would support her decision either. That's the way life is, in many decisions that are made.

You are right in the fact that people may no longer like her. But those people were not "fans."

CenTexDave
April 20th, 2013, 2:01 PM
I'll let Griffin know what you said.
Plan for your demise. :))
Someone asked about my comment that most in the WNBA for gay. Their first superstar, Sheryl Swoopes, admitted it. Quite a few have come out since. Funny how so many of them aren't married.

CenTexDave
April 20th, 2013, 2:02 PM

Phoenix was 5-27 last year due to so many injuries - namely Diane Taurasi. She and Griner will instantly bring them a title.

Ludwig
April 20th, 2013, 2:06 PM
Taking nothing away from Ms Griner but the fact is that while with her advantage over the average woman with her basketball skills she could not hold a candle to the skills of the average male collegiate basketball player. So the very basis for her basketball success is compromised by her coming out. She is not a real woman nor half a real man. That must be a real psychological burden to bear. But then again she has not declared herself as either butch or dyke so who knows...

Rick
April 20th, 2013, 9:19 PM
I wish her and all people who are graduating all the success possible using the gifts that God has blessed them with.

I do wonder why someone who does not choose to live in accordance with the word of God would go to a Baptist university, but that would be between her and her God, and possibly, the university that paid for her education.

I can see how Griner will lose homophobic fans. Fortunately the number of those is a minority.
I think it's strange that you post this topic as if you support Griner, then you refer to her as a homo. That's quite disrespectful if you ask me.

onetime
April 21st, 2013, 8:55 AM
Brittney Griner came out publicly yesterday in an SI interview. From the sound of her words it doesn't seem like it was a huge weight on her shoulders, but it's a smart move. She says how she was bullied in school for being so different, bigger and gay, and that she wants to work with children who face issues like this. As a professional athlete she will have a large forum to voice her opinions.
http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/9185633/brittney-griner-comes-says-just-are

Who cares, it should not matter what she is or what she does. The fact that it is news and it is posted on here just celebrates the fact that these people are different and there are still Americans that do not homophobic, you think European women basketball players have to publicly come out? No one cares over there, the bible states that Christians should not judge thy neighbors. Now whether you believe that it is wrong or right is a completely different thing and she will likely lose "a" fan that is just a raging homophobe.

Why does ones sexuality even come into play in this situation? Will she be kissing women during timeouts? I find it fascinating that bigotry is such an inherited and economical characteristic. No one is born as a bigot, the bible does not say hate these people either, but somewhere there is a spark that makes it a crime. The economic side is interesting as well in that people are usually only bigots to a certain extent. If someone's favorite sports team had more then 40% of its players classified as being bisexual, no stops watching the games, particularly if that team was good. Most would not quit there quality job with benefits and good pay if they found out the owner of the business was gay, or jewish, or a woman. Does the carpenter walk in the house of the gay couple and say I am not going to install your wood floors for 8k because your gay and I do not agree with your way of living? It is all a matter of convenience, with that said we do have overt bigots that plain do not care about anything.

onetime
April 21st, 2013, 9:05 AM
I wish her and all people who are graduating all the success possible using the gifts that God has blessed them with.

I do wonder why someone who does not choose to live in accordance with the word of God would go to a Baptist university, but that would be between her and her God, and possibly, the university that paid for her education.

I think it's strange that you post this topic as if you support Griner, then you refer to her as a homo. That's quite disrespectful if you ask me.

This goes back to my post that I just wrote, in that it is all a matter of convenience. This is a little off track, but it speaks to the same principles, when the Texas Western Miners won the NCAA championship with the black players it was seen prior to their championship as going against the social grain. Holy smokes they won and then the practice slowly began to become the norm because people wanted to have the best opportunity to win. With that said I am pretty sure that the Baylor staff and players have known about her sexual preference since she walked on the campus, but ultimately they want to win.

Sports are like a microcosm of life in that certain actions and behavior are considered taboo unless that person has something to offer in return to make people overlook the action or behavior. Griner could have been Jewish, agnostic, muslim, or buddhist and they would have still recruited her and kept her each year because she gave them a good chance at winning.

Rick
April 21st, 2013, 9:14 AM
I thought we weren't supposed to say, "these people" (http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php/18095-Political-Forum-being-hosted-by-the-Killeen-Branch-NAACP?p=259440#post259440)anymore.

onetime
April 21st, 2013, 9:30 AM
I thought we weren't supposed to say, "these people" (http://www.centextalk.com/vb/showthread.php/18095-Political-Forum-being-hosted-by-the-Killeen-Branch-NAACP?p=259440#post259440)anymore.

