PDA

View Full Version : Range time with the youngest

Dagobert II
March 29th, 2013, 6:39 PM
I went to the range today with my youngest who is the only of my three children that really has any interest in firearms. We fired our 9mm's and learned the following lessons:

1. Each of the weapons is as accurate as ever. Hitting our aim point wasn't a problem.

2. If you're really attached to using that red dot sight, make sure the battery is still good or that you have a replacement. Otherwise, you'll have to remember how to use the "iron" (they're actually plastic) sights on the weapon.

3. That 50 round magazine worked flawlessly in the Glock but it will only load into the weapon with the slide open. It just won't seat in the magazine well with the slide closed.

IronErnin
March 29th, 2013, 8:08 PM
I hear that using extra large capacity magazines has a detrimental effect on the magazine retention spring. It is supposed to cause premature wear and the magazines begin dropping out unexpectedly.

Dagobert II
March 29th, 2013, 9:09 PM
I hear that using extra large capacity magazines has a detrimental effect on the magazine retention spring. It is supposed to cause premature wear and the magazines begin dropping out unexpectedly. I'll have to check that out, maybe get some spare parts given that Glock parts tend to be relatively cheap.

rk103
April 3rd, 2013, 3:47 PM
I'll have to check that out, maybe get some spare parts given that Glock parts tend to be relatively cheap.
Usually free, lifetime warranty

IronErnin
April 3rd, 2013, 4:07 PM
I'd check with the manufacturer and see what the life of that spring is supposed to be with that magazine. There's a reason you don't often see real soldiers taping magazines back to back like some do in the movies.

kantwin
April 3rd, 2013, 5:44 PM

Dagobert II
April 3rd, 2013, 5:46 PM
Perhaps spring technology has improved. I haven't had any trouble with my 100 and 50 round Calico magazines, of course they have a clutch that allows for the release of spring tension with the magazine fully loaded. I've never heard of anyone ever having any problem with the factory Glock magazines, up to and including the 30 round 9mm. This 50 round 9mm mag for the Glock isn't Glock factory but its worked well so far, though I wouldn't feel comfortable storing it with 50 rounds worth of spring tension on it.

Night Owl
April 3rd, 2013, 6:14 PM
What's all the fuss about? There is one leading Gun Control Lib rep in Congress that states they are one time use. Once it is empty it can't be used again. Talk about a dumbass. But I forget he is a democrap.

IronErnin
April 3rd, 2013, 7:02 PM
I would say that the mags HE buys are single use. Remember Dumbocraps don't reuse or repair things. They just recycle...;)