PDA

View Full Version : Seizure Cat

bytem
May 12th, 2009, 3:06 PM
I have a 6 year old,14 pound cat who started having occasional seizures(every 3 month) at age 3.He had all the blood-work and no reason for the seizures was found.The problem is, when I put him in his carrier or in the car to take him to the vet he will promptly have a seizure. How can I transport him safely without stressing him or myself? Thank you for your time!!!!!!!8-;

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
May 12th, 2009, 9:41 PM
Thanks for the great question.

Seizures in cats are USUALLY of a more serious origin than seizures in dogs. Dogs typically have epilepsy and can be controlled with anticonvulsants. Cats on the other hand are more likely to have some other disease process that is causing the seizures though epilepsy is not impossible.

Inflammation from a viral infection or other infectious causes can be the source as well as metabolic problems that might impact blood sugar levels. Cardiac conditions that cause a reduction in blood flow to the brain should also be considered. Finally, neoplastic or anatomical abnormalities would be uncommon but not impossible.

It sounds like the "stress" of traveling in the car is the impetus for the events. This makes me wonder about cardiac issues as sometimes arrthymias can cause a reduction of blood flow to the brain and a subsequent seizure. Some medications that can reduce the anxiety of travel can actually lower the seizure threshold and make seizures more likely and they should be avoided (acepromazine is the main one). There is a product by the name of Feliway that can be sprayed inside a cat carrier that uses a synthetic pheramone to relax fractious and anxious cats. Some of my clients have had good results with this product.

My overall recommendation concerning this cat would be to make sure that you inform your veterinarian every time a seizure occurs and have the cat examined frequently to detect any subtle changes in condition. The cause of seizures in cats can be difficult to pin down and often we rely on the expertise of veterinary neurologists (Austin or College Station) to help us get our diagnosis.

Good luck with the kitty and I wish you both well.

bytem
May 13th, 2009, 7:17 AM
Thank you for your reply. Some of the things you mention have not been brought up to me and I will certainly have him checked again.