You would focus on that one thing, but your right. My bad

Rick
April 21st, 2013, 12:08 PM
I was going to comment on how the Bible does actually say that we are supposed to judge people, but my wife was ready to go to HEB, plus my truck needed a visit to the Car Wash Barn, so I figured I'd follow the philosophy of brevity being the soul of wit, and not get into trouble by making my wife wait.

Ludwig
April 21st, 2013, 12:18 PM
Yes indeed. The bible does ordain us to judge the behavior as well as attempt to assist the offender to correct his/her behavior. We are not to judge the person.

xzochye
April 21st, 2013, 12:24 PM
Their first superstar, Sheryl Swoopes, admitted it. Quite a few have come out since. Funny how so many of them aren't married.

I don't think Swoopes is a legitimately gay woman. She just likes to play around with whoever. She was once married to her son's father and she is currently engaged again to some guy.

She has a little boy that was born in '97. She had him the same day my friend had her baby and she autographed little baby diapers for all the new mom's that were there when she was.

onetime
April 21st, 2013, 1:13 PM
I was going to comment on how the Bible does actually say that we are supposed to judge people, but my wife was ready to go to HEB, plus my truck needed a visit to the Car Wash Barn, so I figured I'd follow the philosophy of brevity being the soul of wit, and not get into trouble by making my wife wait.

Do tell where that is located please

Ludwig
April 21st, 2013, 1:51 PM
Yes indeed. The bible does ordain us to judge the behavior as well as attempt to assist the offender to correct his/her behavior. We are not to judge the person.

Rick
April 21st, 2013, 2:14 PM
Do tell where that is located please
Matthew 7:6:

“Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

How can you determine if a person a dog or a swine unless you judge them?

Ludwig
April 21st, 2013, 2:21 PM
You quoted a common aphorism of the time. Our Lord was not calling people swine and dogs. The only way we have for judging people is by their behavior. As Jesus said, "By their fruits you will know them."

gnatsum
April 21st, 2013, 3:34 PM
Don't think Baylor would've recruited her if she was a Mormon...or a Seventh-Day Adventist. :O)
Does BU still have a "mandatory" requirement for its students to attend church services on Sundays?

CenTexDave
April 21st, 2013, 3:51 PM
I don't think Swoopes is a legitimately gay woman. She just likes to play around with whoever. She was once married to her son's father and she is currently engaged again to some guy.

She has a little boy that was born in '97. She had him the same day my friend had her baby and she autographed little baby diapers for all the new mom's that were there when she was.

I know - puzzling to me also, but she admitted it. Probably bi.

Rick
April 21st, 2013, 4:27 PM
Don't think Baylor would've recruited her if she was a Mormon...or a Seventh-Day Adventist. :O)
Does BU still have a "mandatory" requirement for its students to attend church services on Sundays?
Probably not on Sundays, but at UMHB, they held Chapel on Wednesdays and Fridays and for Freshmen, four semesters were required, I went there full time as a Junior, so I had to attend two semesters of Chapel. Scheduled like any other class, just didn't cost anything.

At UMHB, they didn't care that I was Catholic.

Sadly, where big money sports are involved, I doubt if they care much about religious affiliation of the stars.

ithoughtso
April 22nd, 2013, 6:38 AM
I don't understand why straight people are held to such a high standard as to what they can say about what they like or don't like. It almost seems as though straight people are forbidden to voice their dislike of the homosexual lifestyle.

xzochye
April 22nd, 2013, 7:39 AM
I don't understand why straight people are held to such a high standard as to what they can say about what they like or don't like. It almost seems as though straight people are forbidden to voice their dislike of the homosexual lifestyle.

I have no problem with people expressing their like or dislike. What I don't like is when they "like" someone until they find out they are gay. It is the same person you knew 24 hours ago.

prideworks
April 22nd, 2013, 7:50 AM
Taking nothing away from Ms Griner but the fact is that while with her advantage over the average woman with her basketball skills she could not hold a candle to the skills of the average male collegiate basketball player. So the very basis for her basketball success is compromised by her coming out. She is not a real woman nor half a real man. That must be a real psychological burden to bear. But then again she has not declared herself as either butch or dyke so who knows...

What the ???? And why would you even attempt to compare her skills to a man? Hello, she plays in the Women's League...:rolleyes

I would say she's all woman....how can you prove otherwise? Contrary to (what is in my opinion)an ignorant belief, lesbians don't love women because we want to be a man (ick). I love being a woman and would not have my orientation different even if I could change it. I'm not "half" anything; I'm all me; just as God made me.:)

CenTexDave
April 22nd, 2013, 10:04 AM
I seem to recall that idiot Mark Cuban said she could play in the NBA, and Griner even said she would like to try out for the Mavericks.
She'd last ten seconds before LeBron dunked on her and crushed her.:))

sojourner truth
April 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
I have met Brittany a few times at the airport, and she really is a nice person. Very quiet and almost shy in nature. I always get in troiuble with the wife when I tell her "I don't care what you say, she looks like a he".

It did make me wonder if anyone had taken the trouble of actually determining what sex she was. I mean, there always is the "shower room" confirmation I suppose, but I wouldn't want to be the one making that verification.

That or the Adams apple test. No matter what, she has talent and nobody can take that away from her.

CenTexDave
April 22nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
She is 6'8", which is about 4 - 5" taller than the average center in the WNBA. Of course she has talent, just as we would if we were 4-5" taller than the average NBA center. Hell - we'd be 7'4" or so, and rich!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))

ithoughtso
April 22nd, 2013, 7:00 PM
I have no problem with people expressing their like or dislike. What I don't like is when they "like" someone until they find out they are gay. It is the same person you knew 24 hours ago.

So, once a person finds out that the morals or lifestyle of someone like griner differs from their own they cant change their mind? One I find out someone is not what I approve of, then I am well within my rights to change my opinion. I thought vick was a pretty good QB until I found out he was a dog fighter. Now I think he is a piece of crap. People can change their minds and have a right to.

ethelm
April 22nd, 2013, 7:20 PM
Ok, people are you REALLY surprised that she "came out". She is an extremely talented young lady and no matter what her orientation is she will continue to be a talented LADY!!!!

ithoughtso
April 23rd, 2013, 6:47 AM
I think in this country we have put too much emphasis on "talent" instead of morals. Maybe it is time to put some not so talented folks on the court that have some morals and healthy upbringing instead of the "talented" train wrecks.

sojourner truth
April 23rd, 2013, 8:08 AM
Have to admit...that made me chuckle as I was just thinking about Dennis Rodman.

It's amazing what people will put up with in the name of sports. We've come a long way from Jackie Robinson to Dennis haven't we?

CenTexDave
April 23rd, 2013, 8:13 AM
Dennis the Worm. :)):)):))

Citizen/Voter/Resident
April 23rd, 2013, 10:22 AM
This whole thread just highlights the fact that religion can be bought. A school like Baylor forsakes it moral standards to drain the fans monies through sports is sick.

sojourner truth
April 23rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Oh, get real. Baylor isn't a Christian school any more than CTC is. UMHB, maybe, but not Baylor...despite its heritage and claims.

College sports is all about money. ALL colleges. The biggest drive I have ever seen has been for the new stadium complex. The funds were raised on Baylors excellent sporting reputation these past few years. With RGIII and Brittany Griner gone, I suspect the powerhouse will be greatly diminished.

Comparing Baylors moral standard as any different than any other college is ridiculous in lightof the many "scandals" the school has undergone. Having a moral standard is all fine and dandy, until some student takes things down his own path. That's not the schools fault. How they handle the scandal IS the schools standard.

Last time I checked, nobody was forceing Baylor fans to buy tickets or donate money to the sports program or new stadium complex with a gun. There is a difference between something being drained and something that is being filled willingly.

Night Owl
April 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
This whole thread just highlights the fact that religion can be bought. A school like Baylor forsakes it moral standards to drain the fans monies through sports is sick.

All this post highlights is some ones dislike of religion. A college or any building doesn't have moral standards. Baylor is a for profit organization like most higher education organizations and trying to compare Baylor to religion is really dumb. But since you have an agenda I can understand. You are starting to sound like IE.

Ang
April 23rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
I've been a fan and will remain a fan but I have more respect for those who keep those personal issues to themselves. I don't want to know your business.

Citizen/Voter/Resident
April 23rd, 2013, 11:47 AM
All this post highlights is some ones dislike of religion. A college or any building doesn't have moral standards. Baylor is a for profit organization like most higher education organizations and trying to compare Baylor to religion is really dumb. But since you have an agenda I can understand. You are starting to sound like IE.

Get over yourself, I have no agenda except in your mind. Are you telling me that Baylor isn't a Religion Based College? Aren't ALL religions "for profit organizations"?

Night Owl
April 23rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Get over yourself, I have no agenda except in your mind. Are you telling me that Baylor isn't a Religion Based College? Aren't ALL religions "for profit organizations"?
Sure, whatever you spout. No, all religions are not for profit.:doh:doh

Citizen/Voter/Resident
April 23rd, 2013, 1:11 PM
Sure, whatever you spout. No, all religions are not for profit.:doh:doh
What religion is not for profit organization? Gains not a single thing, property, or artifact of value?

sojourner truth
April 23rd, 2013, 2:50 PM
Well, I believeif you look for the status of churches, they are non profit organizations by law, and for tax reasons. They do need money to operate, as do any entities that have a mission. Much money goes to outreach missions, and to the needy. Some for the salaries of staff etc..

A college, any college, whether faith based or not is a for profit organization. They have to pay for staff and salaries just like any other business.

I suppose the only difference between a church and a college is that the church gets its dollars from members donations (called tithes and offerings) while a college relies on tuition and donations. How the money is used dependson the needs and mission of the church or college.

But then, trying to explain this to some people is like talking to a brick, as they see nothing but money hungry pastors lurking behind every altar.

I guess you could say those folks were serving a "Non prophet" organization.

cnjbond
April 23rd, 2013, 3:12 PM
Well, I believeif you look for the status of churches, they are non profit organizations by law, and for tax reasons. They do need money to operate, as do any entities that have a mission. Much money goes to outreach missions, and to the needy. Some for the salaries of staff etc..

A college, any college, whether faith based or not is a for profit organization. They have to pay for staff and salaries just like any other business.

I suppose the only difference between a church and a college is that the church gets its dollars from members donations (called tithes and offerings) while a college relies on tuition and donations. How the money is used dependson the needs and mission of the church or college.

But then, trying to explain this to some people is like talking to a brick, as they see nothing but money hungry pastors lurking behind every altar.

I'll just add my 2 cents since we're off topic anyway...I think Christians (as a whole) have helped promote that image of being money hungry by a few bad apples. When you turn on the TV and see all of these mega churches, with "preachers" blinding you with their bling bling and encouraging members to give, give, give to be blessed, blessed, blessed (while those same members are foreclosing on their homes but the church is buying property and another jet to "spread the Gospel") then no wonder people have a jaded view. Again, I say it's a few bad apples that hurt the image of the rest because those are the ones that are in the lime light because they can afford their own tv programming and what not. Sometimes I honestly wonder how much of that tithe and offering actually ends up back in mission work and the community in the form of helping the less fortunate...

Citizen/Voter/Resident
April 23rd, 2013, 3:21 PM

NO WHERE did I say anything about "money hungry pastors", No Where.
And being an Agnostic, I am not obligated to any "prophet", "pastor", or "religion". And I like it this way.
I have no qualms with your Christian beliefs and I am happy they fill your needs. Afford me the same courtesies please.

sojourner truth
April 23rd, 2013, 5:55 PM
Hey, your the one that brought religion into the subject, so quit griping when someone snipes back at you. Don't bring it up, and I will just ignore you again like I usually do.

Then you won't have to try and impress everyone with your agnosticy. We got it 35 posts ago.

Grammar Rules
April 23rd, 2013, 6:55 PM
Well, I believeif you look for the status of churches, they are non profit organizations by law, and for tax reasons....

Y'all, Baylor is non-profit and here is the filing:

Tax Exemption Status
The State of Texas charges sales tax on all purchases made by individuals or entities within the state. A non-profit organization having tax-exempt status under the IRS designation of 501(c)(3) or (4) will be given sales tax exemption by the State of Texas. Baylor University has been designated as a 501(c)(3) federal tax-exempt tax organization by the Internal Revenue Service, and has received Texas sales tax exemption from the Texas Comptroller....

https://www.baylor.edu/financial_services/tax/index.php?id=37835

Hospitals, churches, educational institutions, organizations, all have to use money to pay bills, salaries, fund programs, buy supplies, etc. that does not make them for profit. Have any of you guys ever started a business? Had to pay franchise tax? Form a partnership or corporation? Started a charity and filed for tax-exempt 501c3 status?

onetime
April 23rd, 2013, 7:13 PM
I think in this country we have put too much emphasis on "talent" instead of morals. Maybe it is time to put some not so talented folks on the court that have some morals and healthy upbringing instead of the "talented" train wrecks.

Good and bad point, good because it is true in every industry, sports are just a small snap shot of the real world at times. Yes we as consumers would rather have a quality product sold to us, but we as investors, whether your investment is through day trading on your own or through a broker or a roth ira, usually want the highest returns so that may mean doing some less then moral business practices. I love watching UT play but and I would love to see them win a championship and sometimes that means that they may have to blur the recruiting lines to get some blue chip athletes to play at the school. Personally I would rather them do that and live on the edge a little then serve up the product they have over the past couple of years. I think it is like wanting to know how the great tasting hot dog or chicken nugget is normally made and then being surprised wanting reform and being upset that the price and or taste is not the same.

Also are we calling Griner a train wreck?

Citizen/Voter/Resident
April 23rd, 2013, 9:54 PM
Hey, your the one that brought religion into the subject, so quit griping when someone snipes back at you. Don't bring it up, and I will just ignore you again like I usually do.

Then you won't have to try and impress everyone with your agnosticy. We got it 35 posts ago.

You and NO are the ones that constantly bring my personal beliefs into discussions. Please continue to ignore me, Please.

Citizen/Voter/Resident
April 23rd, 2013, 9:59 PM
Once again ST and NO have been found to be wrong on their postings ( All Colleges are for profit).

sojourner truth
April 24th, 2013, 12:44 PM

Now, what part of this don't you understand CVR?

As I said before, you're the one who keeps flaunting your status in everyones face. Stop it, and maybe you can get some peace. I guess it is a good substitue for logic however, which seems to be beyond your grasp. The nanner nanner doo doo stuff gets old.

Citizen/Voter/Resident
April 24th, 2013, 4:02 PM
Now, what part of this don't you understand CVR?

As I said before, you're the one who keeps flaunting your status in everyones face. Stop it, and maybe you can get some peace. I guess it is a good substitue for logic however, which seems to be beyond your grasp. The nanner nanner doo doo stuff gets old.

Y'all, Baylor is non-profit and here is the filing:

Tax Exemption Status
The State of Texas charges sales tax on all purchases made by individuals or entities within the state. A non-profit organization having tax-exempt status under the IRS designation of 501(c)(3) or (4) will be given sales tax exemption by the State of Texas. Baylor University has been designated as a 501(c)(3) federal tax-exempt tax organization by the Internal Revenue Service, and has received Texas sales tax exemption from the Texas Comptroller....

Baylor is a NON PROFIT School.

sojourner truth
April 24th, 2013, 4:53 PM
OK, I misunderstood your post. I thought you'd said it was a for profit organization.

Not that it has anything to do with Britney Griner and her coming out of the closet as a Lesbian. Unless you are advocating some sort of litmus test for morality before being allowed to enter a Christian college. If that were the case, there'd only be a handful of students, and darn few professors. I don't think you are though.

Now I'm wondering if it is supported by taxpayers dollars like CTC...But I'd bet it isn't.

Grammar Rules
April 24th, 2013, 7:46 PM
Baylor is not supported by tax dollars, unless you count the indirect student aid some receive: Student Financial Aid, Pell Grants, GI Bill, etc.

Baylor University is an excellent institution. My great-great grandfather was on the faculty; my sister-in-law, my husband, our lawyer, and one of my cousins are Baylor grads, and I did some graduate work there. We LOVE Baylor! None of us are Baptists; in fact, they'll let 'most any sinner in. They will try to save you, though. ;)

CenTexDave
April 24th, 2013, 8:02 PM
Non-profit my ass. They can claim that all they want, I supposed CTC claims it also. I used to work there - they are about as much non-profit as is General Motors or AT&T.:)

Rick
April 25th, 2013, 3:13 AM
I don't think GM helps you make your point.:))

Grammar Rules
April 25th, 2013, 4:51 AM
Hospitals, churches, educational institutions, organizations, all have to use money to pay bills, salaries, fund programs, buy supplies, etc. that does not make them for profit. Have any of you guys ever started a business? Had to pay franchise tax? Form a partnership or corporation? Started a charity and filed for tax-exempt 501c3 status?

Once again, no one answered my question above. Dave and others are confusing taking in money and paying salaries with making a profit. If you had founded or owned a business (as my husband and I did) or filed paperwork for a non-profit (as I did--Parent-Teacher Org) you would have a better understanding of it.

gnatsum
April 25th, 2013, 7:32 PM
I still rememberback a few years ago (2002), when then-U.S. Representative Tom Delay spoke to some group of his constituents, and implored them to NOT send their kids to Baylor OR A&M, as both schools were no longer "conservative" enough for good Republican children to attend...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Texas+toast%3A+criticism+of+Texas+A%26M+and+Baylor +lands+Rep.+Tom+DeLay...-a087510398

corgifan
May 18th, 2013, 5:31 PM
Not sure that Griner made a good choice in an interview with ESPN. She stated that Kim Mulkey advised her to keep her sexuality quiet for the sake of recruiting.

sojourner truth
May 18th, 2013, 5:50 PM
If I was Phoenix, I'd check her chromosome count.